[Modpack] WorldEdit [worldedit]

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: [Modpack] WorldEdit [worldedit] - move broken?

by pampogokiraly » Post

PEAK wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 14:41
move broken?

Not the first time I encountered this.
I decided to move the upper part of my building one block up.

... selected the region
... //move y 1

I don’t know exactly the dimensions, but it said:
"warning, could affect 825976 nodes"
... //y
"412988 nodes moved"

But what was moved are only the marks and boundaries of the selected region, no block moved and no further action possible.

After 15 minutes (!) I decided to close Minetest - I had to kill it because it hang.
The map.sqlite hadn’t changed ever since I typed "//move y 1".

Saving the region as some.we, replacing region with air, and loading the some.we to a point one block higher: worked instantly.

So I assume the move command is broken.

(For smaller regions it works fine. But I think 825976 nodes is not sooo big.)

My MT version: 5.4.1, the worldedit mod is up-to-date from ContenDB.
Yes. Move is a lot slower than most other commands. I have no idea why cuz I don't know anything about coding, but you should never move such big areas with //move
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

PEAK
In-game: PEAK

by PEAK » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 18:37
Yes. Move is a lot slower than most other commands.
Szervusz ;)

It’s not slower, it doesn’t work at all. In addition it freezes the game so that it cannot be closed properly.
As I suspected: actually broken!
pampogokiraly wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 18:37
you should never move such big areas with //move
Why is it then called "world"edit?
I am okay with using the screenshots in all my posts for the website of Minetest (http://minetest.net).

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

PEAK wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 22:23
Szervusz ;)
yas! moar hungarians!
PEAK wrote:
It’s not slower, it doesn’t work at all. In addition it freezes the game so that it cannot be closed properly.
As I suspected: actually broken!
I'm not sure about that. Each time I move a bigger and bigger area, it just simply takes more time until I reach my computer's limit. But I think with stronger servers and/or better clients (or idk which one you need... I don't know too much about this kind of stuff sadly), you can move even bigger areas. But at a point they would still get too large that the server can't compute...
PEAK wrote:
Why is it then called "world"edit?
Yes. We could call it building-edit but imo that sounds way worse than worldedit, and also the mod is pretty similar to minecraft's worldedit mod, so naming them the same helps people who came from MC to MT

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: [Modpack] WorldEdit [worldedit]

by sfan5 » Post

I tested this a bit locally and couldn't find anything broken. Perhaps your area was (accidentally) too big.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

There really should be an //undo

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 15:14
I agree. But yeah you should really make backups of your world before you are going to do something big and risky.

I did found a mod a while ago to add that, but that mod didn't work (most likely because of beeing outdated).

And my knowledge of these type of stuff is not too great, but I can think of a way actually.
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

AmyMoriyama
GitHub: AmyMoriyama

by AmyMoriyama » Post

Miniontoby wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 18:16
AmyMoriyama wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 15:14
I agree. But yeah you should really make backups of your world before you are going to do something big and risky.

I did found a mod a while ago to add that, but that mod didn't work (most likely because of beeing outdated).

And my knowledge of these type of stuff is not too great, but I can think of a way actually.
When working with worldedit, mistakes can happen and you can't backup your world every few minutes, would be too tedious and downright silly when the more logical option is simply an undo command. Some years ago, I literally accidentally set a good several thousand blocks to torches due to a mix of tiredness and bad eyesight. Trying to undo such a think manually just isn't going to go well unless you just set everything to air or dirt or something, but that is also silly. Again, why there is no undo function is actually shocking. Everything has undo functions. Text editors, office software, pretty much anywhere you can type, 3D software, image editing software, video editing software, you name it. Anything that could need an undo function has an undo function, except worldedit for minetest. Worldedit for Minecraft has an undo function.

PEAK
In-game: PEAK

by PEAK » Post

Hello sfan5, thank you for looking over this.
sfan5 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 20:47
I tested this a bit locally and couldn't find anything broken. Perhaps your area was (accidentally) too big.
I recall some time ago when I moved much bigger regions - sure: it took a while, but not 15 minutes ...
I am okay with using the screenshots in all my posts for the website of Minetest (http://minetest.net).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

AmyMoriyama wrote: When working with worldedit, mistakes can happen and you can't backup your world every few minutes, would be too tedious and downright silly when the more logical option is simply an undo command.
An undo command would certainly be great and useful. Sadly the information for the undoing needs to be stored somewhere. So when you set a large area to something else, or move large parts of the map around - it needs to be stored somewhere. Undo for smaller things - like i.e. a normal-sized house - is doable. My handle_schematics mod supports that in the way that you can remove the spawned structure and restore the original landscape.

