[Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

[Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

by Delaroyas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 20:42

Description:
Adds 5 new craftable block types to minetest. Slopes and slope corners. Supports
multiple types of blocks from different mods.

Licence:LGPLv2.1+
Mod dependencies: default
Compatible mods: lapis, bakedclay, wool, mobs, castle, homedecor, moretrees, ethereal

Download from github
Source Code Zip File

The goal of this mod was to make my first mod, to get familiar with minetest programming.
There were similar (identical) blocks in moreblocks, but if you are looking for a light mod that just adds a few slopes, here you go:

The mod add a slope, 2 slope corners and 2 inside slope corners.
Image

Slopes supports many blocs form multiple mods (currently the same as stairs form tenplus1).
Image

As an example of the builds possible a small desert temple:
Image

Aslo a simple but cosy house. On the lawn we can see a grass slope and a wooden wall.
Image

Future development:
If you want me to add support for certain blocks from other mods, please specify block names and mod.
This mod is still in beta, it will change in the near future, they're are still a few lighting glitches. No backwards compatibility will be offered until version 0.5. I will not be responsible for any broken blocks in your worlds.
Code inspired by tenplus1 stairs, which was derived from minetest stairs by celeron55.

History:
V 0.1.0 : Initial release under Slopes
V 0.1.1 : Name changed to SimplySlopes
V 0.1.2 : Code clean-up, (no effect)
V 0.1.3 : Fixed lighting, and inventory display glitches.
V 0.1.4 : Code clean-up (may change some node names), tested some soft dependencies
V 0.2.0 : Added moretrees soft dependency. Naming conventions changed (reverse-compatible with previous version)
V 0.2.1 : Tested ethereal
V 0.2.2 : Cleanded up code for Xanadu (untested)
V 0.3 : Updated for Mintetest 0.4.14, added reverse recipes, plus a couple of blocks.
Last edited by Delaroyas on Sun Oct 09, 2016 21:15, edited 10 times in total.
 

User avatar
jp
Member
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 09:03
Location: France
GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by jp » Mon Nov 09, 2015 21:00

The /exact/ same thing already exists in More Blocks and Technic, how does this bring a benefit to the community ?
[Mods] Crafting GuideSpectator ModeX-Decor[+]
[Maps] New York CityMinecraft Imported Maps
[Textures] PixelBOX Reloaded

Like my stuff? Consider donating.
 

User avatar
Napiophelios
Member
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 01:14
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi
 

User avatar
firefox
Member
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 07:34
Location: Xanadu
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by firefox » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:05

jp wrote:The /exact/ same thing already exists in More Blocks and Technic, how does this bring a benefit to the community ?


i guess it benefits from being smaller than moreblocks and technic, but then it should be labeled as such.
like "slopes from the moreblocks mod".
my game: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15860 --- building inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15550 --- =(^.^)= nya~
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by Delaroyas » Tue Nov 10, 2015 13:07

firefox wrote:
jp wrote:The /exact/ same thing already exists in More Blocks and Technic, how does this bring a benefit to the community ?


i guess it benefits from being smaller than moreblocks and technic, but then it should be labeled as such.
like "slopes from the moreblocks mod".


Actually, I'm kind of new to minetest, and i don't know most of the mods . I looked for it, but didn't find anything. The idea was to do my first mod, something simple. But I'll look into moreblocks. Thanks for the comments.
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by Delaroyas » Tue Nov 10, 2015 13:16

Napiophelios wrote:Your repo link is botched.

https://github.com/Delaroyas/slopes/tree/master

also you say no dependency in the above mod description
but it requires default mod.


Fixed the link, added a .zip link.
For the dependencies, when I wrote the code I assumed default mod was necessary for the game to run. I'll look into it and make the proper changes in the code if necessary. In the meantime, I'll just write "default" in the description I guess.
 

User avatar
lightonflux
Member
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 07:22
Location: Germany
In-game: lof

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by lightonflux » Tue Nov 10, 2015 15:51

Thats only 45° right?

If you don't want to change the scope of the mod, it might be wise to rename the mod to something like simpleslopes or slopes lite. So people immediately see that the mod is meant to be small and lightweight compared to the other slope implementations.
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by Delaroyas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 01:02

Delaroyas wrote:
firefox wrote:
jp wrote:The /exact/ same thing already exists in More Blocks and Technic, how does this bring a benefit to the community ?


i guess it benefits from being smaller than moreblocks and technic, but then it should be labeled as such.
like "slopes from the moreblocks mod".


Actually, I'm kind of new to minetest, and i don't know most of the mods . I looked for it, but didn't find anything. The idea was to do my first mod, something simple. But I'll look into moreblocks. Thanks for the comments.


Ok, seems I already played with moreblocks in carbone-ng. But the blocks are not available trough the unified inventory interface, seems like you have to use the circular saw to actually get those blocks, that's why I missed them.

On the other hand, I will need my grass slopes for my next goal, to actually generate smooth terrain. Unless that already exist also?
 

User avatar
paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by paramat » Wed Nov 11, 2015 02:20

Don't worry about duplicating slopes from other mods, this is welcome as a dedicated and lightweight mod.
 

User avatar
jp
Member
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 09:03
Location: France
GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by jp » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17

Delaroyas wrote:On the other hand, I will need my grass slopes for my next goal, to actually generate smooth terrain. Unless that already exist also?

Yes, it does. In the Australopithecus subgame (see screenshots in there).
[Mods] Crafting GuideSpectator ModeX-Decor[+]
[Maps] New York CityMinecraft Imported Maps
[Textures] PixelBOX Reloaded

Like my stuff? Consider donating.
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by Delaroyas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:56

paramat wrote:Don't worry about duplicating slopes from other mods, this is welcome as a dedicated and lightweight mod.


