[Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.4.3]

Lol1234

Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.2.1]

by Lol1234 » Post

Hi.

How can use dtrack_atc_st to drive to right with a train by the dtrack_sy_l?

Thanks

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Lol1234 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 04:16
Hi.

How can use dtrack_atc_st to drive to right with a train by the dtrack_sy_l?

Thanks
That is not possible. ATC only controls trains, not tracks. Your options to change a turnout are
  • The detector rail, which uses mesecons. Not recommended, does not work for trains in unloaded areas.
  • Interlocking - see my video.
  • LuaATC: an advanced topic, see the wiki pages. You want to create an environment with the commands, name the turnout with the passive component naming tool and then add LuaATC tracks with calls to setstate(<pos>, <state>)). States are: y-turnout: l, r ; normal turnout: cr, st.

Bug report: It is possible to assign two TCBs to the same spot.

Code: Select all

Configuring TCB: Please punch the rail you want to assign this TCB to.
Configuring TCB: TCB already exists at this position! It has now been re-assigned
Configuring TCB: Successfully configured TCB
Afterwards, both TCBs show the same info in their formspecs. If I create sections on either one, it shows in either formspec. Any claim of "re-assignment" is false. Unless this is not a bug, like maybe you could make signal boxes like this as well as trackside equipment? No, probably not, doesn't sound well-thought-out.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

mbb
GitHub: mbruchert
IRC: mBb
In-game: MBB

by mbb » Post

uh, nice things happened here:)
cdb_2fcfab1b41f9

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

mbb wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 22:35
uh, nice things happened here:)
Wb mbb!
A question: where i can download the steam locomotive that i saw on page 3?
OneUnitedPower

hlqkj
GitHub: hlqkj
IRC: hlqkj
In-game: hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

Hello, what's your thought and/or feasibility of having a simplified hud displayed to passengers too?

My first concern was for players boarding at terminal stations, where I have the trains standing for a few minutes: they need a way to see the departure count down in my opinion, as already seen by the driver. I tried to have something similar shown on an LCD near the platform, using LUA rails and interrupts, but its laggy and not so precise.

In addition, an hud displaying velocity during the journey wouldn't be too bad either! Perhaps an option could be to replicate the driver's hud but with all the ATC stuff stripped? What do you think?
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

hlqkj wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 23:03
Hello, what's your thought and/or feasibility of having a simplified hud displayed to passengers too?

My first concern was for players boarding at terminal stations, where I have the trains standing for a few minutes: they need a way to see the departure count down in my opinion, as already seen by the driver. I tried to have something similar shown on an LCD near the platform, using LUA rails and interrupts, but its laggy and not so precise.

In addition, an hud displaying velocity during the journey wouldn't be too bad either! Perhaps an option could be to replicate the driver's hud but with all the ATC stuff stripped? What do you think?
My advice is to talk at ywang, he made the trainhud.
OneUnitedPower

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

Hello, we just upgraded advtrains --EDIT: we were on commit 48787fc1 (that is release-2.1.4 plus the 69/90 connection fix) and now pulled the latest available db9e4429-- on a server and having some issues, I'd like to ask some help to understand what is not working correctly before posting a bug report, if appropriate.

After the upgrade, all the "normal" signals (i mean simple red/green, non Ks: pole signals and wallmounted signals) doesn't seem to clear the train to full speed anymore on green. Is that the wanted behaviour? If so, this is a breaking thing because we relied on this feature to clear the trains speed limit after station sidings (we limit them to 6 before entering the siding).

Also, all the routes regarding those signals shows the wrong setting when I edit the route and click "Show Aspect" in the signal formspec. The signal shows "1| Halt" where it was (and correctly operates) as green. I notice that in the dropdown menu, the text now specifies that green doesn't clear the speed anymore.

It would be a - very - great mess (but still feasible) if we have to re-configure the signal aspects for all of our routes, but if it turns out that we have to replace all of our signals with Ks to have the speed cleared, we would have to consider to roll back and stuck on the old version, which I really don't want to.

A solution could be to add a 3rd option to the normal signal aspect drop down like - "3| Continue with no speed limit" and default to that during the migration from old data? Or I'm open to suggestions :)

Thanks for any help you could give...
Last edited by hlqkj on Wed Feb 24, 2021 14:04, edited 2 times in total.

