In-game: TenPlus1

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.27] [ethereal]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal seed thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25531

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

After testing and getting stuck in the quicksand, I binned a few test maps and bining them I was left with only one which was just 6 random numbers. I still have it, but didn't post here to prevent going off topic. It was just a simple "181299" and didn't think it was worth sharing (outside a PM) but will send it to the other thread anyway. I started of on an Island surrounded by water.
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

My usual test map is simple the seed: test

T6C
In-game: T6C

by T6C » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 17:41
Shroom caps only decay when you dig a mushroom trunk within 3 blocks of them and there are no other trunks nearby.
I saw this comment a few days ago, and I had to test it, since I've never seen shroom caps decay. I went to a shroom biome and found a mushroom tree that was all alone. Then, I removed all the trunk blocks, but the caps and the mushroom pores never decayed. They just stayed there floating above the ground without their trunk.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 15:18
My usual test map is simple the seed: test
We live and learn, I though it was numbers only :-) I wonder what my forum name or real name will give as a result!

T6C

by T6C » Post

Steamed_Punk wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 16:54
I wonder what my...real name will give as a result!
Let's hope you have better luck than I did. My real name crashed the game! LOL

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

T6C wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 17:01
Steamed_Punk wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 16:54
I wonder what my...real name will give as a result!
Let's hope you have better luck than I did. My real name crashed the game! LOL
On V7 it actually gave me a sweet river running between to cliffs and immediately I saw one of those cave things at water level with a chest inside. So I took a jump :D
At first I though it was one of those dreadful bugs you get in MC where a whole chunk is missing but no, I looks cool.
My user name here dropped me in a nice cross section of biomes with see and rivers around. Oh and it dropped me down a hole as well (about 5 or 6 nodes deep).

EDIT:
I have just tried you user name. If you want Islands then use TenPlus1.

HighPopes
GitHub: HighPopes

by HighPopes » Post

The paper crafting recipe doesn't work. I think I have default bamboo and not ethereal bamboo. Minetest version 5.3

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

2x3 bamboo = 6x paper :)

LuucRijnboutt
GitHub: LuucRijnboutt

by LuucRijnboutt » Post

Your add_biome and register_biome in biomes.lua has some information missing.

My problem was that dungeons were created without the alt. node of mossy cobblestone. After creating several worlds with some mods disabled, i found out it was ethereal that messed it up. After some further investigation i saw that mapgen.lua in the minetest_game\mods\default directory has significant changes in version 5.
In every register_biome there are 3 nodes defined for node_dungeon ,node_dungeon_alt and node_dungeon_stair.
In biomes.lua in ethereal there is a minetest.clear_registered_biomes() and a redefine of the biomes.
But since the 3 dungeon assignments are not in the add_biome or register_biome statements mossy cobblestone was never used as alternative node.
I had a quick and dirty programming solution by adding :
node_dungeon = "default:cobble",
node_dungeon_alt = "default:mossycobble",
node_dungeon_stair = "stairs:stair_cobble",
in -- helper function
local add_biome = function(a, l, m, n, o, p, b, c, d, e, f, g)

For me that works fine now, but it sets the same nodes for every biome.

Perhaps this is something you might want to change in the future, the re-definitions of the biomes.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks for noticing :) Ethereal has been updated on Notabug and ContentDB.

LuucRijnboutt
GitHub: LuucRijnboutt

by LuucRijnboutt » Post

I saw, you are quick with responding, thank you :)

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added Blue Marble to Grey biome
- Added Blue Marble Tile (9x Blue Marble)
- Added Blue Marble Tile Stairs
- Added new Lucky Blocks :)

fattywompus
IRC: fattywompus

by fattywompus » Post

Firstly thanks for such a beautiful and well running mod. I feel bad even asking how to change something, but after browsing the forum for the best, most light weight way to get some diversity on top of MT game I feel like Ethereal is the best place to start. That being said I'm wondering what I can tweak and dial in a bit to my own taste. I'm new to minetest modding and an amateur coder at best but a long time dabbler and not averse to learning. So my questions:

1. Is it possible to put collision back on the leaves and make them walkable? I miss tree climbing occasionally and also building in the trees. So I stumbled across this line:
walkable = ethereal.leafwalk
in leaves.lua but not sure what to do with it, or even if me tinkering with it would have any desirable result.
2. If tweaking the leaves is an option that can be done without breaking everything is there any way to revert to the block style leaves? Just a minor preference thing and I'm wondering if you didn't switch to the X style because it was more light weight. Just thought I'd ask
3. If I wanted to make trees taller, and possibly broader as well but more interested in height, is that a possibility? Trees in general but if it's a lot of work per-tree the redwoods and maybe jungle trees would be my primary targets. Is there a reason nobody does this like lag or something?
4. I've seen vines growing on some default trees but never on jungle trees despite having encountered a lot of jungle trees... Is that just because I haven't run into it or is it not something that happens? And would it be possible to get the vines to grow on jungle trees?
5. Is there a way to make healing trees a bit more rare? With mapgen v7 making so many high spires it seems healing trees are more plentiful than they should be. Like if there's a peak up around cloud height, which seem to be 10-15 minute walk in any given direction, and it's not desert climate there will definitely be at least one healing tree there. I like the high peaks and crazy landscapes mind you. And possibly I've just had dumb luck with mapgen but it feels like they should be more of a rarity. Another thought would be to keep the trees as plentiful as they are but maybe decrease how many golden apples they produce, or slow down the rate?

Thanks for your time and an awesome mod. Any help as far as what's possible through minor tweaks and edits, what files I should be looking for, what would be too arduous to change is all much appreciated as well.

I'm using Minetest 5.3.0 on windows for testing mods with Ethereal 1.27 (pre Dec 2 update) and ubuntu server with minetest-server 5.1.1

Edit: question about golden apples

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@fattywompus, if you rename the settings.conf_example file to settings.conf and change the leafwalk variable to true then you will be able to walk on leaves once more :)

As for making tree's taller, you would have to edit the schematic tables for each one so it's not possible for now, the vines were just added to the swamp biome to have players search to get them.

Making healing tree's rarer is a matter of editing the decoration settings, edit the schems.lua file and goto line 71 and change 0.01 to 0.001 to make it a lot rarer :)

TenPlus1

Updated to Version 1.28:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added Mediterranean biome with Lemon and Olive trees (thanks Felfa)
- Added Candied Lemon (baking tray, lemon, sugar)
- Added Olive Oil (juicer, 6x olives)

Notice: Updated Bonemeal mod to support new saplings :)

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.28] [ethereal]

by freshreplicant » Post

Glad to see this brilliant mod continues to see updates.

I would love to see the fishing mechanic see a little more love, especially if a bobber mechanic or something else was added so that you could cast out and chill out will you wait for a bite. This more relaxed experience would go so well with a mod that adds such diverse and wonderful scenery. Right now Ethereal fishing seems to involves lots of clicking with no feedback that you've cast your line, unless you happen to get a bite. You'd be forgiven for thinking the rod is broken. Different fish could also maybe be connected to different biomes to give you reasons to explore.

This mod incorporates a bobber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxa_7FF6KpU

If it's out of scope of Ethereal itself, I'd love a separate 'Ethereal Fishing Experience' mod. Since there's fishing rods in the mod though, it'd be great to upgrade their functionality.

T6C

by T6C » Post

Nice work, TenPlus1! :D I love this mod.

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

with a mod like this (one that affects mapgen) do you need to start a new world for the update to take effect, or you can get a chance to get the new biomes generated in unexplored areas?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Once the mod is enabled any new areas of map will start generating Ethereal biomes, although going from the default biomes to ethereal may cause some glitches inbetween.

Chrysolite Azalea
GitHub: ChrysoliteAzalea

by Chrysolite Azalea » Post

I just want to ask... does Ethereal tamper with firefly generation? I walked outside on a night and have not met a single firefly. I can still place them in the creative, but I don't see them being generated natively.
cdb_JQUaRqvA1Vho

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Nope, butterflies and fireflies are supported in ethereal mapgen: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/ethereal/s ... r.lua#L626

Chrysolite Azalea

Thank you! I just live in prairies in my Ethereal world. That's why I see no fireflies at night.

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
cdb_JQUaRqvA1Vho

Chrysolite Azalea

I wonder, why are leaves made unwalkable on some servers. Is there any reason to do it?
cdb_JQUaRqvA1Vho

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

There's a setting to make leaves walkable or not:

https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/ethereal/s ... pes.txt#L2