[Server] Xanadu

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Xanadu Server

by firefox » Post

Josh-Hall wrote:Any more information on why the server is down?
Maybe a modem crash ...
My W-Lan spontaneously disintegrates because of interferences from a nearby construction site.
Dragonop wrote:killing "anyone" that is near any point, it's not fair, don't do that
It's the wilderness and PvP is on, I can attack whenever I like.
But I agree that it sounds too aggressive, so let me say it this way:
"The next time I see someone watering the flowers on the glacier, I will give them a very friendly bear hug."
twoelk wrote:because my avatar keeps starving when I go afk to make a coffee or so
The hunger system was changed to be action-based. You shouldn't starve when you do nothing.
(Unless you harvest and roast the coffee beans yourself.)
Texan wrote:If there is any way that I can help, please tell me. :)
I thought about covering the mountain in protectors, but I don't want to appear selfish ...
Maybe we can restore the damage, make it part of the road system and build a little tourist shop on top or something like that.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

gaf99

by gaf99 » Post

Don't spill it on your Bodhi. lol

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

firefox wrote:
I thought about covering the mountain in protectors, but I don't want to appear selfish ...
Maybe we can restore the damage, make it part of the road system and build a little tourist shop on top or something like that.
I think that's a great idea; I'll get on that as soon as possible.
-- Texan :)

neozerosv
GitHub: neozerosv
IRC: neozerosv
In-game: neozerosv

by neozerosv » Post

The server is back and running guys. Shinji said it the server stalled.

Bonny

by Bonny » Post

neozerosv wrote:The server is back and running guys. Shinji said it the server stalled.
*runs to server*
When life gives you lemons, just bake some lemon cupcakes
Dream as if you"ll live forever, eat cupcakes as if you would die today

Texan

by Texan » Post

Yay!
Thanks.

Merurino
In-game: Mer

by Merurino » Post

Firefox, can you give me tips on how to do damage control around water?

I have a "farm" pretty high in the sky. However, my friend was playing around with water and some dropped from the ground. Now there's a massive waterfall, we tried to go down there (by using a parachute and adding a line of dirt down in order to try to reach the end of the accidental waterfall) but as far as we build the "down" ladder, the lower the water gets and more it spreads. We're still far away from the ground but I can't imagine the size of this when and if it gets there. Luckily there's no city around our farm. We tried buckets but they don't work. In this situation where everything on that block of "sky" bellow our farm should be destroyed can a admin help or we're on our own?

Now I'm starting to get why it took you so long to fix the floods! Because apparently even if you take out the source of water in some cases it keeps flowing down. I'm so mad and disappointed that I can't fix this on my own. Since we're slightly above 1000 nodes high, the water is never reaching the ground, but it is around 100 nodes high already =\

Edit: I have a suggestion, it would be interesting to have an item that evaporates the water in a 6x6 square (or even more than 1 item, each having from 3x3 to 6x6 range) if there's no protection around for example. Just evaporates the water, doesn't melt the snow or removes anything else. This tool could be crafted in order to contain these situations, I believe this would make Firefox life waaaay much easier. If I had a tool like this and the priv to fly for 30 minutes around my farm I believe I would fix this situation easily.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

Merurino wrote:Firefox, can you give me tips on how to do damage control around water?
I made the mistake of using a column of water to drop down to my early mine, 2000 blocks deep. Took forever to remove it...

Nerd pole from the ground up to the water, directly below it but one block over (not diagonal). Once you reach the water you can slowly remove the nerd pole as you follow the water flow. Sometimes the water requires a block update and having the nerd pole next to it makes this easy.

firefox

by firefox » Post

the only way to remove flowing water is to wait for it to flow away.
of course it will be stuck in the air and other places when it gets massive, sou you have to place any block or item next to it or in it's place to remove it.

in your case, you would have to swim inside the waterfall until it reaches the ground, then surround it to stop further spreading and start to remove it from the top to bottom.
the problem is that you can't build in the air and using 200 or higher towers will take a very long time just to remove 1 water tile of many.
i guess the best way is to stay away from the water to prevent it from spreading further and ask Ten to use worldedit to remove it.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

If the spill is too massive (or high up, in your case), I second firefoxes suggestion. Otherwise do like minetestjosh did, two pages earlier: Build a platform that catches all well below the water level, then pile up from it to make the water fall.

Good luck, noob101

firefox

by firefox » Post

The Burning Lands have burned out

Ever since the Cursed Mountains appeared, this land was dead.
And now I am leaving too.

I moved my storage to Gaia Tower and also removed all my traces from Utgard.
Eventually i will start a new Utgard Project somewhere else (with a teleport potion), but I want to have at least 2 interested co-workers for this.
For now I have set my sight on a certain ninja project.

