Searching for Server!

Tyyni

Searching for Server!

by Tyyni » Post

Not sure if this is the proper place for this. If it is, please feel free to move this thread or whatever.

Ok so I've been playing Minetest for a bit, then I decided to jump on some servers. Multiplayer is much more fun for me compared to single player, however I'm having a hard time finding a server I can get involved in. Perhaps someone here can help me out.

I'm looking for a server with a survival/adventure element, something newer and less developed then some servers. Something with HUD/Mobs/Etc installed to make the survival element a bit more realistic.

English speaking mature players is a big deal for me, since I cannot speak any other language.

I can't host my own server simply because my laptop is horrible.

If anyone knows of a server, or wants to set one up, please feel free to respond to this topic or PM me. I'd prefer 18+ people to play with.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

How about looking through the whole server list and checking each of them?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

Tyyni wrote: HUD/Mobs/Etc installed to make the survival element a bit more realistic.
that's gonna be a hard one. most servers don't have mobs, simply since it slows everything down way too much.
Tyyni wrote:I'd prefer 18+ people to play with.

there is a very wide range of players in this game. unless it is a whitelist project, there are gonna be some younger kids. however, there are a lot of young kids who are plenty mature for the game.

and, as Krock said, take a look through the servers on the list. might find one that strikes your fancy.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Tyyni

by Tyyni » Post

I looked through the servers. I am having a hard time finding a server with mobs and english speakers. The age range is just a hint at maturity. I do not expect to just play with 18+ but I'm hoping to find mature players. With some games, this can be difficult.
I appreciate your responses however!

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

I think the biggest problem is you want mobs. unless you are playing on a small (like ten players tops) server, you aren't gonna find mobs. it's the sort of thing that no one wants to play with 80 second lag. if you want, you can try playing on survival servers, and just ask around to see if anyone has a private server with mobs installed.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Tyyni

by Tyyni » Post

I'll try that thanks :)
I guess I've never had problems with mobs slowing my game down. Some of the mods do slow it down, like the furniture mod and such. Didn't realize it would be such a problem.

Novacain

by Novacain » Post

Tyyni wrote:I'll try that thanks :)
I guess I've never had problems with mobs slowing my game down. Some of the mods do slow it down, like the furniture mod and such. Didn't realize it would be such a problem.
well, not when it's one person. make it 20 people, spread over a large area, and all of a sudden you have so many mobs that the lag is insuffereable.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod

Tyyni

by Tyyni » Post

That makes sense. Well hopefully I'll find a private server, it's so boring doing things alone lol

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Perhaps you'd enjoy the mineguild.de server. It even runs mobf! The players are mature, the server has not been developed much (although the very few buildings that are there are of good quality), it has hunger installed. Only disadvantages there might be that players are few and the server is mostly German - which isn't such a big problem as everybody can speak English. People just have to know that you prefer that language. The few signs ought to be no real problem.

Another server with mobs installed - in this case simple mobs - is the Xanadu server. It has an intresting mapgen and seems to aim at hardcore survival (=almost complete item loss at death currently). Unfortionately, the "mature players" requirement is more difficult here - many phone/tablet users manage to connect to the server due to there not beeing much media content, and most of these do not behave mature. Of course that's a problem each server with few media data and interact on join faces. The moderators/admins do a good job but can't be everywhere.

Hopefully, the general problems Minetest has with entities will eventually be solved. When that happens, VanessaE's survival server will be equipped with simple mobs again. The players on that server are mature and build well. There are plenty of unexplored regions :-) Mobs are of course only an addition there. The main goal is to build well and have fun.

A further option might be one of the FreeMiner-servers run by paramat (i.e. road, sky). I personally did not like them that much because my needs as a builder where not adressed (my ice castle melted unexpectedly - who could know that there would be seasons? PvP wasn't dealt with - "kill the attacker" is not the answer which will make me stay). The landscape and mapgen of these worlds is truely impressive.

In general, there seem to be too many problems with mobs to run them successfully on a large server with many mature players. Most servers running mobs of some kind are either small and/or don't last very long.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Daven

by Daven » Post

Sokomine wrote:Perhaps you'd enjoy the mineguild.de server. It even runs mobf! The players are mature, the server has not been developed much (although the very few buildings that are there are of good quality), it has hunger installed. Only disadvantages there might be that players are few and the server is mostly German - which isn't such a big problem as everybody can speak English. People just have to know that you prefer that language. The few signs ought to be no real problem.

Another server with mobs installed - in this case simple mobs - is the Xanadu server. It has an intresting mapgen and seems to aim at hardcore survival (=almost complete item loss at death currently). Unfortionately, the "mature players" requirement is more difficult here - many phone/tablet users manage to connect to the server due to there not beeing much media content, and most of these do not behave mature. Of course that's a problem each server with few media data and interact on join faces. The moderators/admins do a good job but can't be everywhere.

Hopefully, the general problems Minetest has with entities will eventually be solved. When that happens, VanessaE's survival server will be equipped with simple mobs again. The players on that server are mature and build well. There are plenty of unexplored regions :-) Mobs are of course only an addition there. The main goal is to build well and have fun.

A further option might be one of the FreeMiner-servers run by paramat (i.e. road, sky). I personally did not like them that much because my needs as a builder where not adressed (my ice castle melted unexpectedly - who could know that there would be seasons? PvP wasn't dealt with - "kill the attacker" is not the answer which will make me stay). The landscape and mapgen of these worlds is truely impressive.

In general, there seem to be too many problems with mobs to run them successfully on a large server with many mature players. Most servers running mobs of some kind are either small and/or don't last very long.
Yeah....What he said