[mod] kaeza's/VanessaE's signs library [signs_lib][git]

Pikulla
In-game: Pikulla

Re: [mod] kaeza's/VanessaE's signs library [signs_lib][git]

by Pikulla » Post

i find a zip folder in the commit of these side. roads-master.zip, i did extract it and the streets mod i did out of the mod folder and try to enable the mod roads, but is not possible i got a error:
error roads.jpg
error roads.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
. any help for the error from you?

Pikulla

by Pikulla » Post

ok i find the problem. the folder for the smartfs was emty. i copy the folder from the streets mod and integrade these in the streetsmod folder in the roads mod. the roads mod is now running. then i enable the signs_lib mod. now i got a new error:
error basicsigns.jpg
error basicsigns.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
. what is now the problem? can you help? thanks in advance for help. Edit: i did download again the basic_lib mod and integrade it in the mod folder, but the same error appear.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ok I'm just lost now. You've broken things in a way that I don't understand what's wrong.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Pikulla

by Pikulla » Post

hi vanessa, i find out two another problems what can have all players in these game. the error for the basic_signs was coming because i did not named the basic_lib without -master. the second problem was that my homedecor mod was outdated. i did download the latest version from your mod and after then the signs_lib was running. my world runs now without any problems. you blame me that i had broken some things. what i did with the road mod was logical for what i have seen when i matched the streets mod with the streetsmod inside the roads mod. when i see that all folder are the same and only the folder for the smartfs is emty then is it constructiv to copy the files from the streets mod to that folder. anyway now is all running well and thanks for your help.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

No worries, sometimes the simplest solutions get buried under a bunch of confusing error/failure messages.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

zeuner
GitHub: zeuner

by zeuner » Post

VanessaE wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 13:32
Looks pretty good! What's next?
From my side, I'm rather happy with the current state (up-to-date with the master branch on https://github.com/zeuner/signs_lib/tre ... opean-test). In case I happen to get more involved with yet another language that requires more characters, or I find someone willing to test, I might add support for characters from more languages.

There is also yet another demo: https://tube.tchncs.de/videos/watch/62d ... fe11b99dca

In case you decide to merge my changes, I guess more users will be able to use them.

thminer
GitHub: TEbinger
In-game: thomas or thomas321

by thminer » Post

It would be very helpful for German and other international servers to have that fix for äöü etc in Your official signs_lib, VanessaE. We miss that feature a lot on German educational servers. It is strange for younger children to always replace ä with ae and makes minetest look very unprofessional. And Your signs_lib is a must have ... Thank You zeuner for working on that fix!
Find my minetest stuff in my blog: http://thomas-ebinger.de/?s=minetest

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I have merged your changes, zeuner.

thminer

by thminer » Post

Good news! Thank You very much for merging that and thanks a lot for zeuner to program the nonascii characters!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

zeuner, a couple of players on my servers have said the new font seems a little harder to read, although on my screen, normal-size text is legible out to around 6 or 7 meters, which I'm pretty sure is slightly better than before.

Perhaps it's a little narrower than it used to be? None of us can quite put a finger on it, and I think you mention that there'd be some minor differences (though now I can't find that comment).

Any further thoughts?

thminer

by thminer » Post

Wonderful that the non-ascii characters are working now. But still You can't copy and paste them. Maybe You, Vanessa, or Isidor Zeuner have a fix for that?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It isn't fixable. It's an engine/client bug, or a glitch in irrlicht. Copy/paste has been variously broken in Minetest for its entire existence. :-P

thminer

by thminer » Post

Ok. Thank you

Zweihorn

by Zweihorn » Post

Many thanks to VanessaE and contributors for supporting this mod in continuity. Works like a charm in MT 5.6.1 both as server mod and as client mod.

Just recently I switched back from an outdated fork of a.m. same mod after some years of disregarding the original:
viewtopic.php?p=418757#p418757

However, I have two issues:

1) How to use the 16px version of the signs? By looking into the Lua code there should be both 16px and 32px templates available but I am unsure how and where to set the preference for using either.

There is nothing wrong with the 32px version. But IMHO the old 16px fits more into the default texture look.

2) The intro page seems to hold some outdated information: viewtopic.php?p=202106#p202106
For complete details on how to use this library with your own mods, see README.md, MODELS.md, and API.md.
Both the URLs for the README.md and the MODELS.md seem to be not working anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Zweihorn

by Zweihorn » Post

zeuner wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 17:19
VanessaE wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 13:32
Looks pretty good! What's next?
From my side, I'm rather happy with the current state (up-to-date with the master branch on https://github.com/zeuner/signs_lib/tre ... opean-test).
thminer wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 20:03
Good news! Thank You very much for merging that and thanks a lot for zeuner to program the nonascii characters!
@Zeuner : Many thanks. I highly appreciate the availability of the non-ascii characters as a German user of MT 5.6.1 and signs_lib.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

The newer sign text is too small if you ask me. Why was it made even smaller? Too small to read easily from more than about 2 nodes away on my 1080p 23 inch monitor.
Attachments
SignsLib_old_vs_new.png
SignsLib_old_vs_new.png (50.89 KiB) Viewed 916 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

darkhog
In-game: darkhog

by darkhog » Post

Is the mod's version on ContentDB outdated? Because I seem to not have access to the double wide sign font and can only do 3 lines of text.

//edit: My fault, conflict with another mod.

darkhog
In-game: darkhog

by darkhog » Post

How do I replace the font used by the mod on the signs? I have a high-res texture pack and having a pixel font really clashes with the look. Also is there a tool that would generate a compatible font from an ordinary TTF/OTF font?

Additionally, I've thought about a way to support more colors than just 16 basic CGA/EGA ones. How about, if player puts 3 consecutive color codes, like #A#B#C, it would treat it as an RGB value? It would be only 12-bit RGB (max 4096 colors), but it would be good enough for most cases. That is, if the mod simply multiplies font's color by desired character color, instead of doing something stupid like having 16 fonts for each color.