R.I.P Burning Lands and Mr.FluffyPaws =(-.-)=

(Mr.FluffyPaws was one of the first cats on the server. He died under the Cursed Mountains ...)
Last edited by firefox on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Merurino

by Merurino » Post

Thanks for the tips around my water issue. Considering the place, maybe worldedit would be the best solution indeed.

Sad to see you're giving up on burning lands.

Edit:
Firefox, I went to the glacier to check the damage you told us happened there. I could see that there's still a ton of water by the side of the ice but this water is not flowing down anymore. How has it stop flowing down? Is this maybe a bug and if someone gets really near it it starts to flow again?

If this behavior is not expected I believe we're going to see another flood as soon as this water goes back to flow.

Bonny

by Bonny » Post

Just finished cleaning another cornecopia water grief
When life gives you lemons, just bake some lemon cupcakes
Dream as if you"ll live forever, eat cupcakes as if you would die today

Merurino

by Merurino » Post

Bonny, that's was exactly what I asked about the "floating" water, apparently it flowed down, however, the side I saw the water is the side there the ninja road is, I didn't even know about this other side.

I think considering all the trouble everyone is having to try to fix this, maybe my evaporator idea (a few replys ago) is not such a bad idea anymore. I have no idea about how easy would be to program such device though.
Last edited by Merurino on Thu Nov 26, 2015 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

noob101
In-game: noob101

by noob101 » Post

Merurino wrote:I think considering all the trouble everyone is having to try to fix this, maybe my evaporator idea (a few replys ago) is not such a bad idea anymore. I have no idea about how easy would be to program such device.
Mer, I forgot to mention that I second this idea!
As a little help, unless you know already: On other servers there are sponges available, normal ones for water and metal sponges for lava even! I have no clue what mod that's a part of, and since that server is pretty much dead I guess I won't be able to find out any more either. But maybe the idea helps.

However, thank you all involved for your tireless work to keep it nice and dry in there! Cheers, noob101

auouymous

by auouymous » Post

Merurino wrote:I think considering all the trouble everyone is having to try to fix this, maybe my evaporator idea (a few replys ago) is not such a bad idea anymore. I have no idea about how easy would be to program such device though.
A minecraft sponge scans for water source blocks with in a few blocks around it, and it prevents flowing water blocks from forming in that radius. Xanadu has an 80 block view radius or diameter (can't remember which) around the player. A block that could remove all water the player sees would need to scan 500,000 to 4 million blocks and prevent flowing water in them. That would lag the server. Now imagine all players having access to that block, and placing them everywhere. Only allowing each player to place one at a time wouldn't help either because: just place, cause massive lag, break and repeat.

It would need to be a moderator/admin only block. But moderators and admins can fly, so an item or command that scans a short range around them and removes water blocks would be better. Just turn it on and chase the water flow... This would also make it easier to clean up flowing water in mid-air where blocks can't be placed.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

maybe get one of these
superdupercleaningrobot

auouymous

by auouymous » Post

twoelk wrote:maybe get one of these
superdupercleaningrobot
Just don't change it from suck to blow! ;)

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

If you find a huge flooded area let me know and I'll remove it using WorldEdit... I've changed ice/snow above sea level to melt into river water which is less messy, thanks Xanthin.

neozerosv

by neozerosv » Post

Cool Ten, but that would affect some waterfalls we have right now?

neozerosv

by neozerosv » Post

Texan wrote:
firefox wrote:
I think that's a great idea; I'll get on that as soon as possible.
Sorry folks, Xanthing helped me to stop a water grief in the same mountain, (cornacopia) and i run out of patience and a did protect the whole mountain (or so i think). I saw Red_Fox was building a road, i will add him later to the prots.

Good job guys!

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

neo: it only affects ice melting to water, placing water buckets will be same as before.

Xhole :P
GitHub: Xhole
IRC: X
In-game: Xhole

by Xhole :P » Post

Hey ten can i have this skin please http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/6990991/edit-cute/ thanks if you can

Texan

by Texan » Post

neozerosv wrote:Sorry folks, Xanthing helped me to stop a water grief in the same mountain, (cornacopia) and i run out of patience and a did protect the whole mountain (or so i think). I saw Red_Fox was building a road, i will add him later to the prots.
Don't be sorry, neozerosv. And thanks for protecting it; I was absent from the server for a little while, and was hoping that someone would do so. That alone most likely saved us a lot of trouble. :)

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Wow, lots of stuff happening while I was gone.
I'm not going to be able to visit the server for a few months, so I hope that my unfinished shop isn't too ugly for Cornucopia :o
(should have added noob to the protections and he could have at least made it presentable for me :\ )