[Mod] Real Terrain [0.1.0] [realterrain]

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

Re: [Mod] Real Terrain [0.0.9] [realterrain]

by Gael de Sailly » Post

That's especially for the image library. The core uses an image library. It could simply (I know that technically, it may not be that simple) provide the functions to the Lua interface, no need to add another library to the core.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

bobomb
GitHub: bobombolo
IRC: bobomb

by bobomb » Post

yes that's what I mean. should we ask the core developers to include pixel-access to images as a lua method?

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I've sent a pull request to realterrain some weeks ago : PR 97.

For the image library, yes we should ask the devs. That's the moment : they're very active and make very good things these days. We should open an issue on minetest/minetest.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I have another idea:

making a separate python script that converts the image into raw data that Lua can easily use. Run the script before starting Minetest.
With this method, the raw data can even been split up into many different tiles, each of them matching a… maybe 200x200 pixels, hugely reducing the amount of used RAM (unload a tile when it has not been used during 5 consecutive chunk generations for example). We can even use zlib compression, performed by python, and decompressed by the Minetest API:

Code: Select all

minetest.decompress(data)
I mean, in brief, what has been done for the Moon Mapgen mod by arpruss.

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

there are issues with most of the image processor modes under windows, but if you had imagemagick working in the past then changing the MAGICK_AS_CONVERT = false on init.lua line 40 should get you working again.

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

as for image functions in core, this is the answer (no):

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14164

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

actually celeron55 says yes: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14164#p210309

anybody want to take a crack at it?

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:I have another idea:

making a separate python script that converts the image into raw data that Lua can easily use. Run the script before starting Minetest.
With this method, the raw data can even been split up into many different tiles, each of them matching a… maybe 200x200 pixels, hugely reducing the amount of used RAM (unload a tile when it has not been used during 5 consecutive chunk generations for example). We can even use zlib compression, performed by python, and decompressed by the Minetest API:

Code: Select all

minetest.decompress(data)
I mean, in brief, what has been done for the Moon Mapgen mod by arpruss.
I have considered this approach but am not, personally, interested in it. The current method, with most of the (working) libraries does not load the entire image into memory anyway (the native png processor lifted from imageloader mod is an exception and crashes on even mid-sized images -- lua image libraries that load the entire image into memory were not considered for this mod. the imagemagick and graphicsmagic libs read the entire file and create a disk cache of it but at least do not load it into memory).
Mainly though I don't want to create any temp files because many of the source files of DEMs are huge and because I want them to be usable without any extra processing steps, otherwise we might as well convert DEM formats to ESRI's GRID (text-based) format. However, I envision a tiling system for version 0.2.0 of the mod which would allow any kind of tiles to be used, whether they be multiple contiguous tiles from a DEM set or from a python script as you say.
the mod already performs "caching" of sorts and only looks up pixels for map chunk "footprints" once in a vertical column -- it knows when a sky or sub-surface chunk is being rendered and does no pixel lookups...
I also experimented with cropping the image into smaller images for efficiency (not 200x200 but mapchunk size of 80x80 and multiples thereof) but with large source DEMs (which are the ones we'd want to do this with) re-opening the source file for cropping took several seconds each time. certain processors actually do this out of necessity. gm and convert for example -- which then translate the image into and parse a text pixel enumeration, which isn't working in windows...)
I think the best way forward is to use core's image handling functions to create lua methods that will open an image and get pixel values. anyone willing to help with this task please jump in ASAP. we could eliminate all outside libraries, command line (python) calls, and remove the mod security settings for this mod, making it much more portable and easy to use by a wider audience.

Gael de Sailly

Re: [Mod] Real Terrain [0.1.0] [realterrain]

by Gael de Sailly » Post

I've made a script that produces a rivermap from a DEM heightmap. Might be useful in the future.

It's here: rivermapper on GitHub.

Requires python3 and Wand library 0.4.2
Works only for 16-bit depth image for now.

RAM taken: ~ 20 Mo per million pixels, around 700 Mo for 6001*6001 SRTM tiles.
Speed: on my computer, it took 7 minutes to generate the rivers for this 6001*6001 SRTM tile.

Edit: Wand library version, and optimization.
Last edited by Gael de Sailly on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Sorry, I forgot to say that the code is only working for wand library 0.4.2.

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Optimized (Reduced taken memory by 60%), and bugs fixed.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Oh!What is beauty!!

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

fyi the latest mod includes a mode that does in fact preload the map.sqlite file using a python script so that no image libraries are needed. it is still somewhat experimental. python 3 needed

captpete

by captpete » Post

YouTube video tutorial no longer available - any other detailed help on this?

Open_Future
IRC: Open_Future
In-game: dante123

by Open_Future » Post

I'm wondering if a map of Canada could be produced with this mod that has the major regions of our country. Namely:

Western Cordillera
Interior Plains
Canadian Shield
Hudson Bay Lowlands
St. Lawrence Lowlands
Appalachia

Kind of like as shown here: http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/geog ... sical.html

Or perhaps there is some elevation data for Canada that could be used. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. This would be used with students in grades 3 and 4 as part of social studies and geography.

captpete

by captpete » Post

Tried this mod before on an older version of MineTest but now, on a clean world with [realterrain] the only mod loaded I get this:

No debug.txt generated.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (14.87 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Realterrain tries to access external libraries, what mod security forbids. You must disable mod security (at your own risks, don't run any untrustworthy mod).

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

going to revive this project. lost some data along the way: does anyone have the last copy of the project? the one with the python script that pre-generates the map?

Gael de Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Hi bobomb. I am very glad you are back on this project. Much time has gone, and, a bit disappointed by the abandon of your project, I started my own, that you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19387. It works differently, in 2 steps, using a Python script to convert the images into some kind of database, and then the Lua mod generates the map based on this database. If you want to join me, you're welcome.
bobomb wrote:lost some data along the way: does anyone have the last copy of the project? the one with the python script that pre-generates the map?
The latest I can find is this one: https://github.com/Gael-de-Sailly/realt ... orhood_fix.
I might have a more recent local copy on my old computer in my family's home, where I will be next Saturday.

So.Po.Coder
GitHub: SoPoCoder
In-game: SoPoCoder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

I realize this is an old thread, but I recently wanted to recreate a map from an old-school NES video game to Minetest and bobombolo's realterrain project worked quite nicely. I ended up modifying the code quite a bit and added a few biome related features so I forked the project on GitHub in case anyone has interest. Here are a few real world examples of what it can do:

Attachments
moon.jpg
moon.jpg (289.87 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
himalayas.jpg
himalayas.jpg (316.37 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
gcanyon.jpg
gcanyon.jpg (259.34 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Last edited by So.Po.Coder on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

Merak

by Merak » Post

Looks nice. Is there river water in those canyons? Are they ready to be played?

So.Po.Coder
GitHub: SoPoCoder
In-game: SoPoCoder

by So.Po.Coder » Post

Merak wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 17:26
Looks nice. Is there river water in those canyons? Are they ready to be played?
Not river water, but normal water is possible by simply increasing the water level from the default (18) to a value high enough to generate water at the bottom of the canyon. The problem with that would be the water level would be flat (and with kelp unless you turn vegetation off), and river water descends. If you didn't want to hand place the river water after generation, you might be able to use one of the biome slots to generate river water. I'm pretty sure that would work.

The rasters for all three demos are included in the GitHub package, you just have to move them to the rasters folder root level. For the screenshots I tweaked the biome definitions a bit for each of the demos (i.e. desert_stone for the grand canyon, etc.) but they should all work out of the box. They are just demos though so aren't very large. I'm using this to make a much larger map, which I will post in the Maps section of the forum when I'm done.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

This mod is so cool!
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

bobomb

by bobomb » Post

i'm having trouble getting my mod to work after all these years. the game crashes out on load with no error. can anyone help me get this up and running again? i'd like to clean it up.
https://github.com/bobombolo/realterrain

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I took a quick look, and got error messages. It seems like the Minetest insecure environment has changed; it's failing to load lib/lua-imagesize-1.2. It's searching the minetest run folder and /usr/share/whatever, but not the mod folder itself. It's as if it's ignoring the package.path variable. The same problem affects So.Po.Coder's fork.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile