GitHub: Kilarin

Re: [Server] Xanadu

by Kilarin » Post

Huzzah!

Adam0207
In-game: Adam0207

by Adam0207 » Post

Unbelievable. Amazing. Almost miracles happen! Let's roll out the barrels and celebrate! ... after March 20
cdb_cb3b09d4f059

Adam0207

by Adam0207 » Post

...to much sweetness... causes illness... We will waiting patiently ... What does week mean, compare to all this months where werent Xanadu! :)))
cdb_cb3b09d4f059

MineBrother
IRC: TestBoy
In-game: MineBrother

by MineBrother » Post

The Real Xanadu Is Coming Back?! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230219-124142_Cookie Run Kingdom.jpg
Screenshot_20230219-124142_Cookie Run Kingdom.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

MrBee
GitHub: Winxerino
IRC: MrBee
In-game: MrBee

by MrBee » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 06:39
*cough* we are hoping to bring server back up on 20th.
Be careful, after 6 months of waiting it looks like if server doesn't come back, xanadu players will tear you apart lol

Bronster
In-game: Bron

by Bronster » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Ten,
I hope all is well with you.
I haven't been following all this, but I used to play this server a lot. I had at least a few chats with you on there, and you helped me once by modifying an update to the server to make my build functional again. I stopped playin on the server (and in general) for quite a while and then the last time I did, I found my "home" base was almost completely destroyed by a map change. The destruction included my teleports that took me to my main builds and my mines. Whether or not the other builds were affected, IDK, because I couldn't get there to see. I didn't realize that it was a server wide event. Hope you get is all sorted out.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
I really hope for you all that this will come true !

Even he didn't mention the month or year ..., but in 6 days we know more.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Faith
GitHub: Violetdemon
IRC: Cherry
In-game: Violetdemon

by Faith » Post

Hi when is the server gonna open and whats the ip to it because i dont think i can remeber thank you

-cherry

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
well there goes all my free time lol :)

shiro_rin
In-game: Shiro

by shiro_rin » Post

if xanadu doesnt come back soon we can probably wait..
world's favorite gremlin :D

MineBrother

by MineBrother » Post

I Got A Joke For You Since Xanadu Is Very Inactive: Breaking News: I Got Stuck In 12-30 Of Cookie Run: Kingdom Because Of The Legendary Reddish Green Dragon Boss! Got Sorbet Shark Cookie, Level Them Up To 64 To Give Them More Damage But The Time Keeps Running Out! I Hope They Get Kicked In The Bazoo Very Hard!!! Tried Using Purple Yam Cookie, But He's Useless!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230326-091110_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230326-091110_Gallery.jpg (1009.37 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Screenshot_20230325-232341_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230325-232341_Gallery.jpg (648.85 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

We're Back Baby!

by TenPlus1 » Post

Xanadu is up and active!

Thank you Shinji for all your hard work getting things up and running again. Remember peeps to do a fresh search for Xanadu on server list as old favourites may not work.

Adam0207

by Adam0207 » Post

Thanks Admins server was "Born Again". So many sad days with only singleplayer option were gone! Happines fills our lives.
cdb_cb3b09d4f059

sirrobzeroone

Re: We're Back Baby!

by sirrobzeroone » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 18:57
Xanadu is up and active!

Thank you Shinji for all your hard work getting things up and running again. Remember peeps to do a fresh search for Xanadu on server list as old favourites may not work.
Thanks Both, very much appreciated all the work you do to keep the server up and running and there goes my spare time today.

Jon987
In-game: Jon987

Re: We're Back Baby!

by Jon987 » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 18:57
Xanadu is up and active!

IT'S BACK! :D Thank you both for all the work you put into this server!!! Can't wait to explore Xanadu again!

binshaden
In-game: binshaden

by binshaden » Post

I was wondering if we'd ever see this again.

Cool City looks great

MineBrother

by MineBrother » Post

Good Karma Starts If I Do Good Things And The Real Xanadu Is Finally Back At Long Last!!!

Festus1965

[Server] 5.4.1 Xanadu

by Festus1965 » Post

Congratulations
Was a hard rebirth.
I was on yesterday short on (as AsiaThailand) to see the Spawn I know only from files.
Hope all your former player will be back and active soon.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

It's BACK! Thank you TenPlus1 and huge thanks to Shinji for the hard work to get it back and hosting!

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

On a side note, the Xanadu map is now 120gb and rising and backups are getting a little more difficult to perform, so enabling local map save in Minetest to save your builds would be handy for your own personal backups.

We will however still annoy the devs for an easier way to backup and shrink map files in the meantime :)

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

So, just as a side note, what are the best approaches to shrinking a map?
I mean, obviously, the Ideal is to remove all map blocks that have no player modifications.

You can do that by looking for map blocks that don't have any nodes that can not be created during map gen. But this could misidentify map blocks where the user built something using natural nodes. And becomes less effective if the mapgen being used can create dungeons and villages, etc.

A very slow process would be to regenerate (in memory) each map block using the same seed and keep only map block that show differences. But we all know how the mapgen code changes over time, and I strongly suspect that this would misidentify as altered map blocks that had merely been generated with older versions of the mapgen.

In Xanadu, a rather extreme but possible approach would be to eliminate any map block that does not contain a protected node. You might lose constructions and modifications, but if no one protected them, then no one considered them worth saving anyway.

Once concern with both approach #1 and #2 would be edges. It all depends on how much the mapgen code has altered over time. If I've got a fancy castle built on a mountain side, and the mapgen has altered to put a lake where that mountain used to be, then my castle could end up on a chunk of floating rock over a lake. If the mapgen has just changed how the biomes are distributed, the apple forest around my castle might now be bamboo. And if the mapgen is close to what it was when I built my castle, I might not notice any difference at all.

It LOOKS like map blocks have a timestamp? Is that the last time the map block was loaded, or the last time it was altered? It seems like a strategy of deleting any map block that is not protected and has not been loaded within, say, a year, would be pretty effective?

Just curious. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

I know at work we do a lot of delta backups as the DB's are just to big to backup fully every night which we need for operational reasons.

8.1 seconds of research and I'm not sure sqlite supports or has an API for delta backups. Maybe necessary to push on the sqlite project rather than the MT engine project for a change....although once changed MT would then need to update db modules I would guess - likewise this is all way outside my knowledge.

Lots of info here that goes "whoosh" over my head:
https://sqlite.org/forum/info/217f3b9e647d97c0

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

It has not been established to my knowledge what database backend is used on Xanadu, e.g. postgres has many files)

+1 to sirrobzeroone's idea of delta/incremental backups if at all possible.

I would try using two copies of the database file(s) and running bsdiff on them. This is a fair bit easier for a singular file but possible to do recursively - or just put the whole thing uncompressed in a .tar - it's important NOT to compress things you want to compare the differences between.

Once you have two versions of this singular .sqlite or .tar, I would run the binary file difference tool bsdiff on them to encode the differences. That should create a file that encodes the differences from old version to new (be sure not to do the differences the wrong way around).

With such a system, you should keep a copy of the latest full backup and a copy of the latest delta. When it comes time to make a new backup, apply the delta to the latest full backup, delete the older backup and take a new backup. Then delta that new full backup and delete the full copy of it until you have to restore it later for the next backup.

That is how I would homebrew a solution to do this out of regular *nix tools. But there might be some easier way to do it with a 3rd-party tool that handles it for sqlite, for instance.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 06:24
On a side note, the Xanadu map is now 120gb and rising and backups are getting a little more difficult to perform, so enabling local map save in Minetest to save your builds would be handy for your own personal backups.

We will however still annoy the devs for an easier way to backup and shrink map files in the meantime :)
hmm, to save own area with automatic map saving in client is important anyway - if you wanna keep your area and maybe can migrate then easier to another still running (or not banned) server, depend on target server mods - but still easier than to rebuild all, if you are not meant for this

to perform a backup is from my side not the problem, I start the command (in my case export) and need enough place on that backup target disc, the time it is running - if not a thread
= so a build in 1st backup disc (1 or 2 TB) shoud be there to take the running backup file, and maybe keep the last 5,
= another external not permanent bind disc should take then the copy to keep it save

wasn't there an comparison about size of database files ?
* sqlite3 has some shrinking option, offline and vacuum - maybe take some time off server, but take that try
* postgresql offer a online backup easy, but even I try to do it during no active gamer online,
= easier to start a backup during running server
= beside gain speed for mt itself

the future server will be the admin, able to import easy and fast a players 'belongings' into his/her server, using the fail of servers for own advantage.
Holding 3 versions : plain mtg, another with pipeworks, technic and another with techage might bring a lot of player with like have a second home, backup home for the future.
a mt server is like a hosting service : if your not online 24/7 your out soon (like a bank) - especial when player can move their base faster

binshaden
In-game: binshaden

by binshaden » Post

could I get my skin set again?