[Mod] HUD Bars [2.3.5] [hudbars]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] HUD bars [2.1.0] [hudbars]

by Wuzzy » Post

Sadly, I have absolutely no clue how to fix this. DPI is a client setting to which this mod has no access to.

Let's just say this mod only supports default DPI for now.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Yeah, its partly due to Minetest itself. I bought a XPS 7590 with a i9 and a OLED 4K screen recently and tried doing Minetest on it, but it was a nightmare to get everything setup with HiDPI. The screen was beautiful and OLED is a very promising display tech. But apart from that I didn't feel the 4K was worth it on a 15.6 screen. 200% scaling essentally made it a 1080p anyways. Although, apart from Minetest, GNOME scaling handled everything flawless. XFCE scaling still needs work, but I hear its been improved in XFCE 4.14.

I actually have decided to return to my Dell Latitude 7490 with a 1080P screen becasue it just works better overall with its support for free software and no NVIDIA driver combat is needed.

It was an educational waste of my time. I think I'll be sticking with a standard FHD screen for the foreseeable future still. I hate dealing with broken things and fighting my computer to get basic stuff working. I've become more conservative with adopting new hardware because of this.

For Minetest, there were settings in the advanced menus to adjust that made it more useable but there are so many and it not all of them worked very easily.

That said, I have seen hudbars progress bars look really weird on Andoird 1080P screens where the text was normal but the bars scaled really small. Once again this is due to the font size and the scaling of the UI by the MT engine I believe. I ended up switching to the modern statbar version instead to make my bars as cross platform as possible.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Stronk

by Stronk » Post

I'm trying to edit the .conf file to make the bars a little bit higher than they are. I would also like to make them longer, horizontally, if possible. Can someone tell me which option is that in the file?

For the first question, reading through the explanation... I'm guessing it's this.
For life,
hudbars_pos_left_y (Left HUD bar screen y position) float 1.0 0.0 1.0
For breath
hudbars_pos_right_y (Right HUD bar screen y position) float 1.0 0.0 1.0

For the second question, I have no idea.

Edit: I really wish people would respond, no matter how inane or simple the question is. Since it would allow people to search up the results and not ask the question again by populating the forums and search results. It's just a simple sentence too.

I believe the answer lies in the settings of minetest. Go to the settings>all setiings>mods>hudbars and everything is there if you want to customize them easily.
Last edited by Stronk on Mon Oct 14, 2019 17:45, edited 2 times in total.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I actually have decided to return to my Dell Latitude 7490 with a 1080P screen becasue it just works better overall with its support for free software and no NVIDIA driver combat is needed.

It was an educational waste of my time. I think I'll be sticking with a standard FHD screen for the foreseeable future still. I hate dealing with broken things and fighting my computer to get basic stuff working. I've become more conservative with adopting new hardware because of this.
Sad but true regarding support for new hardware.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

For the first question, reading through the explaination... I'm guessing it's this.
Correct.
For the second question, I have no idea.
It's impossible in the current version.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

texmex wrote: Sad but true regarding support for new hardware.
I actually have given it a few more chances, as I haven't resold it yet. I found the scaling seems to work quite well if no external monitors are attached. I use the hudbars mod and the hudbars scaled fine using modern statbar mode.

MInetest seems to automatically adjust for high DPI if the 4K display is the only display. Otherwise, I was able to adjust the DPI a bit by using a few manual adjustments: Menu font size from 16 to 32, Monospace font size from 16 to 32, and GUI Menu scaling by 2.0 or so. Those were the 3 items I found to help.

However, once I detached from my docking station with a FHD external monitor, rebooted the laptop, I found Minetest was scaling upwards on its own and I had to undo the changes I had made manually because everything was huge.

Still not sold on using the XPS15 though. Its a nice system, but the NVIDIA aspect of is just a pain in the butt that I'm not sure I want to deal with and 4K just slaughters battery life. The Latitude 7490 cpu is more power optimized and just as nice aside from the OLED screen. I'm realizing how much CPU benchmarks are useless and more of a marketing tool. Most workflows simply benefit from burst/turb-boost performance and even low end CPU's with good turbo frequencies are adequate for most tasks. I find the 15-25W Quad Core CPU just as useful as the 45W Octa core CPU for my workflow.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I was able to adjust the DPI a bit by using a few manual adjustments: Menu font size from 16 to 32, Monospace font size from 16 to 32, and GUI Menu scaling by 2.0 or so. Those were the 3 items I found to help.
Conclusion: Minetest is horrible at scaling and the scaling mechanism is utterly broken. I guess it's not Minetest's fault but an Irrlicht issue. Since Irrlicht is dead since a few years they never added any code that deals with high DPI displays.
FreeGamers wrote:Still not sold on using the XPS15 though. Its a nice system, but the NVIDIA aspect of is just a pain in the butt that I'm not sure I want to deal with and 4K just slaughters battery life.
I own an XPS 7390 ("XPS 13") and it is great for mobility. Rumors say the 7390 has 4 hours better battery time than the 7590 because of the full HD display instead of a 4K display.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: Conclusion: Minetest is horrible at scaling and the scaling mechanism is utterly broken. I guess it's not Minetest's fault but an Irrlicht issue. Since Irrlicht is dead since a few years they never added any code that deals with high DPI displays.

