Re: Xanadu Server

by DI3HARD139 » Post

I don't seem to have the issue on 0.4.13-stable

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

so i have to delete and re-install?
ugh... not today. will do it some time tomorrow.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

#1 I just installed the roughly 1 hour old daily - works. No issues at all so far.

#2 Longer story:
Since there is an actively ongoing discussion of wiping the map, I wanted to be prepared (and hoped to be able to take the player file over...)
So stuffed all I valued into my bags... Sorry, fellow players, while I value you, you just didn't fit... ;-) Move on your own pls.

Check the numbers in this composed screenshot:

Oh and this is only what I had in chests, not what I had already used for building.

As an explanation to my inventory layout:

Bag 1 is always ores, ingots, gems and rare stuff.
Bag 2 is always lights, glass, torches, food reserves and such.
Bag 3 is multi purpose, mostly building materials, but here all I could squeeze in, and
Bag 4 is always spare tools, minecarts, books, chests etc etc.

Also the HUD bar has usually this layout, 4 tools to the right, torch, food, building stuff.

OK peeps, have fun, noob101
Attachments
inventory_oO.png
inventory_oO.png (792.77 KiB) Viewed 799 times

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Very nice!
I too was wondering if the users were going to be wiped or not, maybe Ten could elucidate?

firefox

by firefox » Post

i heard it will be done with agreement of the major players.

EDIT: i downgraded from the development version to stable 4.13 and still get the "unsupported nodebox" error ...
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

I have the most recent Minetest daily update. It seemed to fix what was wrong.

I have enabled my local map saving so that I can have hard copy of all loaded areas in Xanadu. :) I will miss current version.

I also heard of some kind of race for land on new map. What's going on there? Although, maybe I misunderstood.
-- Texan :)

kaadmy
GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Post

It seems that the owner of the Samson's world server might be coming back with a new server soon ;)
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

firefox

by firefox » Post

Texan wrote:I have the most recent Minetest daily update. It seemed to fix what was wrong.

I have enabled my local map saving so that I can have hard copy of all loaded areas in Xanadu. :) I will miss current version.

I also heard of some kind of race for land on new map. What's going on there? Although, maybe I misunderstood.
*updating minetest version*

i heard nothing about the new map. i don't even know what everyone voted for...
can you explain a little more?

EDIT: update complete - it works, yay! =(^.^)=
kaadmy wrote:It seems that the owner of the Samson's world server might be coming back with a new server soon ;)
when we steal players from other servers, we never give them back. :P
you have no chance against Xanadu.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Texan

by Texan » Post

That is all I saw for a split second. Didn't understand what was going on, that is why I asked.
firefox wrote:when we steal players from other servers, we never give them back :P
I agree. hehe

firefox

by firefox » Post

i guess he meant that you have to run before everyone slams their protectors on the map.
whoever finds a nice spot first can protect it.
if he really uses only a single protector at spawn, then whoever gets there first can reserve the spawn land and gain the privilege/burden to build the main roads.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Texan

by Texan » Post

I guess that makes better sense. haha
Thank you.

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

firefox wrote:i guess he meant that you have to run before everyone slams their protectors on the map.
whoever finds a nice spot first can protect it.
if he really uses only a single protector at spawn, then whoever gets there first can reserve the spawn land and gain the privilege/burden to build the main roads.
I wouldn't like that area.
Person who protects the land might not be interested in making road, maybe he wants to just build dirt house, play few days and move on to new server. :P
Also there would be big chance every path would end up having ugly messy cobble roads.

Which is quite unfair, since we have so many awesome pro builders who would love to take the job of building beautiful roads for the community.

firefox

by firefox » Post

i heard that there will be a voting to select who will build the spawn. (i vote for iska)
and i think we should do the same for the main roads.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

firefox wrote:i heard that there will be a voting to select who will build the spawn. (i vote for iska)
and i think we should do the same for the main roads.
I absolutly agree.
I vote for Iska for building spawn too.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

I vote for iska too (?)
Btw, what if iska doesn't wants to... it's a lot of work

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I'm certain everyone will have a lot of fun on the new server, but I still find the whole thing terribly depressing. Xanadu is a community, but it is also a place with history. So many wonderful builds, so many long hours of work. I'm going to miss all of those wonderful and interesting places.
1114, 572, -442 : Sky City with Xanthin's Queen of Steam, Neon's millennium Falcon, xXRaizelXx's ice tower, and many other nice builds.
100, 0, 100 : Neon's Space Station
1952, 2, -1062 : xXRaizelXx's city
1625, 5, -486 : Xanthin's Carivansi
678, -13, -6 : firegryph_'s underwater city
460, 1, -7 : Neato's Football Stadium
-1020, 2, -447 : pixel art of Keira Knightley by Hal2
8965, 2, 19109 : neri2's dock beautiful canyon
-17422, 2,-21825 : Kelena's hockey rink
1231, 3, -158 : Big3's Megaplex
17492, 7,-20325 : neozerosv's sphinx
11028, 31, 16576 : ice castle
-811, 68, 327 : Skrote's house

just to list a few.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Klingon Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Neon's space station. I watched Mese wings glitter in the dark near the Ice Stargate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

make archived copy, available via torrent?

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Fixerol is right, I bet some people will seed.

Zen

by Zen » Post

Hm.

So do all the servers have to restart over to take advantage of the new features in the 4.14 release in a few days?
Last edited by Zen on Sat Mar 26, 2016 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

firefox

by firefox » Post

Dragonop wrote:I vote for iska too (?)
Btw, what if iska doesn't wants to... it's a lot of work
then we just make him want to do it :P
Kilarin wrote:All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.
there are methods to save those moments. ;)
keeping everything also means keeping the griefed, abandoned areas and the map corruption.
i once lost everything because of the map corruption ...
Zen wrote:So do all the servers have to restart over to take advantage of the new features in the 4.14 release in a few days?
no idea. but the new mapgen is completely different.
i guess the main reason here is the data corruption in the save files, so other servers who didn't have that problem could keep their maps.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

If player files don't get imported to new map, will passwords at least be preserved for players? Or will there also be players grabbing up other player's names?

Neon
In-game: Neon

by Neon » Post

Unlikely, auouymous.
With the last map wipe, no player information was kept (which means those people trying to store things up in their bags are out of luck). This also means that each person will have to log in with a fresh password to "lock in" their username for their exclusive future use.

It would be possible for someone else to get your username (if they are faster than you are in logging in the first time.) As a server admin, I would not attempt to arbitrate the situations where that happened, because it would be very difficult to establish who "owns" a given username and that the person raising the stink is really the right person. Therefore the proper fix for this situation is to:
A) Be the first person to log in with that username
B) Failing that, find a different username
C) Allow the "imposter" establish themselves as the imposter because their building style is not the same as your (presumably well known) building style and their builds are not at the same quality as yours. The community will recognize your new username and honor you for it, if the community would have recognized builds with your (previous) username on them.

I would like to re-iterate (for our younger builders) that moaning or complaining about lost usernames are not likely to get much nice, positive attention. It is likely to be treated like much of the other moaning and complaining is treated by people who come to the server to have fun. Don't be someone who complains, or you might get more to complain about.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Much as I hate the wipe, since it's going to happen, I'll give my advice. And that would be for there to be a period of at least several days to a week when Shinjin and Ten allow only a preselected group of builders access to protect areas where spawn and the main roads will be. Actual building can be done once everyone else arrives on the server.

While we are discussing roads, I have a question about how they will work with the new protectors. It will certainly be MUCH easier to protect a large area when protectors have a radius of 10 instead of 5 nodes. BUT, it's going to make roads a bit impractical isn't it? If you place your protectors in the middle of the road, and make your road even a whopping 9 nodes wide, it will still be 6 nodes past the curb before anyone can build. That's pretty far. How should we deal with roads and the new protector width?

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

Kilarin wrote:While we are discussing roads, I have a question about how they will work with the new protectors. It will certainly be MUCH easier to protect a large area when protectors have a radius of 10 instead of 5 nodes. BUT, it's going to make roads a bit impractical isn't it? If you place your protectors in the middle of the road, and make your road even a whopping 9 nodes wide, it will still be 6 nodes past the curb before anyone can build. That's pretty far. How should we deal with roads and the new protector width?
It would be easy to create small(5) and large(10) radius protectors in the mod. The recipe for large protector could use 8 small protectors since it covers 8 times the area. Could also use fewer than 8 if it should be cheaper, but require at least 2 smalls.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

auouymous wrote:It would be easy to create small(5) and large(10) radius protectors in the mod. The recipe for large protector could use 8 small protectors since it covers 8 times the area. Could also use fewer than 8 if it should be cheaper, but require at least 2 smalls.
I had suggested different sized protectors once before, and Ten pointed out to me that it would slow down the mod. Currently the protector mod must check to see if a node is within a standard preset distance (10 in this case) of any existing protector. If we add, say, one small protector with a radius of 3, then we now have to have TWO lists of protectors, and do TWO checks to see if the node is within a distance of 3 from a protector on the small list, and if not, THEN we have to check if it is within a distance of 10 from a large protector. thereby doubling the number of checks required for every interaction with a node on the server.

if that doubling would not be a major problem, then having a smaller protector would be GREAT. But if not, I don't know if adding lag is likely to be accepted.