[Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.4.3]

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [1.8.3]

by gpcf » Post

Also, if you're in Germany, you can capture the Taurus locomotive while starting up. It makes really cool sounds.

Edit: We need some variable frequency drive tuning tools. Here's a video of a train playing the German national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV2E66JNKpU
Last edited by gpcf on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

mbb
GitHub: mbruchert
IRC: mBb
In-game: MBB

by mbb » Post

gpcf wrote:Also, if you're in Germany, you can capture the Taurus locomotive while starting up. It makes really cool sounds.
yes its like an instroment
cdb_2fcfab1b41f9

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

OK for diesel engine;
OK for sound for opening/closing of doors

for the steam engine sound while its driving and a wistle sound, you like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9adQFXwrChA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hXVpzlDcuQ+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bA4LrCUGUY

(See other links presents in these pages)
if you want I extract/restore the audio (until we record a real one), you like?

OK for the sound of a wagon when its on rails, but in the last years the wood under the rails
has been replaced with cement (or similar) and now the sound is different...

OK for a sound of a electric engine...

In the next weeks I record/find audio for this amazing project....
If you want, I create one shared dropbox folder: I upload all materials in this folder, you listen if is Ok...
For anything, tell me...

R

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

gpcf wrote:Also, if you're in Germany, you can capture the Taurus locomotive while starting up. It makes really cool sounds.

Edit: We need some variable frequency drive tuning tools. Here's a video of a train playing the German national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV2E66JNKpU

Hi,

for pitch correction I suggest Reatune by Cockos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVd8xpZ6rNU

R

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Codesound wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:Orwell, can you add sounds for trains?
Are you going to add it?
Hi,

If you need it, in the next two weeks I move to record live trains in all the ways:

While pass (useful in many cases);
at the station;
on board.

I use professional audio recorders/microphones and professional microphone shooting techniques and I'm very happy to give my little contribute to this beautiful game (engine).

Give me a list of what you need and I start ...

R
Woo, that's really cool. Thanks a lot
I did not yet look into the youtube videos you posted.
OK...
I would need sounds of trains from the outside and the inside:
- starting / stopping
- driving at low speed
- driving at high speed
- accelerating/decelerating
as far as this is possible for these train types:
- regular wagons without engine, just the rolling sound (1 record of a rolling wagon should be enough, we can pitch it as needed)
- electric urban railway, such as subway
- electric locomotives (Taurus?) (possibly 2 or more types)
- steam engine
- diesel locomotive
AND
- some train horns

But please don't get stressed, if you can't catch something it's not a problem, i might get the sounds somewhere.
@gpcf we can now (finally) pitch sounds, the core does support this now.
@everyone i might not get to continue working on advtrains until october (i can still find time to answer posts).
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

orwell, did you see my comments earlier?
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

@orwell, can you add me as a maintainer on github, so I can maintain advtrains in the meantime?

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

orwell wrote:
Woo, that's really cool. Thanks a lot
I did not yet look into the youtube videos you posted.
OK...
I would need sounds of trains from the outside and the inside:
- starting / stopping
- driving at low speed
- driving at high speed
- accelerating/decelerating
as far as this is possible for these train types:
- regular wagons without engine, just the rolling sound (1 record of a rolling wagon should be enough, we can pitch it as needed)
- electric urban railway, such as subway
- electric locomotives (Taurus?) (possibly 2 or more types)
- steam engine
- diesel locomotive
AND
- some train horns

But please don't get stressed, if you can't catch something it's not a problem, i might get the sounds somewhere.
Hi,

I'm glad to contribute with these recordings.

In the next weeks I give you the audio material with dropbox if ok. I consider these "first recordings" (with some audio bugs for example...). Listen to them and tell me what you think: if ok or not...
If you need help to find loops point or pitch adjustments, edit operations on these files, please ask.

in my little city don't exist the subway. If ok I search free material about it.

soon....

R

mbb

by mbb » Post

I could record the subway sounds With My h2next
cdb_2fcfab1b41f9

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

mbb wrote:I could record the subway sounds With My h2next
Ok, beautiful!

You uses the Microphones installed on it, or use another type?

I set these audio recording settings:
Stereo, 48kHz, 24bit .wav (48kHz I think that's enough because there are no extreme pitch shifting operations to do...)

