[Mod] Sedimentology [sedimentology]

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [Mod] Sedimentology [sedimentology-mt]

by sofar » Post

luewind wrote:ya, I'm using 0.4.11 so I don't know if that is the issue.

That line is the one that is looking for the water level which I believe defaults to something like 0, so I don't know if its possible to use something like a try/catch block and have the catch default to zero?
Yes, I still need to fix that, it's actually rather easy to do...

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

sofar wrote:
luewind wrote:ya, I'm using 0.4.11 so I don't know if that is the issue.

That line is the one that is looking for the water level which I believe defaults to something like 0, so I don't know if its possible to use something like a try/catch block and have the catch default to zero?
Yes, I still need to fix that, it's actually rather easy to do...
Try with the master tarball, which hopefully fixes this for you:

https://github.com/sofar/sedimentology- ... master.zip

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Merged a fix that will make Sedimentology work again with newer builds - due to the "drawtype" api change. If you see a crash shortly after world startup, you'll want to update to the git HEAD.

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

I'm trying to develop a mod that will use moreblocks slopes to reduce some of the sharp edges on terrain types over time. Do you know of any mod that already does this (or is planning to add it, including yours)?

Also, I was thinking of using ABM's to handle a lot of the action, I notice you use iteration to call minetest.after repeatedly. Is this superior in any way (other than controlling player radius of affected blocks) and does it have stack issues if you are attempting to run a server over long periods of time?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Chiu ChunLing wrote:I'm trying to develop a mod that will use moreblocks slopes to reduce some of the sharp edges on terrain types over time. Do you know of any mod that already does this (or is planning to add it, including yours)?
I have no idea if this exists, and I have absolutely no desire to code something like this, at all.
Chiu ChunLing wrote:Also, I was thinking of using ABM's to handle a lot of the action, I notice you use iteration to call minetest.after repeatedly. Is this superior in any way (other than controlling player radius of affected blocks) and does it have stack issues if you are attempting to run a server over long periods of time?
The Geologic time scale is enormous - and for this very reason this mod works extremely slow. Because we also want to simulate an equal amount of erosion to the landscape, we can't rely on mechanisms that would disproportionally erode some segments of the landscape faster than others.

There are many builtin caveats to ABM's, and some of those would cause disproportionate erosion effects to the landscape and make really odd effects that are not desirable. ABM's also have range issues and only influence nodes really close to players by default, but even with tuning I'm not happy with the range of ABM's.

As for minetest.after's datastructures, I've rewritten it in the past and it's absolutely stack safe, and designed to specifically handle jobs that reschedule themselves.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

This is a great idea and an excellent mod, thanks a lot. My kids and me use this mod since 0.4.13 and we truly enjoy the effects. The changes to the environment are smoothly taking effect and the overall appearance is very appropriate.

Maybe you could extend some of the effects to new default nodes like e.g. default:cobble_microslab and alike?

Example: The microslab could take cracks (maybe difficult) or could just vanish (more easy) like cobble can degrade to gravel already.
In our LAN world we are building bridges with cobble/desert cobble and we use both cobble and cobble microslabs for streets and the latter as a cover for smooth cobble stairways for streets rising into the terrain. Naturally a microslab cannot change into gravel as this would produce an unwanted block node instead of a surface node.

Some of my kids love the need of regular repairs to our streets. Your mod adds positively to the game feeling.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

snoopy wrote:Maybe you could extend some of the effects to new default nodes like e.g. default:cobble_microslab and alike?
I've thought about this, and perhaps it's something that could be an addon that takes the effect of this mod a step further.

However, due to the complexities you already mentioned, I decided early on that I would make this mod only affect semi-natural (e.g. placed by mapgen) blocks in the world. This does indeed make for fun roads :)

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

Good to know about minetest after. The description on the wiki is less than perfectly clear about what happens when it is called, it says something just ambiguous enough that I didn't feel like messing with it in recursion.

I'm coding the slope-based erosion myself, I just wanted to be relatively sure I wasn't wasting my effort (because it IS a bit of an effort). For my part, I think that I want to work primarily with active blocks but I can definitely see advantages to doing some of the work "out of sight" of players. I think I'm also going to do something with on_dignode and on_breaknode to work some of the effects that I want happening more immediately (also needing to define some on_construct functions for some of the new falling nodes I'm adding to represent fallen bits of nodes, very tiresome and currently less than elegant trying to get the effect I'm wanting).

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Note: This mod has an invalid shortname. Dashes are not permitted. Only a-z and numbers and underscores IIRC.

Please fix this.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Note: This mod has an invalid shortname. Dashes are not permitted. Only a-z and numbers and underscores IIRC.

Please fix this.

You mean in the forum post title? The mod itself (github, tarball, etc.) all don't have any hyphens. I fixed the forum post title anyway - it didn't seem to break the mod finder and rubenwardy's mod app.

Germain

Re: [Mod] Sedimentology [sedimentology]

by Germain » Post

This mod works fine with Minetest 5.

I'm adding Pedology blocks now...
I will publish my works.

Pedology mod : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9429

j0j0n4th4n

Re: [Mod] Sedimentology [sedimentology]

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

I have a question, if there are floating islands on the world does that mean if I use this mod they will fall down due to erosion? What about airships or other floating buildings?
cdb_894a100ddd76