[Mod] Spears [3.1] [spears]

Echoes91
In-game: Echoes

Re: [Mod] Spears [2.1] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Post

Bastrabun wrote:Are you planning on submitting it to content db?
Sure, if I learn how :)

Meanwhile, some mechanics refined with version 2.1:
  • Spears ding hard blocks (those with cracky < 3)
  • Fixed stick-into-node position to avoid spears turning black (#2467)
  • Player velocity added to throw (it's physics baby)

Xanthus
GitHub: Xanthus1
In-game: Xanthus1

by Xanthus » Post

Great spear mod! Looks great and works well, I like how player velocity affects it and the spear actually rotates as it travels. I did increase the 'hitbox' radius to better hit mobs, I feel like it was going through some. I'm also leveraging your mod to override how spears work in the other mods I'm using!

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

spears ?? ....... excellent !!!!
these really do work so well , the trajectory is spot on , very much improves the gameplay at the start of a new world with the extra range .
great work and much appriciated
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [2.2] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Post

Stick mechanics are improved a bit in version 2.2:
- "Hit detection" based on spearhead position
- Spears go through buildable_to blocks (snow)
- Ugly fix to not collide in air above slabs (works only if slabs are not rotated)

This is probably as far as I can go without proper collision box detection.
Spears are now on content DB too!
cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 13:38
spears ?? ....... excellent !!!!
these really do work so well , the trajectory is spot on , very much improves the gameplay at the start of a new world with the extra range .
great work and much appriciated
Xanthus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 02:39
Great spear mod! Looks great and works well, I like how player velocity affects it and the spear actually rotates as it travels. I did increase the 'hitbox' radius to better hit mobs, I feel like it was going through some. I'm also leveraging your mod to override how spears work in the other mods I'm using!
Hit radius is hard to balance, it considers the origins but entities have a different size... one more reason to need an API that detects collision boxes.

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

Im using it and is pretty good as a starter/all-round weapon, you can get some damage and at range too, and dig faster than without the same rank pickaxe at a bit less cost.
The only thing i dont like so far is the hit boxes, you need practice if you have mods that add weird mobs xD, and that they arent stackable (but that would make them javelins i guess).

Merak

by Merak » Post

Here, they mine stone slower than a stone pickaxe does. -- which is good, if they should be able to mine at all.

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

Merak wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:16
Here, they mine stone slower than a stone pickaxe does. -- which is good, if they should be able to mine at all.
and here i was, thinking that it was better than a wood pickaxe xD

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [2.3] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Post

Been away for too long, but finally spears got some care with update 2.3
- Updated receipts to avoid conflict with some arrows (I wonder how big are those arrows)
- Updated API to Minetest 5.4 with cleanup of some bugs and deprecated functions
Ignaramico wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 02:33
Im using it and is pretty good as a starter/all-round weapon, you can get some damage and at range too, and dig faster than without the same rank pickaxe at a bit less cost.
The only thing i dont like so far is the hit boxes, you need practice if you have mods that add weird mobs xD, and that they arent stackable (but that would make them javelins i guess).
Spears are indeed, like al tools and weapons, wearable and thus not stackable
Merak wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:16
You got the point, they're slower than tools at digging and slower than swords at fighting, but can do both, and can fly :)

Crabman
GitHub: crabman77
IRC: Crabman
In-game: Crabman

by Crabman » Post

Echoes91 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 17:58
Hit radius is hard to balance, it considers the origins but entities have a different size... one more reason to need an API that detects collision boxes.
Hi,
We found a good system for collisions, you can hit a small bee or a big mob with pretty good accuracy, using the collision boxes.

you can also find some fix for deployers, itemframes and client-side translations(Fr only) if you want.

https://sys4.fr/gitea/nalc/spears

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Echoes91 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 17:58
Using raycasts should work: They take the selectionboxes ("hitboxes", not the same as collisionboxes) of entities into account.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [2.4] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Post

Update 2.4
We have some intensive rewrite of functions which solve a pair of issues with undeclared vectors and unknown nodes
Also pigiron support was added, because I like it
Crabman wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 07:02
Hi,
We found a good system for collisions, you can hit a small bee or a big mob with pretty good accuracy, using the collision boxes.

you can also find some fix for deployers, itemframes and client-side translations(Fr only) if you want.

https://sys4.fr/gitea/nalc/spears
I'll take a look at collision box API for next releases for sure, thanks!

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [3.0] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Post

Update 3.0
After a long time there must be a big update, so here's the first version making use of collisionboxes for hit detection. With precious contribution by ChatGPT.
It probably needs even more testing than what I've done but hey, it's a *.0 release after all :)
This version also deprecates "spears.conf" file to move into Minetest mod's settings menu, which is still to be refined as well.
Hope youl'll enjoy!

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Oh man, now I feel bad I never got around to making a PR of our changes from Exile. Our last change was switching your audio files from stereo to mono, as stereo files don't work properly for positional audio sound effects.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Echoes91

by Echoes91 » Post

Mantar wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 21:04
Oh man, now I feel bad I never got around to making a PR of our changes from Exile. Our last change was switching your audio files from stereo to mono, as stereo files don't work properly for positional audio sound effects.
That's a useful insight I'll take into account for sure within upcoming updates, together with other improvements and PRs I missed along the road.
Thanks!

Echoes91

Re: [Mod] Spears [3.1] [spears]

by Echoes91 » Post

Update 3.1 contains:
  • Initial i18n support with Esperanto - thanks Jaydin Ann! - and Italian translations
  • Stereo sounds replaced with mono waves
  • Fix issues with initial settings that for some reason don't consider values in settingtypes.txt, also took the chance to clean unused variables and deprecate defaults.lua file