[Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

Re: [Mod] Boost cart [boost_cart]

by benrob0329 » Post

Would forceloading the rails be possible?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

amadin wrote:Can you add different texture inside and outside cart? I want replace texture with wheels like in minecart.
Can you set contorl by keys (up, down), like in minecraft, or how can i do this by itself?.
Yes. You can replace the "cart.png" texture and "cart.x" model.
The `down´ key decelerates the cart, so it's easy to add the `up´ key to accelerate the cart.
https://github.com/SmallJoker/boost_car ... t.lua#L232
You may try adding the following under the handbrake function:

Code: Select all

if ctrl and ctrl.up then
acc = acc + 0.5
end
Laudrin wrote:I recognized that boost_cart rails have a slightly brighter texture <snip> Nothing serious, but is that an intentional choice?

Some suggestions <snip>: <snip> switch railroad junctions
<snip> when the signal is red, a brake rail would stop the cart (not only decelerate) independent of its speed.
There are still some glitchy situations when there's high lag, so don't expect a smooth ride.
The old textures were not useful after the direction choice feature, so I replaced them to give them a better look.

You can use sticky pistons to destroy the rails, so the cart will stop instantly (or maybe not?).
Brake rails can turned on and off with mesecons already now, so a new type or rail would be required (buffer rail?).

The "forced" switch is a good idea. Mesecon signal on junction = push cart in the opposite direction.
If you know Lua and how to use GitHub, I would like to see a pull request. Otherwise it may take a while until I add new features.
benrob0329 wrote:Would forceloading the rails be possible?
It forceloads specific nodes, if they're not loaded yet. However, this does not work anytime.
https://github.com/SmallJoker/boost_car ... ns.lua#L38
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Laudrin
IRC: Laudrin
In-game: laudrin

by Laudrin » Post

Krock wrote:You can use sticky pistons to destroy the rails, so the cart will stop instantly (or maybe not?).
Hm, I already experimented with those, but as you said, that would mean the rail track would be destroyed and I'd have to repair it manually.
Brake rails can turned on and off with mesecons already now, so a new type or rail would be required (buffer rail?).
Unfortunately brake rails are too unreliable where exactly the cart will stop (at first I tried to slow down the cart via brake rails so it will stop on a longer part of the track containing powered rails, but sometimes the cart would stop on the brake rails, sometimes it won't slow down enough and pass the brake and the powered rails) and I cannot restart the cart via button / powered rails.

Maybe best would be a start/stop rail. When not connected to a power source / powered mesecon the cart would stop (instant brake rail), when powered the rails would act like a powered rail.
The "forced" switch is a good idea. Mesecon signal on junction = push cart in the opposite direction.
If you know Lua and how to use GitHub, I would like to see a pull request. Otherwise it may take a while until I add new features.
I already browsed the code, but I'm neither familiar with Lua nor GitHub. I'll try to understand how programming/modding for Minetest is done in Lua and if I'd succeed I attach / send the code for further testing. :-) But please don't expect results too soon from someone new to Lua like me.

Thanks for taking my suggestions into consideration! :-)

Laudrin

by Laudrin » Post

Krock, I created a new kind of rail ("stop rail") which should stop the cart when not powered via mesecon, and accelerate it when powered. Acceleration works fine, but I only can find a way to set an amount of deceleration for the rail, not to stop the cart completely via function or directly setting the carts velocity to zero.

Can you give me a hint how it's done?

If the stop rail works, it can be used to build signals which will stop the cart immediately when signalling red/stop and start them again as soon as the signal turns green/go.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Laudrin wrote:Can you give me a hint how it's done?
Using the acceleration and deceleration feature is a good start but not the best solution. The cart calculates its velocity each node, this means, it will decelerate and start moving backwards again (like it does on hills).

What I would do is:
- Adding a new meta int "cart_stop" to the new stop rail node
- Checking the meta value near here
- Changing acceleration `acc´ and velocity `vel´ array all to zero and the velocity update flag `update.vel´ to `true´ when the integer "cart_stop" equals 1

The problem will be the cart starting. It does not know in which direction it was driving before -> valvulated by velocity.
However, also this can be solved by getting the cart yaw and defining its direction that way.

I hope this explanation was partwise understandable.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

was playing with the freeze mod some time ago that had a similar problem.
I experimented with teleporting the player/object a zero distance to eleminate any velocity.
btw never got working the way I had hoped.

so with carts, how about the rail detecting the passing cart and teleporting it back to the center of the node and while doing so over riding any direction and velocity information. might have something of a snapback effect on a fast cart on a laggy server though. :-D

you might have the special rail store the movement information for future use if needed.

