yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.4.1]

by yw05 » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:14
Support for higher speeds would be welcome.
This discussion took place enough times, and, other than the fact that people developing mods for Advtrains would likely have to work around most of Advtrains to raise the speed limit (considering the context that W3RQ01 was asking for suggestions for his trains), the problems mentioned quite a long time ago are still relevant:
yw05 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 13:54
  • From my understanding, certain callback mechanisms have undefined behavior when run across a long distance in a single step. This is one of the main reasons behind dtime clipping.
  • The train HUD may need considerable rework for a speed of over 100m/s.
  • Signals may be set too early, which is a problem for (for example) exit signals.
  • World loading may become a problem for servers. (If you do not want this behavior, please look at the hyperloop mod instead)
To summarize the follow-ups back then (and to address some things I overlooked):
  • The train HUD likely needs rework even before raising the max speed to over 100m/s, due to the fact that the number of digits for the LZB point distant indicator will likely need to be increased, and some modifications will be needed to provide higher precision, if wanted. The horizontal speed indicator will also need to be changed for higher precision at lower speeds.
  • The problem with the signal being set "too early" is related to the problem where, in certain cases, approaching a signal at a high speed may cause the signal to be set before ARS is disabled on the train, such as near stations. Fixing this will likely involve some work on LZB or even the train movement algorithm in general.
  • World loading becomes a problem only when a player is in a train. However, such a player would likely move faster than the server is able to catch up with mapblock loading, meaning that the client would likely not see anything around the train, hence the reason I mentioned the hyperloop mod (which, as I recall, waits for a moment and then teleports the player to the destination instead of moving the player along the tube). This is also affected by other factors, however, so it is hard to give a generalized limit on how high Advtrains' max speed should be raised to while keeping the effect of this low.
Maybe we can try and change train speed to be proportional to Advtrains max speed?
It could be possible to export the max speed variable, but this would have certain consequences if this variable was changed for some reason, unless we use some workarounds to avoid this.

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

yw05 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:42
W3RQ01 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:05
In the last conference i assumed the role of maintainer of all the mods made by MBB posted on github. I migrated them on notabug under my profile. I plan to make some small changes on some of them. Atm some are already aviable on the advtrains supplemental organisation.

Any request? Any idea on how to improve them?
The NY subway wagon might benefit from doxy's line number displays, and that could be extended to some other wagons as well (you would likely need to change the model though if you want to make the display a bit more realistic). Other than that, support for liveries could be improved. I can't think of other things at the moment.
Unfortunatly i won't make any changes in the 3d model but i'll se if i can do something for the textures and the hitbox.
OneUnitedPower

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

yw05 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:03
It could be possible to export the max speed variable, but this would have certain consequences if this variable was changed for some reason, unless we use some workarounds to avoid this.
Make it a local variable to advtrains only accessible via a getter function. Then people who want to run a modded advtrains can still edit their advtrains but naughty mods won't be able to touch it. Train mods can then use the getter and apply a multiply/divide operation when registering wagons. I expect 56i to do the patch himself if he wants it though.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 13:18
yw05 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:03
Make it a local variable to advtrains only accessible via a getter function. Then people who want to run a modded advtrains can still edit their advtrains but naughty mods won't be able to touch it.
*Facepalms* I forgot about getter functions.
Train mods can then use the getter and apply a multiply/divide operation when registering wagons. I expect 56i to do the patch himself if he wants it though.
That was partly what I was thinking about, but I was also thinking about other usecases, such as
  • The horizontal speed indicator for the HUD. I still need to think about this though, and I have not work on the HUD for quite some time now.
  • Speed limit signs, as it would not be particularly sensible to register ones with higher speed limits if they are not useful (although a safety check in the NDB would need to be done to prevent problems). I would leave this as a separate setting though, and I would, for obvious reasons, not implement this before the said patch makes its way into the master branch.
  • (Possibly) the signal aspect selector, for the same reason above.
What I listed above are only possible usecases, though. I do not have much interest in supporting this at the moment.

