Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.3.1]

by loppi » Post

i drawed a picture for you :-D
"ich liebe industrie!" And yes, its a Russian Bulldozer 😁

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Proposal: non-powered wagons should be included in group:at_wagon and powered-wagons (ie locomotives) should be included in group:at_loco to make it easier to find which rollingstock is available to craft from a crafting guide. Currently there seems to be no standard naming scheme, which makes it hard when you have to search for an unfamiliar recipe.
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 14:27
Proposal: non-powered wagons should be included in group:at_wagon and powered-wagons (ie locomotives) should be included in group:at_loco to make it easier to find which rollingstock is available to craft from a crafting guide. Currently there seems to be no standard naming scheme, which makes it hard when you have to search for an unfamiliar recipe.
Proposed patch: #24453
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

loppi wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:50

i drawed a picture for you :-D
Beautiful!
Maverick2797 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 14:27
I suggest groups for the four categories listed on the Train Catalogue:
  • Motive power = at_loco
  • Control = at_ctrl
  • Passenger = at_pax
  • Freight (goods) (i.e. has inventory) = at_inv
none of which are mutually exclusive
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Motive Power: is_locomotive
Control: seat_groups.dstand
Pax: seat_groups.pass
Freight: has_inventory

I'll amend the patch tonight [update:done]

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Patch submitted: Load/Unload tracks to be able to selectively activate depending on the freight code of the wagon
Patch # 24745

Notes:
  • A blank field in the formspec will match to all wagons (default) to retain backwards compatability.
  • Set the FC in the track to # to disable it.

loppi
In-game: loppi Lolstadt

by loppi » Post

anyone who could make this for advtrains? :D

(yes,i drawed it myself...)

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

loppi wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:25

What do you want? A lowly model of a crane? Or do you want it to pick up blocks? What blocks? Is there a mod for these blocks? Is it just a chest on wheels like the tanks?
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 21:18
loppi wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:25

What do you want? A lowly model of a crane? Or do you want it to pick up blocks? What blocks? Is there a mod for these blocks? Is it just a chest on wheels like the tanks?
It's a railway crane. They can be used to move rolling stock between tracks, move stuff from goods wagons on one track to another track, or even place extra railway equipment beside the right of way like signals and TCBs.

You'd implement it as a wagon without motive power, but where the controls operate the crane. The swivelling part of the crane would rotate 360 degrees with A/D and move up and down with W/S. You would then have to make it be able to detect collision from the end of the crane with a wagon and pick it up or something in its inventory up.

I don't see it replacing loading/unloading tracks for bulk loading but maybe for trans-shipment of a few items between trains. You could also use it in a breakdown recovery train, although we don't really have derailments any more.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

loppi

by loppi » Post

no,not moving blocks,but maybe trains. :D

56independent_actual

loppi wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 17:52
no,not moving blocks,but maybe trains. :D
Ah, so what blockhead said: Moving trains between tracks. How would this work? Would the operator have to decouple the wagon and then use the crane? Will it not carry blocks on it's inside? Could you please make a fulllist of features? It could even take several years depending on complexity.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

loppi

by loppi » Post

ok,so,its just an idea,i would be also happy if this were only a decoration.

feature list:
-basic_train_group (german youngtimers)
-the model ist based on a german "krupp ardelt" steam crane.
-only decorative (yet)
-no motive power,but with 3 seats: engineer (next to the engine), driver (cabin), manager (outside on a platform).

:-D

56independent_actual

loppi wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 18:11
ok,so,its just an idea,i would be also happy if this were only a decoration.

feature list:
-basic_train_group (german youngtimers)
-the model ist based on a german "krupp ardelt" steam crane.
-only decorative (yet)
-no motive power,but with 3 seats: engineer (next to the engine), driver (cabin), manager (outside on a platform).

:-D
Nice! Here are more questions:
  • Will it pick up blocks with the crane head?
  • Will it have internal storage?
  • What is it's top speed?
  • Can the crane head swivel?
  • Does it ignore signals?
  • Does it have a mode for ignoring said signals?
  • How much are you willing to contribute?
  • What is the longest amount of time you can wait for it to be developed?
  • Have you any knowladge of the email list at [url https://lists.sr.ht/~gpcf/advtrains [/url]
  • Can anyone who develops advtrains regularly please reply to my feature requests?

loppi

by loppi » Post

-not yet
-maybe
-cranes must be driven slowly,either they can flip,so,it think the speed of the moretrains handcart would be the best (10)
-yeah,that would be cool
-idk
-idk
-i can deliver photos and sounds ,and maybe some textures
-doesnt matter
-nope
-?

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Mon Aug 30, 2021 18:20
[*] Have you any knowladge of the email list at [url https://lists.sr.ht/~gpcf/advtrains [/url]
[*] Can anyone who develops advtrains regularly please reply to my feature requests?
[/list]
@56independent_actual: please wrap your messages in the mailing list. They just show as 1-2 lines of text instead of paragraphed blocks, making it hard to read them. It's tedious to reply to something that's not easy to read.