Laudrin

by Laudrin » Post

Krock wrote:The cart calculates its velocity each node, this means, it will decelerate and start moving backwards again (like it does on hills).
Yes, that was my problem, the cart would reverse direction instead of stopping.
- Adding a new meta int "cart_stop" to the new stop rail node
- Checking the meta value near init.lua line 219
- Changing acceleration `acc´ and velocity `vel´ array all to zero and the velocity update flag `update.vel´ to `true´ when the integer "cart_stop" equals 1
Did what you recommended, testing for hours with various variants of the code try to work out lua programming with the tutorials and looking at your mod and other mod's code.

Even with restarting minetest, removing the rails and building them anew I get different results. Sometimes it works: The cart will stop on the stop rail and start again (even in the right direction) when punching the mesecon button connected to the rails. But sometimes the cart will just slow down a bit and then accelerate again, passing the stop rail. :-/

I duplicated the power rail's code and texture, renamed the texture and changed it's color, and replaced parts of the code as follows:

after_place_node = function(pos, placer, itemstack)
		if not mesecon then
			minetest.env:get_meta(pos):set_int("cart_stop", "1")
		end
	end,

mesecons = {
		effector = {
			action_on = function(pos, node)
				minetest.env:get_meta(pos):set_int("cart_stop", "0")
				boost_cart:boost_rail(pos, 2)
			end,

action_off = function(pos, node)
				minetest.env:get_meta(pos):set_int("cart_stop", "1")
			end,
		},
	},
I changed the rail and crafting definition, too. That seems to work, I can craft the stop rails and place them on the ground.

Here's the part in the init.lua I added (without the print commands for debug output):

local stop_mod = tonumber(minetest.get_meta(pos):get_int("cart_stop"))
if stop_mod and stop_mod >= 1 then
	acc = 0
	for _,v in ipairs({"x","y","z"}) do
		vel[v] = 0
		update.vel = true
	end
end
But as I wrote sometimes it works, sometimes the cart won't stop even when the debug message tells me that the stop rail was detected and velocity set to 0.
The problem will be the cart starting. It does not know in which direction it was driving before -> valvulated by velocity.
However, also this can be solved by getting the cart yaw and defining its direction that way.
Thanks, I will look into it as soon as I fixed stopping and starting the cart.

SaKeL
GitHub: JurajVajda
IRC: SaKeL
In-game: SaKeL

by SaKeL » Post

i get stuck in the walls and floor when im driving and punching the cart (not sure if punching it is the reason), is this known issue ? Only logout/login helps to un-stuck myself again :/

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

twoelk wrote:how about the rail detecting the passing cart and teleporting it back to the center of the node and while doing so over riding any direction and velocity information
That's what the cart should do when it can't find the next rail - it resets to the last known position. However, this seems not to work everytime.
Laudrin wrote:Even with restarting minetest, removing the rails and building them anew I get different results. Sometimes it works: The cart will stop on the stop rail and start again (even in the right direction) when punching the mesecon button connected to the rails. But sometimes the cart will just slow down a bit and then accelerate again, passing the stop rail. :-/
If the cart moves too fast, it can "skip" a node - it does not check it if it's a rail or not. Using this method, the cart should move a bit smoother. However, the downside is that you might need two or even three nodes until the cart reads one of them when driving on them.
SaKeL wrote:i get stuck in the walls and floor when im driving and punching the cart
Yes, sometimes it doesn't reset the cart position. I haven't found a way to fix this yet. Early versions of boost_cart had more bugs in that area - make sure you have the latest version from GitHub.

amadin

by amadin » Post

ATTENTION!!! Mod have bug: if you put cart and then disconnect and connect again - cart will not work.

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

ATTENTION!!! Mod have bug: if you put cart and then disconnect and connect again - cart will not work.
That bug was fixed :) Enjoy your railways! Works nice for me.

by 222 » Post

Krock wrote:
amadin wrote:You may try adding the following under the handbrake function:

if ctrl and ctrl.up then
acc = acc + 0.5
end
I've tried adding it after

if ctrl and ctrl.down and math.abs(vel.x + vel.z) > 1.2 then
				acc = acc - 1.2
			end
and I'm not seeing a difference. Did I put it in the wrong place?
Thanks.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

222 wrote:and I'm not seeing a difference. Did I put it in the wrong place?
No, you added it correctly. To make the difference bigger, try changing the value to 1 instead of 0.5:

acc = acc + 1
When you did everything correctly, it should work properly.