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Update on the NY subway

I noticed that the passenger wagon uses the cab texture and i think that's why it looks off. I made some small tweaks to the front of the cab, now the NY logo is visible. As for the collisionbox i do not know what to do because the values are the same as in the passenger wagon. Any idea?
OneUnitedPower

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 06:30
Update on the NY subway

I noticed that the passenger wagon uses the cab texture and i think that's why it looks off. I made some small tweaks to the front of the cab, now the NY logo is visible. As for the collisionbox i do not know what to do because the values are the same as in the passenger wagon. Any idea?
I haven't looked at it properly but I think the issue is in the model, it's probably offset from the origin and could be simply moved over in Blender. The main problem though is b3d import/export which is really poorly implemented with most Blender plugins for it (and Blender versions cause problems with this as well), so I can't be sure it wouldn't mess stuff up. OBJ might work since there's no animation but if we wanted animation... I don't even have a Blender version that can import b3d right now.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:18
W3RQ01 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 06:30
Update on the NY subway

I haven't looked at it properly but I think the issue is in the model, it's probably offset from the origin and could be simply moved over in Blender. The main problem though is b3d import/export which is really poorly implemented with most Blender plugins for it (and Blender versions cause problems with this as well), so I can't be sure it wouldn't mess stuff up. OBJ might work since there's no animation but if we wanted animation... I don't even have a Blender version that can import b3d right now.
Do we need to send an email to MBB and ask him if he still has the blender file?
OneUnitedPower

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi everyone,
I'm currently searching some nice screenshots of advtrains for the screenshot section of the new website.
Please post your screenshots of stations/yards/depots with trains in it!
OneUnitedPower

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 07:46
Hi everyone,
I'm currently searching some nice screenshots of advtrains for the screenshot section of the new website.
I dont have screenshots, but I do speak Dutch, so if you do consider adding translations, I'll be wanting to help out with Dutch translations
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:25, edited 2 times in total.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Miniontoby wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:42
W3RQ01 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I dont have screenshots, but I do speak Dutch, so if you do consider adding translations, I'll be wanting to help out with Dutch translations
Translations are currently managed at serveral places:
  • The wiki itself does not have a dedicated system for managing translations, but you will hopefully do well by following how existing pages are written. You can contribute by registering an account there.
  • Translations for the UI of the Advtrains mod are managed by the l10n branch in the source code. You can read advtrains/locale/README.md on that branch for further information.
  • Translations for documentation in code comments (i.e. documentation generated by ldoc) are not accepted.
  • I currently do not (yet) accept translations for the LaTeX manual in the doc branch as I need to talk to the devs on this matter.

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:14
W3RQ01 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a LITERAL TON of screenshots. Nostalgia hits hard so i'll leave you to choose.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

I also made some cab view videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... U91TXmqIYI

I hope this is valuble to you.
Thanks!
I'll select the best photos and i'll add them
OneUnitedPower

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:14
W3RQ01 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a LITERAL TON of screenshots. Nostalgia hits hard so i'll leave you to choose.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

I also made some cab view videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... U91TXmqIYI

I hope this is valuble to you.
Thank you. Can we get a licence statement for those too :)?

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:25, edited 3 times in total.

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I also accept photos of singleplayer worlds. Old photos (2018-2019 era) are also welcomed!
OneUnitedPower

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Hi,

Can someone maybe make a train pack with Dutch trains?

Thanks!

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

[DELETE]

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Miniontoby wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 16:48
Hi,

Thanks!
Something like a VIRM, ICMm, SGMm and maybe a Combino Tram? The double decker trains would be hard to represent with advtrains because there is barely room for a single deck on a lot of wagons, like the players' feet often go through the floor... But if someone made a Siemens Combino that would be good because the same body shape is used in many countries with just different liveries I think.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 17:55
Miniontoby wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Something like a VIRM, ICMm, SGMm and maybe a Combino Tram? The double decker trains would be hard to represent with advtrains because there is barely room for a single deck on a lot of wagons, like the players' feet often go through the floor... But if someone made a Siemens Combino that would be good because the same body shape is used in many countries with just different liveries I think.
If you can send me some screenshots or maybe even downloads then I will see if I like them or if it needs to be something else.

Also I am kind of looking for an advtrains expert for my new Trains server. Maybe you would like to. Join my IRC at irc.ircforever.org #minetest and then we can have a chat about it.

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Miniontoby wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 18:07
Also I am kind of looking for an advtrains expert for my new Trains server. Maybe you would like to. Join my IRC at irc.ircforever.org #minetest and then we can have a chat about it.
Out of curiosity, is there anything specific that you need help in? I am still working on the manual in LaTeX (in the doc branch), and I would like to know whether there are specific topics to cover.

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Miniontoby wrote:

I'll see what i can do.
OneUnitedPower

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:25, edited 3 times in total.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

At least I would like some help with automating trains with informationboards as well and such.

I just cannot get those auto routes with 1 line and multiple trains (I cannot even get 1 train working)