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

Looking better into the history, I noticed this: https://git.bananach.space/advtrains.gi ... b099f47f10 - Simplify Signal Aspect Table (H#132) [breaks compatibility with signal API]

Seems then that some breakage with backwards compatibility is intended, talking about the "green" aspect not altering the speed limit. However, all of those signals still shows the wrong setting in the route formspec... So I ask: will the next release include some code to address one or both of these issues? If so I would just checkout the current stable release-2.2.1 now and wait for the next one...

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

hlqkj wrote:
The station/stop rail could add extra functionality to update passengers on the departure time.

Another option that already works would be to use the railwaytime functionality, which is regrettably basically undocumented at this stage. For those who know Lua, functions defined in advtrains/advtrains_line_automation/railwaytime.lua are available under rwt.* in LuaATC. e.g. digiline_send("lcd", rwt.to_string(rwt.now()))
hlqkj wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 13:57
...breakage with backwards compatibility...
The breakage with backwards compatibility is for signal mod authors really, not end users I think current setups should keep work as they used to. Here is a patch that addresses the change in behaviour with default signals (wallmounted, lampless and frestanding) no longer de-restricting speed.

Code: Select all

From 92980a2dfb07b266815f8c6bf6a5afa6a9b582b7 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 20:34:02 +1100
Subject: [PATCH] Restore old behaviour: default signals allow max speed

---
 advtrains/signals.lua | 26 +++++++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

diff --git a/advtrains/signals.lua b/advtrains/signals.lua
index 9df2f99..3a3efc4 100644
--- a/advtrains/signals.lua
+++ b/advtrains/signals.lua
@@ -21,7 +21,7 @@ return {
 end

local suppasp = {
-		main = {0, false},
+		main = {0, -1},
 		dst = {false},
 		shunt = nil,
 		proceed_as_main = true,
@@ -32,6 +32,14 @@ local suppasp = {
 		}
 }

+local function gen_get_aspect(r)
+	return function(pos,node)
+		return (aspect(r=="on")
+			and {main=-1, proceed_as_main = true})
+			or {main=0}
+	end
+end
+
 for r,f in pairs({on={as="off", ls="green", als="red"}, off={as="on", ls="red", als="green"}}) do

advtrains.trackplacer.register_tracktype("advtrains:retrosignal", "")
@@ -91,9 +99,7 @@ for r,f in pairs({on={as="off", ls="green", als="red"}, off={as="on", ls="red",
 						advtrains.ndb.swap_node(pos, {name = "advtrains:retrosignal_off"..rotation, param2 = node.param2}, true)
 					end
 				end,
-				get_aspect = function(pos, node)
-					return aspect(r=="on")
-				end,
+				get_aspect = gen_get_aspect(r),
 				supported_aspects = suppasp,
 			},
 			can_dig = can_dig_func,
@@ -139,7 +145,9 @@ for r,f in pairs({on={as="off", ls="green", als="red"}, off={as="on", ls="red",
 					advtrains.interlocking.show_ip_form(pos, pname)
 				elseif advtrains.check_turnout_signal_protection(pos, player:get_player_name()) then
 					advtrains.setstate(pos, f.als, node)
-					advtrains.interlocking.signal_on_aspect_changed(pos)
+					if advtrains.interlocking then
+						advtrains.interlocking.signal_on_aspect_changed(pos)
+					end
 				end
 			end,
 			-- new signal API
@@ -151,9 +159,7 @@ for r,f in pairs({on={as="off", ls="green", als="red"}, off={as="on", ls="red",
 						advtrains.ndb.swap_node(pos, {name = "advtrains:signal_off"..rotation, param2 = node.param2}, true)
 					end
 				end,
-				end,
 				getstate = f.ls,
 				setstate = function(pos, node, newstate)
@@ -220,9 +226,7 @@ for r,f in pairs({on={as="off", ls="green", als="red"}, off={as="on", ls="red",
 						advtrains.ndb.swap_node(pos, {name = "advtrains:signal_wall_"..loc.."_off", param2 = node.param2}, true)
 					end
 				end,
-				end,
 				getstate = f.ls,
 				setstate = function(pos, node, newstate)
-- 
2.30.1.windows.1
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

drixi

by drixi » Post

Hello,
Is it possible to send ATC commands to trains without them passing through an ATC controller or an ATC rail? while knowing the train ID.

what I would like is that by typing a Lua block, the train of ID X stops or starts according to the ATC command I send to it
(another question, how do you get the ID of a train?)

