Page 1 of 3

[Mod]Lightning[lightning] (weather|environment|fire)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 07:42
by sofar
Have a scare with lightning!

Lightning strikes happen randomly above ground, set blocks on fire, and possibly change sand into glass, tree trunks into coal, and more! The mod contains several textures and sounds. When lightning strikes, the entire sky is lit up brightly!

https://github.com/minetest-mods/lightning

License: LGPL-2.1+ / CC-BY-SA

Dependencies: fire, default

Screenshots:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 08:23
by duane
Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:54
by mahmutelmas06
Nice mod.
Would be much better if Lightning appears when the weather is rainy if mymonths installed.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13639

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 17:20
by sofar
mahmutelmas06 wrote:Nice mod.
Would be much better if Lightning appears when the weather is rainy if mymonths installed.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13639


Send patches.

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 17:20
by sofar
duane wrote:Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?


That's easily doable. Who do you have it in for?

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 14:26
by iangp
+1 for that ^o^

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:46
by cd2
that looks great!

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:26
by IvĂ 
duane wrote:Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?


XDDD +1

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 19:01
by stu
I really like this mod, very interesting use of the particles. I can imagine HV tesla coils, plasma balls and the like being possible too. It's a real shame the particles cannot emit light, but I doubt that will ever be possible with the current lighting model.

duane wrote:Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?


+1 It should require a 'god' or 'thor' privilege ;-)

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 20:04
by sofar
stu wrote:I really like this mod, very interesting use of the particles. I can imagine HV tesla coils, plasma balls and the like being possible too. It's a real shame the particles cannot emit light, but I doubt that will ever be possible with the current lighting model.

duane wrote:Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?


+1 It should require a 'god' or 'thor' privilege ;-)


tenplus1 posted an issue/feature request for this a while back.

I've just pushed a change that will "light up the sky" briefly. Try it out.

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 23:36
by Diamond knight
now i can make a herobrine lightning rod!!! finnally the code i am looking for!!!

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 23:16
by sofar
Updates:

- reduce chance of actual spreading fire by 10. (now 1:1000)
- reduce chance of nodes getting modified (1:10)
- adds a "dying flame" node that does not ignite other nodes
- lightning by default places the "dying flame"
- "dying flame" node destroys itself within a short period

This makes the mod a bit safer, I was noticing a lot of modified nodes in the landscape on my personal server, a bit too much for my liking. Happy striking!

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38
by MoNTE48
Code: Select all
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback environment_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback node_on_construct(): ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: Invalid core.after invocation
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'assert'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: in function 'after'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:203: in function <....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:201>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 14:38
by sofar
Martin_Devil wrote:
Code: Select all
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback environment_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback node_on_construct(): ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: Invalid core.after invocation
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'assert'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: in function 'after'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:203: in function <....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:201>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>



did you disable the "fire" mod, perhaps?

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 15:24
by MoNTE48
sofar wrote:
Martin_Devil wrote:
Code: Select all
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback environment_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'lightning' in callback node_on_construct(): ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: Invalid core.after invocation
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'assert'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:41: in function 'after'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:203: in function <....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:201>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'set_node'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ....1.0-win64\bin\..\games\default\files\lightning\init.lua:153: in function 'func'
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:34: in function <...ktop\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\misc.lua:11>
2016-03-14 12:36:41: ERROR[Main]:    ...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:369: in function <...\MultiCraft-1.1.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:349>



did you disable the "fire" mod, perhaps?

I use tenplus1 fire mod.

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 06:17
by sofar
Martin_Devil wrote:
sofar wrote:did you disable the "fire" mod, perhaps?

I use tenplus1 fire mod.


I was going to say not to do that. However, the fix is relatively simple. And I've pushed it to git.

So now I'll just say, next time don't do that, and tell me first if you're using modified versions of default mods! ;)

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 06:39
by MoNTE48
I did not see the code and did not think that there are any problems. I've never even looked what is the difference between minetest_game fire and tenplus1 version. :)

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 06:53
by sofar
Martin_Devil wrote:I did not see the code and did not think that there are any problems. I've never even looked what is the difference between minetest_game fire and tenplus1 version. :)


tenplus1' version removes the fire-sound API - the reason for the crash. What tenplus1 should do is make the API calls available but not do anything, so it's API compatible.

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 21:47
by TenPlus1
Latest version of Fire Redo is based on the new default fire mod with redo changes applied and api compatibility: https://github.com/tenplus1/fire

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 22:50
by sofar
TenPlus1 wrote:Latest version of Fire Redo is based on the new default fire mod with redo changes applied and api compatibility: https://github.com/tenplus1/fire


Nice :D

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:30
by linushsao
sofar wrote:
duane wrote:Ooooooo. Pretty!

Is there a "/strike <username>" command in work?


That's easily doable. Who do you have it in for?



The angry of GOD?

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:54
by sofar
FYI the lightning mod now has an API that makes it easily integrated in other mods.

Now other mods could invoke it to strike players.

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 15:53
by Don
sofar wrote:FYI the lightning mod now has an API that makes it easily integrated in other mods.

Now other mods could invoke it to strike players.

I add it to mymonths. It makes storms look better.
Love this mod!

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 19:17
by Sokomine
That's a very good idea for survival-based games. Nature becomes more thretening that way (to a degree).

Re: [Mod]Lightning[Weather,environment,fire]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 19:20
by sofar
FYI I didn't mention this explicitly, but any player that's nearby the place where the lightning strikes will take a significant amount of damage. Not enough to kill a player at full health, but it will kill a player that's low on health.