In-game: TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Recuced fishing rod out of bounds to 15
- Bobbers should no longer float in air

sangeet

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.29] [ethereal]

by sangeet » Post

There is a small mistake in fences.lua, which blocks willow fences.

Now there is:
add_fence("willow", "willow", "Willow", "ethereal_willow_wood")

Should be changed to:
add_fence("willow", "willow_wood", "Willow", "ethereal_willow_wood")

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thanks sangeet :) recipes fixed and git / contentdb updated :)

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Added giant redwood sapling and recipe (2x redwood = 1x giant redwood)
- Updated bonemeal mod to add new sapling

Ghaydn
In-game: ghaydn

by Ghaydn » Post

Is it nessesary that light staff use minetest.swap_node? If not, could you please change it to minetest.set_node? Swapping is a bit overkill, because it doesn't trigger node callbacks, such as on_construct.

And, btw, this code will simplify adding new nodes for the light staff:

Code: Select all

-- Staff of Light (by Xanthin)
ethereal.lightstaff_recipes = {
	["nether:rack"] = "nether:glowstone",
	["nether:rack_deep"] = "nether:glowstone_deep"
}

minetest.register_tool("ethereal:light_staff", {
	description = S("Staff of Light"),
	inventory_image = "ethereal_light_staff.png",
	light_source = 13, -- used by other mods
	wield_image = "ethereal_light_staff.png",
	sound = {breaks = "default_tool_breaks"},
	stack_max = 1,
	on_use = function(itemstack, user, pointed_thing)

if pointed_thing.type ~= "node" then
			return
		end

local pos = pointed_thing.under
		local pname = user:get_player_name()

if minetest.is_protected(pos, pname) then
			minetest.record_protection_violation(pos, pname)
			return
		end

local node = minetest.get_node(pos).name
		local def = minetest.registered_nodes[node]
		local stone = def and def.groups and def.groups.stone and def.groups.stone == 1
		if stone then 

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = "ethereal:glostone"})

itemstack:add_wear(65535 / 149) -- 150 uses

return itemstack
		end
		if ethereal.lightstaff_recipes[node] then

minetest.set_node(pos, {name = ethereal.lightstaff_recipes[node]})

itemstack:add_wear(65535 / 149)

return itemstack
		end
	end
})
Nobody understands me... — вРН БШ ЯЙЮГЮКХ?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Ghaydn - Good point, I only use swap_node for speed, so I've tweaked the light staff, used your table idea and have it using set_node instead :) thanks.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

I'm curious if there's anything that gives an in-depth guide to the many biomes present in Ethereal? It's a pretty large mod, so it's not easy for one to get familiar with each biome, and I hadn't found anything on the web that could act as a descriptive biome guide.
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 05:43
This might help BluetangsRock - https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/ethereal/s ... nf_example
This does help quite a bit, Thank you
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- Fixed biome checks when disabling biomes in settings (thanks hlqkj)
- Tidied some code :P

Josselin2
GitHub: axcore
In-game: Josselin

by Josselin2 » Post

I noticed a few bugs/typos/inconsistencies in version 20220105. I don't have a notabug account, so I'll just dump them here, with apologies for anything which is not actually a bug/typo:
  • In the definition for "ethereal:paper_wall", there is an .inventory_image_image field, which is surely a typo for .inventory_image
  • In crystal.lua, the crystal sword's description has no translation function
  • In decor.lua, the recipe for mint uses "default:dirt_with_coniferous_grass" which does not exist, it should probably be "default:dirt_with_coniferous_litter"
  • In both decor.lua and plantpack.lua, "ethereal:prairie_grass" is mentioned, but it doesn't exist
  • In water.lua, "fire:basic_fire" is referenced but this doesn't exist, probably it should be "fire:basic_flame"
  • In water.lua, the ABM "Ethereal wet dry dirt" converts "default:dirt_with_dry_grass" to itself. Perhaps it's supposed to convert to "default:dirt_with_grass"

Probably not worth bothering with:
  • In fences.lua, the group "check_for_pole" is used once, but never again
  • In decor.lua, "flowers:mushroom_fertile_red" is mentioned, but that's an alias for "flowers:mushroom_red"
  • In schematics/pinetree.lua, "default:pinetree" is mentioned, but that's an alias for "default:pine_tree"
  • In water.lua, comments for the freeze water ABM claim that it works with crystal dirt, but crystal dirt is not used in the code
  • In init.lua, "nodeupdate" is referenced, which was deprecated long ago. I believe that if "noteupdate" is called in Minetest v5 we'll get an error
  • Ice / snow bricks contain a "freezemelt" field, but that was also deprecated a long time ago

