[Server] Xanadu

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Xanadu Server

by firefox » Post

Fredrick01 wrote:That's really kewl, Red-chan. I love the aerial view. Very creative; 10/10.
I'm sensing a theme though. Alcohol and burning things. Are you planning to set Xanadu aflame?!? OOOOOO:
(I do not suggest.Abort mission! Abort!)
as long as the Alchemic Chaos Distill doesn't explode from Entropy Overload, the server will be fine. :P
and i will make sure that this won't happen =(^.^)=
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Post

botch wrote:Hi guys, I'm running into the issue of dying (a whole lot) when I go out exploring for crystals.
I'm selling crystals and crystal grass at bronze shop (right next to bronze TP), also, if you want, send me coords to your mailbox and I can hook you up with crystal boots. I'll probably start selling armor in the store soon at reasonable prices (maybe 2x mese cost to make which isn't too terrible). Me and killerz have a crystal farm and it's easy enough to get, maybe 20 mins in game of farming for a whole armor. Mese is the limiting factor since we haven't been mining much lately (I myself have been doing uber farming). I get more mese from DMs at the current depth of our mineshaft than I do from actually digging for it.

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Fredrick01 wrote:That's really kewl, Red-chan. I love the aerial view. Very creative; 10/10.
I'm sensing a theme though. Alcohol and burning things. Are you planning to set Xanadu aflame?!? OOOOOO:
(I do not suggest.Abort mission! Abort!)
that's what the water around the edges is for :p

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

botch wrote:Hi guys, I'm running into the issue of dying (a whole lot) when I go out exploring for crystals. I can get pretty far from spawn/new noob area and so on but mob attacks and going in what seems like circles is really getting old. I asked in the ingame chat for any direction to a far away area to possibly get some crystals but I was really pushed to go to the shops to trade for crystal dirt. I'll ask here if I might be able to get any help, if someone would please send me a private message with some coordinates, I would really appreciate it. No special boots equals a very slow moving botch. :)
Botch: I can give you coords of the crystal biome I got my first crystals from (its far out, most likely not prot'ed), if you contact me in-game. I went in circles for the longest time, too, so don't worry about it. :) :)
-- Texan :)

Fredrick01
IRC: Fredrick
In-game: Fredrick

by Fredrick01 » Post

Glorfindel wrote: that's what the water around the edges is for :p
And here I thought it was just excess wine!

firefox

by firefox » Post

the newest invention of the dye market - Glowing Mese Dye:

:P :P :P
Attachments
screenshot_20160428_140017.png
screenshot_20160428_140017.png (66.6 KiB) Viewed 750 times
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Post

In honor of the swifties addition, here's a Flash skin. :D
Attachments
skin_20160428183246197249.png
skin_20160428183246197249.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 750 times

Skrote
In-game: Skrote

by Skrote » Post

problems from the update? login times out... =(

firefox

by firefox » Post

Skrote wrote:problems from the update? login times out... =(
just tested - it works fine now
maybe there was lots of data to load for the update and the downtime was a little longer?
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Johnny Joy
GitHub: johnnyjoy
In-game: jjb

Open Letter to Tenplus1

by Johnny Joy » Post

An open letter to Tenplus1, and Sinji, but mostly Tenplus1.

I'm writing this to be honest with you Tenplus1, as I would hope you would be with me.
Nothing in this letter is meant to be offensive. I am just seeking to understand. I
would also like to present a point of view about you and Xanadu, that maybe you might
not have thought of. I am not asking you to take any action, or do anything, but I
hope you read on.

Thanks again for running the Xanadu server. I know I have said that many times in-game, but
it also needs to be said here as well. Not enough people say it, or recognize what it is
to run a well kept server like Xanadu for so long. It takes hard work, dedication, attention
to detail, and a strong desire to provide entertainment for others, for free. "Thanks" is the
only form of payment a person gets for running a server, and it hardly seems enough.

