IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.4.1]

by yw05 » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:38
yw05 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:23
Having graphics designers is only part of the story. It should also be pointed out that IR is open source.

Minetest's API does not encourage or force FOSS mods; I am not sure where you came up with this.
It does. How can you make proprietary code when Minetest mods only run on Lua Scripts and nothing compiled? All the textures have to be public. All the code. All the models. All the sound. Anybody can access them once the mod is installed. All the code is free for people to look at.
You could load C modules with the insecure environment (I actually experimented with it back in 2020). Some mods currently use the insecure environment already, although for other purposes.

You could also impose a requirement on the Lua implementation and then load Lua bytecode.

Regardless of specific implementation, you can also create licenses that impose restrictions the distribution of the source code (which also makes the program proprietary according to GNU's definition in that it restricts distribution).

You can also impose restrictions on media files. Non-derivative and non-commercial CC licenses are also non-free, for example, as they restrict the usage and/or the creation of derivative works (which are also part of GNU's definition).
Very interesting. Invisible signals for fully automated railways :p. Can you list what you added as Japanese train signals seem to be the only thing i can (and can't :p) see?
I suggest looking at commit d794e38 as it may be relevant for the britsignals mod.

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

Advtrains on libera.chat

by orwell » Post

#advtrains channel on libera.chat IRC network

Advanced Trains now has an official presence in IRC: I have registered the #advtrains channel on the https://libera.chat IRC network.

I invite you to discuss problems, ideas and all sorts of things related to advtrains in our new IRC channel. If you do not have an IRC client, you can join using the libera webchat at https://web.libera.chat.

If the need arises, we can painlessly add more sub-channels (e.g. #advtrains-devel) for more specific topics.
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:43
The new remote control mod is now on ContentDB following yw05's deprecation of his train_remote mod
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Advtrains - News on MBB/mbruchert's mods

by Blockhead » Post

The news
Good news about MBB's mods and models, which have been in a legally problematic state of being not licensed for a while: They are now licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0! This follows after my private correspondence with him. Also, he has recently changed his GitHub account name to mbruchert - previously it was mbblp. You may need to update git remotes for any of his mods that you have previously cloned or recorded as submodules. Although GitHub may support aliases for a while, don't expect them to work indefinitely.

Email addresses have been redacted to prevent spam but I can forward the email to anybody who asks. This grant of license means we can't expect any copyright takedowns to occur - not that we ever really did, but now we can be sure. All times below are in Australian Eastern Time. Also it means that forks of his mod are now legal and could probably pass the requirements to be put on ContentDB.

First my original email:
2021-12-13 18:32
Blockhead wrote: Hi MBB,

I know it's been a long time, and you probably don't have time or
interest for AdvTrains any more, but there's one thing bugging us in the
community about your old train mods, and it's that they are not
licensed. This means under copyright law we can't legally rehost them or
put them on our own GitHub pages and make changes and improvements.

Could you please license your mods under, say, CC-BY-SA 3.0. Even if you
could reply to this email and say "all my AdvTrains work on GitHub and
Minetest Forums is hereby licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0" (or other
license); or log into the Minetest Forums just once to post that on the
AdvTrains thread. That would really help us out to do the right thing by
the law, thank you.

I hope you're well, and I hope I have made it easy to respond quickly
and move on so I don't take up much of your time,

Blockhead,
Advtrains contributor
And the reply:
2022-05-09 03:38
MBB wrote: I am sorry that it took me so long to answer.

All my AdvTrains work on GitHub and
Minetest Forums is hereby licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0

I hope that this helps:)
What now?
Some one or group should step forward as maintainer(s) for his mods, possibly also adding more mods or assets that are not currently available on git such as some of the ones in this thread. You don't have to git host the files on GitHub, other sites are available - but a GitHub fork would be the easiest to find. Some of the big sites like GitHub and GitLab have organisations. Maybe the advtrains organisation recently formed on NotABug is a good fit for these mods, given how tied to the early (especially 2017/2018) development of advtrains that they are.

You can git commit with someone else's authorship information and an old date - git actually records author and committer separately even though it usually only shows authorship with git log; so you can open a repository and commit with the date of the upload to Minetest forums.

Also, a LICENSE file should be added and attribute the mods to © MBB/Mathis Brüchert (and contributors in many cases), giving the copyright year as the year of the latest commit or the date of upload to forums in the absence of git information.

Finally, this person/organisation should look at getting the mods on ContentDB and maintenance and improvement items (I know there are a few), without worrying about copywrong and hopefully fewer issues around disorganised forks by individuals that have previously contributed to MBB's mods such as myself, Amelaye or or Andrey01.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

Re: Advtrains - News on MBB/mbruchert's mods

by W3RQ01 » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:18
Some one or group should step forward as maintainer(s) for his mods, possibly also adding more mods or assets that are not currently available on git such as some of the ones in this thread.
Rn i'm working on the Orient Express mod of MBB. If none really wants to be the maintainer i could take that place
OneUnitedPower

doxygen_spammer
GitHub: doxygen-spammer

by doxygen_spammer » Post

I found that path.lua calculates the precise position of a wagon from the position in its path, using this:

Code: Select all

vector.add(p_floor, vector.multiply(vector.subtract(p_ceil, p_floor), frac))
where p_ceil and p_floor are end positions of a path segment, and frac is the relative position on this segment.
A segment is typically one track node.

