And down again...

P.S.

"keep turning us on, and turning us off
you keep turning us on and turning us off x5" - Around the Horn by The Bronx

Killerz
In-game: Killerz

Re: Xanadu Server

by Killerz » Post

Huh,im pretty much sure its my and josh's area that is causing trouble,so i recommend everyone to stay away from thhe area around my and josh's base,he has mentioned the area in a earlier post
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

amadin

by amadin » Post

Killerz wrote:Huh,im pretty much sure its my and josh's area that is causing trouble,so i recommend everyone to stay away from thhe area around my and josh's base,he has mentioned the area in a earlier post
You must destroy it :)
Why Xanadu don't have autorestart?

Killerz

by Killerz » Post

Ten should remove it from the map using WorldEdit.
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Bobr

by Bobr » Post

Or we should just get iska on and tell her to fence of the area

Athemonium
In-game: Athemonium

by Athemonium » Post

They should make a clone server and try to find out what the problem is in that area, not nuke it. It might happen again.

Killerz

by Killerz » Post

Bobr- that doesn't solve the problem,anybody who gets close will crash the server,griefers could glitch in to crash the server, iska doesn't own the area,noob,ice,bonny,me and josh own the area,iska is a he,and it would take a long time and inconvenience to block it off,would be better and easier for ten to nuke the area
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

It would be much better just to fix the bug. We are having exactly the same issues on Grailtest (as you know Bobr).

The reason it can't be restarted is that the server doesn't crash. It just hangs in a loop, waiting for an ACK that never gets received. Even the minetest core devs don't really know what it causing this. We are working on it, but making slow progress. It is possible to clear dodgy areas of corrupted mapblocks without having to nuke the area.
Grailtest is dreaming ...

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

If the server is crashing every time you log in, this can be fixed by getting the main admin to reset your player position. This usually requires manually editing your player file.

TenPlus1
GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Xanadu server runs on a script that does restart when server crashes or something happens... but... this STALL glitch does just that, it stalls server and makes it think everything is ok, but meanwhile no-one can do anything or sign on... I've given a solution for this on the github issue page so we'll see what can be fixed.

Bobr

by Bobr » Post

its nice to know that every one is giving suggestions though so hopefully no server has this sort of gltch again

Killerz

by Killerz » Post

Server back up
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

Killerz

by Killerz » Post

Server down.......
EDM For the win!

Vassy - Secrets = LIFE

amadin

by amadin » Post

I had stall like this on my server after moving database from Leveldb to Redis (some virtual hostings can't work correct with Redis). Maybe (i not sure) possible write script which will check server status by pinging port every 1 minute. How ping port on Linux you can read here http://xmodulo.com/how-to-ping-specific ... -host.html
Last edited by amadin on Mon May 30, 2016 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Bobr

by Bobr » Post

Grails test is having the same problem if you want I'm sure afflatus would appreciate it if you or ten go on grails test nd see if it's the same problem

neozerosv
GitHub: neozerosv
IRC: neozerosv
In-game: neozerosv

by neozerosv » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Xanadu server runs on a script that does restart when server crashes or something happens... but... this STALL glitch does just that, it stalls server and makes it think everything is ok, but meanwhile no-one can do anything or sign on... I've given a solution for this on the github issue page so we'll see what can be fixed.
Just as an idea, it would'nt be better for the script check minetest job runing and the server list in http://www.minetest.net/servers/ so it can restart minetest when its not listed?.

Just an idea, i know you and Shinji work hard keeping the server online 24/7.

Thanks a lot.

auouymous
GitHub: auouymous
IRC: air
In-game: auouymous

by auouymous » Post

neozerosv wrote:Just as an idea, it would'nt be better for the script check minetest job runing and the server list in http://www.minetest.net/servers/ so it can restart minetest when its not listed?.
The server is probably using a looping script that restarts the server each time it exits.

The following script runs separately and checks the server list every 30 minutes (1800 seconds). The script kills the server if address not found. This should cause the loop to restart the server. Change it to "killall -9 minetestserver" if the server doesn't want to die.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
ADDRESS="98.166.90.48"
SECONDS=1800
while true; do
    sleep $SECONDS
    LIST=`wget -qO- http://servers.minetest.net/list`
    if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
        ENTRY=`echo "$LIST"|sed -e $'s:}:}\\\n:g'|grep "\"address\": \"$ADDRESS\""`
        if [ "$ENTRY" = "" ]; then
            echo "Server not found, killing it"
            killall minetestserver
        fi
    else
        echo "Unable to get server list"
    fi
done

mystik
GitHub: jasonjayr
In-game: mystik

by mystik » Post

You have to be careful with that --- sometimes the server list service does not respond correctly ...

I use a wrapper to connect to mine test servers and once in a great while the server list is down, or invalid, and it can't find the right server to connect to.

*FOR THIS ISSUE*, a better solution might be to (a) make a test connection to the server with an invalid account, and make sure the server responds in time (b) monitor traffic in/out of the server (xanadu is pretty busy, it'd be rare if it's idle), (b) montor CPU useage (when this bug triggers, it seems to spin into an infinite loop?)