Of course, as the server is open to the public, there are a large number of trouble makers,
complainers, trolls, spammers, hackers, and other no good people. I think Xanadu has seen
them all. However Xanadu is immune to those kinds of attack. Your dedication has been returned
by those who do appreciate what your work. Your dedication has been return 10,000 fold by
a loyal following of users who do at least as much to keep things running as the admins.
This loyalty is an effort to repay what they see as a person offering something wonderful
to strangers, an act of kindness.

There is no greater way to win a person's loyalty and friendship the way you did. Sure, not
every person who logs in will recognize and appreciate your time and effort, but the ones
that are worth it will, and they do. I think that every positive and constructive player
makes up for 10,000 of the bad ones. Everyone enjoyed the additions from more flowers,
colored blocks, the lucky block game, etc. Every step was a step forward. Only people who
were around long enough witnessed that and could appreciate all of the changes.

We all worked as hard as we could to keep up the server as best we could. We broke up
fights, calmed people down, reported errors, reported problems, cleaned up messy builds,
helped new players, prevented bullying, created new areas for people to enjoy, created
public resources like rail ways & public gardens, kept the mood positive, and so much more.
I recall one night when each time a person teleported to spawn they would appear higher and
higher. I survived my fall, barely, and had to fight off 2 players that camped out at spawn
to collect items from people who would fall. I left a message on the forums, and tried to
alert Skrote to see if he had permission to build at spawn. He was not responding to chat,
so I hunted him down to get his attention. He built a platform to catch people at spawn
above spawn. Even so, some people missed the platform. I guarded spawn from the folks
looking to take people's things. We did this for most of the night. And, that is just
a single example. There are many more.

Players want to give back, and we do. We see the world as a collective effort. You supply
the paint, and we will paint. Shinji has had some hard times. He has had some explosive
arguments will a petulant 11 year old or some other kid. He has often threatened to
shut down the server because he was so unhappy with how people were using it. He even
shut down the server to show some kid that he could, much to the dismay of the other
19 players. That is what made me think that we needed to keep watch on things to insure
that the person hosting the server did not feel is was being wasted. We made the best
environment we could, and it showed.

Xanadu was a place a kid could play Minetest and feel safe. The admins are not all full
time, but there was always a responsible player on nearly 24 hours a day. As dedicated
free software user, I choose to introduce my kids to Minetest rather than Minecraft. At
first I have looked into the various servers, but only one stood out at the time. The
rules were basic, but to the point. The people were fun, and the setup was great. My
family was not the only family playing on Xanadu. Xanadu was also host to a large number
of home schooled kids from around the world. All were welcomed and accepted by the players,
who always had time to spare to help them with something.

We also helped each other. We would gather supplies for each other's projects and
never felt any serious competition or rivalry. We were all working on the same goal and
saw each other's needs as we saw our own. If I had supplies I could not use right away
I would always donate what I had to any of Ice, bonny, and Phi's amazing projects, or
whatever amazing things Skrote, Xanthin, Louie, or anyone else, was working on. And,
I was not alone in doing so.

This is all a reflection of how generous you and Shinji have been. Just with how free
software works, where you release code into the wild because you can, often amazing
things will happen. You can't control it, or make some spontaneous events happen, but
once or twice in a lifetime they will surprise you. Like with Xanadu and the amazing
users producing what they did with tools you created.

The world of Xanadu was created by a collective effort of tens of thousands of people
from all over the world. Much in the way Linux or Minetest was created. Many invested
a great deal of time and work, and took pride in what they did. You should take pride
in having such an important role. There were people who nothing living in the third
world who's only possessions are what they had in their characters chests as their play
things. Their most significant creations were what they made there in Xanadu. And, while
some cannot consistently have access to the internet or a computer, they will always
return to the place that takes them far from their problems, a familiar getaway.

Be proud Tenplus1. Be very proud. You have made a good many friend, loyal friends, who
think very highly of you. I do not think it is said often enough, and it should be. But,
it's known.

