[Mod] Earthbuild 1.0.2.1 [earthbuild]

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

[Mod] Earthbuild 1.0.2.1 [earthbuild]

by Dokimi » Post

Description

Adds traditional dirt and vegetation based construction methods and technologies, which do not require the use of quarried stone or mining.

Aims to reflect building styles that have been in use since neolithic times, and are still common in areas with little stone or resources.

e.g. cob, mud brick, rammed earth, turf, wattle and daub. Flint tools. Pottery. etc

Spoiler
This mod aims to realistically capture these building techniques. Therefore it contains a mechanism which will degrade most earthen blocks to dirt if they are in contact with soil or water. This reflects the real world importance of keeping these materials dry. Make sure dirt based blocks (e.g. "Rammed Earth", "Cob" etc) are placed on foundations above the soil, or whitewashed.

Each material has different pros and cons. Explore!

Turf can only be aquired using the turf cutting tool on dirt with grass (to get the grass), or dirt with snow (it's a cold climate method).

Compacted dirt can only be made using the dirt compactor. This is to simulate bare ground that has been cleared of vegetation but little else.
Spoiler
Cob: an ancient building material of straw and mud.
Mud brick: cob shaped into bricks and dried.
Rammed Earth: an ancient building technique of compressing earth into thick walls.
Wattle and daub: woven sticks (the wattle), covered by daub (cob or something similar).
Thatch: an ancient roofing method. Thick bundles of vegetation.
Whitewash: a protective coating made from limestone. A little chemistry is used to turn it into a paint-like paste.
Turf: soil held together by deep grass roots. Used to make thick insulating walls in places like Iceland.
Drystack: Walls made from found stones (e.g. from clearing a field), stacked. Typically used for farm fences.
Straw-bale walls: Bales of straw covered in cob (or similar). Historically used on farms with lots of excess straw.
Bottle gourd: a pumpkin-like plant. The hollowed out fruits have long been used as storage vessels, bowls, etc.
Fire sticks: the difficult task of rubbing two sticks together to start a fire via friction.
Spoiler
Some of the recipes...
rammed_earth:
{'default:dirt'},
{'default:dirt'},
{'default:dirt'}

cob:
{'default:dirt', '', 'default:dirt'},
{'', 'group:grass', ''},
{'', '', ''},
(also uses other grasses etc)

mud_brick:
{'earthbuild:cob'}

wood supported rammed earth:,
{'earthbuild:rammed_earth', 'earthbuild:rammed_earth', 'earthbuild:rammed_earth'},
{'default:wood', '', ''},
{'', '', ''}
(same thing for cob, and other wood types)

wattle:
{'', '', ''},
{'', 'group:stick', ''},
{'group:stick', 'group:stick', 'group:stick'},

wattle_and_daub:
{'earthbuild:wattle', 'earthbuild:wattle', 'earthbuild:wattle'},
{'earthbuild:wattle', 'earthbuild:wattle', 'earthbuild:wattle'},
{'', 'earthbuild:cob', ''},

thatch:
{'group:leaves', 'group:leaves', 'group:leaves'},
(also uses grasses)

hearth:
{'', 'group:tree', ''},
{'group:stick', 'group:stick', 'group:stick'},
{'default:dirt', 'default:dirt', 'default:dirt'},

whitewash:
made by cooking gravel or coral to get quicklime.
Quicklime crafted with buckets of water to make whitewash

flint_axe:
{'default:flint', 'group:stick'},
{'', 'group:stick'},

flint_knife:
{'default:flint'},
{'group:stick'},

Primitive bed:
{"earthbuild:thatch", "earthbuild:thatch", "earthbuild:thatch"},
{"group:wood", "group:wood", "group:wood"},

unfired_clay_pot:
{'default:clay_lump', '', 'default:clay_lump'},
{'', 'default:clay_lump', ''},
(cook it to get a useable pot)

earthen_furnace:
{'earthbuild:mud_brick', 'earthbuild:mud_brick', 'earthbuild:mud_brick'},
{'earthbuild:mud_brick', '', 'earthbuild:mud_brick'},
{'earthbuild:mud_brick', 'earthbuild:hearth', 'earthbuild:mud_brick'},
(also uses cob, rammed earth)

License

Code: GNU LGPLv2+.

Textures: CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

Mod dependencies
stairs
walls
fire
beds

Recommended: for making torches in the spirit of Earthbuild try one of the many charcoal mods e.g Another Charcoal Mod

DOWNLOAD

View code at Github:
https://github.com/DokimiCU/earthbuild.git

Attachments
eb_interior.png
eb_interior.png (511.19 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
screenshot_roundhouse_interior.png
screenshot_roundhouse_interior.png (745.43 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
turfhouse.png
turfhouse.png (381.76 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Last edited by Dokimi on Wed Mar 11, 2020 01:16, edited 8 times in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild [earthbuild]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

awesome! and welcome! for a first mod it's very great! you know what? it will be added to my game voxellar!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

I've toyed with the idea of a rammed earth house (real one). But it would unlikely survive in my area. I love that you brought it to the game. As a default:dirt house is possible, but wouldn't logically work.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Nice textures. It's always good to have whitewashed materials for houses. The drawback is that houses made out of dirt will probably be rather small.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Fixed a few inconsistencies in the recipes etc.