Areas which are at the brink of beeing too big for WorldEdit to handle would put even more of a strain on the server when tyring to save them as well.
A list of my mods can be found here.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

While not good for moving things, terraform mod has an undo command

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 16:55
Sadly the information for the undoing needs to be stored somewhere. So when you set a large area to something else, or move large parts of the map around - it needs to be stored somewhere. Undo for smaller things - like i.e. a normal-sized house - is doable. My handle_schematics mod supports that in the way that you can remove the spawned structure and restore the original landscape.

Areas which are at the brink of beeing too big for WorldEdit to handle would put even more of a strain on the server when tyring to save them as well.
As far as I can see, there's no problem if the changes are well compressible.
https://github.com/HybridDog/we_undo/bl ... t.lua#L403

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote: As far as I can see, there's no problem if the changes are well compressible.
I'm less worried about disk space here. More about available RAM and time/lag. There are situations where those limits are reached. Any additional operation may make things worse.

While minetest.create_schematic works pretty well as such, it does not take care of metadata - so that has to be handled manually in a situation where not many ressources are left.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Matyáš Pilz
GitHub: Matyas-Pilz
In-game: MatyasP

by Matyáš Pilz » Post

Can I copy something from relative position of player on start of copying, and to the same relative position on end of copying, as is it in Minecraft World Edit plugin / mod?
cdb_16e93331cce1

hacknorris
GitHub: hacknorris-aka-penguin
IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

i have a very nooby question - someone here maybe knows how to copy a bunch of nodes just to paste them in other places?
wanted to make a few cities (to build something bigger) but building every house would a pain in the a** ...
means - i know world edit have a prebuilt houses but i dont want random ones - just only one type of house at custom positions...

L-Dog
GitHub: N-nec
In-game: L-Dog

by L-Dog » Post

hacknorris wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 18:14
i have a very nooby question - someone here maybe knows how to copy a bunch of nodes just to paste them in other places?
wanted to make a few cities (to build something bigger) but building every house would a pain in the a** ...
means - i know world edit have a prebuilt houses but i dont want random ones - just only one type of house at custom positions...
yer... Mark your area/building with //1 and //2... then 'save/load region' .. Save it as something proper like 'city'

Then to place it .. Mark a //1 and 'save/load region' but type the name of the saved one and click load

Saving and Placing Area will cause a BIG Lag Spike so just ride it out

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

L-Dog wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 21:58
hacknorris wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 18:14
yer... Mark your area/building with //1 and //2... then 'save/load region' .. Save it as something proper like 'city'

Then to place it .. Mark a //1 and 'save/load region' but type the name of the saved one and click load

Saving and Placing Area will cause a BIG Lag Spike so just ride it out
ok, tenks =]

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

+ im reporting a bug - i dont have gui in inventory, in any version of it (only brush and wand). whatever i do. i download addon via contentdb btw...
screenshot for prove :
Attachments
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-06-18_12-33-01.png
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-06-18_12-33-01.png (572.38 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

not saying about this lightning bug :
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-06-18_17-49-26.png
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-06-18_17-49-26.png (480.02 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

hacknorris wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 15:50
I downloaded the ContentDB version and witnessed this right away sometime ago, although I had many mods installed so couldn't point a finger.
I can't reproduce this on Minetest 5.6.0-dev with Worldedit master. It must have been already fixed.
Jump in the caac

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

Eris wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 16:23
hacknorris wrote:
I downloaded the ContentDB version and witnessed this right away sometime ago, although I had many mods installed so couldn't point a finger.
I can't reproduce this on Minetest 5.6.0-dev with Worldedit master. It must have been already fixed.
WAIT- BUT I USE BOTH NEWEST VERSIONS ?! both downloaded yesterday after deinstalling ages ago. right from download pages...

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

again...
mistaken...
send help...
wanted next house ;-;
Attachments
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-06-18_20-36-49.png
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2022-06-18_20-36-49.png (638.9 KiB) Viewed 3441 times

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

hacknorris wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:32
+ im reporting a bug - i dont have gui in inventory, in any version of it (only brush and wand). whatever i do. i download addon via contentdb btw...
screenshot for prove :
The gui should be in the crafting tab

pampogokiraly

by pampogokiraly » Post

hacknorris wrote:
Select the bugged area (it is bigger than it seems. usually pretty tall), and use //fixlight

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 20:05
hacknorris wrote:
Select the bugged area (it is bigger than it seems. usually pretty tall), and use //fixlight
but i know about it, yes? i just mentioned that i think it should be prebuilt after adding nodes (internal subcommand)

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 20:05
hacknorris wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:32
screenshot for prove :
The gui should be in the crafting tab
already saw lool. i never use this tab cuz i do in creative :'D