Then @orwell cut, copy, paste all audio material that hi want and converts all in .ogg (audio extension supported by Minetest)

R

mbb

by mbb » Post

Codesound wrote:
mbb wrote:I could record the subway sounds With My h2next
Ok, beautiful!

You uses the Microphones installed on it, or use another type?

I set these audio recording settings:
Stereo, 48kHz, 24bit .wav (48kHz I think that's enough because there are no extreme pitch shifting operations to do...)

Then @orwell cut, copy, paste all audio material that hi want and converts all in .ogg (audio extension supported by Minetest)

R
i will use the inntern micro in the h2n
cdb_2fcfab1b41f9

mbb

by mbb » Post

here are the first sounds of a berlin subway
https://archive.org/details/berlin_subway_soundsthe door opening ound is not my work!
cdb_2fcfab1b41f9

Parnikkapore
In-game: Parnikkapore

by Parnikkapore » Post

I made an ATC rail guide for any newcomers who are puzzled!
(Video will be online in 6 hours, subscribe to get a notification)
Last edited by Parnikkapore on Sat Aug 05, 2017 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

Why will it be online in 6 hours? Are you trying to make us subscribe to your channel?

Parnikkapore
In-game: Parnikkapore

by Parnikkapore » Post

Not really. The video is set to be published at midnight (local time) for an experiment and the date. In fact, you can time the 6 hours and subscribing is not mandatory at all. It all happens in my sleep (lol). The video should be on now.

mbb

by mbb » Post

hi i have made a wagon :
can somebody help me to make a animation that I can open the doors?
https://archive.org/details/advtrains_wagon_compartment
Attachments
screenshot_20170805_105730.png
screenshot_20170805_105730.png (126.33 KiB) Viewed 729 times
screenshot_20170805_105707.png
screenshot_20170805_105707.png (430.61 KiB) Viewed 729 times
screenshot_20170805_105713.png
screenshot_20170805_105713.png (188.35 KiB) Viewed 729 times
cdb_2fcfab1b41f9

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

Wow. That compartments look awesome! Next: bunk bed compartments that have an animation switching between night and day mode :D

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

VanessaE wrote:I decided to take a look at this mod today, and I have a few comments.

This was done with Minetest compiled from git sources, at the commit for 0.4.16-release (I don't run development builds anymore, usually), with a corresponding minetest_game, on Debian Linux. I am, as usual, using this along with my Dreambuilder modpack (though that doesn't appear to matter).

1) The project is supplied as a modpack inside of a modpack, but Minetest does not support this. Um...where are the actual trains? :-) I did a full clone from git today, but all I have are tracks of a few kinds, signals, platforms, and what look like the individual pieces of a steam locomotive (smokestack, boiler, cab, wheel), but nowhere am I able to find any crafting for the cars or engines, nothing in the creative inventory/crafting guide (Unified Inventory) looks relevant, and I didn't find any posts indicating that I need to download some other mod to get the missing pieces. There are no relevant unresolved dependencies in the debug spew.

2) When placing rails to form diagonals, and ultimately curves, proceeding from one angle to another requires pointing at and placing one rail visibly just under the end of another, at which point they connect properly. I would recommend that you add some "short" or "cut-off" rails that your code would place at the end of such segments.

3) The selection boxes for angled rails are too small - they don't stand out from the underlying nodes (i.e. compare with pointing just off-center, at a node under the rail). Until you make the above change regarding "short" rails, I guess this would be difficult to solve, but if you just make the selection box somewhat taller, or perhaps nest two or three inside one another (concentrically) so that they're visibly different from the background nodes, that would help some.

4) Some nodes have Z-fighting issues. For example, the overlapping rail ties in a switch track (one set of ties needs moved downward slightly), or the overlap between the angled metal braces and the wooden upright pieces in the bumper (those just need scaled slightly smaller, horizontally). The same happens two rails that merely cross, but you would need to create distinct crossing nodes to fix these. I would suggest doing so anyway, so that you can create proper wheel guides and cuts between the overlapping rails.

5) There are some (probably harmless) warnings about accessing a few undeclared global variables: atlatc, advtrains_itm_init, advtrains_itm_mainloop

6) In survival mode, the mod deducts rails when you place them, but then fails to give them back when you dig. Might be related to the game's "creative" privilege.

