IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.4.1]

by yw05 » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 14:08
Define "sufficent".
My personal reference is CEFR B2.
The only reason why my Spanish keeps getting more "sufficent is because i translate a large article every month.
There are enough places to practice your Spanish skills outside the Advtrains wiki.

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

The wiki is not working for me, it says: "Permission Denied
Sorry, you don't have enough rights to continue."

Am I the only one that has that problem?
OneUnitedPower

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 17:12
Nope
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 17:28
W3RQ01 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 17:12
Nope
ah ok i was starting to be worried about it.

Also Blockhead, you can publish orient express train on contentdb if you want, i won't make big code changes in the future and i consider it to be enough refined to be presentable
OneUnitedPower

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Wiki is accessible again. The problem was caused by a configuration mistake I made yesterday. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

W3RQ01

advtrains wiki

by W3RQ01 » Post

why newsletters have been deleted?

--Edit--
Just found out.
I'd suggest to not assign "traitor" to 56i as otherwise we are doing acts of bullism, he may have deserved it but we won't stoop to his level will we? Just remove the interested piece and that's it.

I'd like to restore the actual news part of the english newsletters and if possible i could take the role of writing it every month.
Last edited by W3RQ01 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
OneUnitedPower

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 15:22
Oh crap...!
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

yw05
GitHub: y5nw

Re: advtrains wiki

by yw05 » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 15:22

[...]

I'd like to restore the actual news part of the english newsletters and if possible i could take the role of writing it every month.
I personally do not think we need these newsletters, to be honest. There is nothing significant happening with Advtrains core (if anything - the last commit to the master branch was in April 2022), and updates to other mods can be put onto the MT blog.

By the way, the "evictionbot" account's behavior is a bit weird, to say the least. I suspect it is a human and not a bot. Among other things, this revision of the newsletters page is kept with a message while other pages are removed, and some references to 56independent are still kept.
Last edited by yw05 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 17:20, edited 2 times in total.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Notice regarding the wiki

Due to a recent incident, wiki registrations are suspended indefinitely. Also, editing pages on the wiki is temporarily disabled.

Please note that there was an account "evictionbot" created today, that appeared to have deleted all pages written by 56independent. This account is a regular user account, by means of which pages were deleted manually. The deletions were not an administrative intervention by me or any other wiki moderator.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

W3RQ01

Some news and opinion needed

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi everyone,

Advtrains Supplemental
I am (again) proud to announce that Advtrains Supplemental organisation released the NY Subway (maintainer roles still missing) and the Freight Train on ContentDB!
Both have received some improvements that have already been merged into master (like the new floor and the model fix for the NY subway, better customizable livery for the freight train), others are pending (like the texture tweaks for the NY subway).
Meanwhile I dedicated myself to adding a first draft of customizable livery to the london subway, it's not ready yet but it can be considered stable and safe to try.

Question
I have privately added a customizable stripe to the japanese train of basic_trains; i sent the patch to orwell with all my work as i am not currently able to send it to the mailing list. What do you think?
Attachments
screenshot_20230118_184319.png
screenshot_20230118_184319.png (686.55 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
OneUnitedPower

yw05

Re: Some news and opinion needed

by yw05 » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 18:00
Question
I have privately added a customizable stripe to the japanese train of basic_trains; i sent the patch to orwell with all my work as i am not currently able to send it to the mailing list. What do you think?
The livery system looks nice.

By the way, why could you not send the patch to the mailing list?

W3RQ01

Re: Some news and opinion needed

by W3RQ01 » Post

yw05 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 20:54
W3RQ01 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 18:00
Question
The livery system looks nice.

