[Mod] Levels [0.2.6] [levels]

by paramat » Post

Download https://github.com/paramat/levels/archive/master.zip
Code https://github.com/paramat/levels

For Minetest 0.4.11 stable or later
Depends default
Licenses: Code WTFPL

Use in a singlenode mapgen world.
A very simple demonstration of how to create multiple levels of floatlands (y = 512 and up), a surface realm, and a lava underworld (y = -512) by using a 3D noise mapgen with a carefully manipulated density gradient.
You may spawn underground so disable damage before starting a world, then enable freemove and switch 'noclip' if necessary to fly up or down to the 3 realms.

In my 'flexrealm' mod the density gradient 'grad' was varied in 3D space to create spherical and cubic planets, dyson spheres, dyson cubes, tubeworlds, inverted and vertical realms. So the potential of this mapgen method is huge, the method is essentially to always calculate a density for each node:

Density = 3DdensityNoise + densityGradient
Then place stone when density > 0.

Most of my mapgens including watershed and riverdev are of this form so they could have the possibilities of this mod and flexrealm with minimal editing.
Density gradient is actually a 3D density field, 'field' being a scientific term meaning every point in 3D space has a value. In this mod the density field is only varied with y so it's called a 'gradient', in flexrealm it varies in all 3 dimensions.

For a good explanation of 3D noise mapgen (such as mgv5), see the article that was my introduction to lua mapgen, written by guess who http://c55.me/random/2011-07/noisestuff/

Added lux ore in underworld.
Towers to the floatlands. Grass, sand. Overgeneration and stability table system.
Added dirt nodes and surface detection that places a single layer of grass nodes.
Bugfixes.

^ Development screenshot
Last edited by paramat on Mon Feb 16, 2015 00:23, edited 15 times in total.

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

Re: [Mod] Levels [0.1.0] [levels]

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

This Awesome! Nice Screenshot to.
You should definitely have an Rank called Mapgen Builder. Or something along lines of Mapgen.

Btw what Seed did you do for Picture above?
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] Levels [0.1.0] [levels]

by paramat » Post

The seed doesn't matter, it's always epic.
My rank is 'Mapgen tea boy'.

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

Re: [Mod] Levels [0.2.0] [levels]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Verrrrrrry nice.

Ironic how I was already working on an underground realm close to your screenshot to incorporate into CaveRealms... Although, mine is incredibly messy. :) Of course, I'm also attempting to work a miracle by having lighting all over without filling every air space with light and crashing the processor, which currently is succeeding at not filling everything, but failing to light all but the surface. As much as I'd like to jump on this to use for my realm, I'll keep tinkering with noise23 like I have been.

Keep up the cool stuff! Any plans on adding surface material, particularly in the underworld? Also, regarding your rank... very British. xD

(Also, 400th post!)
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

Re: [Mod] Levels [0.2.1] [levels]

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

paramat wrote:0.2.1
Added lux ore in underworld.
Hey Is there any chance lux ore spawn in my existing levels mapgen world?

Also Did you ever made an Ladyrinth Maze Mapgen before? Like random each time generated.

Anyway.. would you recommend this as a Survival Server? or not atm. Just wondering since thinking what the goal would be.

Edit: Congratulations for 400th post Hero.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] Levels [0.2.3] [levels]

by paramat » Post

It will but the terrain has changed (and will probably change again) so best start a new world.

Nope.

This mod will probably remain a very simple tutorial/example mod, it may not ever be 'playable' as a server, unless someone develops it.

0.2.3 released see first post for new screenshot.