luewind
In-game: luewind

by luewind » Post

Decided to try this mod because the base carts mode was too buggy and so far have like it. I have found two possible issues; I have a rather large square mine under my base and wanted to use rails to easily get up and down. he going down isn't the issue but going up is the issue. I currently have boost rails every other rail but just using the power of the boost rails to move the cart forward its only able to climb ~24 block before is slows down too much and heads back down. The only reason i can gather that the cart slows down is that dir.y gets too large, a dir.y value of 3 or greater will negate any acc from the boost rails.

the other issue is that this code:

if mesecon then
		boost_cart:signal_detector_rail(vector.round(pos))
end
still throws a nil exception. the fix you recently made on github to line 27 of the init file will fix it. What is odd is that i have mesecons installed but the detector rail is not available.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

luewind wrote:still throws a nil exception. the fix you recently made on github to line 27 of the init file will fix it. What is odd is that i have mesecons installed but the detector rail is not available.
Thanks for the report. This bug was fixed in the most recent commit: 7d6132

If it still doesn't work after this commit, check if you enabled the mod "mesecons" or reinstall the complete modpack if required.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Today it just occurred to me that the arrow keys are not working for me. I assumed it was a laptop thing. I tried with a real keyboard as well. I can not use the arrows to turn at crossings, nor can I brake with the down arrow key. I tried on our server and also in singleplayer.
Minetest does see my arrow keys as I can toggle through command history in chat. That said... is it possible the new chat could be affecting this for boost carts? Can anyone replicate this behavior? Or am I missing something?
Love the mod by the way.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

ExeterDad wrote:Today it just occurred to me that the arrow keys are not working for me.
Using Lua it's not possible to check the <- ^ v -> arrow keys, thus you must use A and D to switch the rails.
Surely it works in the chat, because it's a client side thing ;)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Thanks Krock. I completely misunderstood. I took it as literal that the < ^ v > keys were used in this mod. Can't believe I never thought to try the WASD keys *headsmack

I'll check it out later when we play again.

Jesseman1
In-game: Jesseman1 or Plant_Operator

by Jesseman1 » Post

Quick question: I've never updated a mod before, so is the link found on the first page changed with every update, or do I need to scroll through the list of replies to find it?

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

The links in his first post are linked to his GitHub. Those kind of links are the latest code.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Update time

There is now a slightly modified version of this boost_cart mod in the official minetest_game. Thus, you will most likely not need this mod anymore after the release of Minetest 0.4.15.
However, there are some differences:

Mesecons
When enabled, they are used to turn the acceleration of power- and brake-rails on and off. In the MTG (minetest_game) version you won't be able to turn them off again: all rails have a pre-defined acceleration value, which cannot be changed per node (yet).

Additional rails
The start/stop and detector rails, which depend on mesecons, are only available in this mod. They will result in unknown nodes when disabling boost_cart.

Other..
Also the people people who use a different subgame can still use carts without the effort to copy & paste the carts mod out of MTG. All subgames which contain the default mod (= almost all of them) are fully supported.

Latest changes (in boost_cart)
New rail textures, the T junction rails now show the default choosen direction, when no key is pressed to move the cart in the opposite direction.

Don't forget to report bugs and ask questions - bring the development along!

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Hey why the change?

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

There is a big problem with the included carts mod now: you can't punch a side to change the direction, it just keeps going and going until you pick it up. So on my server I moved carts out of games/minetest_game/mods while leaving boost_cart there.

There is a bug a player discovered: /home does not work when you are inside a cart.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

ABJ wrote:Hey why the change?
Because I can. \o/
redblade7 wrote:you can't punch a side to change the direction, it just keeps going and going until you pick it up.
I tested this with the latest version of MTG's carts on a Windows in-development build and couldn't reproduce this issue. Please download/pull the newest version from GitHub and try again.
redblade7 wrote:/home does not work when you are inside a cart.
/teleport does not work then aswell. Mods that use attachments like beds, boats and planes have the same behaviour. It would mess up these mods when the players would be force teleported, thus this is not a bug and logically won't be fixed.

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

Krock wrote:
redblade7 wrote:you can't punch a side to change the direction, it just keeps going and going until you pick it up.
I tested this with the latest version of MTG's carts on a Windows in-development build and couldn't reproduce this issue. Please download/pull the newest version from GitHub and try again.
MTG's powered rails without mesecons power plants are as fast as your powered rails with mesecons power plants. So there's no "in-between speed" for rail systems already built.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)