[Mod] Pyramids (with treasures) [1.0.4] [tsm_pyramids]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Mod] Pyramids (with treasures) [1.0.4] [tsm_pyramids]

by Wuzzy » Post

Pyramids with treasures!

This is a mod for Minetest Game and will generate pyramids in deserts and sandstone deserts. You will find treasure inside, but beware! It is told the culture that built the pyramids did not leave their treasures unprotected …

Features:
  • 3 pyramid types: Sandstone, desert sandstone and desert stone
  • Dangers lurk inside!
  • Treasure chests! (1 treasure chest guaranteed per pyramid)
  • Many different treasure room designs and variants. Each pyramid might be something new.
  • 6 collectible decorative blocks
  • 100% translated into German
  • Optional support for Treasurer for custom treasures (note: Only use Treasurer if you understand it, see the Treasurer help). If you don't use Treasurer, default treasures are being used
Download and stuff
Licenses and credits
  • This mod is a fork of BlockMen’s Pyramids mod.
  • Source code: MIT License (BlockMen, Wuzzy)
  • Mesh models: MIT License (credit goes to Pavel_S)
  • Textures: MIT License, CC-BY-SA 3.0 (bas080)
  • Sounds: CC0 (see README.md for more information)
Attachments
Screenshot of some pyramids
Screenshot of some pyramids
screenshot.png (60.27 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Thu Feb 23, 2023 13:43, edited 23 times in total.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: [Mod] Pyramids (with Treasurer support) [0.5] [tsm_pyram

by Krock » Post

Could you extend the original pyramids mod with the treasurer support?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

No, I can’t. I do not have write access to the original repository. And BlockMen won’t let me. BlockMen also did not agree to put Treasurer support into the mod. Therefore, the only feasible solution I saw is to fork.

I don’t think the original Pyramids mod is going to be updated soon, but I will try to merge any updates in the original Pyramids mod into tsm_pyramids.

You can probably use tsm_pyramids as a drop-in replacement for the original pyramids mod, it should be compatible, but I did not test it. If it works, fine. But better backup your worlds before switching.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

function pyramids.fill_chest is all it really has to change right?

Cant you just make a tsm_pyramids init.lua for treasurer without having to duplicate/replace the pyramids mod?

or is it because pyramids mod already populates the chests and treasurer mod cant mess with them without errors?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Napiophelios wrote:function pyramids.fill_chest is all it really has to change right?
No. Besides pyramids.fill_chest, depends.txt also has to change.
You can view the change I made here:
http://repo.or.cz/w/minetest_pyramids/t ... fd28d21673
Napiophelios wrote:Cant you just make a tsm_pyramids init.lua for treasurer without having to duplicate/replace the pyramids mod?
No, certainly not. Treasurer is intended to be a pure API mod to which other mods interface to. Putting tsm_pyramids code directly into Treasurer would immediately undermine this idea.
Also, this would add a hard dependency on default to Treasurer. But Treasurer must stay clean of any mod depencencies, otherwise it would cease to be a pure API mod.
Treasurer is not a trivial mod. To learn more about how Treasurer works, read its thread. If you have more questions about Treasurer or don’t understand it, feel free to ask a question in the Treasurer thread.
Napiophelios wrote: or is it because pyramids mod already populates the chests and treasurer mod cant mess with them without errors?
Ugh, what kind of question is that?
The correct answer is “No”.

The Pyramids mod already populates the chest. But treasurer does not mess with chests at all, it does not know anything about the method by which the treasures are brought into the world. Treasurer only selects the treasures, tsm_pyramids will put them into the world.

Currently, tsm_pyramids works like this:
If the Treasurer mod is present, it will use Treasurer to select some random treasures, returned by Treasurer’s API.
If the Treasurer mod is not present, the mod will fall back to its own simple treasure selection algorithm, which is pretty limited, but it works. This fallback code was inherited from the original mod.
After the treasures have been selected, tsm_pyramids will place them into the chests.

After all, doing all this as a fork is the most sensible solution to me right now. But if BlockMen merges my changes into the original mod, I will abandon this fork, because it won’t be neccessary anymore. Remember, a Git repository is online. :)

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

I already use treasurer,I have a Treasurer_modpack with a couple of the tsm_defaults altered,
I was just hoping to be able to drop another tsm folder into the modpack.

I also use pyramids but I edited out all the mummy spawning
...I just didnt wanna do that again with this one

Thanks for the detailed answers;
gonna go try out tsm_mines :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

It is nice to know that someone actually uses Treasurer and even experimented with it a little bit. I almost thought I was the only one who creates or edits mods for Treasurer. :-)

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Wuzzy wrote: The main difference from the original mod is that this mod utilizes Treasurer to spawn the treasures in the chests [...]
What are the other differences?
Wuzzy wrote:No, I can’t. I do not have write access to the original repository. And BlockMen won’t let me.
Wut? Ofc you have no acess to my repository, but there is something called "pull request".
Wuzzy wrote:BlockMen also did not agree to put Treasurer support into the mod.
Right, I still don't see the point in using your API for that. Your mod might be handy in some cases or for other mods, but not for the few items in my mod.
Wuzzy wrote:Therefore, the only feasible solution I saw is to fork.
Best way to reach you goal wouldn't be forking (and providing nealy the same code again), it would be a small mod that depends on Treasurer and pyramids and overrides pyramids.fill_chest()(https://github.com/BlockMen/pyramids/bl ... it.lua#L18)
Would also be easier to maintain in case of the possible updates.

But since its WTFPL you can do with it whatever you want ofc; just my two cents on it ;)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

BlockMen wrote:
Wuzzy wrote: The main difference from the original mod is that this mod utilizes Treasurer to spawn the treasures in the chests [...]
What are the other differences?
There is only one other difference. The mod adds a forgotten dependency on farming as optional dependency. If neither Treasurer nor farming are present, no bread will spawn (would be unknown item otherwise).
Wut? Ofc you have no acess to my repository, but there is something called "pull request".
All my code is on a Git repository as well, so you might as well merge, if you wish. A pull request is a vendor-specific tool and not at all neccessary to get things going. ;-)
Right, I still don't see the point in using your API for that. Your mod might be handy in some cases or for other mods, but not for the few items in my mod.
Everything which appears in the treasure chests is not from your mod, so I don’t understand you here.
And the idea of Treasurer is simply that not just those few default treasures spawn, but as many as have been available to Treasurer. Treasures from other mods can cleanly spawn as well.

Example: Imagine you have 15 mods installed, all have interesting items worthy for treasure chests. But no matter how many worthy items you have with the installed mods, the normal pyramids mod will always select the treasures from the same pool of the default mods. Treasurer helps to select the interesting items from all 15 mods, rather than just limiting to the frew from the default game, and all that without depending on all those mods. The other way to do that, that is, without Treasurer, would require to add a dependency to each of these mods, which is of course completely not managable.

I hope you at least understand what this is all about, even if you may not want to use this mod.
Best way to reach you goal wouldn't be forking (and providing nealy the same code again), it would be a small mod that depends on Treasurer and pyramids and overrides pyramids.fill_chest()(https://github.com/BlockMen/pyramids/bl ... it.lua#L18)
Would also be easier to maintain in case of the possible updates.
Hm. I think of that when there will be actually some updates and merging becomes annoying. Otherwise, I don’t feel like doing the conversion again right now, since I would basically have to start over again and throw the existing repository away. ;-)

Wuzzy

Version 0.6 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Hi! I have released version 0.6. This is only a minor bugfix release fixing a possible bug I discovered in 0.4.11. Namely, a variable accidentally went global but should have been local only.

guideahon
In-game: guideahon

Re: [Mod] Pyramids (with Treasurer support) [0.6] [tsm_pyram

by guideahon » Post

Wuzzy, i made a modification for your mod, i added "false_sandstone_brick", is the same as the other one but unbreakeable to prevent pyramids from being too easy, also, i would love to see a big mummy spawner at the entrance activated when the user wants to get out of the pyramid, this would prevent someone entering a pyramid just after spawn and already getting diamond picks and more treasures (you shoud go well equiped to survive) Mabe the pyramid could be slightly bigger (2 floors)
Excellent mod!!!

poikilos
GitHub: Poikilos
In-game: Poikilos

Re: Version 0.6 released!

by poikilos » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Hi! I have released version 0.6. This is only a minor bugfix release fixing a possible bug I discovered in 0.4.11. Namely, a variable accidentally went global but should have been local only.
I am still having global vs local problems:

Code: Select all

2016-05-24 15:22:32: WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "default_model_def" accessed at ...re/minetest/games/fca_game_a/mods/tsm_pyramids/mummy.lua:63
2016-05-24 15:22:32: WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "visual" inside a function at ...re/minetest/games/fca_game_a/mods/tsm_pyramids/mummy.lua:63.
2016-05-24 15:22:32: WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "prop" inside a function at ...re/minetest/games/fca_game_a/mods/tsm_pyramids/mummy.lua:70.
I am using the git version. I checked my mummy_update_visuals_def function in mummy.lua and it is the same as git:

function mummy_update_visuals_def(self)
	--local name = get_player_name()
	visual = default_model_def
	npc_anim = 0 -- Animation will be set further below immediately
	--npc_sneak[name] = false
	prop = {
		mesh = mummy_mesh,
		textures = mummy_texture,
		--visual_size = {x=1, y=1, z=1},
	}
	self.object:set_properties(prop)
end
The errors appear on all of the git versions of minetestserver that I have been using over the past few months.
I am running minetestserver for multiplayer on Ubuntu 16.04 Server, but had same errors before upgrading from 14.04 and re-cloning minetestserver from git.

I could make visual and prop local but I'm not sure if that would cause problems, and then I don't know how to get default_model_def anyway so that first error would remain.

On a possibly unrelated topic, the pyramids have no treasure in the chests nor for breaking the mummy spawner. . Do I have to create an item pool myself or anything?

xisd

by xisd » Post

I edited this mod a bit, mainly this add a configuration file to make a lot of things optional or easily configurable (traps, lava, mummy, spawner hidden or not, number and types of items in chest, probability of empty chest ...) and allow the use of a mob and spawner from an other mod ( I use mummies adapted from this mod into cme api )
Maybe it could present some interest.
Modified tsm_pyramids : https://github.com/xisd/tsm_pyramids
Modified cme modpack : https://github.com/xisd/cme

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

For some reason this mod didn't work (0.4.16) for me until I changed line 206 of init.lua to:

if minetest.get_modpath("tsm_pyramids") == nil then

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Huh? That's weird. That's not supposed to happen. :D
Did you enable both the old “pyramids” mod and the “tsm_pyramids” mod at the same time? You're not supposed to do that. Please only use one of these mods at a time. Otherwise weird things will happen.

If you didn't have the old pyramids mod, can you please post the list of all mods you have enabled on your world?

poikilos
GitHub: Poikilos
In-game: Poikilos

by poikilos » Post

Hello @Wuzzy, could you please change uses of global

nodeupdate(pos)
by making a separate case

if minetest.check_for_falling ~= nil then
	minetest.check_for_falling(pos)
else
	nodeupdate(pos)
end
to prevent the crash below?
Undeclared global variable "nodeupdate" accessed at ...share/minetest/games/ENLIVEN/mods/tsm_pyramids/nodes.lua:36
2018-02-20 16:51:13: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'tsm_pyramids' in callback node_on_timer(): ...share/minetest/games/ENLIVEN/mods/tsm_pyramids/nodes.lua:36: attempt to call global 'nodeupdate' (a nil value)
:edit: I updated this post and my repo to make the change backward-compatible by making a separate case.
This is a very common issue caused by the corresponding API change in 5.0.0-dev
:edit: Here is the commit on my fork which fixes the issue: https://github.com/poikilos/tsm_pyramid ... 71cad745ad

Wuzzy

Version 0.7 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.7 has been released! This is a major update!

