[MOD] Ethereal NG [1.24] [ethereal]

acidzebra

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.23] [ethereal]

by acidzebra » Wed Sep 05, 2018 19:35

DrFrankenstone wrote:This is what an Ethereal map looks like today

Neat! I love the tool, very easy to use, will help a lot because endlessly loading minetest to look at your biome changes is not fun.

TenPlus1 wrote:All ideas are welcome for testing and best results may make it into the mod itself...

I was thinking of using the new floatlands for Ethereal biomes and leaving the current v7 biomes for ground level since a lot of work has gone into changing default biomes, but this would be a huge task.

Ain't that the truth. I've been toying with ethereal + minetest game + 30biomes and building a lush tropical world with snow restricted to just the mountain tops.

ps. thanks for maintaining Ethereal, it's awesome :D

I've been using vertical_blend https://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/a4f41e7bfc6c2d823eab1465258617cb033a452c/doc/lua_api.txt#L6344 to smooth out the "banding" (typically seen on mountains when there is a sharp and 100% straight dividing line between biome borders).

Other tricks I like are having the "treeline" start a few blocks higher than the biome itself, so you have a few blocks of undergrowth before the trees start, it smooths things out more. I'm also trying to establish sensible "border biomes" to smooth out the more extreme climate changes (going from glacier straight to rainforest, for example). I haven't had much luck with that yet.

When I found the vertical_blend setting I also found this for biome definitions, thinking of using that to add polar regions to the very edges of the map (not tested yet):
Code: Select all
max_pos = {x = 31000, y = 128, z = 31000},
min_pos = {x = -31000, y = 9, z = -31000},
 -- xyz limits for biome, an alternative to using 'y_min' and 'y_max'.

atorian37

IRC: atorian37

Re: [MOD] Ethereal NG [1.24] [ethereal]

by atorian37 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17

I started a new ethereal NG world a few days ago on a testing server and find it very nice. Because I don't like the flying rocks of the mapgenv7 I decided to use mapgenv6. What is the difference when I use v6 instead of v7 about the features of this mod?

second thing is: I am looking for a compatible and easy to use mobs mod (monsters and animals) for my new world. what do you suggest to use? Now when at the beginning of this wolrd, it's easy to decide wich one, later it will become more difficult ;)

thanks for your reply!

atorian37

Pyrollo

GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:47

atorian37 wrote:I started a new ethereal NG world a few days ago on a testing server and find it very nice. Because I don't like the flying rocks of the mapgenv7 I decided to use mapgenv6. What is the difference when I use v6 instead of v7 about the features of this mod?

Refer to this article on minetest wiki: Map_Generator

atorian37 wrote:second thing is: I am looking for a compatible and easy to use mobs mod (monsters and animals) for my new world. what do you suggest to use? Now when at the beginning of this wolrd, it's easy to decide wich one, later it will become more difficult ;)

I would suggest you to use TenPlus1's Mobs redo, works out of the box (I use ethereal + mobs redo for testing purpose, easy to set up).

lilo

by lilo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 16:34

Hello,

I'm just trying out Ethereal and have a question about the new trees that have been added.
As I understand it, the trees grow only on the respective soil of the biomes. Therefore, it would not be possible to grow a tree elsewhere, as these soils are not producible or degradable.

In my case, I switched off the mushroom forests. However, a recipe could still produce a mushroom seedling if needed, but it would never grow.

Should that be so or how do you deal with it?

Best regards

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 19:37

Crafting a crystal shovel gives the player soft touch to pick up different soils intact to grow saplings away from it's original biome, plus you could use my bonemeal mod to quickgrow saplings and crops on any dirt :)

lilo

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 14:56

Update:

- Added Bamboo Blocks (3x3 bamboo or 2x bamboo floor)
- Changed Bamboo Floor recipe (now 2x2 bamboo)
- Bamboo Blocks act like wood and can be crafted into sticks

Previous

Return to Mod Releases