*BUT* Killing the server violently like this can't possibly be good for the DB integrity. Doing this too frequently is probably an easy way to introduce corruption :(

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I hope the devs get this fixed quickly. I finally talked my Sister-in-law into trying minetest and... Xanadu and half the servers are all down. NOT a great introduction...

auouymous

by auouymous » Post

mystik wrote:You have to be careful with that --- sometimes the server list service does not respond correctly
The script handles it correctly if the list server is down or not responding (the $?=0 is success). But I will modify the script to validate the json in case the server returns garbage.

mystik wrote:a better solution might be to (a) make a test connection to the server with an invalid account
I actually started writing a little program that would send the initial connection packet to the server and wait for an ACK. That is the best way, but I didn't feel like looking up the values... It is also possible that a fake connecton could crash or stall the server, and the server has enough problems to deal with already.

mystik wrote:Killing the server violently like this can't possibly be good for the DB integrity.
Commands don't work when the server is stalled, doesn't matter if the admin runs the kill command or the script does. If the server is run with --terminalit might accept the /shutdown command from there, I don't know. If it does, it might be possible to have the script pipe the /shutdown command to it.

auouymous

by auouymous » Post

This does a little verification on the json and has better output for logging.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
ADDRESS="98.166.90.48"
SECONDS=1800
while true; do
    sleep $SECONDS
    NOW="$(/bin/date +%Y)-$(/bin/date +%m)-$(/bin/date +%d) $(/bin/date +%H:%M:%S)"
    LIST=`wget -qO- http://servers.minetest.net/list`
    if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
        ENTRIES=`echo "$LIST"|sed -e $'s:}:}\\\n:g'`
        V1=`echo "$ENTRIES"|head -n1|grep -E '{"total_max": {"servers": [0-9]+, "clients": [0-9]+}'`
        V2=`echo "$ENTRIES"|tail -n2|grep -E '], "total": {"servers": [0-9]+, "clients": [0-9]+}'`
        if [ "$V1" != "" -a "$V2" != "" ]; then
            ENTRY=`echo "$ENTRIES"|grep "\"address\": \"$ADDRESS\""`
            if [ "$ENTRY" = "" ]; then
                echo "[$NOW] Server not found, killing it!!!"
                killall minetestserver
            else
                echo "[$NOW] Server is okay"
            fi
        else
            echo "[$NOW] Server list is corrupt!"
        fi
    else
        echo "[$NOW] Unable to get server list!"
    fi
done

minetestjosh

by minetestjosh » Post

I'm not sure if restarting scripts are the answer since the update happened there are certain areas that are affected. Anyone logging in in those areas will always make the server crash and unless they quickly type /spawn and log off it could result in a crashing loop. Just my theory, anyway. Like mystik said, you don't want to corrupt the DB either, Xanadu has had some serious building going on on all the paths, hundreds if not thousands of player hours spent making stuff.

amadin

by amadin » Post

minetestjosh wrote:I'm not sure if restarting scripts are the answer since the update happened there are certain areas that are affected. Anyone logging in in those areas will always make the server crash and unless they quickly type /spawn and log off it could result in a crashing loop. Just my theory, anyway. Like mystik said, you don't want to corrupt the DB either, Xanadu has had some serious building going on on all the paths, hundreds if not thousands of player hours spent making stuff.
Xanadu have backups of DB, i think if server stall then TenPlus1 killing it with "killall minetestserver" or "killall -s KILL minetestserver".

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

minetestjosh wrote:I'm not sure if restarting scripts are the answer since the update happened there are certain areas that are affected. Anyone logging in in those areas will always make the server crash and unless they quickly type /spawn and log off it could result in a crashing loop.
A restart script is not the solution, it's a temporary workaround so we can all continue playing. Polling servers.minetest.net/list seems like taking a sledgehammer to a small moving target, I prefer amadin's idea of pinging the port directly, but it's a question of what works ultimately.

AFA restarts are concerned I run my own server via systemctl, so I would use systemctl restart, which I trust does the right thing. If minetest-server is running from a script you don't have much choice but to kill it. I don't know what the possibilities are of corrupting the db this way. That would be good to know.

What you're describing is an engine bug AFAICT, it does seem like the result of map corruption and also seems to affect areas with multiple ownership / protection, although there are exceptions to that. I also suspect it is related to this stall glitch, but so far I can't prove it; I'm calling this the "Bermuda Triangle effect". We need to provide enough information to reproduce these errors in order to get them fixed and unfortunately this one seems to slip away if you look at it too hard.

It would be useful if everyone would provide details of OS and minetest build (or clone) when reporting bugs plus a clear explanation of what they did to trigger the problem. That would give devs a chance to build a clearer picture of what is happening. There was an idea that stalling was related to the increase in mobile clients but I've seen it triggered by PC users too. By 'triggered' I don't mean 'caused' btw. I'm currently wondering whether the Bermuda triangle effect has something to do with protection or lighting.