[Mod] Abjphabet [abjphabet]

I haven't been able to think up of good recipes. Should I...........

-Make these nodes into uncraftable minables
18%
-Go on and think up craft recipes anyway
82%

Total votes: 17

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

[Mod] Abjphabet [abjphabet]

by ABJ » Post

Hello all,
This is my first mod ever that I plan to release and I'm only 2 days into modding. But now I know how to make textured nodes myself (Thanks rubenwardy and your website)
Now, what I am planning to make is a bunch of nodes that have the letters of the alphabet, numbers from 0 to 9, and various symbols used in messages written on them. As for what this is used for, this can be used to give your friends BIG TIME messages without using boring chat. Funny stuff like that :D. This is only scribbleware so not optimized for place names (though you can use them for that too but there are waaaaay better mods than my noobtest for that E|:-) )

Licence: WTFPL

Dependencies: None

Here's a screenshot of the current progress as of 6th April 2015

UPDATE!!! SAME DAY...........

UPDATE: 7th April 2015: Finished implementing numbers. Added updated download.

[/b]And here's the download[/b] with the alphabet nodes done, but no crafting recipes yet, as I can't think of good ones yet. PLEASE could anybody suggest some recipes? :))))

MAJOR UPDATE!!!!! [8th April 2015]: Total and complete code overhaul, thanks to 12Me21. Added a letter machine (Thanks to 12Me21). Letter blocks are no longer existant in the creative inventory. You have to create them using the letter machine, as demonstrated below.

Letter Machine: I haven't yet added a texture yet but it works

Put paper in machine: And type the letter/number that you want. Numbers only range from 0 to 9. NOTE: Symbols do not work yet as they have not been implemented yet.

Make block: Press the "Paper --> Letter" button and then take your block from the output.

NOTE: There is no inventory description for the crafted blocks, due to an unknown bug. I have checked the code, and although the code in THIS version was not written by me, and the meanings are beyond me, I can tell for sure that 12Me21 intended to put in invdescriptions.

And, again, thank you 12Me21 for the code :)))) you have helped a lot!

Feel free to give feature ideas especially as this is a WIP mod.
And as this is my first mod and first shot at modding ever, any constructive criticsm is welcome. (That means no "wut r tdos tings dey luk lik d**ks" or "Luuuuuk at da baby tryin to mod! noooooooob" type of posts :)
Last edited by ABJ on Wed Dec 23, 2020 00:28, edited 7 times in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [WIP][Mod]Abjphabet[abjphabet]

by Sokomine » Post

Maybe you ought to try a font that's a bit clearer and sticks more to lines than handwritten letters. A very simple font style might be best.
A list of my mods can be found here.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I'm guessing those textures are just temporary,

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

If I can figure out how to write with GIMP, yes they are temporary. :)

mahmutelmas06
GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Post

ABJ wrote:If I can figure out how to write with GIMP, yes they are temporary. :)
There is a textbox for this function in gimp or any image editor you dont have write with brush :-D
My Mods:

Beverage

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I know I just can't figure it out how to use that beastly thing so I used MS P instead

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Can a moderator please move this topic to released?

riff
IRC: riff
In-game: riff

by riff » Post

ABJ wrote:Can a moderator please move this topic to released?
I think there is a topic for requests
I used to be registered as nextmissinglink but I kinda want to start fresh.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I would recommend using 16x16 textures, because that would fit in with the rest of the textures in the game.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Well done!

You've taken the first step to becoming a master modder. Don't be afraid to ask for help (in a non pestering way, and when you've tried to solve the problem yourself). The best resource in learning to mod is the community: looking at the existing mods, reading forum posts and asking.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Well done!

You've taken the first step to becoming a master modder. Don't be afraid to ask for help (in a non pestering way, and when you've tried to solve the problem yourself). The best resource in learning to mod is the community: looking at the existing mods, reading forum posts and asking.

And about the 16x16 thingy........
I don't think such a low resolution would look good with these letters, and that along with the fact that I don't know how to.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

ABJ wrote:

I don't think such a low resolution would look good with these letters, and that along with the fact that I don't know how to.
THIS... is about the coolest post I've seen in a long time. This is community.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

ExeterDad wrote:
ABJ wrote:

I don't know...
Last edited by 12Me21 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

ExeterDad wrote:THIS... is about the coolest post I've seen in a long time. This is community.

BTW 12Me21 why are you so upset?

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

12Me21 wrote:
ExeterDad wrote:
...lotsofsnip...
I feel the exact opposite...
the hottest post?

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Mod] Abjphabet [abjphabet]

by maikerumine » Post

This is a great mod! I would like better for blocky letters and maybe colour option but adding colour would increase texture amount which add lag.

The immediate downside to mod if used on server is for unpleasant language and attacks.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

maikerumine wrote:This is a great mod! I would like better for blocky letters and maybe colour option but adding colour would increase texture amount which add lag.

The immediate downside to mod if used on server is for unpleasant language and attacks.
-How do I decrease texture resolution?
-I was planning to add colors both to the letters and colors and also maybe glowing nodes in the future.
-That tho..............well I could always make this a precious minable......should I do so? (General Question)

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

twoelk wrote:the hottest post?
What do you mean?

EDIT: LOL..........Now I get it hahahaha
But wouldn't the WARMEST post be more appropriate?

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

ABJ wrote: But wouldn't the WARMEST post be more appropriate?
but not as funny ;-P

btw ... regarding this
ABJ wrote:I haven't been able to think up of good recipes. Should I...........
and this
ABJ wrote:... and also maybe glowing nodes in the future
you may want to study how others solved this
Last edited by twoelk on Wed Apr 08, 2015 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

ABJ wrote:-How do I decrease texture resolution?
I can make some 16x16 textures, and then there can be an option to either have the high-res textures or my 16x16 ones.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

ABJ wrote:I haven't been able to think up of good recipes.
Some other mods have used braille, but doesn't seem like a good idea, since you still need to look at a chart to see how to craft stuff.
Maybe make a machine where you type in the letter/number/symbol that you want, and it makes it (though that is kind of complicated to do)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

As far as receipes go: Why not stick to one craftable block which is empty and can be set to a text after it has been placed? The block could take further plain blocks out of the player's inventory and place them to the right of the current block according to what the player typed.
A list of my mods can be found here.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

twoelk wrote:
ABJ wrote: But wouldn't the WARMEST post be more appropriate?
but not as funny ;-P

btw ... regarding this
ABJ wrote:I haven't been able to think up of good recipes. Should I...........
and this
ABJ wrote:... and also maybe glowing nodes in the future
you may want to study how others solved this
I'll look it up and see what I need to do.
Sokomine wrote:As far as receipes go: Why not stick to one craftable block which is empty and can be set to a text after it has been placed? The block could take further plain blocks out of the player's inventory and place them to the right of the current block according to what the player typed.
I also thought of that, but the coding for the machine was what destroyed me. If I manage to learn the codings, YES that is a good idea
12Me21 wrote:
ABJ wrote:-How do I decrease texture resolution?
I can make some 16x16 textures, and then there can be an option to either have the high-res textures or my 16x16 ones.
Very much thank you if you will :)))))))))))) P.S. Do you mean like two downloads?

By the way, I have a question. When I copy-paste code and edit it to fit my needs, it works perfectly and displays the node. But when I write by hand the SAME code, it comes up with some ridiculous error. I tried using notepad++ but still this persists. From what I've so far discovered, ALL the spaces in the init.lua's seem to be special characters of their own, which I can't write. How do I solve this?

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

As for the Braille, I could have mod documentation on that, or, even better, actually make a "Braille guide" that could be stuck to walls like the signs and right clicked to view the craft charts. And/Or I could make a plugin for inventory plus mod that adds a Braille guide to the inventory.

But in the end, it all boils down to how much lua I know.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

The minetest community usually uses tabs for indentation, but that doesn't actually matter.

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader