[Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

[Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

by sofar » Post

Crops mod.

Keywords: Farming, Food, Crops, Cooking

A set of farm crops meant to extend the default game.

Design considerations are specific, and intentionally different from some other crop mods:
  • No HD textures or ultra realism, textures are 16x16 and look good in the default texture set
  • Supplement gameplay. A variety of crops helps gameplay. The default wheat-only edible farm crop is not enough
  • Not be "free food". Farming is hard work, repetitive actions are needed to keep crops up
  • Crops are all unique, and have their own quirks and properties, like growing differently, or be harvestable multiple times, or wilt when spent.
  • No extensive 3D models, minimal surfaces/meshes only.
I've looked at other mods that introduce crops like this, but none seem to provide the balance, detail and implementation that I want, so they are IMHO not fit to be "default" minetest_game mods. E.g. jkfarming's melon growth model is weird, and it has HD textures by default. I'm also not a fan of the berry bush models myself.

Configuration

A default configuration file, "crops_settings.txt" will be added to your world folder that contains suggested "easy", "normal" (the default) and "difficult" settings for this mod. You can currently tune the ABM interval/chance, and required light level for plant growth.

Mapgen

Some of the plants can be found in the default game through mapgen or other. Melon and Pumpkin plants are rare, but you can find them if you look in the right places. Potatoes can be obtained by digging dirt, once in a while you will find a potato. Other plants are not obtainable naturally in non-creative mode yet. I'm open to ideas.

Hydration

Except for the "easy" difficulty, where watering and hydration is disabled, plants need water. Plants need more water when they grow. This mod implements mechanics of plant hydration and what happens when you over-water or not water your plants properly: Plants may wither or soak, and if they wither/soak too much, the plant will get damaged.

You can see that plants are under stress visually. When a plant withers, there will be particles that are steam/smoke-like floating upwards from the plant. When a plant is over-watered, water bubbles can be seen at the plant base. These are implemented as particles.

In the default difficulty settings, plants don't accrue enough damage to kill the plant. But at difficult settings, withering will end up resulting in plant death, or the loss of crop entirely. At default settings, plants will yield significantly less harvest if not taken care of! So if you do decide to not water your plants, make sure you don't let them sit around for days and harvest them as soon as they are ripe to limit the effects.

Environment factors can influence hydration: nearby water, night time moisture. And of course, the watering can. The watering can holds 20 watering charges, and it takes 3-4 charges to water a plant from completely dry to maximum wetness. Some plants will want more water, some will do better with less, so make sure you use a hydrometer to measure plant humidity. Recipes for the watering can and hydrometer are listed below.

Melons, and Pumpkins:

Melon seeds can be planted and grow to a mature melon plant. After flowering, a melon is grown adjacent to the melon plant. Harvesting the melon allows the plant to grow another flower, and thus melon. Digging the melon yields melon slices. From the slices, you can again get melon seeds, as expected.

Pumpkins are similar, but digging them yields a pumpkin block. Roast it or get a seed from that. Unfortunately, the pumpkin plant doesn't last forever, so save some seeds to replant next year.

Corn:

Corn is a 2-block high plant. There is a new 3d model/mesh for corn plants. Corn can be planted (a single corn kernel is a seed). The plant has several growth stages, one of which yields corn cobs. Corn cobs can be crafted to corn again, or cooked to corn-on-the-cob. After harvesting, a "wilted corn bush" remains that needs to be removed, just like in real corn fields.

Tomatoes:

Tomatoes can be processed to seeds, aren't very nutritious by themselves. The seeds grow to a mature plant that on harvesting yield only one or two tomatoes at a time, but can be harvested several times. After several harvests the tomato plant is spent and wilts, and needs to be removed so that a new tomato seed can be planted.

Potatoes:

The potato plants themselves don't drop anything. Only if the plant matures can you dig potatoes from the soil. If you can reach the soil from the side you can save yourself one dig by digging the soil as that will remove the plant from the top, but otherwise you need to dig twice: once to remove the plant, once to dig out the potatoes.

You get 3-5 potatoes. Each potato gives one (set of) "potato eyes" which are the clones that can grow back to potatoes. Be careful not to dig the plant when there's flowers! You have to wait until the soil below shows potatoes. It's fairly easy to see the difference, though.

Green Beans.

These green beans are unnaturally green, but there's so many of them that grow on a vine! Sadly, these beans don't grow beans unsupported, so you stick some sticks together to make a beanpole, something like this way:

Code: Select all

empty empty empty
stick empty stick
stick empty stick
There, that should help the viney bean plant to grow to 2 meters high. It has remarkable purple flowers, that pop all over the plant just before the beans grow.

Sadly, once the beans are picked, this plant turns into an unusable mess that makes it hard for the next plant to grow on the beanpole, so you salvage the beanpole's sticks after harvesting in order to make more beanpoles again. It's a bit of work, but worth it, these beans are delicious!

Cooking / Crafting

The corn cobs can be cooked directly to make Corn-on-the-Cob.

This mod includes a bowl recipe. The bowl is made from clay lumps, which results in an unbaked clay bowl that needs to be baked in an oven to be usable:

empty     empty     empty
clay_lump empty     clay_lump
empty     clay_lump empty
You can fill these bowls (or any group:food_bowl) with vegetables to craft an uncooked vegetable stew:

empty       empty     empty
grean_beans potato    tomato
empty       clay_bowl empty
The uncooked vegetable stew obviously needs to be cooked as well in an oven. The resulting Vegetable Stew bowl gives a lot of hears back, which is worth the effort.

The watering can can be made as follows:

steel_ingot empty       empty
steel_ingot empty       steel_ingot
empty       steel_ingot empty
To fill the watering can, left click any block of water. To use, left click a plant. The damage bar on the icon indicates the fill level of the watering can.

The hydrometer can be crafted like this:

mese_crystal_fragment empty         empty
empty                 steel_ingot   empty
empty                 empty         steel_ingot
Left-click any plant with the hydrometer, and the charge bar indicates the humidity level of the plant: a dry plant will have 0% humidity and be a small red bar or no bar at all, and a soaked plant will have a full green bar. Be careful though! Some plants prefer to be at mid-level (yellow) instead of full wetness!

Spoiler
Melons:
Corn:
Tomatoes:
Potatoes:
Green Beans on beanpoles:
Plants soaking:
Plants withering:
Get it from here for now:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/crops

Download the current version from git as zip file from here:

https://github.com/minetest-mods/crops/ ... master.zip

Dependencies: none

License:
all code: LGPL-2.0+
all artwork: CC-BY-SA-3.0

Cheers! Please test and feedback!

======================================
Check out my mods:
Last edited by sofar on Fri Mar 25, 2016 01:00, edited 34 times in total.

est31
Developer

Re: [WIP][MOD] Crops

by est31 » Post

I like how this mod solves the seed problem. With minetest_game's seed model, you get far too much seeds as output, and TenPlus1's farming mod's principle "everything is a seed" isn't good either.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

est31 wrote:I like how this mod solves the seed problem. With minetest_game's seed model, you get far too much seeds as output, and TenPlus1's farming mod's principle "everything is a seed" isn't good either.
Thanks, this was indeed non-trivial and I think it works well the way I implemented it. JK farming also got this wrong. It's little details like that that feel clumsy to me in lots of other mods that I really don't want to perpetuate.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

est31: if you think about it the planting model for Farming Redo is more natural, using the actual food to regrow plants like it would do when the fruit/veg dropped in nature...

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

and one fruit can produce many seeds.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I kinda like the idea of sacrificing 1 food item to grow more... works well on Xanadu and believe me, most players have shops selling an abundance of food :)

TG-MyinaWD
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

Nicely done :)
Spoiler
I mange to add my own crop to it.

So hello to corn!

I was thinking have the plant more higher. like have it 2x high. but idk how do that with plantlike atm. but so far it looks good. I plan add more stuff to it later.

So far it looks great in it own way.
I might make changes for the corn seed later. and all. Plus I might add Steamed Corn and Corn Bread ;)
Last edited by TG-MyinaWD on Sat Apr 11, 2015 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It's good to have more plants out there and more that can be grown on farms. Guess I'll eventually have to update my mods and teach the farmers to grow other things than those from farming and farming_plus...
A list of my mods can be found here.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Alt. Tester wrote:Nicely done :)
I mange to add my own crop to it.

So hello to corn!
Thanks for adding your crop - it was my intent that this was easy and simple, obviously that turned out to be the case :)

I'm working on making 2-block high corn, with some twists. Your initial code is pretty similar - I might reuse some of it. Your textures are a great start as well.

