[Server] Xanadu

noob101
In-game: noob101

Re: Xanadu Server

by noob101 » Post

Thank you for your responses, and for the welcome!
In turn I'd like to answer some open points, or add stuff I learned in the meantime...

The slot number is not the issue of the menu. The clickathon you have to finish to sort stuff into bags and out, craft, then back in etc. is what annoys me. Do you mean longer opening time, or initial load? Especially the searchable crafting guide wins hands down over many disadvantages. And unused buttons can be edited out, seen that elsewhere!

I got the boots in the meantime, however I still think it's a basic need (Especially if there are monsters - as a newbie you can at least outrun them!). And boats - just forget them. Laggy like crazy, and buggy at that!

The NO BONES policy Ten+1 told me is normal for survival. Oh well, I still don't like it :-)

Thanks for the hints and tips, also for every help I received in-game. You are a good bunch o'people, like most I meet in this game.

Neon, on another server the admins decide, they check for the last login of a player. If the building is very basic, half a year is enough, for mid-quality builds a year is considered right. Top builds never expire of course.

Firefox, thanks for the directions, but I'm much more of a green lands guy - just pay me a visit when I'm in again, you'll see. I'll see red if I see red all day xD Also like I said, I already found a quite beautiful spot...

You know, it's all just my two cents. And only these few things I'm so picky about...

OK, have fun, meet you in-game. noob101

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I routinely walk along the four paths looking for builds that a player has abandoned or they haven't been on server for a very long time, then we host a wrecking crew where I remove protection and all other players salvage what they can from it :)

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Ah, nice. Thanks, TenPlus1, that's a good thing!

Edit: When I dropped by this noon there was some weird fun going on: It was "The Toilet Band" performing on stage, and a few groupies cheering at them too. I played the roll of the paparazzi hidden in the bushes and took a few snaps. Find them attached.

CU noob101
screenshot_20151102_123748.png
screenshot_20151102_123748.png (408.12 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
screenshot_20151102_124139.png
screenshot_20151102_124139.png (484.63 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ohhh, I've heard those guys play, so much better than Justin Beiber...

Texan
In-game: Texan

by Texan » Post

Well, if you think the "Toilet Band" is better than Justin Beiber, you must not think very highly of the latter. :) I have yet to see them perform (the T. Band that is), and am slightly hesitant.

Concerning noob101's posts:

"The server crashed. A few times. Not fun."
I agree; not fun. But I know that the administrators are doing everything they can do to fix it at the moment.

"The inventory is imho not the best. I like the big Unified Inventory I know from other places FAR more."
I respect his opinion, but I absolutely prefer the inventory we have already. I have not seen this inv. on any other server I have visited, making it unique. I think we should keep the current one.

"NO FASTMOVE, second biggest issue. OK, the boots, but still - it's a basic imho. Especially crossing water is a pain!"
The new players are probably better off without Fast-Move, because it presses them to get supplies, and the ones who are too lazy to work for them won't stick around (which logically would be better than otherwise). And water: just as firefox said, boats are your answer.

"Last and worst: Seriously, ONE MINUTE to retrieve your bones? To pickup new equipment (if you have) or call out for help (if no equipment), get to the place again, kill that dratted monster and finally pick up your stuff? SERIOUSLY? Gotta be kidding, right? Noooo? "
Well, I gotta say: Yea, that is a small amount of time under any circumstances. However, this just makes it more challenging to survive (which is the whole point of playing Survival).

Anyway, noob101: I am glad you were happy with everything else, and I hope you outgrow your name. :)
-- Texan :)

noob101

by noob101 » Post

Thanks for your reply, Texan. Again I'd like to add:

I heard in the meantime that the crashes come from the engine, and will say no more.

I'm getting used to the inv., but it certainly needs more clicks.

Please just forget the boats, ok? I've visited a number of servers, and the range was from a little laggy to glitchy-crashy. No better, sorry.

A compromise would be e.g. to introduce the bones, but have them unprotected right away. On the other hand that would encourage the lazy players... I am at a loss here.
However, letting go all the valuable stuff to nirvana is what I hate. Such a waste!

Now for my name... look at my signup date here, I play daily... and visit me in-game to get an impression...

OK, have fun, noob101

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

News from Utgard:

made some progress with protecting the Gateway and gave the Underworld Library a new look:

also new stuff in Heaven Island:

the "what is that?!"
build by myster, mysterious as always.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

myster
In-game: myster

by myster » Post

Okay, it is about time I posted on heaven. Heaven is a collaboratory project that started out as just one of my public builds, but other players had ideas and inspired me to open up heaven to the best of the best builders on Xanadu. So far we have 13 islands by 8 builders and there is still room for more.