So I will probably "rebrand" this as simplyslopes. Then.
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by Delaroyas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:57

jp wrote:
Delaroyas wrote:On the other hand, I will need my grass slopes for my next goal, to actually generate smooth terrain. Unless that already exist also?

Yes, it does. In the Australopithecus subgame (see screenshots in there).


Ok, this looks like what I was thinking of... I'll look into that project, thanks!
 

BobbyBonsaimind
Member
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 19:32
GitHub: RobertZenz
IRC: Robert_Zenz
In-game: Bobby

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by BobbyBonsaimind » Wed Nov 11, 2015 18:35

Delaroyas wrote:Ok, this looks like what I was thinking of... I'll look into that project, thanks!


The code that powers the ramps/slopes can be found in worldgen-utils mod. Though, that code is neither documented nor easy to read, and I have started thinking about a complete rewrite into a more generic version some days ago (when I implemented corners, which would require quite the same logic). If you have any input in that matter, shoot away, I'm happy for any ideas (my basic idea is to provide the same code as found in RampPlacer, but with the possibility to register ramps/corners in it).

As usage example you can look into australopithecus/mods/mapgen/crust/bake.lua, right at the bottom is a usage example of how to use the code which you can find in worldgen-utils.

Also I very much like your idea of the corner-ramp which fits with the corners (ahm, your first screenshot, the bottom right one). That didn't occur to me by now.

If you have any questions, just ask.
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] Slopes [0.1] [slopes]

by Delaroyas » Thu Nov 12, 2015 02:06

BobbyBonsaimind wrote:
Delaroyas wrote:Ok, this looks like what I was thinking of... I'll look into that project, thanks!


The code that powers the ramps/slopes can be found in worldgen-utils mod. Though, that code is neither documented nor easy to read, and I have started thinking about a complete rewrite into a more generic version some days ago (when I implemented corners, which would require quite the same logic). If you have any input in that matter, shoot away, I'm happy for any ideas (my basic idea is to provide the same code as found in RampPlacer, but with the possibility to register ramps/corners in it).

As usage example you can look into australopithecus/mods/mapgen/crust/bake.lua, right at the bottom is a usage example of how to use the code which you can find in worldgen-utils.

Also I very much like your idea of the corner-ramp which fits with the corners (ahm, your first screenshot, the bottom right one). That didn't occur to me by now.

If you have any questions, just ask.



Thanks for the comment, it's appreciated. And the info on your mod! I'll put comments on your mod's tread.
It's funny, you made an incredibly sophisticated mapgen mod, but very much like by my model, which is basically 4 triangles!
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.1.3] [simplyslopes]

by Delaroyas » Mon Nov 16, 2015 01:02

Made a few updates. Updated compatible mods.
Fixed some lighting glitches and some inventory display glitches.

Still a few compatible mods to test. Was not able to make homedecor or castle work. Did test not ethereal yet... Still on my todo list. There is a reference to a "Xanadu" mod in there, but did not find a Xanadu mod anywhere. There is of course the Xanadu server but, mod?
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.2] [simplyslopes]

by Delaroyas » Mon Nov 23, 2015 02:00

Updated to 0.2.0
Added blocks from moretrees (soft dependency).

Naming convension changed (reverse-compatible with previous version)
 

User avatar
afflatus
Member
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:47
Location: Avalonia
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.2] [simplyslopes]

by afflatus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 20:12

I have integrated simplyslopes into Grail Test. I have been doing a bit of rock carving. My mapgen and textures could be improved but simplyslopes is doing its job well.

Image

Image

Image

Thank you! This implementation works really well in my sub-game.
Grailtest is dreaming ...
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

by Delaroyas » Sun Oct 09, 2016 21:16

version 0.3 is out.

Reverse recipes added (to get back the original material).

fixed for minetest 0.4.14
 

KCoombes
Member
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 23:19
Location: SW Florida, USA
In-game: Knatt
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7428
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
 

User avatar
Delaroyas
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 23:01
Location: Canada
GitHub: Delaroyas
In-game: Delaroyas

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

by Delaroyas » Wed Oct 19, 2016 00:30

KCoombes wrote:+1

Please add support for baked_clay.


Is there a difference between baked_clay and bakedclay, It already supports tenplus1 bakedclay:
viewtopic.php?id=8890#p134783
 

KCoombes
Member
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 23:19
Location: SW Florida, USA
In-game: Knatt

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

by KCoombes » Mon Oct 24, 2016 19:55

Delaroyas wrote:
KCoombes wrote:+1

Please add support for baked_clay.


Is there a difference between baked_clay and bakedclay, It already supports tenplus1 bakedclay:
viewtopic.php?id=8890#p134783


Nope, that's the one I meant :)
 

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
 
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
Location: Russia, Moscow
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

by Andrey01 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 13:33

afflatus wrote:I have integrated simplyslopes into Grail Test. I have been doing a bit of rock carving. My mapgen and textures could be improved but simplyslopes is doing its job well.

Image

Image

Image

Thank you! This implementation works really well in my sub-game.

You have very beautiful screenshots, Afflatus
DL9Eh7xVBw7DXwLAMX1lStE21bSD2XUQ
 

User avatar
afflatus
Member
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 19:47
Location: Avalonia
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

Re: [Mod] SimplySlopes [0.3] [simplyslopes]

by afflatus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 02:37

Thanks Andrey, this is the texture pack I designed for Grail Test. I have taken a break from developing and running a server.

Thanks for the reverse crafting recipes Delaroyas!
Grailtest is dreaming ...
 

Next

Return to Mod Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests