[Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [2.4.3]

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod] Advanced Trains [advtrains] [WIP]

by TumeniNodes » Post

DS-minetest wrote:maybe make mesh for rails, for more information, maybe ask wikipedia (de)
at now the 45° rail is wider than the normal

and i still dont like these cylinders in the trains, minetest is a cubic game
But if this were a "rule" to be strictly adhered to, then no one should have, nor be creating cars, trains, arches, the apples, etc... wheels are round.
I'm just saying that adding "some" cylindrical / rounded objects is not such a bad thing. It gives more appeal.
And, there is always the option to build a train mod without cylinders as well. It is extremely difficult to please everyone in one mod. That is why it is nice to have alternative options, as well as the ability to make them into anything you want.
You could fork the mod, and make the changes which please you (and probably others who feel the same regarding a cubic / centric feel), or if unable, find others who can help : )
A Wonderful World

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
DS-minetest wrote:maybe make mesh for rails, for more information, maybe ask wikipedia (de)
at now the 45° rail is wider than the normal

and i still dont like these cylinders in the trains, minetest is a cubic game
But if this were a "rule" to be strictly adhered to, then no one should have, nor be creating cars, trains, arches, the apples, etc... wheels are round.
I'm just saying that adding "some" cylindrical / rounded objects is not such a bad thing. It gives more appeal.
And, there is always the option to build a train mod without cylinders as well. It is extremely difficult to please everyone in one mod. That is why it is nice to have alternative options, as well as the ability to make them into anything you want.
You could fork the mod, and make the changes which please you (and probably others who feel the same regarding a cubic / centric feel), or if unable, find others who can help : )
i dont hate the cylinders but they should not be used too often, as wheels its ok of course
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

TailsTheFoxDoes MT
In-game: TailsTheFox

by TailsTheFoxDoes MT » Post

Unspeakable... Awsome mod...

[Excessive images deleted. --Moderator]
I'm the TailsTMM of minetest, in other words, i rock.
BRAAAAAZZZZAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW it means TailsTheMeseMinecart, but that isn't my name, it's just a way of saying that i basically do the same thing Dantdm does but i do it with minetest And you problably can't see the invisible ink.
My mods:
My first mod:tails_boss

Mob_pack now has voice acting! Do you want YOUR VOICE included? Look in my posts for the thread!

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Could you please discuss that elsewhere?...
To everyone: If there's anyone who has any models of trains (subways, electric trains, maglev trains a.s.o) either lying around or can create them, that would be really nice. If there are textures, good, but I can make them myself if needed. (I can do that better than I did with the current wagon and engine texture, I just had no motivation to create a proper texture yet.)
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

orwell wrote:Could you please discuss that elsewhere?...
Yes sorry :)

anyway great work
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Desour
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

orwell wrote: To everyone: If there's anyone who has any models of trains (subways, electric trains, maglev trains a.s.o) either lying around or can create them, that would be really nice. If there are textures, good, but I can make them myself if needed. (I can do that better than I did with the current wagon and engine texture, I just had no motivation to create a proper texture yet.)
maybe ill create a model when i got time for it
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

Desour

by Desour » Post

i did a bit modelling with the rails, it needs a better texture. the bride is standard, so 1435mm.
i thought the connection between 90° and 45° could be 22.5°
you can see the 90° rail and two versions of 45°, only one of them is front/back symmetric:
tell me pls if you want the models or if you are full uninterested

orwell

by orwell » Post

I am never uninterested in help. If you could make models for curves and switches too that would be really nice.
If you recognize problems with straight rails adjacent to curved ones, I will find a way to solve that.
Lua is great!
List of my mods

Desour

by Desour » Post

i will try my best

Desour

by Desour » Post

the curve is finished, but only in one direction, for other it has to be scaled -1 and rotated 180°
hm, it seems difficult to make the switching rail into one node
i will try the verticals (i know, its already mesh)

Desour

by Desour » Post

that's, what I made so far:
(im very new to blender, so im not good or fast in modelling)

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

DS-minetest wrote:that's, what I made so far:
Looking really good though! For being "very new to Blender", you're doing a great job.
The only thing that will need tweaking once you have all these set, is the actual radius' of the curves.
I'm very impressed by what I see so far
A Wonderful World

Desour

by Desour » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
DS-minetest wrote:that's, what I made so far:
screenshot
Looking really good though! For being "very new to Blender", you're doing a great job.
The only thing that will need tweaking once you have all these set, is the actual radius' of the curves.
I'm very impressed by what I see so far
:D thx
the curves dont really have a radius, they are not 1/4circle

orwell

by orwell » Post

DS-Minetest, the models you created look really nice. Can you please provide me the model file so I can integrate the models?
(the forum does not allow .blend for whatever reason, so use a zip or tar or whatever archive.)
Thanks very much!
Lua is great!
List of my mods

Desour

by Desour » Post

Download
thats all, what i got, switch is not finished.
only use:
  • rail_90
  • rail_45
  • rail_vert_1
  • rail_vert_2
  • rail_45_90
(if you wonder about the names, they are a bit german)(but because of the "tunnelborer" it seems like you are german, too)
licence: CC-BY-SA 3.0

orwell

by orwell » Post

DS-minetest wrote: (but because of the "tunnelborer" it seems like you are german, too)
Yes, I am german.
and that tool will be removed very soon, it's way too destructive.
You can still suggest better, more english names.
Anyway, thx very much DS-Minetest
EDIT: Du bist auch nicht viel besser mit gleis.zip...
Lua is great!
List of my mods

