[MOD] Ethereal NG [1.31] [ethereal]

RickyThunderfox
In-game: RickyFT

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.26] [ethereal]

by RickyThunderfox » Post

does this mod interfere with the underground mods?

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

distantkay wrote:Patch 1.15 says "changed how Crystal Spikes reproduce" and I cannot find information on how to do this.

On the fourth page of this topic, member firefox said
firefox wrote:
Chem871 wrote:Tenplus1, do crystal spikes multiply? Are they farmable?
crystal spikes are frozen plants ;)
the blue shrubs that can be found in frozen biomes will spread over dirt like other grasses and flowers.
and if they grow on the blue dirt, they will eventually freeze.
(likewise, red shrubs will bloom fire flowers if they grow in a suitable environment)
but this method did not work for me.
If someone knows how to do this, tell me please. If there is such a way)

Thanks
secret ninja art of source code analysis: eye of the coder!
*poof*

if i got this right, then light level 13+ is required for the transformation to work.
then it checks the surrounding nodes within a 5x5 area. if there 4+ blue shrubs within that area, and the the grass below and on the 4 adjacent nodes is blue, and there are no crystal spikes on those adjacent nodes, then the blue shrub will transform into a crystal spike.

so a certain density of shrubs is required, and once a crystal has grown, the neighbouring shrubs cannot become crystals until that crystal is harvested.
this was implemented to prevent blue shrubs from going extinct by transforming before they could spread.
RickyThunderfox wrote:does this mod interfere with the underground mods?
glowing mushrooms are placed above exposed coal ore down to -3000.
as long as underground mods don't do the same, there is no interference.
although cave biomes that cover the cave floor will prevent the shrooms from being placed when they cover the coal ores.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

distantkay
In-game: distantkay

by distantkay » Post

firefox wrote: secret ninja art of source code analysis: eye of the coder!
*poof*
if i got this right, then light level 13+ is required for the transformation to work.
then it checks the surrounding nodes within a 5x5 area. if there 4+ blue shrubs within that area, and the the grass below and on the 4 adjacent nodes is blue, and there are no crystal spikes on those adjacent nodes, then the blue shrub will transform into a crystal spike.

so a certain density of shrubs is required, and once a crystal has grown, the neighbouring shrubs cannot become crystals until that crystal is harvested.
this was implemented to prevent blue shrubs from going extinct by transforming before they could spread.
Your discovery is incredibly amazing!
It is a pity that my level of English does not allow me to answer in detail.
It really works and I will explore the conditions. Thank you so much friend!

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added sponges to undersea coral areas
- Place wet sponges in furnace to dry for re-use
- Can soak up to a 3x3x3 area around sponge
- Dry sponges can be used as fuel

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: Update:

by firefox » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:- Added sponges to undersea coral areas
who lives in a pinapple under the sea?
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

runs

Re: Update:

by runs » Post

firefox wrote:
TenPlus1 wrote:- Added sponges to undersea coral areas
who lives in a pinapple under the sea?
I know it!!
SPONGEBOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-d

TenPlus1

Updated to Version 1.27:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added etherium ore and dust to floating red stone biomes
- Added new dry dirt to savanna biomes
- Added 5.x decoration to specific biomes
- Use default grass abm's

T6C
In-game: T6C

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.27] [ethereal]

by T6C » Post

Just installed Ethereal mod using a Carpathian map (v7 is a little too unrealistic for me), and I'm really digging it so far. Nice work! A couple questions, just so I'm sure a couple things are by design, and not bugs...
  1. All the beaches are quicksand—all the beaches. Every sand block that touches water is quicksand, making it very difficult to get out of the water. I've swam along thousands of blocks of coastline, and the whole thing is quicksand.
  2. The minimap is disabled. I have it enabled in the game settings, but when I press F9, I'm told it's disabled by the mod (Ethereal is the only mod I have installed). Is this by design?

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

The minimap is disabled by the 'map' mod within Minetest_game. You need the map:mapping_kit item to use the minimap, or delete the map mod.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

T6C

by T6C » Post

Aha! Got it; thanks. This must be a "new" feature in v5.x, because when I played v0.4.15, the minimap was always available right from world creation. I'll leave it enabled, since I think needing to craft your own map adds a bit more fun to the game.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

typo on "default:sand"

Code: Select all

./ethereal/mapgen.lua:155:add_biome("grassy_ocean", nil, "defaut:sand", 2, "default:gravel", 1,
should be

Code: Select all

./ethereal/mapgen.lua:155:add_biome("grassy_ocean", nil, "default:sand", 2, "default:gravel", 1,
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

T6C

by T6C » Post

FreeGamers wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 07:29
typo on "default:sand"
If I make this change, will it fix the current world, or will I need to create a new one for it to take effect?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks for noticing bug, git updated and change will take effect in any new area of map created :)

uwu

by uwu » Post

I'm thinking about adding this to my server. It runs the valleys mapgen with caverealms-lite. Will it work?
I tested it briefly on a new world and the only issue was tree bases sometimes overhanging on a tall cliff.

Bastrabun

by Bastrabun » Post

I also run ethereal, valleys and caverealms-lite. It's awesome. Such things also happen on v7, although less often, because the terrain feels "flatter". Totally unrelated: Thank you, Tenplus1.
Whatever I say is CC0

uwu

by uwu » Post

Got a question for TenPlus1:
When disabling biomes in settings.conf, for example "ethereal.mesa = 0" so that redwood doesn't spawn, it's still registered in the game. Would it be possible to make the registering function respect settings.conf so it doesn't register items that aren't spawned in the game?
Or is that intentional so that maps don't break when you experiment with enabling/disabling biomes so you don't end up with unknownnode all over the place?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The mapgen takes into account disabled biomes and will not register a decoration or schematic if that biome is disabled, although the nodes themselves will still be registered and available.

uwu

by uwu » Post

I just tested a new world with "ethereal.mesa = 0" in creative mode, but redwood still shows up in the inventory.

The reason I ask is because when I'd add this to a server and an item shows up in the craft guide that isn't in the world, it would be confusing for players.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@uwu - that's how it's intended, the settings remove the biome and decoration (plants, trees) but the nodes remain.

uwu

by uwu » Post

okay, thanks!

T6C

by T6C » Post

I've been farming onions for a while now. I think these are Ethereal-mod-specific, since I didn't see them before installing Ethereal mod. What can I do with them—just eat them raw? Are there any crafting recipes like onion soup? I've tried combining onions with bowls, more onions, other foods, etc. in the crafting table, but I can't get them to result in anything.

More generally, is there an Ethereal mod instruction manual or anything out there? I read the README.md file, but that didn't give much info in terms of how to use things.

Mods I have installed:
  • Ethereal NG
  • Advanced Trains

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

I think you'll want to install farming redo by the same author for recipes.

Don't think there is an instruction manual other than looking ingame at crafting recipes (add a mod like unified inventory or craftguide) or at the code directly.

T6C

by T6C » Post

I just noticed that Ethereal is available via Aptitude under the package name minetest-mod-ethereal. Is this a good place to get the mod, or should I download it myself from notabug.org?

Edit: I just noticed that any willow stairs I had placed (all three types of stair blocks) now show up as a pink "unknown node." Know what might be causing this? I installed Ethereal from Aptitude, not from notabug.org. Could this be the cause?

Context
My Linux install melted down last night (along with my sanity; thanks Google...jerks), and I'm in the process of re-installing Minetest. I found the following packages on Aptitude...
  • minetest (buster-backports)
  • minetest-data (buster-backports)
  • minetest-mod-moreblocks (buster)
  • minetest-mod-moreores (buster)
  • minetest-mod-pipeworks (buster)
  • minetest-mod-mesecons (buster)
  • minetest-mod-ethereal (buster)
I didn't see the other mods I had previously installed, such as advtrains, farming redo, and crafting guide.

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

I would really install everything from github/source/notabug, no idea how well maintained or fresh those packages are.

uwu

by uwu » Post

T6C, you can see which mod an item came from by pointing at it, hitting F5 and looking at the item string on the top right, after "pointed: ".
And I agree with acidzebra, you should install mods yourself. Having one set of mods provided by a system package and another set downloaded by yourself will only lead to headaches.