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@Josselin2 - Thank you for noticing the above typos, the majority has been changed altough the default:pinetree and nodeupdate one's will remain for 0.4.x compatibility (checks are in place so errors wont occur).

mcaygerhard
GitHub: mckaygerhard
IRC: mckaygerhard
In-game: mckaygerhard

by mcaygerhard » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 09:26
@Josselin2 - Thank you for noticing the above typos, the majority has been changed altough the default:pinetree and nodeupdate one's will remain for 0.4.x compatibility (checks are in place so errors wont occur).
THANKS tenpluy1 you always thinking in real players event only development.. 0.4.16 and 0.4.17 are the most played clients still here..

the ethereal mod is pretty huge and documentation is NULL so i am building a README for

TenPlus1

Compatibility Note:

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ethereal by default removes currently registered biomes and decoration in the default_game and uses it's own, but if you want your own mod's biomes and plantlife to work with both of the default and ethereal mapgens, please add "ethereal" to the optional dependencies only in your mod.

e.g.

in depends.txt add: ethereal?

in mod.conf add: optional_depends = ethereal

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

to clarify the above, the tenplus1 apparently doesn't want to properly fix there mod, and would rather every biome mod in existence optionally depend on ethereal to work around there errors. see the nether mod for a proper example of handling existing biomes. (i.e. saving the registered biomes before clearing them, and then adjusting the existing ones while adding your new ones in)
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@wsor4035 - This is not true, while I could remove default biomes and allow all others it would be the decoration stage that would break compatibility with many mods. You are abusing your power as contentdb admin to force changes that require many checks for many different mods before creating ethereal's own biome list as a new base for which the mod is intended.

TenPlus1

Update:

by TenPlus1 » Post

- wsor4035's biome changes added, only default biomes and decor using them removed.

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 05:26
@wsor4035 - This is not true, while I could remove default biomes and allow all others it would be the decoration stage that would break compatibility with many mods. You are abusing your power as contentdb admin to force changes that require many checks for many different mods before creating ethereal's own biome list as a new base for which the mod is intended.
ContentDB requires mods to be compatible with an arbitrary list of other mods? I cannot possibly have understood this correctly, because it sounds like a bizarre requirement.
to clarify the above, the tenplus1 apparently doesn't want to properly fix there mod,
It's a bit strange that I noticed some marginal typos in ethereal-ng (see the post above) but didn't notice the broken code of which you complain. In fact, if anyone is interested in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it: it behaves exactly as intended.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Thank you Josselin2, I can't seem to wrap my head around it either. As for typo's, I would be happy to fix those if you let me know.

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

Well, if I have understood the new rules correctly, then default and minetest-game need to be removed from ContentDB immediately. Because they clear biomes and decorations, just like ethereal-ng does.

And we can say goodbye to aotearoa, and australia, and lib_materials, and GAEL. In fact, we can say goodbye to any mod that wants to create biomes with a consistent theme, not intended for use alongside other mods with a completely different theme.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Exactly why wsor4035's requirements are senseless.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

In that case you should make it clear that your mod is incompatible with other biome mods.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Josselin2 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 09:01
Well, if I have understood the new rules correctly, then default and minetest-game need to be removed from ContentDB immediately. Because they clear biomes and decorations, just like ethereal-ng does.

And we can say goodbye to aotearoa, and australia, and lib_materials, and GAEL. In fact, we can say goodbye to any mod that wants to create biomes with a consistent theme, not intended for use alongside other mods with a completely different theme.
I'm afraid you haven't understood the rules correctly. Mods are expected to be compatible with other mods - or at least properly document their massive incompatibilities. Games have a different status; default as a standalone mod would be pretty misplaced on ContentDB. Also note that default as a base game mod is supposed to load before other mods, hence the clearing of biomes and decorations ought to have no effect (and should perhaps be removed).
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Josselin2

by Josselin2 » Post

LMD wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:03
Also note that default as a base game mod is supposed to load before other mods, hence the clearing of biomes and decorations ought to have no effect
etheral-ng, aotearoa, australia are also base-game mods that are supposed to load before other mods. Conceptually there is no difference between them and default.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

@LDM exactly, ethereal was meant to be a new base to build up from, but the changes have already been included and any biome mods loaded beforehand will be filtered and made available in ethereal now.