[Mod] Wrench - node rotation tool [1.2] [rotate]

Argos

[Mod] Wrench - node rotation tool [1.2] [rotate]

by Argos » Post

Wrench (rotate:wrench)
Screwdriver replacement / improvement

As I was unhappy with the intuitiveness and ease of use of the screwdriver for rotating nodes,
I created an alternative tool: the wrench. (not to be confused with the technic wrench,
which looks totally different, and serves a different purpose)

It comes in a wooden, steel, copper and gold version. The wooden version is disabled by default.

Quick links: Manual, Download zip, Github repository, Changelog

News

12 Mar 2015: version 1.2:
  • Add optional ability to restrict wrench usage using a privilege.
  • Improvements to the manual
Features
  • Rotate a node 90° in any direction
  • Rotate a node to an absolute world orientation (north/south/east/west)
  • Rotate a node to an orientation relative to the player
  • Optionally, restrict usage using a privilege
  • API to create wrenches of other materials
Crafting

Example for the copper wrench:

The steel and gold wrenches use steel and gold ingots instead. The wooden wrench
(if enabled) uses sticks.

Usage

The wrench has three major modes:
  • Rotating mode
  • Relative positioning mode
  • Absolute positioning mode
Rotating wrench:
  1. Craft a wrench (see above). Initially, it will be a rotating wrench, and its rotation
    direction will not be set
  2. Right-click any node. The rotation direction will cycle: clockwise, counter-clockwise, etc.
  3. Punch a node, and it will rotate according to the current rotation direction
Relative positioning wrench:
  1. Start with a rotating wrench (previously used, or not)
  2. Place it in the craft grid, and craft it to a relative positioning wrench
  3. Right-click any node to configure the wrench to that node's relative orientation
  4. Punch a node. It will now be oriented exactly as the original, with respect to the
    punched side (and player position if needed).
Example: right-click a chest on its front side. Then punch any other chest on any side,
and that is where the front side will be.

Absolute positioning wrench:
  1. Start with a relative positioning wrench (previously used, or not)
  2. Place it in the craft grid, and craft it to an absolute positioning wrench
  3. Right-click any node to configure the wrench to that node's absolute orientation
  4. Punch a node. It will now be oriented exactly as the original, with respect to the
    world.
Example: right-click a chest on any side. Say its front side was oriented east.
Then punch any other chest on any side. Now, that chest's front side will also be
towards the east.

To complete the crafting circle, an absolute positioning wrench can be crafted back to a
rotating wrench.

Screenshot

Other features

- API for other mods to define their own wrenches.

Details and downloading

More information (manual)

Changelog

Download zip (latest)
Download v1.2
Download v1.1
Download v1.0

After unzipping, rename the directory to 'rotate' and place it in your mods folder.

Github repository

License: LGPLv2.1 (images: CC BY-SA 3.0)

Dependencies: default (optional; if you can do without the crafting recipe)
Attachments
wrench_copper_crafting.png
wrench_copper_crafting.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (962.04 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
wrench_copper.png
wrench_copper.png (565 Bytes) Viewed 1523 times
Last edited by Argos on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:55, edited 6 times in total.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Rotating wrench [1.0] [rotate]

by Wuzzy » Post

Could you make the dependency on default optional, please? I guess this dependency is only there because of the crafting recipes.
Also, please don't say stuff like “None (except for default)”. “default” is a hard dependency, also it assumes that you have minetest_game (or a compatible subgame) installed, but not all subgames might have this mod. So this mod will not work in standalone subgames which are completely different from minetest_game.

With the code below you can check whether default is present and you can make the dependency on default optional:

Code: Select all

if minetest.get_modpath("default") ~= nil then
--[[ insert code which depends on default here, i.e. the crafting recipes ]]
else
--[[ insert alternative code here, when default is not present. This can be empty. ]]
end

Argos

by Argos » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Could you make the dependency on default optional, please?
OK. Done.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This mod does not work in Minetest 0.4.11 for me.

I tested it once in Minetest the subgame and Empty. I got the same error both times.
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua:
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua:279: attempt to index global 'bit' (a nil value)
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua:279: in function 'compute_wrench_orientation_codes'
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua:853: in main chunk
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
22:45:07: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua
22:45:08: ERROR[main]: ModError: ModError: Failed to load and run /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua

Argos

by Argos » Post

Wuzzy wrote: 22:45:07: ERROR[main]: /home/wuzzy/.minetest/mods/rotate/init.lua:279: attempt to index global 'bit' (a nil value)
I'm not quite sure yet, but from my investigation so far, I suspect that you may be using lua 5.1.
The bitwise operations I am using are (apparently) in 5.2, but not in 5.1 and earlier...

Could you confirm you are using lua 5.1 ?

In any case, I'll fix the bitwise operations issue.

Regards,

-- Update: I fixed the issue with the bitwise operators.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I have Lua 5.2 installed on my system, but Minetest comes bundled with Lua 5.1 and so my Minetest uses Lua 5.1.
You can confirm for yourself which Lua version your Minetest uses by installing the luacmd mod and issuing the server command “/lua print(_VERSION)”. For me, it showed me “5.1”.

As far I know, this is intended by the developers; they want to stick to one Lua version to avoid confusion with mods. Maybe MAYBE Minetest will use Lua 5.2 in the future but I am not sure about that.

Therefore, you should currently only program in Lua 5.1. Lua 5.1 has bit32 instead, by the way.

Edit: OK, thanks. The mod now works correctly for me.

Argos

by Argos » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I have Lua 5.2 installed on my system, but Minetest comes bundled with Lua 5.1 and so my Minetest uses Lua 5.1.
You can confirm for yourself which Lua version your Minetest uses by installing the luacmd mod and issuing the server command “/lua print(_VERSION)”. For me, it showed me “5.1”.
I wasn't aware of that...

From my CMakeCache.txt, it seems that my version uses lua 5.1 indeed - more specifically libluajit-5.1. Nevertheless, it *does* work for me... Probably it's luajit that provides bit.xxx() - or at the very least my version does.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback !

And good to hear it works.

Argos

Re: [Mod] Wrench - node rotation tool [1.2] [rotate]

by Argos » Post

I pushed a new version (v1.2), with support for restricting the usage using a privilege (optional - not enabled by default)
My mods & tools:
My fork of Minetestmapper - much improved - features, manual, Windows downloads
[MOD] Wrench (rotate:wrench) - improved screwdriver alternative - manual, download

Singularis
GitHub: singularis-mzf

Re: [Mod] Wrench - node rotation tool [1.2] [rotate]

by Singularis » Post

I like this mod, but for me it is more intuitive when the pointed side does no matter. In my opinion it should be replaced by the side nearest to the player.

Attempts to deduce the pointed side make the behaviour very counter-intuitive for nodes with wierd shapes (like those from Technic CNC or More Blocks), multi-block nodes like doors and possibly nodes with large visual scale value (which I did not test). Problems with inuitivness may also arise with nodes with selection box that is significantly different than the visible content of the node (like some chairs in Home Decor).