I know I've been away for a couple of months. I injured my right arm at the start of
the year, and it was not getting better. I had to stop using my computer. I planned on
checking in from time to time, but the Minetest repository I had gotten my client from
was not compatible with Xanadu. I asked my daughter to check in to see that none of our
stuff had been greifed, using her computer, but by that time she was getting password
incorrect errors. Someone, it seems, had taken over her account name(Violet).

I waited and looked forward to working with the supplies I that had taken more than 18
months to gather, to complete some interesting projects. I had taken Shinji's challenge
and accepted only few gifts from him or you. Often I would gladly accept them, but
not use them, and give almost all away to help others with their projects, or noobs
just starting out. Shinji wanted people to treat the server as a survival server and
earn what they had. I did, and so did others. Not many on this forum who played Xanadu
have actually played Xanadu that way. It's far faster and easier to get supplies
handed to you, but then it's not the same game. I spent endless hours of harvesting
clay from under water, countless hours killing mese monsters for their wing, collected
chests of red/green/cyan shrooms, created autocrafters, harvested tons of corn, mined for
ores, chopped down endless redwoods to make bags, created a food-4-noobs shop to get
more supplies, created a sky road nearly 1500 blocks long, that was about to become
a sky city. I must have had well over 200+ chests of supplies built up.

I'm not going to ask you about keeping the original Xanadu running. You and Shinji are
in full control. Right or wrong, it's your choice and you have been clear. You just don't
want to give up control of Xanadu for any reason. When I first asked, it seemed simple.
You might not have had the resources, but I did, and I thought I could help. You told
me that that some textures could not be copied, or that you didn't want to give out
the lua code, and even that there might be some corruption in the database. All of these
do not matter, and they never seemed truthful to me. We can easily make textures that
are similar, replace lua code, and fix databases. So, those are clearly not the real
reason.

There really are some weirdly troubling aspects of this whole thing. I am all
for the idea of moving on. But, this is not about moving on. You move on when your dog dies,
but not when someone just has your dog locked up down the street alive and well. I
would just like to know why. I would like to know why all our work must be kept from
us. So far there has been no reason given. In that vacuum it is hard to not imagine this
as some sort of sadistic move to show us how powerless we are compared to you. Like
opening a free-for-all art studio and gallery, only to lock the doors one day and keep
years of people's art from them.

All of this doesn't seem to be you, Ten. You, who runs are server out of the goodness of
your heart, contributes to open source software for use by anyone in the world, and
who genuinely seems like a really great person.

Without honest answers, we are left to speculate as to why you are keeping us from all
our hard work. Maybe you don't want to give up control. It could be that you have an
intense fear of a lack of control and if you can't control it, nobody can. Maybe you see
the minetest servers as if they were in competition, rather than in cooperation, and you
don't want the new Xanadu's popularity to slip. Or, maybe you enjoy all the great
builders who make the server great, and fear they might divide their time between
servers lessening the popularity of the new Xanadu again. Or, it could even be that you
just don't want other to benefit from your work. Only you know.

Again, none of that makes sense for a person who gives so much for free.

Ideally, one day you will be okay with either running the original Xanadu somewhere,
or allowing mystik and myself to host it working with you, or have someone else host
it. Ideally, I would like to get back to the project that I was working on with my
friends, great strangers, and my daughter, who is currently heart broken(not only
are her builds being kept from her, but someone has taken her login). I know you wont
change your mind, and Shinji doesn't seem like he changes. So, I expect nothng to come of
this, but maybe one day something else will change your mind. If I can help in any way,
no matter how small, I will do everything I can.

I'm still your friend Tenplus1, even after this. It's the event that is disappointing
and depressing, but not you. You are confusing at the moment.
But, that is not something I dwell on. My focus would be to fix the problem. That is
how one actually is able to truly move forward.

Take care, old friend. Keep being great.

-- jjb

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

Re: Open Letter to Tenplus1

by auouymous » Post

Johnny Joy wrote:I would like to get back to the project that I was working on with my
friends, great strangers, and my daughter, who is currently heart broken(not only
are her builds being kept from her, but someone has taken her login).
All good things must come to an end.