Here is an overview of heaven.
The image Red_Fox posted is of a new expansion of heaven that will allow more players to build islands and all be connected to the main island. To get to it there is a little staircase that leads from the main island down to it.
From here,
Down to here.
Down there you will find Texan's replica models of heaven. It is still under construction, though almost done.
The expansion is a "bay" for lack of a better word, that hangs from the main island via ropes and beams and has gates that will eventually lead to other islands.
Come check out this awesome place using the light-blue teleporter at spawn. It is truly an awesome and heavenly place.
If you think yourself a good enough builder and want to build some islands in heaven, please contact me via a PM here or ingame.
In the name of Justice! -- Mr. mystery :)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Wow, looks amazing in full.

firefox

by firefox » Post

the new Savanna biome:

the cow that is so rich that it can buy it's own island:

i heard a rumor that some of the outer parts of the Magma Mine are still intact deep down under the Cursed Mountains.
so went back down to my old working place and found this:
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Glorfindel
GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

firefox wrote:I heard a rumor that some of the outer parts of the Magma Mine are still intact deep down under the Cursed Mountains.
wow, so what is the story behind the Cursed Mountains?

firefox

by firefox » Post

Glorfindel wrote:wow, so what is the story behind the Cursed Mountains?
one day a mountain fell from the sky to the Burning Lands.
it smashed the Magma Road and the Castle Road along with the Magma Mine, the Floating Gardens, the King's Castle, lot's of player homes and the rest of the landscape.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

wow...
*hides all stuff deep underground*

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

This is a project I've been working on with noob101's help and partly his design.
Cords and directions will be forthcoming when I finish it.
Spoiler

Kelena
In-game: Kelena

by Kelena » Post

firefox wrote: i heard a rumor that some of the outer parts of the Magma Mine are still intact deep down under the Cursed Mountains.
Isn't it weird the natural lighting of that deep layer? It looks amazing tho.
Love and nodes, Kel~ | | Playing only at Xanadu.

firefox

by firefox » Post

Merry Burning Christmas!!! XD

the Burning Lands now have a Burning Christmas Tree.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

myster
In-game: myster

by myster » Post

And a Merry Heavenly Christmas to all You Awesome Members of Xanadu. :)
And Merry Christmas to you Red_Fox. :)
In the name of Justice! -- Mr. mystery :)

firefox

by firefox » Post

the Ninja Road in Cornercopia
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Merurino
In-game: Mer

by Merurino » Post

Hello guys, first of all AMAZING server, I'm enjoying playing on it quite a lot!

I've received help from some players and I'm enjoying to play on it in general, especially Noob101, thanks a lot mate.

I am a noob, I used to play with 2 friends Minecraft in the past (4 years ago) but in our own server, so I'm enjoying quite a lot the experience of finding amazing buildings in the middle of nowhere and having places where I can exchange my stuff (the barter chests).

I have questions regarding 4 subjects:
- When I created my user I made a simple name and a simple password, because I was just checking the server, however, now I would like to increase the security of my user (and maybe change it to Merurino too), is it possible or can I create a new character and exchange the stuff myself? Am I allowed to have more than one character on the server?

- Movement is quite difficult (takes a long time to get to places, mainly to explore), I've read about a special boot that makes me move faster, how fast is it? What is the recipe? Can I buy it somewhere with regular items, as I haven't found diamonds yet (just one from a mob I've killed).

- I wandered around quiet a lot, even found an massive castle after I took a half and hour boat trip, happily I've found 3 cows on my way to the castle and was able to acquire some leather, however, is extremely difficult to find animals that give me leather, does anyone have coordinates where there are more cows respawning so I can gather some more to make more bags?

- Teleporting is really cool and I'm loving to be able to set my home and teleport there or to spawn easily. My dream is to gather materials to make a teleport pad and put in my house (as soon as I learn how to protect it). Is a teleport pad configurable? For example, can I change its destination as much as I want, or after I put it there it can only teleport me to the first destination I input there?

Thanks a lot and you're all amazing people.

firefox

by firefox » Post

welcome :)

changing names and passwords:
- i think there is a way to change passwords, ask TenPlus1 about it
- as far as i know, you cannot change your name, but you can have up to 3 accounts
- you can transfer items to other players (in this case yourself) with a shared chest

about movement:
- normal walking speed is slow (like real walking) so that you don't fall over cliffs
- there is no sprinting method in minetest and the server does not have any mods installed that would add one
- to cross water, a boat is the best option
- crystal boots double you walking speed and jumping height, they are crafted from crystal ingots which are made of mese and crystal spikes; you don't need diamonds for that, but it is still an advanced item as you need more resources than usual to craft it
- then there are also winged boots (needs monster wing, ultra rare item) and bunny slippers (cannot be crafted by players and cannot be found either)

regarding leather:
- cows are the only mobs that give leather
- they spawn on green grass (the really green one, not dark green or light green)
- spawn2 has lots of green fields and is usually full of sheep and cows, but any larger area of green fields is also good
- mobs encounter rate and maximum number is scaled to the area size, so large areas have higher chances of spawning cows than smaller ones; in theory it is possible for cows to appear on the public tree farm at green path, but i've never seen it happen

about teleporting:
- you can set 1 home position and teleport there for free, use /sethome and /home or the buttons in the inventory menu ("spawn") to set your home position and teleport there
- once set, the position will be saved until you set a new one
- the spawn area has free teleporters and each of the 4 main paths has a Stargate (also teleporters)
- those teleport pads are not craftable and cannot be obtained by normal players, but if you build someting good and it's too far away from any existing teleporter you can request a new teleporter to be installed
- for 8 diamonds you can craft a teleport potion, but they can only be used once; set the co-ordinates and a gate will open for 10 seconds, then it disappears

you can use teleport potion to find new areas (to discover new plants that were added at a later time and are not to be found near the known areas) or to go to a certain depth underground.
besides that, you should save your diamonds for tools, armor and decorative diamond blocks and use the public teleporters to get around.
for faster travelling on roads, some road owners have build railways that you can ride with a cart.