The result is that all wagons move de-facto in straight lines, no matter the curvature of a track.
This is called linear bezier interpolation.

Do you think it is feasible to use quadratic bezier interpolation on curve tracks instead?
It would look like this:

(p_floor + (p_handle - p_floor) * frac) * frac + (p_ceil + (p_handle - p_ceil) * (1 - frac)) * (1 - frac)
(This representation of the equation is not numerically stable, but should work well enough anyway.)

The bezier handle could be precalculated when registering the track node.
It is just the intersection of the two straight tracks that could be connected to the curve.
(Straight tracks do not have such an intersection, S curves need two segments.)

The advantage is that wagons would travel almost exactly on a curve with constant radius (that is the behavior of quadratic bezier for circle segments < 30°).
This will be necessary if longer curve segments will be implemented (https://advtrains.de/wiki/doku.php?id=d ... argetracks), otherwise the train will travel one or two metres besides the track.

Disadvantages are more complex computation and possibly increased susceptibility to lag.
If the bezier handle is not centered on the segment, frac needs to be corrected with another equation.

56independent_actual

Why is Netmapper only producing half-complete results?

http://56i.duckdns.org/out.svg

In this output, we can see some parts of our network, like the quad track to the south and parts of Re, but not the tunnels or Am main station. Generally, rail lines are not complete. What could be causing this?

Provided is also a reference map of the network (which has grown a lot since the square and line previously, even if most of it is planned):
all.billboard.png
PS: Wow... i never knew some track segments were so long,especially the IPR tunnel to NEOM and Pr-w quad tracks. Thank you, netmapper.
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Wed Jun 01, 2022 23:38
Why is Netmapper only producing half-complete results?
Are you using the latest master of the official non-forked netmapper? Only the latest commit supports the latest file format, so you may be only seeing older parts of the network based on the old advtrains files. My netmapper fork doesn't support the newer LuaSer file format in advtrains, although it doesn't look like you're using my version because it doesn't have the TCBs or station/stop rails drawn.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

First come first serve. The track to be occupied by the first train to depart is held reserved until it can set the signal to green, then the second train does the same thing .
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

56independent_actual

💥🚄

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Tue Jun 07, 2022 20:30
Where can i access resources on how to make trains, including documentation on the API and potentially a guide to show the ropes and how and what order to pull them?
Use Pass the Force sauce Luke.
Have a look at mods like basic_trains or DLX Trains as a reference.
Is it possible to make a tilting train like the Pendolino in Minetest? Does it need many models? Can ATC code be extended to control tilt? (TRx to tilt right by x arbituary units, TLx to tilt left by x arbituary units, and TU to tilt undo)

Have a look at this image to see what i mean.
You could probably add tilt to the custom on_step in the wagon definition, checking the wagon's yaw against the track node it's over. This would potentially be laggy so only do this check if the train's over a certain speed. No need to tilt the train when it's stopped at a signal. ATC commands specifically for tilt possibly could be done simmilar to how the doors work.

Construction Train and Technic Train are examples of custom on_step functionality.

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

orwell

by orwell » Post

Tue Jun 07, 2022 20:30
Where can i access resources on how to make trains, including documentation on the API and potentially a guide to show the ropes and how and what order to pull them?

Is it possible to make a tilting train like the Pendolino in Minetest? Does it need many models? Can ATC code be extended to control tilt? (TRx to tilt right by x arbituary units, TLx to tilt left by x arbituary units, and TU to tilt undo)

Have a look at this image to see what i mean.
Documentation on how to define wagons is in fact there, in API.md in the 'advtrains' mod. This also documents the new coupler types.
Lua is great!
List of my mods

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

orwell

by orwell » Post

Sat Jun 11, 2022 17:47
orwell wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 17:35
Documentation on how to define wagons is in fact there, in API.md in the 'advtrains' mod. This also documents the new coupler types.
Thanks. Right now, modelling is proving a right pain:

https://i.imgur.com/tQtGPC1.png

https://i.imgur.com/80T9kEH.png

https://i.imgur.com/X2DByK1.png

https://i.imgur.com/6uuBjs6.png

Is there an alignment scene i can use to put my train in a correct alignment?
http://git.bananach.space/advtrains.git ... c.txt#n137
Also, you can just use one of the .blend files from the assets for reference.
Lua is great!
List of my mods

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

Sat Jun 11, 2022 17:47
Is there an alignment scene i can use to put my train in a correct alignment?
In addition to what orwell mentioned:

Tracks: The track gauge is 886.3 mm, and other dimensions are on the wiki under the dev section. You can import the track .blend files into your own scene: advtrains/assets/blender/gleis/rail_redo_bk_swit.blend is the main file and also in the same directory are rail_crossings.blend and rail_moreturnouts.blend if you need crossings and y/3-way turnouts.

