[Mod] worldedge [worldedge]

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [Mod]worldedge

by ExeterDad » Post

ArguablySane wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:<snip>
I have a better solution. Gradually blend your perlin noise values with the values on the opposite side of the world for chunks near the edge. Choose a distance which is large compared to the features in your terrain gen, then gradually blend from one side to the other over that distance. Blocks exactly on the edge should be a 50-50 mix of the terrain from each side.
Basically make a tile of the pelin noise "image?"
Last edited by ExeterDad on Wed Dec 17, 2014 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

Can someone post a link to info on mapgen? The dev doesn't seem to have much and I wouldn't mind understanding a little bit of what you are talking about.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

ArguablySane wrote:
I have a better solution. Gradually blend your perlin noise values with the values on the opposite side of the world for chunks near the edge. Choose a distance which is large compared to the features in your terrain gen, then gradually blend from one side to the other over that distance. Blocks exactly on the edge should be a 50-50 mix of the terrain from each side.
For mgv6 this would need a change in the core mapgen, l think.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

ArguablySane

by ArguablySane » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
ArguablySane wrote:
Basically make a tile of the pelin noise "image?"
Essentially yes. The goal is to make the terrain periodic in x and z with period equal to the size of your walkable area. The walkable area of the map should tessellate without discontinuities.

I've made a quick diagram that might explain what I mean a bit better:

Don wrote:Can someone post a link to info on mapgen? The dev doesn't seem to have much and I wouldn't mind understanding a little bit of what you are talking about.
I might try and write up my own mapgen tutorial over the holidays, but for now I suggest looking at the example code on this wiki page: http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.get_perlin_map
It shows how to do basic terrain generation. Anything more complex is usually just a matter of adding more perlin noise functions and combining them in interesting ways.
Hybrid Dog wrote:For mgv6 this would need a change in the core mapgen, l think.
No, you can do it entirely in Lua. You do have to use the get_perlin_map function twice to get the perlin noise corresponding to opposite sides of the map, but the rest is just an averaging function weighted by your coordinates.
The above post and any ideas expressed therein are released to the public domain under a Creative Commons CC0 license.

Don

by Don » Post

Thanks. That helps. If you do a tutorial might I suggest that you talk to rubenwardy. He is writing a book.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10729
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Yes blending noises is what i had in mind for a lua version.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

I solved the terrain height using the VoxelManip.

https://github.com/DonBatman/worldedge/pull/2
It also will teleport the player with a 99% chance because they can not move while they're attached to something.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Krock wrote:... because they can not move while they're attached to something...
cross border minecart rails?
Last edited by twoelk on Thu Dec 18, 2014 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

or UFO, monorail or mesecar
Last edited by Hybrid Dog on Tue May 24, 2016 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:
twoelk wrote:
Krock wrote:... because they can not move while they're attached to something...
or UFO, monorail or mesecar
bah not as mind boggling as a self repeating minecart system - infinity here we come!

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

twoelk wrote:
No sorry, that doesn't work yet. The cart gets detached from the player when the other entity gets attached.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Don

by Don » Post

Krock wrote:I solved the terrain height using the VoxelManip.

https://github.com/DonBatman/worldedge/pull/2
It also will teleport the player with a 99% chance because they can not move while they're attached to something.
I merged it but I haven't tested it. Thanks again.

Don

by Don » Post

Nice work Krock. I just tested it and besides the slight delay it works great. I am going to update the first post now.

Don

by Don » Post

Is there a way to know if you are at ground level or underground? When you are mining and cross the 30000 mark you are teleported to the surface. That is fine when you are exploring the land but when mining it would be nice to keep going.

Krock
Developer

by Krock » Post

Don wrote:Is there a way to know if you are at ground level or underground? When you are mining and cross the 30000 mark you are teleported to the surface. That is fine when you are exploring the land but when mining it would be nice to keep going.
The chance for having a cave (or any other hole) in on the other word edge, is low.
It could be a soulation to dig a corridor, so the player could return to its previous place.

Don

by Don » Post

I understand the chances are low. I was just curious. If the code could do it so if you are above 0 then it works like you made it but below 0 you stay at same height.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

Don wrote:
AMMOnym wrote:Wow
Yes. Amaz is Amazing
Amaz-ing ☺
N/A

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

Don wrote:Is there a way to know if you are at ground level or underground? When you are mining and cross the 30000 mark you are teleported to the surface. That is fine when you are exploring the land but when mining it would be nice to keep going.
f5 will show your coordinates