I've also created a custom 3d mesh model, so it will look a lot better - give me a few days to tweak and push it.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

ExeterDad wrote:and one fruit can produce many seeds.
yes, that's indeed an issue. One melon block gives 3-5 slices, each slice gives a melon seed. For this reason I'm strongly thinking about making seeds having an initial "fail" chance that is 50-66% or so, which is not only realistic, it also requires better planning.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

prototype 2-node high corn in it's various growth stages: seedling, plant, 2-high plant, tassels, cobs and final (wilted) phase after harvesting.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

May you call the melon "red_watermelon" instead of just "melon" because a lot sorts of melons exist.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote:May you call the melon "red_watermelon" instead of just "melon" because a lot sorts of melons exist.
Not inclined to do so.

If I was designing extra-extra-custom-flavor-plus-plus (you get the idea) crops then I would do so. But I'm designing a very basic set of farm crops.

There's no problem with other crop/farming modules, since you can have several melon mods with identical node names concurrently on the same server.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

sofar wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:May you call the melon "red_watermelon" instead of just "melon" because a lot sorts of melons exist.
Not inclined to do so.

If I was designing extra-extra-custom-flavor-plus-plus (you get the idea) crops then I would do so. But I'm designing a very basic set of farm crops.

There's no problem with other crop/farming modules, since you can have several melon mods with identical node names concurrently on the same server.
If I understand Hybrid Dog correctly, he wasn't trying to get a custom flavor name. But a more descriptive name for the Watermelon you created. Plain melon could be anything. Musk melon, honey dew melon, and tons of others. If you simply called your watermelon a melon, it's too generic.
I have to agree that Hybrid Dogs request is practical.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

ExeterDad wrote:If I understand Hybrid Dog correctly, he wasn't trying to get a custom flavor name. But a more descriptive name for the Watermelon you created. Plain melon could be anything. Musk melon, honey dew melon, and tons of others. If you simply called your watermelon a melon, it's too generic.
I have to agree that Hybrid Dogs request is practical.
Well, "Watermelon" is certainly a lot more preferable than "red_watermelon". I'm not entirely convinced this is needed, at this point, but I'll keep it in mind.

Again, keep in mind that I intend to make basic, basic crops. I won't add Cantaloupes any time soon.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Corn is done!

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

sofar wrote:Again, keep in mind that I intend to make basic, basic crops.
If a crop is a basic crop depends on the country where you live at.
Somewhere in Africa apples are a rarity l think.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

sofar wrote:Corn is done!

Wow, bangin' job man, Great work!!!
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

These look realllllly nice. I like how this looks. Very visually appealing.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Hybrid Dog wrote: If a crop is a basic crop depends on the country where you live at.
Somewhere in Africa apples are a rarity l think.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. If you go to Africa and ask people if they want a "Golden Delicious" or a "Pink Lady", they will frown massively or think you are hitting on them.

Maybe I should have used the word "generic" instead of basic?

And for exactly that reason I'd rather name the fruit "apple" and "melon" than something less generic, at first :)

The name can always be changed later.
Last edited by sofar on Fri Apr 10, 2015 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Modified melons so that melons, just like in nature, grow on their *side* and not their bottom. Textures modified to match, lined up stem as well with the melon.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

I'm thinking of adding tomatoes next. I noticed that farming_plus already implements tomatoes, but it makes a mistake in it's implementation: You dig the whole plant away to get some tomatoes, but in reality, you never cut the plant away - it just grows more tomatoes that you harvest from the plant (more like berries / berry bushes).

Similarly, farming_plus implements "potato seeds" which is ridiculous. In order to plant potatoes, you put a small young potato in the ground, which then grows to mature size, splits and creates more young and mature potatoes...

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I'm glad you tipped the watermelons over :)
I thought about it earlier but held my tongue as didn't want too much constructive criticism headed your way at once.
You can grow many potatoes from the "eyes" of one potatoe. And I really like how you made the corn. Especially the spent cornstalks. Nice touch!

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

From the screenshots, this is the best implementation of farming I have seen in minetest yet. I really need to try this once I have the time.
Back from the dead!

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

sofar wrote:I'm thinking of adding tomatoes next. I noticed that farming_plus already implements tomatoes, but it makes a mistake in it's implementation: You dig the whole plant away to get some tomatoes, but in reality, you never cut the plant away - it just grows more tomatoes that you harvest from the plant (more like berries / berry bushes).
ln autumn when the tomatoes are taken from the plant it gets pulled out of the ground and thrown into the compost heap.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