[MOD] Ethereal NG [1.31] [ethereal]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

[MOD] Ethereal NG [1.31] [ethereal]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal NG (next-generation) brings many new biomes to Minetest as well as a host of new items and features that spice up gameplay and give players that little something extra to look for while exploring the world.

A huge thanks to Chinchow who was the inspiration behind Ethereal and everyone who helped make this mod bigger and better throughout it's release :)

Make sure you are using Minetest 5.0+ and start a new world (anything but v6), then enable Ethereal in the mods list... To make things even more interesting Ethereal has been designed to work alongside Farming Redo, Mobs Redo, Baked Clay and Lucky Block mods.
Spoiler
ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/TenPlus1/ethereal

License: MIT

Depends: default, farming, stairs, flowers, doors

Lucky Blocks: 58
Last edited by TenPlus1 on Mon Jan 22, 2024 08:31, edited 29 times in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.20]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

coooool!!!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

+1
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

ErrorNull
GitHub: ErrorNull0

by ErrorNull » Post

hey that's cool. i will try this out as soon as i can. so is there any reason why i should continue using the normal Ethereal mod?

StepDevelop
GitHub: StepDevelop

by StepDevelop » Post

Awesome O.o Ethereal is very beautiful mod ^___-

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

by Don » Post

ErrorNull wrote:hey that's cool. i will try this out as soon as i can. so is there any reason why i should continue using the normal Ethereal mod?
This is an upgraded version of the other ethereal mod. If you have upgraded to 0.4.14 then the new one is better for you.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Vince
GitHub: vaggrippino
IRC: Vince
In-game: Vince

by Vince » Post

I've been playing singleplayer on a world set up with Ethereal. It looks like all default:dirt_with_grass has been replaced with ethereal:green_dirt.

I also like the Technic mod, but I think I've found an incompatibility. With Technic, MV and higher machines require rubber from rubber trees. However, rubber trees only grow on default:dirt_with_grass. Since there isn't any when using Ethereal, that means no rubber trees, rubber, or MV/HV machines.

Did I get that all correct, or is there something I'm missing?

I really like the much more interesting world generated using Ethereal, but I think I like the Technic machines more. So, I'll probably go back to a world with a different mapgen.

Thank you.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal does indeed use ethereal:green_dirt instead of the default:dirt_with_grass to stop abm's from default minetest running on an ethereal world using it's own... I will look into technic mod and see if I can request a change for rubber tree's to grow on ethereal dirt.

Update: From what I see in technic code, rubber tree saplings will grow just about anywhere, even on ethereal dirt.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

Very nice.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Update:

- Added intllib support (english and german translation included thanks to Xanthin)

theHalfBloodStanger
GitHub: smeagolthellama

by theHalfBloodStanger » Post

So is this a mapgen mod?
Imam not sure if I understand it.
It is true! God Is Not Dead, He is alive, and king of the universe!

And by the way, Linux is the best OS.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Yep, create a new v7 world and enable Ethereal mod to start a brand new world with all it's features.

Vince
GitHub: vaggrippino
IRC: Vince
In-game: Vince

by Vince » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Ethereal does indeed use ethereal:green_dirt instead of the default:dirt_with_grass to stop abm's from default minetest running on an ethereal world using it's own... I will look into technic mod and see if I can request a change for rubber tree's to grow on ethereal dirt.

Update: From what I see in technic code, rubber tree saplings will grow just about anywhere, even on ethereal dirt.
I'm probably misunderstanding what I'm reading. It looks to me like the sapling will grow anywhere, but the tree itself only spawns on default:dirt_with_grass. So there's no way to get the sapling without cheating (/giveme)

In technic/technic_worldgen/rubber.lua:

Code: Select all

minetest.register_abm({
	nodenames = {"moretrees:rubber_tree_sapling"},
	interval = 60,
	chance = 20,
	action = function(pos, node)
		minetest.remove_node(pos)
		minetest.spawn_tree(pos, technic.rubber_tree_model)
	end
})

if technic.config:get_bool("enable_rubber_tree_generation") then
	minetest.register_on_generated(function(minp, maxp, blockseed)
		if math.random(1, 100) > 5 then
			return
		end
		local tmp = {
				x = (maxp.x - minp.x) / 2 + minp.x,
				y = (maxp.y - minp.y) / 2 + minp.y,
				z = (maxp.z - minp.z) / 2 + minp.z}
		local pos = minetest.find_node_near(tmp, maxp.x - minp.x,
				{"default:dirt_with_grass"})
		if pos ~= nil then
			minetest.spawn_tree({x=pos.x, y=pos.y+1, z=pos.z}, technic.rubber_tree_model)
		end
	end)
end
I should also mention that I was using the More Trees mod. This mod isn't as important to me as Technic, but Technic does defer to it for rubber tree generation. More Trees rules are a lot more specific regarding sapling growth and tree spawn locations.

From moretrees/biome_defs.lua

Code: Select all

moretrees.rubber_tree_biome = {
	surface = "default:dirt_with_grass",
	avoid_nodes = moretrees.avoidnodes,
	avoid_radius = 10,
	seed_diff = 338,
	min_elevation = -5,
	max_elevation = 5,
	near_nodes = {"default:water_source"},
	near_nodes_size = 15,
	near_nodes_count = 10,
	temp_min = -0.15,
	rarity = 75,
	max_count = 10,
}
Before I looked at the code, I spent a full day (real day, not in-game day) trying to find a rubber tree on my Ethereal world :(

Thank you.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

MoreTree's isn't compatible with Ethereal mod, although changing the above line to:

surface = "ethereal:green_dirt",

... would help a lot.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Nice to see this thing still kicking. Thanks, TenPlus1

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Hello,

Is mobs redo (and all mobs redo supported creatures) incompatible with Ethereal NG 1.20 or is there some setting i am missing to make them compatible ?

I've been waiting and walking around for 3 days and 2 nights in banana jungle and have not seen a single creature, and no creature is mentionned as spawned in the console either.
using mods :
ambience (the server optimised version by you)
ethereal (NG 1.20)
mobs/mobs_animal/mobs_monsters/mobs_NPC (all parts of mobs redo)
all the parts of mobs_water (the version working with mobs redo of course)
nether
nssm (your version compatible with mobs redo)

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Robsoie: are you running the mobs api mod as well ? Animals tend to spawn only during daytime hours but they do spawn, just ran around an ethereal map with all mob enabled.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

by mobs api, i assume you're talking about the "mobs_redo" mod, if that's it, indeed i am running it, all the mobs redo files are enabled.
On non-ethereal world , animals and monsters have been spawning as they should, it's only on my ethereal world that i have seen nothing during all those days.

Unless it's a "banana jungle" only problem, as i have not yet spent much time on other biomes but after digging into the lua files , i have noticed that may be the explanation :

apparently what i call a "banana jungle" in my "selfspeak" is "ethereal.grove" that is made of "ethereal:grove_dirt"

And if i look at the mobs_monsters and mobs_animal , in their corresponding lua, out of the kitten, none of them has in their mobs:register_spawn line the "ethereal:grove_dirt" location

I wonder if i missed a kitten due to the size of those grasses too, i'll have to re-explore it for a few days.

EDIT : it was a combinaison of that and very likely bad luck regarding the kitten spawn chance.
After walking around a banana jungle again for the day and not seeing anything, i quit , edited the kitten spawn chance from 22000 to 220
And here the little guy came :
http://i.imgur.com/bPEvCSI.jpg

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Mobs are biome specific when Ethereal is in use and you can edit your minetest.conf (or the source) to change spawn chance of any mob to help spawn more :)

TenPlus1

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.21]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Updates to 1.21:

- New sapling height check added, so now you need clear space above to grow into tree (depending on height)
- Bonemeal changed to suit new height check, and as always some fixes and tweaks :)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

I always found it sad that to have all them strange flowers in a garden one has to take each one of them from some landscape.

Could we have the bonemeal to also work on flowers and other plants taken from the wild?
Hitting some none default flower with bonemeal could make two more of the same kind grow near by.
Or putting one in the crafting grid could yeald some seeds - oops that might colide with some dyes.
Maybe planting them on wet farming soil could multiply them.

Whatever, some way of using them for decorative gardens without making them extinct in the wild would be nice.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Bonemeal used on grass or dirt will grow a patch of long grass with flowers dotted inbetween, also flowers spread on their own :)

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Bonemeal used on grass or dirt will grow a patch of long grass with flowers dotted inbetween, also flowers spread on their own :)
not them flowers,

the others :-D
like these
Attachments
screenshot_20160714_160112.png
screenshot_20160714_160112.png (368.52 KiB) Viewed 15345 times
some_Ethereal_plants.png
some_Ethereal_plants.png (7.57 KiB) Viewed 15345 times

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ahh, those are special flowers I got permission to use on Xanadu server from minecraft plants megapack authors... They spawn in their own biomes but will not appear in bonemeal flowers, they are rare so that players collect them :)

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:Ahh, those are special flowers I got permission to use on Xanadu server from minecraft plants megapack authors... They spawn in their own biomes but will not appear in bonemeal flowers, they are rare so that players collect them :)
and yes, they do spread on their own (but unlike farming crops, they won't spread if you're not there)