Desour

by Desour » Post

wie schon
DS-minetest wrote:(if you wonder about the names, they are a bit german)
Edit: nicht das Kleingedruckte darunter übersehen
Edit2: das heißt so, weil der ordner gleis heißt
Edit3: ich hab das mit dem tunnelborer nur geschreiben, damit man weiß, wie ich auf den gedanken, dass du deutsch bist gekommen bin, ich hab auch schon bei dem wikipedia link deswegen den (de) link hingemacht

orwell

by orwell » Post

DS-minetest wrote:licence: CC-BY-SA 3.0
you are so mean!
Ok, no problem. all media is licensed under this license, and I will give credit to you.
EDIT: you forgot to delete license.txt~ before submitting the folder, so I already did know...
Lua is great!
List of my mods

Desour

by Desour » Post

yeah, the ~ is always created
XD first looked for the translating of "mean" in dict.cc
ill pick one:
dict.cc wrote:spitze
Edit: i only dont want to get uninterested in this mod, and if im in credits, i get bounden

McAl

by McAl » Post

Awesome mod, thanks for making it available!

My 7 years old kid is ever so slightly obsessed with trains. Name any of the hundred stations in Greater London and he will tell you which trains, trams, DLR and underground lines pass from there. That kind of passion :D
He has been using minecraft on kano for quite a while now, and he has been bugging me no end about making his own moving trains, so he can replicate the jubilee line.
So I got him Minecraft Py and showed him some of the Python API, which he liked. But making from scratch moving vehicles sounded like a daunting task.
Then we ran into minetest and then this mod. Bingo! Thanks so much :)

Aside of the fact that I am not quite sure what the Doctor Who wands named 1,2,3 and 4 do, we ran into a problem.
The vertical rails do not show in inventory.
The png files for the icons seems to be in the folder along with the rest though.
Am I missing something obvious?
I am using the portable windows version 64bit. I also have installed minetest on Ubuntu but did not test the mod with it yet.

Also, apologies if that is a silly question but, is there any way to control Minetest via Python API, as with Minecraft Pi?
The 'tunnel borer' wand is useful, once you get used, but the idea of making short work of long sections with scripting is quite attractive.

Thanks again, I had been looking for something like this for quite a few days now :)

Desour

by Desour » Post

@McAl:
(if you are annoyed of getting more and more tracks out of your creative inventory write in chat (T) "/giveme advtrains:track_st")
to get the vertical tracks write in chat "/giveme advtrains:track_vert1" and "/giveme advtrains:track_vert2"

be warned, this mod is buggy, if you want to rescue an important world use worldedit and replace the tracks

McAl

by McAl » Post

DS-minetest wrote:@McAl:
(if you are annoyed of getting more and more tracks out of your creative inventory write in chat (T) "/giveme advtrains:track_st")
to get the vertical tracks write in chat "/giveme advtrains:track_vert1" and "/giveme advtrains:track_vert2"

be warned, this mod is buggy, if you want to rescue an important world use worldedit and replace the tracks
Awesome!
And thanks for the worldedit trick, indeed a bug breaking the world would leave my kid really sad, asking for daddy to "fix it". Good that there is a way :)
Thanks so much :)

Desour

by Desour » Post

McAl wrote: And thanks for the worldedit trick, indeed a bug breaking the world would leave my kid really sad, asking for daddy to "fix it". Good that there is a way :)
Thanks so much :)
you should also make backups of the world for safety : )

orwell

by orwell » Post

McAl wrote:Awesome mod, thanks for making it available!

My 7 years old kid is ever so slightly obsessed with trains. Name any of the hundred stations in Greater London and he will tell you which trains, trams, DLR and underground lines pass from there. That kind of passion :D
He has been using minecraft on kano for quite a while now, and he has been bugging me no end about making his own moving trains, so he can replicate the jubilee line.
So I got him Minecraft Py and showed him some of the Python API, which he liked. But making from scratch moving vehicles sounded like a daunting task.
Then we ran into minetest and then this mod. Bingo! Thanks so much :)
Where do I know this from?
McAl wrote: Aside of the fact that I am not quite sure what the Doctor Who wands named 1,2,3 and 4 do,
These are debugging items, ignore them.
McAl wrote: Also, apologies if that is a silly question but, is there any way to control Minetest via Python API, as with Minecraft Pi?
Not a silly question, but wrong thread. Post a new one in Feature discussion or better Mod requests.

The 'tunnel borer' wand is useful, once you get used, but the idea of making short work of long sections with scripting is quite attractive.[/quote]
Atm its cheating. I will keep it but it will work different.

Be warned. In the next version that I will push soon I made the rail radius even greater. I keep the old rails fpr legacy and they will still work, but one day they will be removed.
Then the vertical rails will be available again.

This mod really is far away from being finished, and everything may be changed when you expext it least...
Lua is great!
List of my mods

orwell

by orwell » Post

Now is the time when you should re-download my mod.
You can't really call it new version since there are no versions yet. But here the newest features:
- Rails turn max 30 degrees. tracks with 30deg angle should be placed 2 nodes in front and 1 node aside the track end.
->look for the red bent line in inventory
- everything has been adapted to fit the new angles
- rails have now models (thanks DS-minetest)
- everything debugging-related is removed
still to do:
- create models for switches, and integrate 30deg switches.
- re-export some curves without scaling them by -1 in Blender before
(you can still use the 45deg rails and switches mixed with the new ones, but I will remove the 45degs one day)
Note: slopes get converted, the old verts are not in anymore, as do the switches, because they have a new naming scheme. I am using an abm for this, and I know this is wrong. When this mod leaves WIP stage, this replacement will be removed.
Last edited by orwell on Tue Aug 23, 2016 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Lua is great!
List of my mods