The same people are still there, get new stuff and create new memories. Teach your kids to get back on the horse after falling off and breaking all their bones.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

My sentiments exactly auouymous, Xanadu has been reborn and our original cast are building new memories. The old map files are gone as they were corrupt (hence the restart)...

Johnny Joy: As for your daughter's login name, it's just a name, it bears no reflection to the person within... Let her sign on with a new name and make better memories...

Johnny Joy

Re: Open Letter to Tenplus1

by Johnny Joy » Post

Thanks.

That is great advise. That is an important lesson, and fortunately they're well versed in it.
auouymous wrote:
Johnny Joy wrote:I would like to get back to the project that I was working on with my
are her builds being kept from her, but someone has taken her login).
All good things must come to an end.

The same people are still there, get new stuff and create new memories. Teach your kids to get back on the horse after falling off and breaking all their bones.

Johnny Joy

by Johnny Joy » Post

Actually I was more interested in your desire to prevent anyone from using the map. It was not about early life lessons about moving on. That is completely aside. You were clear that the only things preventing you from sharing the map with someone was that you could not share the lua code and textures, both can be dealt with. And, database corruption is something I can easily deal with. What I was interested was a reason beyond "because".

It comes down the fact that you are unwilling to share something that people would clearly enjoy, and wouldn't harm you in any way to share. That's all.
TenPlus1 wrote:My sentiments exactly auouymous, Xanadu has been reborn and our original cast are building new memories. The old map files are gone as they were corrupt (hence the restart)...

Johnny Joy: As for your daughter's login name, it's just a name, it bears no reflection to the person within... Let her sign on with a new name and make better memories...

IceAgeComing

by IceAgeComing » Post

Santa hats at 2nd may? :P Yeah, why not.
Merry Christmas!

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Johnny Joy wrote:Actually I was more interested in your desire to prevent anyone from using the map. It was not about early life lessons about moving on. That is completely aside. You were clear that the only things preventing you from sharing the map with someone was that you could not share the lua code and textures, both can be dealt with. And, database corruption is something I can easily deal with. What I was interested was a reason beyond "because".

It comes down the fact that you are unwilling to share something that people would clearly enjoy, and wouldn't harm you in any way to share. That's all.
TenPlus1 wrote:My sentiments exactly auouymous, Xanadu has been reborn and our original cast are building new memories. The old map files are gone as they were corrupt (hence the restart)...

Corrupt or not, I think it is a bad move to hold back the map. After all, those were others creations, not the server owners. If my server ever needs to go down, your rest assured the map will be free for anybody to explore.

Overprotective for what? what could be the secret hidden in the old map. The choice it obviously theirs.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

all of which is irrelevant as there is no backup of the old map to share anyway.

Johnny Joy

by Johnny Joy » Post

You are the first to say this. How do you know?
Glorfindel wrote:all of which is irrelevant as there is no backup of the old map to share anyway.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Educated guess.
The server's entire drive was wiped, absolutely no reason to backup an old map that is corrupt, especially as he couldn't share because of textures etc.

Also, just about every single one of the top builders (i.e. bonny ice phi iska etc) were looking forward to a new start. So no, TenPlus1 didn't wipe the map for any underhanded kniving vicious goals of his own.

Fredrick01

by Fredrick01 » Post

Glorfindel wrote:Educated guess.
The server's entire drive was wiped, absolutely no reason to backup an old map that is corrupt, especially as he couldn't share because of textures etc.

Also, just about every single one of the top builders (i.e. bonny ice phi iska etc) were looking forward to a new start. So no, TenPlus1 didn't wipe the map for any underhanded kniving vicious goals of his own.
Well, Phi somehow had access to the old map, whether that be a personal backup that he saved somehow, or Ten/Shinji lending it to him, I don't know; but there was one time when he was telling bonny, Ice and I about how he took a stroll through the old map.