Changelog:
  • Mod is now finally compatible with Minetest 5.0.0!
  • Fix bugs related to outdated function calls (such as “nodeupdate”)
  • Many different treasure rooms added, with random variants
  • Added desert sandstone pyramids
  • Added 3 deco blocks (desert sandstone variants)
  • Pyramids now generate in sandstone deserts as well
  • Various bugs with mummy fixed
  • Mummy suffocates in solid blocks
  • Improved behaviour of a couple of blocks
  • Added doc_items support
  • Switch to MIT License
  • Add a couple of new default treasures
  • Secret achievement added (for the “awards” mod)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Mod] Pyramids (with Treasurer support) [0.7] [tsm_pyram

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Nice mod! Does this also support MTG's treasure mod? Or is that only for dungeons?
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

No. The treasure mod of MTG is called “dungeon_loot” and it only supports dungeons.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

Yay! I love good pyramids dungeons! Thanks for those!

And a note to mod writers: do not hesitate to make pyramids big (and fill them with labyrinths!) In the screenshots of the presentation post, we see things that are the size of the smallest additional pyramids that would only be found around a much bigger structure. For reference here is how a few historical pyramids would look assuming 1 node = 1 meter

Djoser, an early and «small» monumental pyramids, is still more than 60 m:
Spoiler
Cheops, the biggest of the Egyptian pyramids, is simply a monster:
Spoiler
Seeing both together makes it clear that one should better think about these as landscape features rather than structures:
Spoiler

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Yvanhoe wrote: And a note to mod writers: do not hesitate to make pyramids big (and fill them with labyrinths!)
Generation time is probably the issue. Plus, the bigger the base the more difficult it is to place it; the terrain is not flat, and the "rock table" under the sand is not flat either. You don't want a pyramid half-hanging off a cliff or half carved in a mountain (although I reckon it could be fun if your universe "allows" it).

That said, on could consider making pyramid generation part of the mapgen, because it potentially could reuse the dungeon generation code to create the rooms inside. Or maybe fit a pyramid around the rooms that are floating in the air (there's a option to suppress them, so the algorithm is already able to detect them)?

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

No need to put it on a flat terrain, just bury it halfway into the desert. Make the base on the lowest point you find and don't care if 10 blocks are buried on one side, that's actually a cool look.

I think dungeon generation would work well. On my first try I hag generated the pyramids over a cavern and I think mapgen dug the cavern into the pyramid as the blocks were loading? I had some cavers in one. I guess carving a dungeon would work as well.

Wuzzy

Version 0.8!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.8 is here!
  • Added desert stone pyramids (only appear in areas with lots of exposed desert stone)
  • Higher chance for sandstone pyramids in v6 mapgen
  • Fix pyramids sometimes generating with zero treasure
  • Fix sound issues
  • Randomly rotate pyramids
  • Add 4 new interior designs
  • Various improvements of interior design
  • Prevent most overhanging pyramids
  • Keep pyramids away from cacti, trees and beaches
  • Fix pyramids sometimes being cutted in half
  • Many bugfixes for mob, improved spawning
  • Complete overhaul of default treasure selection
Please report any bugs! Thanks.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Mod] Pyramids (with Treasurer support) [0.8] [tsm_pyram

by texmex » Post

Nice work, Wuzzy.

Wuzzy

Version 1.0.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 1.0.0 has been released!
This is also a Content DB release! Woohoo!

And it took only almost 5 years! Haha. And this time is not even counting the dev time of BlockMen, the original author of the older pyramids mod.

There's only small changes, this version is basically the same as 0.8 as I didn't find any real bugs anymore. Yay!

Happy looting!
Spoiler
  • Support for CMI added
  • The spawn egg will respect the node's rightclick handling