Platforms: The straight platforms are nodeboxes defined in Lua code, so you'd have to copy the shape into Blender manually, but the diagonal platforms are in advtrains/advtrains/models/advtrains_platform_diag*.

Also, export with a 10x scale so that the dimensions in Blender match the dimensions in Minetest 1:1 (default is metres, though I actually recommend mm as your display unit as this is what serious CAD users will use when designing real things).

56independent_actual

💥🚄

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

I have made a somewhat working implementation of distant signaling now, with some support for route signals.

I also added tabs to the signal formspec and slightly adjusted the signaling formspec. The distant signal formspec is currently minimal and only intended to be sufficient for testing (for now).

There are a lot of things that still need to be done: (the following list is not comprehensive)
  • Support for route signals, especially in terms of mixing route signals and speed signals (and mixing different types of route signals), needs to be improved.
  • Repeater route signals still need to be implemented.
  • Support for interlocking/routesetting is missing.
The changes are shown in the attachments.

On a less related note, this is the current testing coverage for advtrains_interlocking on the new-ks branch:

File                 Hits Missed Coverage
-----------------------------------------
approach.lua         0    50     0.00%
ars.lua              54   23     70.13%
database.lua         36   240    13.04%
demosignals.lua      70   1      98.59%
distant.lua          69   35     66.35%
distant_ui.lua       0    54     0.00%
init.lua             0    22     0.00%
route_prog.lua       0    257    0.00%
route_ui.lua         0    84     0.00%
routesetting.lua     0    179    0.00%
signal_api.lua       71   108    39.66%
signal_aspect_ui.lua 0    144    0.00%
signal_aspects.lua   17   65     20.73%
signal_main_ui.lua   0    0      0.00%
tcb_ts_ui.lua        0    482    0.00%
tool.lua             0    35     0.00%
train_sections.lua   0    87     0.00%
tsr_rail.lua         0    29     0.00%
-----------------------------------------
Total                317  1895   14.33%
I will likely only add/complement the tests for the parts I have worked on, as my knowledge of the interlocking system is currently insufficient to write unittests for every part of it.
(Edit: I just noticed that there is the empty signal_main_ui.lua file in there. I originally wanted to create a somewhat improved formspec specifically for signals (instead of using the current signal aspect selector), but I managed to tweak the signal aspect selector such that I was mostly satisfied with the result.)
Spoiler
screenshot_20220612_175557.png
screenshot_20220612_175557.png (31.66 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
screenshot_20220612_175517.png
screenshot_20220612_175517.png (23.87 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
screenshot_20220612_175231.png
screenshot_20220612_175231.png (462.36 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Sun Jun 12, 2022 19:27
Let's assume a simple northbound track with a signal and two TCBs with a section in between them:

|T
|S
|
|
|
|T
|S
At the signal, one only needs set the influence point and then make a new route, punch the TCB, and press a button which says "automatically generate route", which ends at next TCB, names based on the cardinal direction (n in this case), and then sets ARS rules to *, saves, then sets and enables ARS on the route. This can significantly help server admins with interlocking, as rail lines tend to be mostly straight sections.
This is already partially implemented. When you start the route programming, punch the TCB of the signal you started at. From there you can click "Finish route at end of NEXT section." This will only confirm the single section to the route and end the programming. Then you can name the route as normal, set ARS as * as a backup, and then set the route and enable Automatic Working. All without leaving the signal. Simples

W3RQ01
GitHub: W3RQ01
In-game: Dario23 or W3RQ01

Advtrains Livery Team Conference

by W3RQ01 » Post

We will hold the first Advtrains Livery Team conference on the period of time starting from Thursday 16 to Wednesday 22.

The meeting is going to be online via meeting platform. The link will be posted in a separate post prior the start of the conference

Please compile the doodle poll with the ticks: https://dud-poll.inf.tu-dresden.de/f07Iwop9Gg/ (all the times are UTC)

If you want to join:
Anyone can join and discuss during the conference. This conference may be your occasion to start contributing to the advtrains mod and to get know the developers.

Rules
Creativity is well appreciated but keep in mind that the developers have limited free-time.

Discussions over a topic must be constructive and should be exposed with calm.

I have the rights of removing people from the conference in case of inappropriate behaviour

Topics List
  • Train Painter tool (how, compatibility, livery customisation etc)
  • Automatic paint-aging (how, who, how much)
  • Skin making (who)
  • What comes up
  • Upgrading the current skins of basic trains (optional) (who, when)
I hope to meet you
- W3RQ01 (dario23 for LF players)
Last edited by W3RQ01 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
OneUnitedPower

56independent_actual

💥🚄
Last edited by 56independent_actual on Sun Jan 15, 2023 17:02, edited 1 time in total.