And I don't believe that Ten would necessarily do something vicious or underhanded, I don't think that's exactly what jjb means? He just feels like the excuses that Ten has given him weren't completely truthful and that's bothering him (if I understand what he said correctly)

Fredrick01

by Fredrick01 » Post

Also, let's make sure this doesn't become a full-blown argument. We don't need that in this forum. If you *really* want to make a big deal of this, then go make a separate forum to argue it out, but it doesn't need to happen here. I think we can all agree on that. The point of jjb bringing this up isn't to make a big deal of it, it's just him letting the admins know what he's thinking, and giving the players of Xanadu a chance to voice their opinions too and know what's going on. So let's try to keep it to *just* that.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Fredrick01 wrote:Well, Phi somehow had access to the old map, whether that be a personal backup that he saved somehow, or Ten/Shinji lending it to him, I don't know; but there was one time when he was telling bonny, Ice and I about how he took a stroll through the old map.

And I don't believe that Ten would necessarily do something vicious or underhanded, I don't think that's exactly what jjb means? He just feels like the excuses that Ten has given him weren't completely truthful and that's bothering him (if I understand what he said correctly)
I'd say personal backup, it's very easy to do, I have most of noobville saved as well as spawn areas.

Sorry if I can't across a little strong there, but I personally find it rather silly to carry on about it. ten said no, that's enough for me. Reasons are nice but don't change the answer.

Killerz
In-game: Killerz

by Killerz » Post

screenshot_20160503_132015.png
screenshot_20160503_132015.png (1003.71 KiB) Viewed 750 times
To break the tense mood, here is a screenshot of a laser- hill found
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

what's a laser hill?

Johnny Joy

by Johnny Joy » Post

I understand your point of view. I really do. These are two different topics.

1. Why not release the server?

and

2. Why indicate that it is possible, except that there are some obstacles, when that is not the reason.

On topic 1. I have all but given up. One day things might change. I cannot imagine it could do any harm and it would make people happy, so there is zero valid reasons for not opening it up. It reminds of when I lived in Orange Country California and went to a nice little pool bar for lunch with coworkers. One rather stuff lady from work notices that some people in the pool bar had tattoos. Imagine that. She said "Tattoos should be illegal." with enough disgust that you would think that tattoo meant murder. I said "I'm not interested in getting a tattoo, but if it makes somebody else happy, and doesn't harm others, then it's a good thing." My simple view of the world is that if I can make somebody happy and it costs be nothing, then why not. Even more so when I only have to not do something, like outlawing tattoos. So, clearly TanPlus1 can make many of his friends happy, and it costs him nothing. I've heard his tone and I do not expect him to change his mind. So, I'm not going to actually pursue this, but if he changes him mind he will make many people happy.

On topic 2. I am disappointed by being mislead by being told that the only obstacles to overcome where some lua code and some textures, and once I said that was not much of a problem I was told there was also some database corruption. After I indicated that I have 30 years experience recovering data from destroyed databases. So, what I would really like it an honest answer, even if it is simply "I don't wanna, and I am not going to give a reason." Then I would have to respect that since TenPlus1 has earned that.

It goes without saying that TenPlus1 is the heart not only of Xanadu, but in many ways Minetest. A car might have a great engine, drive train, and wheels, but without a great body, console, steering wheel, and seats, it's nothing. Minetest provides the engines, but TenPlus1 provides everything else, and without his work Minetest would not be as worth while, and the adoption would be far lower. He is not the only one doing this, sure, but in my opinion he does it a little better.
Glorfindel wrote:
Fredrick01 wrote:Well, Phi somehow had access to the old map, whether that be a personal backup that he saved somehow, or Ten/Shinji lending it to him, I don't know; but there was one time when he was telling bonny, Ice and I about how he took a stroll through the old map.

I'd say personal backup, it's very easy to do, I have most of noobville saved as well as spawn areas.

Sorry if I can't across a little strong there, but I personally find it rather silly to carry on about it. ten said no, that's enough for me. Reasons are nice but don't change the answer.