By the way, why could you not send the patch to the mailing list?
I don't really know why but it seems that gmail doesn't recognize the mailing list address
OneUnitedPower

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Weird, I can send stuff to the mailing list fine from my gmail, both from git-sendemail and Thunderbird (you need a plugin to enable adding the In-Reply-To headder though.)
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

yw05

by yw05 » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 09:48
Weird, I can send stuff to the mailing list fine from my gmail, both from git-sendemail and Thunderbird (you need a plugin to enable adding the In-Reply-To headder though.)
Interesting. I think Thunderbird has a config somewhere that you can use to add header fields to the edit window. That is how I was able to add the X-Sourcehut-Patchset-Update header when replying to patches.

Anyway, I recall that someone else managed to send patches using Gmail's web client, so Gmail should recognize the address. Otherwise (if it is because of the tilde), you can use e.g. u.gpcf.advtrains-devel instead of ~gpcf/advtrains-devel.

W3RQ01: On a less related note, make sure to configure your email client (or the web client) to send plaintext email.

W3RQ01

Advtrains Supplemental groupchat

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi everyone,
During this period nothing of really noticeable happened apart for some mirror additions (e.g. britsignals).
I have the intention ti make a groupchat on Matrix using element client (not sure if you can joint with another client), what do you think?
OneUnitedPower

W3RQ01

Advtrains Supplemental groupchat

by W3RQ01 » Post

Hi everyone,
During this period nothing of really noticeable happened apart for some mirror additions (e.g. britsignals).
I have the intention ti make a groupchat on Matrix using element client (not sure if you can joint with another client), what do you think?
OneUnitedPower

yw05

Re: Advtrains Supplemental groupchat

by yw05 » Post

W3RQ01 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 18:54
Hi everyone,
Isn't there an IRC channel already?

Anyway, I did some work on the advtrains_doc_integration mod, except it is not (yet) mature enough that I would show it.

56independent_actual

Please remove Brtisignals from the mirror at once; this is a contribution to the Advtrains project, which is formally disallowed by Orwell.

To add my code to the Advtrains community implies value in my contributions and possibly even an unban depending on jurisdiction.

This removal is not based of license rights but basic logic regarding bans; being removed from the Advtrains project yet having a project almost entirely formed of my code be part of it seems to be very hypocritical.

I have gotten to know the codebase quite well. I have now made a possibly-abandonware fork of the project. This will not be released for a long time yet, giving me ample time to perform my own feature additions. As always, the hobby cycle serves to slow my progress on it.

When i do publish it, i warn you now: If you take my code and put it into the Advtrains project, this will be seen as a public announcement of code quality and permission to continue contributions to Advtrains. This will most likely not happen as what Ywang calls "Shitty code contributions" will form the core of the project. You cannot prevent this as i already have a copy of the source code.
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Feb 05, 2023 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

yw05 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 19:05
W3RQ01 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Anyway, I did some work on the advtrains_doc_integration mod, except it is not (yet) mature enough that I would show it.
IRC is for advtrains in general. I think that private group on Matrix would be better
OneUnitedPower

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

yw05 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 19:05
W3RQ01 wrote:
Hi everyone,

#advtrains any time someone asks anything in it (which is rare), the answer is typically silence
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Supplemental doesn't need to host Britsignals. While we have no legal obligation to remove it due to automatic grant of licence, most of its features can be re-implemented by someone else in another mod, and we will respect the author's wishes. Nobody is really depending on us to mirror Britsignals, it was just done reflexively because a lot of mods have been mirrored to NotABug that are considered 'supplemental'. It's still available at the original GitLab and on ContentDB. I'll be removing the mirror now.

Again just to be abundantly clear: Supplemental should be considered a different organisation to the main project, although of course the membership overlaps. Despite orwell being an invited member he has not really participated, though we all know he has very little time these days even for the core modpack which is his focus. Myself and W3RQ01 are the principal members of supplemental. Supplemental mostly maintains train mods especially MBB's originals, but some others like _platforms as well. Sometimes supplemental mirrors repositories to make them easier to find, sometimes it rehosts forks like the maintained forks of MBB's mods.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

W3RQ01

by W3RQ01 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 02:10
. Myself and W3RQ01 are the principal members of supplemental. Supplemental mostly maintains train mods especially MBB's originals, but some others like _platforms as well. Sometimes supplemental mirrors repositories to make them easier to find, sometimes it rehosts forks like the maintained forks of MBB's mods.
Supplemental should be the hub for the Advtrains related mods, i decided to mirror the active repositories (like moretrains) and to migrate old/abandoned repositories into our organisation (like mbb's trains and some others). We do not make changes on the mirrors, the only things that can happen Is that someone opens an issue which we will tell the owner asap.