and some more tipps and tricks about movement:
- when holding the sneak key (in default settings it's shift) you speed is decreased, but you cannot fall over edges of blocks
- this allows you to sneak along the edge of a cliff without falling
- the sneak functon can also be used to climb; you can jump while holding the sneak key and if you get near any edge of another block, you will now sneak on the edge of the new block
- if you place blocks above each other with air in between, you can jump and use the sneak key to "climb" upwards
- this also walks downwards: just fall down along the edges of blocks and use the sneak key to sneak on the nearest block and stop falling; if you can pull of this trick, you will always get a safe landing no matter how deep you fall (it takes practice to learn this, so be careful; landing on cushion blocks like "mushroom pores" is always the safest way)
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Merurino

by Merurino » Post

Thanks a LOT firefox, very helpful post, you've explained thoroughly my questions, thanks a lot.

Just 3 more:
- Where can I get crystals and mese? Mobs in dungeons?
- What is spawn2?
- The teleporters (stargates) don't seem to work for me, there's one right in the teleport destination at blue path, I went through it and wasn't teleported anywhere, besides that, I was wandering by boat and found an island with a village and a lot of stuff all from the same player (don't remember the name). There was a stargate there with a sign saying the destination coordinates but it didn't work also. When I get home I can get the coordinates from this stargate by checking my screenshot.

Thanks a lot.

Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Post

in the game press Esc and click change password ;)

firefox

by firefox » Post

crystal spikes:
- grow like flowers in crystal biomes (blue grass and blue trees)
- they glow in the dark
- spiders spawn in crystal biomes, the have a low chance to drop crystals too
- spiders are dangerous, but they won't attack you during day, so you are safe as long as the sun is up

mese:
- is a yellow ore found below a certain depth (don't know the exact depth but it is above diamonds)
- glows in the dark (very faint, but it glows)
- can also be dropped by monsters
- can be split into shards and 9 shards can be forged into a full crystal (some monsters drop shards)

about spawn2:
- it is the most exclusive area on the server
- there are special building rules
- it is not allowed to show spawn2 on the forum or advertise it on the server
- it is not allowed to reveal the location of spawn2
- you can get there by using 1 of the Stargates

about Stargates:
- they are just very decorative teleporters
- inside each Stargate is a teleport pad like those at spawn, you have to step on it
- teleports may not work if you trigger them while using the sneak key, if you do, you will be teleported above the Stargate

since you didn't ask anything about building areas, i guess you already found a home or didn't bother with that yet.
in the latter case, here are some hints:
- the Shroom Road at the red path (i always want to write shrrrroooom road, but there are no racing cars on this road ...)
- a new ice road has been build at the blue path
- the end of the roads at green path (better not, this area is half destroyed)
- the Noob Area (new infrastructure and well-organized)
- buy a house in Capital CIty
- buy a house in Altamer City
- Midville
- Magic-Ville
- the Burning Lands (if you like fire as much as i do, building rules apply here)
- Cornercopia (new area, mostly unexplored)
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

Merurino

by Merurino » Post

Thanks Glorfindel for the password tip.

Thanks a lot again Firefox for all the amazing tips, about the housing, I found a hole in noob area (far from the mining area) and jumped there went like 40 blocks underground and then I dig a hole there and put 3 locked chests, but the area is unprotected. I intend to acquire some protection blocks to build a proper house, since my actual place is nothing but a hideout.

The rules to build on spawn2 and Burning lands are stated in some signs in each place?

If I want to build something over the surface on noob area can I get any place not protected (maybe a bit away from the main roads and shops)? If I build initially a "shack" not even with proper ceiling is it still allowed, as I'm short on resources right now?

Is there a teleport to Cornercopia?

Thanks again for all the tips, you're an amazing guy, maybe we should put up a wiki for noobs like me.
There's also a shop on Yellow path that has many tips on signs, I would like to thank the owner there, he helped me quite a lot!

Sorry for asking so many probably "stupid" questions. I just don't want to break any rules on this amazing server.

firefox

by firefox » Post

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people (because they don't ask questions).

the building rules are written on signs at the entrance to the respective places.

when you have a protector node, you can claim any place on the map, underground, above ground or even in the sky.

a missing roof is no problem. no one expects you to immediately finish everything you build, that's impossible.

all teleporters to named areas are at spawn, the stargates don't have names, but the Stone Stargate leads to Louieville.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