[Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

amadin

Re: [Mod] crops [crops] - (Farming|Food|Cooking)

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed Dec 18, 2019 19:36, edited 3 times in total.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

I was thinking, what about rice? :)
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

amadin

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed Dec 18, 2019 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

I've considered carrots but it'll just make it look too much like MC, which I'm not a fan of. Maybe we can do something else instead.

Rice is a crop that grows in shallow water. It would be interesting, but very hard to make it look right due to the water transparency issues. Also rice is boring as a food, and there already is a basic starch food (potato) in this mod.

I'd like to do more *green* vegetables instead. I think I've mentioned cabbage before, or something like that.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed Dec 18, 2019 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

amadin wrote:I think not need add more other food in "crops" because it will too much textures for slow mobile internet connection.
Textures are relatively small and don't add much login delay. Sounds are much more problematic. A one second sound sample can be as big as 50 16x16 textures.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed May 26, 2021 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

uh? rice is boring as food?
I hope you mean playwise or else I must presume you have never eaten any real rice in one of it's many varieties :-D

Getting the cultivation of rice working in the game though might indeed proove a little difficult, that is if you would try to get it at least a little near to being somewhat realistic. As in the end all you get is rice, it might not seem worth all the effort within the game mechanics. I guess this would only be interesting if you had large biome groups that would force you to use certain crops as not everything can grow in every climate.

Yet it is difficult at the moment to create some convincing dioramas of some east or southeast asian structures as much of the stuff growing at those places is not present in minetest in enough variety.

This is actually true for much of the earths many landscapes. All we have at the moment is basically a sort of MiddleEarth environment based on the Shire although with a food basket centered more on what people in North America might be used to with a few iconic exotic isolated plants usually pictured somewhat wrong when compared to the real thing.

While I can understand that MT-game uses some well known plants with some simplified processes and even combining chracteristics of different plants into one for sake of simplicity and quick progress in gameplay (think sugercane+papyrus), I really do wish some mods would go further to represent some of our biome specific agricultur landscapes in a more detailed way. There are several plants that shape whole landscapes in recognizable ways. Rice is certainly one such crop. Others that form well known cultur-landscapes may be winegrapes, date-palms or olive-trees. There are many more and although I never understood why so many players are so keen on yet more sorts of monsters and a trillion varieties of weapons I clearly do hope we get enough plants to give a Maya temple, a Shaolin monastry, a Samurai castle, a Zulu kraal, an Arabien Oasis or a hut on Fidshi and many others the right setting.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

Rice is just a starch, and for gameplay, starches are relatively boring. I'd rather introduce a bit of variety than add another starchy food.

For gameplay value, foods should bring something unique before I'll consider including it. The cooking side of this mod isn't really complete yet I feel, so I'd rather spend more time seeing if we can make it more coherent then add another starch. That just would make the problem worse.

Just as you don't want a ton of monsters, I think for a game like this we should keep foods in moderation as well. Ideally, foods aren't all clustered in a single biome, but there's also nothing wrong with some biomes not having any default food source.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

I was mostly just thinking rice because it is such a common food. I'm using this mod with my students in our survival world that I'm trying to make as realistic as possible without taking out the fun so this mod has been awesome. I think it is also a great way for them to have fun trying to survive and also learn a bit about agriculture. Thanks for your hard work on this mod! Would you be willing to accept suggestions from them? Take care!
-Mike
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

TheReaperKing wrote:I was mostly just thinking rice because it is such a common food. I'm using this mod with my students in our survival world that I'm trying to make as realistic as possible without taking out the fun so this mod has been awesome. I think it is also a great way for them to have fun trying to survive and also learn a bit about agriculture. Thanks for your hard work on this mod! Would you be willing to accept suggestions from them? Take care!
-Mike
Suggestions? From a whole classroom of opinionated teenagers? You betcha! :D

Yes, for sure, I'd love to hear their ideas. Kids' ideas are so much more intricate and unfiltered than adult ideas :)

xisd

by xisd » Post

I don't know if that is intended but vegetables are growing a lot faster that cotton and wheat from farming.
Most of the time, they are ready to harvest while wheat has only advanced one stage (with easy setting).

I use interval value in settings table of 150 instead of 30 to fix it (with easy setting, it should be longer in others settings since chance is doubled every step).

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Hey sofar, does this mod "catch-up" all grow time passed since a player visited the area last? Or is the grow timer only running when the area is loaded? I get the feeling of the latter when I play with it.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:Hey sofar, does this mod "catch-up" all grow time passed since a player visited the area last? Or is the grow timer only running when the area is loaded? I get the feeling of the latter when I play with it.
The crops catch up one grow stage when you're out of the area.

texmex

by texmex » Post

sofar wrote:The crops catch up one grow stage when you're out of the area.
Okay, thank you. Where in the code can I find that the catch up part?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:Okay, thank you. Where in the code can I find that the catch up part?
That's just something that node timers give you for free.

texmex

by texmex » Post

sofar wrote:
texmex wrote:That's just something that node timers give you for free.
Oh, that's why I couldn't find it! Okay, last question: Is the node timer configurable to catch up all time that has passed and grow/dry/wither accordingly?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

texmex wrote:Oh, that's why I couldn't find it! Okay, last question: Is the node timer configurable to catch up all time that has passed and grow/dry/wither accordingly?
The plants grow/wither/die in stages, and there is no special code to do "catch up" more than a single stage in this mod, so the node timer will only ever catch up a single stage. This does mean that your plants won't grow to full from stage 1, ever, but it also means your plants don't go from healthy to dead in one step either.

There is no special configuration flag to tune this further, no.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I would like to make some suggestions for crops. I do NOT expect most of them to be used to be used, but it gives a nice amount of variety to choose from if you want to.
Spoiler
broccoli
rhubarb
cabbage
carrot
turnip
beet
spinach
lettuce
cauliflower
cucumber
Spoiler
pears
plums
orange
cherry
peach
banana
Spoiler
strawberries
raspberries
blueberries
blackberries
blackcurrants
redcurrants
cranberry
elderberry
boysenberry
loganberry
Spoiler
Rice
Oats
Barley
Yes, some of them are grown in trees, but growing trees could use some more innovation. A sapling growing immediately into a tree is kind of dumb.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

BrunoMine
GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Post

Do mod work nice in the servers? Do plants work normally without a player being around?

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

BrunoMine wrote:Do mod work nice in the servers? Do plants work normally without a player being around?
Unclear what you are actually asking for. Obviously this mod works on servers.

If there are no players around, why do crops matter? Do you mean to ask "do these crops grow if players are not nearby?" perhaps? (In which case, the answer is: yes, they grow 1 step even if the player is not near if enough time passes).

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Maybe add lettuce?
What is SCP-055?

burli

by burli » Post

This mod doesn't work in 0.4.16

If I activate the mod and save the settings it gets deactivated automatically.

sofar
Developer

by sofar » Post

burli wrote:This mod doesn't work in 0.4.16

If I activate the mod and save the settings it gets deactivated automatically.
I don't know what you're doing, but I just loaded it on a vanilla 0.4.16 and it just works. Do you have any mods installed perhaps that conflict with this mod?

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

It works fine for me in 0.4.16, but I just don't know the moisture percentage that each plant prefers.
What is SCP-055?