56independent: we respect your decision, i hope that in the future britsignals will have the chance to have a mirror on our organisation
OneUnitedPower

Slightly
In-game: Slightly

by Slightly » Post

Is there a beginner guide to using the trains? I just want to play with them in sp but everytime I try to look through all the mods and supplements, etc., I'm a bit confused. What is the basic set of mods I need to set up some 1800s style trains on sp? Like what would you tell a kid to download and do?

56independent_actual

Slightly wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 19:21
What is the basic set of mods I need to set up some 1800s style trains on sp? Like what would you tell a kid to download and do?
Have a look at https://advtrains.de/manual/ for the guide on the basics of Advtrains.

Advtrains Modpack + Any train mod will be the standard combination for running trains. Install them from the Minetest mod-downloader to get dependencies (in which case downloading just the train mod is fine)

Use the Moretrains and Basic_trains modpack, which have some steam engines. Have a look at the Train Catalouge for other trains.

Optionally, you can make your own trains using Lua Modding and models (which would have been the theme of this month's newsletter, which no longer exist due to anti-contribution rules, which do not seem to explictly prevent helping users; only helping the Advtrains codebase). However there is very little SEO-optimised documentation, so searching won't help. You'll have to find the files describing functions in the codebase.

To set up a railway, place down a section of track longer then you think you need (Advtrains uses relatively big nodes as metre gauge has historically led to less train usage, see the Santander-Bilbao line, which barely anybody uses). Place a train on the track. Face the direction the train will face. You should have something like 10 nodes of track behind (and in front of) you or you risk the train not popping into existence.

Be very careful around trains; They have been designed to kill people on impact under the guise of "realism". They also LOVE to make your server laggy when they are in hoardes, and sometimes if you do the exact wrong set of steps, they can crash your server (because parts of the active codebase are 6 years old, and show their wear and tear). They are also extremely stupid and do not have any desire to survive; if they are approaching a train, they will not stop (this is something i tried to fix using tram-like drive on sight but it turns out adding such a feature has been made as complicated as desiging a linux distro).

If you ever want/need higher speeds then the snail's pace of 20 m/s as well as some curated mods selected for your usage (including some trains, reversing the damage caused when basic_trains was evicted from its home since birth), keep your radar tuned for the release of 56i-trains.

It will be backwards-compatible with Advtrains with hopefully more frequent additions, prioritising progress ad bleeding-edge development over the difficult-to-achieve concept of "stability", which Advtrains already struggles with, all tested and maintained using the high requirements of the rail network of my server as a testbed (which will take ideas from LinuxForks, a gated community keeping private what used to be one of the best railway networks (there is no way to check save for propoganda on the wiki) in Minetest, using the sattelite map strangely kept public even though players can write personal information on the map (it's too late to remove it; i already have stored a downloaded render of the map and will still steal railway ideas from it)).

Plus, 56i-trains comes with the goal of creating documentation in multiple languages as well as introducing help buttons to allow begginers to achieve a better railway. However, all this will take time and i have other projects to work on, so 56i-trains may never come to meet its goals. However, higher speed support and higher speed signs have already been created (what i like is that i updated the driver HUD to be porpotional to max_speed and it works perfectly fine), meaning you have the choice to allow your trains any speed.

56i-trains shall become public when my CGNAT is finally disabled.
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Thu Mar 02, 2023 22:37, edited 4 times in total.

Slightly
In-game: Slightly

by Slightly » Post

This is extremely helpful. Thank you very much!