[Server] Xanadu

mystik
GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

Re: Xanadu Server

by mystik » Post

afflatus wrote: A restart script is not the solution, it's a temporary workaround so we can all continue playing. Polling servers.minetest.net/list seems like taking a sledgehammer to a small moving target, I prefer amadin's idea of pinging the port directly, but it's a question of what works ultimately.

AFA restarts are concerned I run my own server via systemctl, so I would use systemctl restart, which I trust does the right thing. If minetest-server is running from a script you don't have much choice but to kill it. I don't know what the possibilities are of corrupting the db this way. That would be good to know.
I may investigate this, but a patch to call sd_notify() in the main loop is arguably the right(tm) way to catch hangs of this nature, and with a sensible WatchdogSec= parameter, it can allow systemd to properly sense a hang, and trigger a restart. But to re-iterate your point -- this is a workaround, not a fix.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

mystik wrote:this is a workaround, not a fix.
Not sure where the idea of it being a fix came from, the server would still stall and be down for up to 30 minutes when it does. This just increases the server's currently poor uptime.

~Xhole
IRC: x
In-game: Xhole

by ~Xhole » Post

I just wanted to chat with my frands :(: ........lol will try later
~X~

amadin

by amadin » Post

... You may write script wich will restart server every 3 hours (with "killall -9 minetestserver" or "killall -s KILL minetestserver") if you don't want use Auouymous's script.
Last edited by amadin on Fri Jun 03, 2016 13:34, edited 3 times in total.

Phiwari123
In-game: Phiwari123

by Phiwari123 » Post

The last few days the server crashed whenever i joined, so I guess i will take a break from Minetest until the problem is solved.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

amadin wrote:Tenplus1 why you not added script from Auouymous? You may write script wich will restart server every 3 hours (with "killall -9 minetestserver" or "killall -s KILL minetestserver") if you don't want use Auouymous's script.
That is a VERY BAD idea. It would cause rollbacks and increase chances of data corruption.

Milan*
GitHub: tchncs
IRC: Passant
In-game: Milan Passant

by Milan* » Post

just for interest: why no recording for youtube?

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Milan* wrote:just for interest: why no recording for youtube?
I have never heard a reason for this rule, but I don't record so I don't care one way or the other

amadin

by amadin » Post

auouymous wrote:
amadin wrote:Tenplus1 why you not added script from Auouymous? You may write script wich will restart server every 3 hours (with "killall -9 minetestserver" or "killall -s KILL minetestserver") if you don't want use Auouymous's script.
That is a VERY BAD idea. It would cause rollbacks and increase chances of data corruption.
It was just simply example, script may run "killall -s TERM minetestserver" then after 60 seconds checking process tree for "minetestserver" and if "minetestserver" still running then run "killall -s KILL minetestserver". TERM signal is analog ctrl+c and it safely shutdown server. After minetestserver was killed script must wait 120 seconds and run minetestserver again. I can publish this script here if needed.

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

The "No YouTube Recording Without Permission" I believe, is there for other players' privacy. I, for one, do not want people simultaneously recording my gaming environment and chat, especially without my knowing. It would pretty much be someone recording me and my conversations with my friends. Of course, we do not share personal information in-game, but to have our chat and builds posted on the internet for whoever to see... I don't think it is right. This rule also could help the server avoid a whole lot of disputes between players who enjoy the private environment, versus the players who record it.
-- Texan :)

amadin

by amadin » Post

1. I propose to make crafting "Smartshop" more expensive, because: in real life, this requires a lot of money and a lot of time, so that players will not sell resources for next to nothing. Also propose replace "locked chest" by "barter shop" in "Smartshop" recipe.
2. I propose add sound for using /spawn and /home wich will hear for nearest players. Will be good if you add visual effect for this commands (change player screen color for 1 second or some effects near player model).
Last edited by amadin on Fri Jun 03, 2016 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Why should it cost more to be able to sell stuff?

If you don't like being able to get stuff cheaply I believe you are in the minority.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Glorfindel wrote:Why should it cost more to be able to sell stuff?

If you don't like being able to get stuff cheaply I believe you are in the minority.
Because game is more interesting if player get most resources and things by himself.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

amadin wrote:

Because game is more interesting if player get most resources and things by himself.
I see. Well, feel free to not use the shops :) but I prefer to be able to buy a stack or two for a build rather than spending hours collecting materials myself.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Glorfindel wrote:
amadin wrote:

I see. Well, feel free to not use the shops :) but I prefer to be able to buy a stack or two for a build rather than spending hours collecting materials myself.
Well, feel free to play on servers with creative mode :)

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

amadin wrote: Well, feel free to play on servers with creative mode :)
That's the point. I am free to play on a creative server. But why should I be limited in being able to buy stuff cheaply because you think it should be expensive??

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

amadin wrote:

the prices in shops are made by the players. it's their decision to sell stuff for low or high prices. based on my observations most players are greedy and make high prices. (like 1potato for 1 diamond. potatoes are the most common plant in every jungle, diamonds are the second most rare ore.)
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The network stall patch has been applied to today's build of minetest, so tonight we update server and <fingers crossed> no more problems :)

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

Yay!!!

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Okie, network patch didnt do much it seems, still stalling so we ran in debug mode and here's the txt file if it helps anyone fix this:

update: ran debug build of minetest using verbose and gdb, attached is the output:
Attachments
debug_gdb_2nd_run.zip
(298.14 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 19:01, edited 2 times in total.

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Post

I saw 0-afflatus's comment on the github page about the "Bermuda triangle effect." I am 100% sure that this is at least happening since the update with the area I discussed before, which I PM'd you the coords to, TenPlus1. There's definitely something going on over there and probably on other areas of the map (Phi said that it crashed when they logged in so that's another trouble area).

For whatever it's worth I searched that debug file for clues (looking at player 'takes' 'punches' and 'crafts') but didn't see anything that stood out. Just had a feeling it might come up with something.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed Dec 18, 2019 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

We tried that amadin, went back as far as possible with 0.4.13 dev builds so we still had some of the newer features, but the stall glitch still happened.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed Dec 18, 2019 19:59, edited 2 times in total.

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Post

amadin wrote:I know about "went back as far as possible with 0.4.13 dev" that is why i wrote my think about bug in some client 0.4.14 (windows, android, mac os or freeminer builds) but not in server. Maybe some client 0.4.14 create stall glitch on server.
UPDATED later: Is any way to disable connections from client 0.4.14 for some time?
This has to be it if Ten reverted the server. Man, I'm not a big coder (know a bit of Lua and have written scripts for my nephew and other test stuff, but am not skilled enough yet to make mods or anything; trying to make my nephew a frog mod copying the rabbit code because he doesn't understand why lily pads don't have frogs lol), but this seems like a nightmare to figure out... something that is client side that affects older server side code...

I reverted to 13 for now, because, eh, seems more stable.

A pic of skyfarm (bronze path, come visit) since we don't need to be all sad about this bug: