This mod adds good-looking, realistic trains to minetest. It introduces rails that make turns of only 30 degrees instead of 90. The trains can be highly automated.
Until now are supported:
- tracks and switches, based on angles of 30(!) degrees
- wagons that drive on these rails and collide with nodes in the environment(they need 3x3x3 space)
-> a steam engine (with smoke(using latest dev)!)
-> a regular green wagon
-> a box wagon
-> a subway train
-> engine and wagon for a passenger train (the 'japanese train')
- coupling /discoupling of wagons/trains
- trains can travel through unloaded map chunks (but I don't recommend you to do so unless you have them automated with ATC, watch the movie 'unstoppable', it is really hard to stop a fast moving train, even with fly/fast)
- head-up display for train speed and nice controls when sitting in locomotive
- signals and bumpers
- switches and signals controllable by mesecons
- wagons have an owner, only this owner can destroy or discouple wagons.
- Automatic train control (ATC) (currently only static commands, but these are powerful enough)
- API to add custom wagons
- doors on subway train that can be opened
- locomotives need coal to drive (and water...)
- more types of trains and rails(electric, diesel, maglevs...)
- better textures
- physics for train collisions (conservation of momentum)
(see also the ToDo-list on page 6)
- Amazing railway automation features. For examples search this topic for videos.
https://github.com/orwell96/advtrains/b ... manual.pdf
- Use the 'track' item to place tracks. In most cases it will adjust rails in the direction you need them.
- use the trackworker tool (doctor who sonic screwdriver) to rotate tracks(right-click) and to change normal rails into switches(left-click)
- to overcome heights you need the ramped rails, place them and you will understand.
- right-click switches to change direction
- place locomotives or wagons by picking the item and placing it on a track.
- right-click a wagon or locomotive to sit onto it.
- drive two trains together and they will connect by right-clicking that green icon that appears.
- punch the red couple icon between wagons to discouple them
For the syntax of ATC commands see atc_commands.txt
Also see the website! (contains screenshots)
A really long train in the station
a steam train
a subway train in an underground station
a subway in a tunnel
Note: Due to weirdnesses, the track database format was changed (for detailed info see the commit message of 328d505). For all trains to work properly in unloaded chunks, you need to walk, fly or drive along all places where tracks are laid a single time. By enabling debug info (Options/Mods/advtrains) and looking for the positions it complains and teleporting there, you can resolve most issues.
It may become necessary to visit all ATC rails and LuaAutomation components and click 'save' in order for them to work again. When fixing LuaAutomation components this way, the code may disappear first, exit form and reopen and the code will reappear (DO NOT click save twice!).
Download latest: https://github.com/orwell96/advtrains/r ... trains.zip
(this contains only the files needed to run the mod)
The latest version may contain bugs and should not be used on servers until it has been tested.
Unpack the archive directly into the "mods" directory.
This has changed!
License of code: LGPL 2.1
License of media: CC-BY-SA 3.0
^^ logo by mbb
Suggested configuration (minetest.conf):
- Code: Select all
active_block_range = 5
active_object_send_range_blocks = 5
With lower values, trains appear out of nothing when they approach.
(I got scared many times when trains suddenly stood in the station on my automated subway map without these settings)