[Mod] Crafting Guide [2.0] [craftguide]

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.10.1] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

How does one go from the crafting guide to the crafting grid? Do I just have to memorize what the guide says, then manually put stuff into the grid, craft one item, put more stuff into the grid, craft another item, repeat until I die of old age?
Yes this is a guide, not a crafting helper.

Moving items from the guide to the grid is one of most stupid ideas I've seen in UI. Not only this requires complex algorithms, but if it's too much of a pain for some people to craft items manually into the grid (something that adds a gameplay value IMO), what's the point of stopping halfway and not getting directly the output after a click to a button?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm seeing missing image errors when opening the guide.

see attached
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-11-05 01-02-19.png
Screenshot from 2019-11-05 01-02-19.png (196.11 KiB) Viewed 964 times
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

I agree, in a sense, that guide-to-grid mechanisms are solving the wrong problem. If that whole thing is desired it’s easier to get rid of the crafting grid completely, which is easily done with simplecrafting or rubenwardy’s crafting.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

jp wrote:
How does one go from the crafting guide to the crafting grid? Do I just have to memorize what the guide says, then manually put stuff into the grid, craft one item, put more stuff into the grid, craft another item, repeat until I die of old age?
Yes this is a guide, not a crafting helper.

Moving items from the guide to the grid is one of most stupid ideas I've seen in UI. Not only this requires complex algorithms, but if it's too much of a pain for some people to craft items manually into the grid (something that adds a gameplay value IMO), what's the point of stopping halfway and not getting directly the output after a click to a button?
I don't see the gameplay value to mindless clicking. I know there are people who do. One of the kids at the computer lab obsessively places and digs grass until they are all converted into seeds. Clicking just for clicking's sake or to see if you can aggravate carpal tunnel isn't my idea of an enjoyable afternoon.

Re: getting rid of the grid entirely, too much the other direction. The algorithm cannot know whether you want to use up small stacks of the correct group or if you are saving some of them for dining room furniture. Do I want to use tulips or coal for the black dye? How could the algorithm know? It just ends up the same situation as systems level hard drive management -- first fit, best fit, worst fit. No one solution is "best". Just have the algorithm make its best guess and let the player overrule its choices and get on with the game.

Not the thread for this discussion, though. We tried sfinv again because so many people have been championing it, and I was trying to find something, ANYTHING, to relieve the tedium of clicking. Guess it's back to UI and UI+.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I'm seeing missing image errors when opening the guide.
I forgot to add these files. This is fixed now.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Thanks, I can confirm that the missing image file errors are gone.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

The forward button in the sfinv craft guide is not working any more. I noticed this myself, then had a seperate report from a player about it.

Also, another play reported that they cannot see the item names anymore in the guide, but I can see item names when hovering, so I'm not sure what he/she meant by that. He/she is a mobile player so perhaps they mean something when they are touching an item in the guide.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

FreeGamers wrote:The forward button in the sfinv craft guide is not working any more. I noticed this myself, then had a seperate report from a player about it.

Also, another play reported that they cannot see the item names anymore in the guide, but I can see item names when hovering, so I'm not sure what he/she meant by that. He/she is a mobile player so perhaps they mean something when they are touching an item in the guide.
Which engine commit are you on?

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm on 5.0.1
Using this version in particular:
https://packages.debian.org/buster-back ... est-server

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

I am not able to reproduce your issues using the same engine version. Also the latest stable version is 5.1.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm on version 5.0.1 not 5.1.0, they are different version.

I've had a few clients report the issue, but I'll try to upload the latest version again and try again.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I confirmed that the right arrow does not work on 5.0.1 on a seperate environment with no mods installed aside from craftguide. I used the craftguide guide-book in this test instead of the sfinv version.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

Try using Minetest 5.1. Otherwise this report is not relevant.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Its not in my distribution yet and I'm ok with waiting to adopt it. As long as 5.x.x clients can play on the server, I am in no rush to jump to version 5.1.0.

I guess you're saying that you won't support previous versions?

That is OK. I'm going to try to take version 1.8.1 and backport the most important crash fixes and then just use that until things get updated on my distribution.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

OK, so I worked with some of my players to do some troubleshooting. Ultimately decided not to use version 1.8.1 because of the fatal crash with recipes. We did some additional steps and saw that it isn't a server side bug, but rather the craftguide bug only affects clients on 5.0.1 and all clients on 5.1.0 are able to scroll OK without a problem. So with that in mind, I'll just recommend my clients try to get on 5.1.0 when possible. 5.0.1 clients will have to deal with the glitch unfortunately, but it is preferable to the version with fatal crashes from dye recipes.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

I guess you're saying that you won't support previous versions?
All versions equal or newer than 0.4.16 are supported. But if you're using the 5.x branch, better using 5.1.

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.11] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.11 released!
  • Added bookmarks (requires Minetest 5.2-dev).
  • Better GUI visual feedbacks (requires Minetest 5.2-dev).
  • Bugfixes.
Enjoy!

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I tried the new updates on 5.2-dev and the nav elements are all broke in the sfinv version of the guide. Using 5.1 client. Just reporting the bug.

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

The server version and the client version must match. There is no way to check the formspec version on a client, unfortunately.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

jp wrote:There is no way to check the formspec version on a client, unfortunately.

Code: Select all

minetest.get_player_information(name).formspec_version
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
jp wrote:There is no way to check the formspec version on a client, unfortunately.

Code: Select all

minetest.get_player_information(name).formspec_version
This is too unreliable. E.g. the engine can have a specific feature in 5.2 inexisting from 5.1, but both keep the same formspec version, and you want this feature to be used only on 5.2 clients. What need to be known by the server is the engine version of the client, or formspec_version must be bumped everytime a new feature is added.

However this approach is better than minetest.get_version()

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

minetest.features would theoretically save the day, but sadly, this table is very very incomplete. Are you looking for the existence of a specific formspec element?

In the meantime, you can always declare your mod unsupported for all Minetest versions before version X.Y.Z.
:P

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

jp wrote:This is too unreliable. E.g. the engine can have a specific feature in 5.2 inexisting from 5.1, but both keep the same formspec version, and you want this feature to be used only on 5.2 clients. What need to be known by the server is the engine version of the client, or formspec_version must be bumped everytime a new feature is added.

However this approach is better than minetest.get_version()
I thought you literally meant you can't check the formspec_version, but you actually meant it as a general term for the formspec features available on the client

5.2.0-dev is v3, and 5.1.0 is v2, due to real elements. But this isn't particularly reliable when people use 5.2.0-dev versions which aren't the latest. Feature flags for clients would be nice
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well, if you need a system so precise that it's able to distinguish features within the same -dev version, that's a little overkill IMO.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I don't think dev version should have that functionality. It is too fast a target with too many releases to focus on compatibility? I would agree with Wuzzy that that would be overkill and it sounds exhausting to keep up with.

The way I ended up with this problem is because there was a major bug with UDP network packets in version 5.1.0 so when I updated to it I **needed** to upgrade to version 5.2.0-dev on my server for it to have stability. Otherwise I would be running a more stable release of 5.0.1 or 5.1.0 in this public-facing server. Most of my clients are 5.0.1, or 5.1.