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

drixi wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 09:11
Hello,
Is it possible to send ATC commands to trains without them passing through an ATC controller or an ATC rail? while knowing the train ID.

what I would like is that by typing a Lua block, the train of ID X stops or starts according to the ATC command I send to it
Yes, you can use advtrains.atc.train_set_command, but you need to pass it:
  • The train object,
  • The command to send to the train, and
  • Whether the train is driving in the same direction as the (imaginary, in your case) ATC track (used for the I+ conditions)
drixi wrote:
The easiest way I can think of is to let it pass through a LuaATC track and let it print the train ID (atc_id).

yw05

by yw05 » Post

hlqkj wrote:

I did not touch the passenger HUD code, but (as far as I know) it only shows the indoor display. I have heard of some players who want to integrate a PIS system to advtrains, but currently using LCDs or textline with the departure time is probably the best you can do for now, and there is the scheduling system for that. You would need to (ask the admin to, if you aren't the admin) change the RWT setting to sync or catch up with RL time though.
As for the graphical HUD for passengers, I would consider implementing it in advtrains itself instead of in LuaATC, as it would make things easier to handle (e.g. ATC delays, wagon number).
hlqkj wrote:
I have seen speed indicators for passengers on RL buses and trains, so I think it could be possible to include it. However, I am currently still working on the driver HUD, so that has to wait a bit.
W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:06
My advice is to talk at ywang, he made the trainhud.
I only worked on improvements to the driver HUD.

Update: I think the driver HUD is more or less stable now.
Last edited by yw05 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

Hi, thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate.
Blockhead wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 15:28
The breakage with backwards compatibility is for signal mod authors really, not end users I think current setups should keep work as they used to. Here is a patch that addresses the change in behaviour with default signals (wallmounted, lampless and frestanding) no longer de-restricting speed.
Good to hear, however, in some way it did because of the default signals behaviour with speed limits. I thank you so much for your patch but I'd rather find another way to fix this, like updating/changing our setup in some way that doesn't require me to re-do all the routes: I don't want to break updatability in the future by patching the code.

Also, remember to have a look at the formspec showing the wrong signal aspect configuration in routes. It's a very minor issue but it may lead to some headache if one doesn't realize it...

I know and have been using the RWT API before, but failed to realize how to use it to show the departure time and/or a countdown in an efficient way. What I tried is to grab the train arrival event with a LUA track, and use this info with the schedule_in() to show a countdown on an LCD: is that what you mean?

drixi

by drixi » Post

yw05 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:45
drixi wrote:
Hello,

Yes, you can use advtrains.atc.train_set_command, but you need to pass it:
  • The train object,
  • The command to send to the train, and
  • Whether the train is driving in the same direction as the (imaginary, in your case) ATC track (used for the I+ conditions)
drixi wrote:
The easiest way I can think of is to let it pass through a LuaATC track and let it print the train ID (atc_id).
I was able to retrieve the train ID,
however I can't send the command to the train
error message: "attempt to index global 'advtrains' (a nil value)"
I put the following command
advtrains.atc.train_set_command(426939, "S0",true)

yw05

by yw05 » Post

drixi wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 16:17
I was able to retrieve the train ID,
however I can't send the command to the train
error message: "attempt to index global 'advtrains' (a nil value)"
I put the following command
advtrains.atc.train_set_command(426939, "S0",true)
Three problems:
  • Train IDs are strings, not numbers (although they do look like numbers)
  • The first argument to advtrains.atc.train_set_command() should be the train table itself (i.e. advtrains.trains[id])
  • It appears to me that advtrains is not in the global environment you ran the code in. The advtrains.* table is (as far as I know) not available in luacontrollers or LuaATC blocks.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

drixi:
Sending ATC command to any train anywhere is currently not possible from LuaATC, however it has already been requested on http://bugs.linux-forks.de/advtrains . It wouldn't be very difficult to implement though. I might add it before the next release.
As for retrieving the train ID: one way would be to just print(atc_id) from a LuaATC rail. Or enable the advtrains_show_ids setting, then it's displayed when pointing at the train. ("T:")

hlqkj:
When I changed this behavior of the non-Ks signal, I didn't imagine that it would have such a high impact. My idea behind it was that speed restrictions and clear/blocked should be handled separately by all of the "standard" signals.
As you appear to rely on that behavior, it's probably simplest to just apply Blockhead's fix.
Another possibility would be to place "E" signs to lift the speed restriction.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

hlqkj wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 14:20
What I tried is to grab the train arrival event with a LUA track, and use this info with the schedule_in() to show a countdown on an LCD: is that what you mean?
Yes that is what I meant. It's true this isn't clear enough to passengers on board the train :(. Well, if you wanted the information on board the train you could fire interrupts from LuaATC each second and update the train's internal text display, but it would be less efficient for sure and possibly less safe. interrupt_safe should work in this case.
hlqkj wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 14:20
I don't want to break updatability in the future by patching the code.
That's a good point. I recommend for now that you take orwell's advice and move to using E speed signs ("End" speed restriction) after all your signals. This won't require changing any routes.

If you really would prefer a set of signals that de-restrict speed, what you could do is make your own mod that provides the signals like the default ones but with my patch applied on them. If you take that route I'd modify them so they are visually distinct, with textures if it's possible - UV maps don't always make it so :(. I'm pretty sure (not 100% though) that changing to this new signal type would also not require you to change routes - just un-assign the signal, replace and re-assign and hopefully it works.

drixi

by drixi » Post

yw05 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 18:44
Three problems:
  • Train IDs are strings, not numbers (although they do look like numbers)
  • The first argument to advtrains.atc.train_set_command() should be the train table itself (i.e. advtrains.trains[id])
  • It appears to me that advtrains is not in the global environment you ran the code in. The advtrains.* table is (as far as I know) not available in luacontrollers or LuaATC blocks.
ok thanks, I see

your second remark is a bit awkward, is that what you want me to do?
"advtrains.atc.train_set_command(advtrains.trains112233,"S0",true) "

well, after even if the command is good I couldn't execute it from the luacontrollers. Thanks for your help

drixi

by drixi » Post

orwell wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 21:37
drixi:
Sending ATC command to any train anywhere is currently not possible from LuaATC, however it has already been requested on http://bugs.linux-forks.de/advtrains . It wouldn't be very difficult to implement though. I might add it before the next release.
As for retrieving the train ID: one way would be to just print(atc_id) from a LuaATC rail. Or enable the advtrains_show_ids setting, then it's displayed when pointing at the train. ("T:")
ok, thanks I'll wait for the update then

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 02:29
Yes that is what I meant. It's true this isn't clear enough to passengers on board the train :(. Well, if you wanted the information on board the train you could fire interrupts from LuaATC each second and update the train's internal text display, but it would be less efficient for sure and possibly less safe. interrupt_safe should work in this case.
Uhm... Guess I was on the right track then! :D I didn't think of showing the departure time though, will try that. Would surely be better that fire an interrupt each and every second, for every train in every platform! LOL
Blockhead wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 02:29
That's a good point. I recommend for now that you take orwell's advice and move to using E speed signs ("End" speed restriction) after all your signals. This won't require changing any routes.
This is what I was thinking to do. But... (sorry for the long post, again... please don't hate me LOL)

From orwell's kind reply I am realizing that perhaps I may be doing things the wrong way by principle, in this case it's worth to fix my design flaw. For this I'd like ask your opinion on how to handle my layout, and any advice is welcome!
Besides, forgive me if I still haven't said the server name, that's because I'm not sure if it's allowed/appropriate here? Don't want to do unwanted advertising...

On a train line, I made intermediate stations as sidings from the main line, in other words, the line itself goes straight from end to end and each station along it is a siding track which merges back into the main one after the station. I liked the possibility of using the "line code" to make two services available on the line, that is a regular one that does all the stops and an express one, which only stops at major stations.

To do that, before each station there's a switch along with a Ks signal, with two routes: "straight" and "station". To make things more realistic I thought that trains passing straight (express service) should be left at maximum speed whereas trains entering the station should be slowed down, before taking the switch (cr). For this speed limit I used Ks aspects, that is trains entering the station gets a "yellow" aspect. The issue comes here, because I decided that wall-mounted signals were better-looking (Doh!) in the stations so trains are now leaving those stations with speed limited.

So, is this the correct way to handle the case, I mean to slow down the trains? Initially I wanted to use speed limit signals, but they are static and can't be made part of a route (I want to slow down only trains that will enter the siding).

If this is the correct way (yellow-aspect Ks) I'd rather try to replace all wall-mounted signals with Ks'es. On the contrary, if speed should be totally separated from signals, I'd instead place speed-limit signals all around and stop using the Ks yellow aspect too.

Thanks and sorry again for the post length...

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

hlqkj wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 17:16
So, is this the correct way to handle the case, I mean to slow down the trains? Initially I wanted to use speed limit signals, but they are static and can't be made part of a route (I want to slow down only trains that will enter the siding).