I own an XPS 7390 ("XPS 13") and it is great for mobility. Rumors say the 7390 has 4 hours better battery time than the 7590 because of the full HD display instead of a 4K display.
I believe it, I get almost double the battery life on my Latitude than I do on the XPS15... The CPU's that are used in the XPS13 series are Intel's ultra low power chips, which are tuned to be more energy efficient but can not sustain higher clock rates as long, but this can vary highly depending on BIOS firmware from mfg's and cooling solutions used. The bursty performance is not an issue unless you're doing rendering work or long sustained workloads which most people just don't do.The XPS13 probably has flawless Linux support. In fact, I know Dell even sells it with Ubuntu.

I liked the revisions Dell made to the XPS13 2-in-1. Intel added a nice iGPU with x2 the performance of the UHD-series and the 2-in-1 has a nice 16:10 screen. But I have no use for a 2-in-1 or touchscreen though and the 13" form factor hurts my neck and eyes without proper scaling or a docking station. FHD on the 13" is HiDPI, do you use scaling for it? I have a 14" Latitude and my eyes can sometimes strain on that at FHD. The XPS15 is probably overkill for what I do with my computer.

I just fired up Minetest a few minutes ago and the scaling was working fine, but it just doesn't seem to detect the hidpi in other situations which I haven't noticed yet. That's too bad about Irrlicht. I don't really understand the dependency Minetest has on it, hopefully it doesn't affect the long-term success of the MT and its community though.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

I would't count 170 DPI as HiDPI display ... But when testing it I did not use any scaling options from Minetest configuration and just ran with default settings. It was okay. I use the device as mobile computing platform and not for gaming anyways.

Clatch

by Clatch » Post

I'm running HUD bars on the Android port of Minetest and I received the following errors.

Code: Select all

Irrlicht: Invalid size of image for OpenGL ES1
Irrlicht: No image for OpenGL ES1 texture to upload
I imagine that not all of these mods are built for mobile deployment, but I did notice that even in a 1:1 ratio UI the bars are all overlapping each other in the center bottom of the screen. Are there manual coordinates being used by anyone?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I think the best solution in the long-term would be to add support for progress bars in Minetest itself, making this mod (mostly) obsolete.
That way, all the blame will then go to Minetest and not to me. :D

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Sadly, I have absolutely no clue how to fix this. DPI is a client setting to which this mod has no access to.

I definitely wish there was a way to detect the client's screen DPI setting since that can dramatically effect not only the HUD layout, but formspec layouts as well. A new API function would be ideal.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Sadly, I have absolutely no clue how to fix this. DPI is a client setting to which this mod has no access to.

I definitely wish there was a way to detect the client's screen DPI setting since that can dramatically effect not only the HUD layout, but formspec layouts as well. A new API function would be ideal.
Maybe some screen-related information as an extension to minetest.get_player_information?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I definitely wish there was a way to detect the client's screen DPI setting since that can dramatically effect not only the HUD layout, but formspec layouts as well. A new API function would be ideal.
I definitely wish that Minetest would properly autoscale basing on DPI.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Let me just check my health bar really quick...

Clatch

by Clatch » Post

I do have to say though, it's nice to have the options to manually put those bars where we want them. You can fandangle the coordinates to work on whatever device you're using.

Winter94
In-game: Azrael Winter WintersKnight

by Winter94 » Post

Is there any way to make this compatible with the itemwheel from Blockmens BetterHud? I really like the itemwheel, but this mod is very easy to use , and looks much better.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Mod] HUD bars [2.2.0] [hudbars]

by Lone_Wolf » Post

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'player' in callback on_newplayer(): ...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:322: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:322: in function 'change_hudbar'
	...../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/player/inventory.lua:32: in function 'player_set_max_hp'
	...../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/player/inventory.lua:5: in function <...../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/player/inventory.lua:4>
	/home/lone_wolf/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </home/lone_wolf/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:413>
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] HUD bars [2.2.1] [hudbars]

by Wuzzy » Post

I suspect this happens because your tries to change the hudbar before the HUD Bars mod was able to initialize it. Do you use minetest.register_on_joinplayer? That might explain it, and the bug is basically a race condition.

Anyway, in version 2.2.1, that I have just released, I have added an additional nil check and hb.change_hudbar should return false in this case …

I believe you need to change your own code as well.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I suspect this happens because your tries to change the hudbar before the HUD Bars mod was able to initialize it. Do you use minetest.register_on_joinplayer? That might explain it, and the bug is basically a race condition.

Anyway, in version 2.2.1, that I have just released, I have added an additional nil check and hb.change_hudbar should return false in this case …

I believe you need to change your own code as well.
Oh, that'll explain it. Thanks!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Looks like you broke some code with your fix this time, this happens even without my player_set_max_hp() function being called

AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'hudbars' in callback environment_Step(): ...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:318: attempt to index global 'hudtable' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:318: in function 'change_hudbar'
	...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:507: in function 'update_health'
	...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:528: in function 'update_hud'
	...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:567: in function <...bin/../games/voxel_knights/mods/players/hudbars/init.lua:558>
	/home/lone_wolf/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </home/lone_wolf/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:413>
stack traceback:

Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] HUD bars [2.2.2] [hudbars]

by Wuzzy » Post

I hope I really fixed it this time! xD

Version 2.2.2

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I hope I really fixed it this time! xD

Version 2.2.2
Fixed, now I'd just like to know how to change the size/position

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You change the position with settings (See “All Settings”).
The size cannot be changed (sorry).

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Wuzzy wrote:You change the position with settings (See “All Settings”).
The size cannot be changed (sorry).
Guess I'll look into making a PR if it bugs me enough lol