7) Driving an engine backward into a "wagon" does not halt the engine (to prepare to couple the two units). The engine just passes through the wagon no matter how slowly I go.
Those?
Yes, I did. Unfortunately I only have time to look along sometimes on the forum and can't actively work on the mod at the moment.
@allSoundContributors thanks a lot for the sounds you made until now.
Same goes for @mbb for these wagons, they are awesome!

Seems like I need to fix the attachment system in the engine prior to doing anything further.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

mbb, is that the "rocket" one the second screenhot?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:mbb, is that the "rocket" one the second screenhot?
Yes.

Soon i will update my github of additional things with new mbb`s trains!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

I am going to persist until I get a clear answer to whether this is a bad idea and why or until I get an approval.

My idea is this: There are two wheel sets placed a few units apart (This should be settable), and the actual train (or wagon) is placed between these. The train pivots between the wheel sets. If the train goes up a slope, the train still pivots correctly. The wheel sets do not have selection boxes so that you only select the train.

There would also be small meshes that pivot between two wagons' wheel sets. These would replace the ugly sprites used at the moment

Here is the difference between my idea and the current state: (The one with the wheel sets was edited to show it on the advanced trains track.)

The only reason I heard against this idea is that locomotives would look bad with this.
----- First off, I would like to point out that everything looks ugly at this point with wheels sticking out of the edge of curves
----- My idea would only look bad with steam locomotives. Everything else would use wheel sets.
----- Furthermore, steam locomotives could use invisible wheel sets to pivot while still having their normal wheels.
Another argument I thought of is that it would be very hard to code.
----- This is completely false! The My Trains Mod by jordan4ibanez used this method and it works perfectly fine. I looked at the init.lua and the code relative to the pivoting is very small.
The only other reason I could think of against this is that it would nearly triple the entities used.
----- The train will look much smoother and better nonetheless.

There are many assets to this idea:
----- Trains can pivot up slopes!
----- Trains will not jerk nearly as much. Only the wheel sets will, and they are smaller and less noticeable.
----- The hitches would not have to be ugly sprites. Instead, they could be hitches that pivot between the two wheel sets they're attached to.
----- Train cars could be much longer. They could be as short as two units or longer than even 20 units!
----- Train cars will never have to have wheels sticking off the edge of a turn ever again (as shown in the first screenshot)! (Except for the steam locomotives which can't really be fixed without increasing the turn radius even more.)

Please, read all of what I wrote very carefully!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have four problems with advanced trains other that what I've been discussing this whole time. First is that slopes should be walkable.

Second is that trains (or hopefully wheel sets) should angle upwards when on a slope.

There should be actual crossing rail nodes, but I believe that this is already being implemented.

Lastly is that inventories on train cars (like boxcars) should be able to only hold certain thing if specified. What I mean is the same thing as default bookshelves: They can only hold books. Similarly, I want train cars to be able to hold one or more items/groups (Such as a logging car only holds logs, and a tanker only holds buckets of water)

Did you read the top half thoroughly? If not, then go back and re read it!
Attachments
trains.zip
This is the My Trains Mod. The only code needed is in the init.lua
(25.23 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

I think the author should make other wheels are better than current ones, too, if see on second screenshot. Also, make all wagons and locomotives more longer.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Update 2.0

-Added new trains made by mbb.
-Added crafting recipes for new trains
-Edited modpack.txt file in GitHub

See and download it here: https://github.com/Andrey2470T/Advanced ... dditional-

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

An error when i am trying to join the server with new update:

Code: Select all

2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/user/.minetest/mods/advtrains/advtrains_rocket/init.lua:
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:65: Name advtrains_train_rocket:barrel does not follow naming conventions: "advtrains_rocket:" or ":" prefix required
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'error'
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:65: in function 'check_modname_prefix'
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:113: in function 'register_item'
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:206: in function 'register_node'
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: 	.../user/.minetest/mods/advtrains/advtrains_rocket/init.lua:164: in main chunk
2017-08-08 14:56:49: ERROR[Main]: Подробная информация в debug.txt.
Mbb, what did you do wrong in rockets?

user
In-game: user

by user » Post

Hi mbb,

Hast Du passend zu den schicken Waggons auch eine passende Lok in Planung?

mfg user