If this is the correct way (yellow-aspect Ks) I'd rather try to replace all wall-mounted signals with Ks'es. On the contrary, if speed should be totally separated from signals, I'd instead place speed-limit signals all around and stop using the Ks yellow aspect too.
No need to apologise, I'm enjoying the discussion actually.

Well, at some point it becomes a bit abitrary and up to how you want to run your railway operation. In real life, signals can include speed information (e.g. american speed signals), information about block occuption (e.g. British signalling with green, yellow, double yellow), and route information, e.g. arrow or feather indicators (none yet exist in advtrains - in theory the route-indicating aspect would be set in the signal aspect dialogue per-route). You need to decide what a green means: does it include speed, or just block occupation? Additional to the signalling, speeds are often inherent to the track area or timetable.

So you could view your operation one way, with block occupation signals only, and say that a green doesn't mean full speed necessarily. Then you would need to define speed limits for the sidings, and implement them in advtrains with speed signs.

Alternatively you could say that signals show speed indications as well, and you continue using yellow Ks aspects or green to show it is proceeding straight. It's worth noting here that in real life only high-speed turnouts, with broader radii and often with swing-nose points can be passed at speed. Then leaving the siding at full speed would need some way to return to full speed. Still, it's up to you as to whether you change the signals to green Ks aspect or use speed signs. If you're using green Ks signals then you're accepting that you've linked the green signal aspect to speed. If you keep using the wallmounted type, then you need a speed sign; you've then accepted that green signal simply means a signal that allows a train to proceed.

Sorry if that sounded more like I dodged your question than answered it! If you want a straight answer, in your scenario I would probably install two speed signs on the siding, and not change any signals. I'm assuming your sidings are unidirectional; if not, install 4. On the entry put the siding speed limit and on the exit put the end-restriction sign. I would justify doing it this way by saying the speed limit is inherent to the siding regardless of what signals are meant to convey. Maybe one day the route-indicating signals I discussed above will make it into advtrains and then I would recommend you using those and speed signs, and a simple red/green aspect otherwise.

Oh one more thing, I hope your mainline is double tracked! If it's not, you shouldn't be using signals in front of the station sidings, you should have a route from the a station to the next one. In this case obviously your only sensible choice for speed restriction is a speed sign since you don't want trains going slow to the next station. This backs up my last paragraph nicely. Well, I think this post all made since in the end, good luck!

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

First of all, thanks so much! Can't say how much I appreciate :)
Blockhead wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 13:56
Sorry if that sounded more like I dodged your question than answered it!
It didn't! On the contrary, that is exactly what I was asking. I love playing with trains but we can say I have below-zero knowledge on how things works in real life, so most of the times I end up doing it my way.

I think I'll add speed signals clearing the limit after the sidings for now. As you noted, the speed limitation is inherent to the siding and hence, imho, static signals are appropriate.

What leaves me in doubt is the limitation before the siding, because in that case it should only apply to trains of a certain route. Need to think at this a little more, because having the express service brake down to a minimum speed before each station (like it would be if I place a speed limit signal in the main line, before the siding) would be kinda ugly to see. I'd instead stick to the Ks signal, even though this would mean again mixing things up...
Blockhead wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 13:56
Oh one more thing, I hope your mainline is double tracked!
It is :) Don't ask how, but I even managed to do a fully symmetrical T-junction on it! And there too Ks plays a role, to slow down trains that takes the cr direction.

Thanks again, till next time!

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

So, today I decided I've been postponing this for too long and finally started doing some rework to the formspecs, for now just the stop rail, LUA code editors and the route editor ones. It was mainly all about repositioning stuff that was misaligned or overlapping, and adding the monospace font style where appropriate.

I'd be happy to share my edits, if you like them and if appreciated of course. If so, just let me know how... I guess a git patch? (still a bit noob at this, and didn't find a way to post a pull request on bananach.space). Otherwise just thash this : )
Image Image Image Image

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

just use git format-patch and mail the patches to ~gpcf/advtrains@lists.sr.ht (a mailing list). And yes, I appreciate your efforts, thank you for helping.

BTW, that "Last punched" box in the LuaATC init code formspec can be removed, it has become pretty obsolete since Passive Component Naming.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

orwell wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 23:37
BTW, that "Last punched" box in the LuaATC init code formspec can be removed, it has become pretty obsolete since Passive Component Naming.
Done. I also resized the buttons as the text in "Run InitCode" was a bit mashed inside the old width, here is how it looks now:
Spoiler
I just sent the patches, hope I did it fine! Thanks for considering this : )