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

I will hold two Minetest / LinuxForks / advtrains meetings this month, one in Leipzig on the 19th of September, and the other one on the 25th in Dresden. More info and registration under https://wiki.linux-forks.de/mediawiki/i ... vertreffen (in German).

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

gpcf wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:00
I will hold two Minetest / LinuxForks / advtrains meetings this month, one in Leipzig on the 19th of September, and the other one on the 25th in Dresden. More info and registration under https://wiki.linux-forks.de/mediawiki/i ... vertreffen (in German).
Sorry gpcf, I don't think I'll be able to make it to either one! :P

56independent_actual

gpcf wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:00
Please consider making an online interface, either in the form of a microphone, webcam, or microphone-webcam. I would like to be able to listen to the meeting (as it concerns Advtrains, a mod that has a strong grip on my server).

Maybe even use a foss version of Zoom, to allow me to announce my presence on some laptop in the corner of the room.

To make it physical endangers my safety and comfort zone as a short hermit (think of the last time - you almost put visitors in a dangerous position through saying "meet on track x").

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

The meeting will sadly not be broadcast online, since it will be held outdoors or in a public place, like a restaurant and it would be impractical to broadcast it.

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Mon Aug 30, 2021 18:20
  • Can anyone who develops advtrains regularly please reply to my feature requests?
I am not sure what criteria you have for "develops advtrains regularly" but I do remember replying to some feature request as recently as early September.

From what I am told, some people working on advtrains are currently busy. I am currently also not in a good state of being able to work on advtrains (or my other projects), mostly due to personal reasons.

Edit: I just realized that the post I quoted was from last month. Sorry about that.

Edit 2: I noticed that some of my replies did not show up in the mailing list for some reason. Perhaps I only replied to the person who posted the thread instead of the thread itself.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi all,

these days I will try to understand this mod more deeply, to create a more complex structure in the world of my children, but it is very complicated.... I have seen some tutorials found on youtube and wiki but I understand only a few basic things. So I started to create a simple point where the train has to stop at a red light, marking me the various steps I followed (also thanks to the wiki), and I share them here. The train stops (so it works....) If someone is so kind does help me figure out how to make sure that after a while the traffic light turns green and the train starts again....
I would like to help expand the wiki a bit at least in these basic points, but it is clear that I must first understand how the mod works: the next point will be to understand how to set up a simple exchange between rails....

thanks in the meantimed.....
Spoiler

56independent_actual

Codesound wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 05:35
Hi all,

these days I will try to understand this mod more deeply, to create a more complex structure in the world of my children, but it is very complicated... I have seen some tutorials found on youtube and wiki but I understand only a few basic things.
I felt the same when I learnt how to interlock. My suggestion to you is to persevere and read the guide and follow by example.

You have done well so far, but here are some tips for you:

* You should have chosen side A, as that is the section the "traffic light" (please refer it to as "signal") controls.

* When making a route (found when you right-click a signal, you will be flooded by options. Chose the "new route" button), punch the TCB next to the signal and press "end route at next section" (the bottom option if I misremembered the text). This only works when you are on a section with no splits or merges (in any case if more than two TCBs are denoting a section).

* At the ends of tracks, do the same as the above. I suggest you make ballon loops instead, to make it simpler. As you progress with your ability, you can begin to make more complex setups, like my railyard. My railyard however does not work, so I have taken it off the network.

* Always put an asterisk in "ARS rules". Click Save. Unless you have junctions where trains need to go specific directions (which require you to lock points and set routes on different TCBs (in my railyard, I used routing codes based on train length to find whether trains should go in, and it was a lot of pain)), this is fine.

* On single-track sections, put a signal on entry and exit to the section. Please just press "enable ARS" or whatever it is in the signal main menu. However, if you have more than one train, you may end up locking up. I suggest splitting at stations and making a single big section (as in my example. But this is complex. I suggest you only make dual-track networks, like what is in my server. However, if your single track network is a big monodirectional circle, then you have a dual-track with balloon loops at each end.

* When you finally learn the basics and have trains running in a big circle in your network, you can begin experimenting with y junctions (My explanation) (Wikipedia's explanation), and then move onto stuff like t-junctions, and eventually, after much suffering, a junction equivalent to the sprawling railway junction on my server (mostly, it's two separate junctions. One reverses and sends NX1 trains back east, and then the INV trains going south get reversed and sent north, and another just combines IPR and NX2 trains north, but splits them coming south). But it took me half a year to learn how to do this on my server. I started with dual track and began learning how to make cargo terminals.

* If any of my advice stops you from following the guide (linked above), disregard my advice.

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

I posted a summary of the conference on the wiki (please complement it as well). Hopefully it's useful for those who were not invited.

56independent_actual

yw05 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:54
I posted a summary of the conference on the wiki (please complement it as well). Hopefully it's useful for those who were not invited.
Thank you very much. When you consider the next meeting, please, through whatever edits you can, make a video of it in full and put it online. Maybe you hire a lecture hall, and use cameras to help record/stream the meeting.

I would love to have a text interface. Then i can push in my feedback. This almost certanlyimplies a lvie stream. However, if you do not wish to show the faces, you could just use microphones and mumble. I live in the UK, and it is hard to get to Germany as a 15 year old with little in their bank account.