Added a flint axe and flint knife (mainly because in default crafts flint is annoyingly useless!)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

yay for the flint utilities!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Now people can build dirt houses without shame.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

+1

WOW, many and many thanks!!!

R

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 0.2 [earthbuild]

by Dokimi » Post

Big update!

The main new features:
- mudbrick
- wattle
- a primitive bed
- a clay pot for liquids
- an earthen furnace
-...and a bunch of tweaks and fixes

(compatibility: the wattle and daub walls (the little low ones, not the block) has been removed. The code is still in there at the bottom of the init. file if you need to reactivate it for old maps)
Attachments
eb3.png
eb3.png (612.12 KiB) Viewed 2139 times

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

It would be nice to be able to place the clay "bucket" somewhere in the world as a decorative item (urn, kettle, vase, ...). There might even be a potterer's disk to create diffrent versions from raw cob.

The bed and the hearth with its flame are very decorative. The clay furnace is also nice. The idea of rammed earth is realistic and a good way to get rid of all that dirt in a useful manner. Cob ought to be doable with leaves as well. That'd prevent players from digging all those plants around.

The flint axe and knive are also good ideas. This could be a good way to get started in a world/game where wood - or even stone materials - are hard to come by. It might fit particulary well into RealTest.

The textures are consistent but look diffrent from normal MTG. Perhaps a new ground dirt type might help to integrate them better? There ought to be cob/loam/however you call it below the topmost dirt layers in MT worlds anyway. It's such a common material RL and so rare in MT.

I'd love to get a few buildings for a new village type for my mg_villages mod. The mod also ought to be installed on servers.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

First up... I don't plan to make additions any time soon!

(basically I am an experimenter... I try something wildly different... then I forget about it. I am more than happy to see my projects taken on by people who care more about them than I do!)
Sokomine wrote:It would be nice to be able to place the clay "bucket" somewhere in the world as a decorative item (urn, kettle, vase, ...). There might even be a potterer's disk to create diffrent versions from raw cob.
I thought of doing a clay storage pot like that (also a wicker basket)... but I got tired and gave up!

To help clarify the obscure technical stuff in here:
this is what cob is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)
Basically it's mud and straw. You use clay for pottery. ;-)

A full on pottery mod would be nice... I've no plans to make one though.
Sokomine wrote: The bed and the hearth with its flame are very decorative...
Why thank you :)
Sokomine wrote: Cob ought to be doable with leaves as well. That'd prevent players from digging all those plants around.
Hmmm... it could.... Basically I am a fan of realism (as far as possible... failing that...I am a fan of the absolutely ridiculous!). So... the principle behind cob is that you add long stringy things into the mix. (e.g. straw, hair...). They all tangle together and give it strength. Most leaves aren't "long and stringy".
Sokomine wrote: The flint axe and knive are also good ideas. This could be a good way to get started in a world/game where wood - or even stone materials - are hard to come by. It might fit particulary well into RealTest.
Playing I've found that Earthbuild majorly helps in early game, or when you're newly arrived in a place (i.e. low on resources). I always end up using Earthbuild stuff (especially the bed). Which makes sense... this is stone age technology, still used by poor people today.
Sokomine wrote: ...Perhaps a new ground dirt type might help to integrate them better? There ought to be cob/loam/however you call it below the topmost dirt layers in MT worlds anyway. It's such a common material RL and so rare in MT.
A mapgen question:
1. cob is dirt (refer above!). Loam is a soil classification (one with equal parts clay, silt, and sand).
2. Realistic soils would have layers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_horizon I tried doing this in mg_tectonic... you'll have to judge for yourself if that worked!

Sokomine wrote: I'd love to get a few buildings for a new village type for my mg_villages mod. The mod also ought to be installed on servers.
Is that a request...?

I like mg_villages by the way. Sadly it usually grinds to a halt on me (I think I use too many mods!).

As in my screenshots above, Earthbuild lends itself to primitive villages, or arid Middle Eastern style buildings. The huts and things I've got there are very easy to build.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Dokimi wrote: First up... I don't plan to make additions any time soon!
That's a pity.
Dokimi wrote: To help clarify the obscure technical stuff in here:
Ah, thanks! I'm not a native speaker and sometimes have to look up more obscure terms. This seems to be a particular material used for a long while for constructing simple houses.
Dokimi wrote: A full on pottery mod would be nice... I've no plans to make one though.
Yes, such a mod would be nice. We do have flowerpots already. Those could be crafted there as well. And there could even be old pots in caves or found extremly rarely when digging. They'd also fit nicely into those ancient greek worlds.
Dokimi wrote: So... the principle behind cob is that you add long stringy things into the mix. (e.g. straw, hair...). They all tangle together and give it strength. Most leaves aren't "long and stringy".
Very true. Still, gameplay mechanics sometimes demand other things than what would be realistic. In reality, straw is neither rare nor particulary valuable. In MT, straw takes a lot of time to obtain in sufficient quantities. And grass plants are also rather rare.
Dokimi wrote: Playing I've found that Earthbuild majorly helps in early game, or when you're newly arrived in a place (i.e. low on resources). I always end up using Earthbuild stuff (especially the bed). Which makes sense... this is stone age technology, still used by poor people today.
That's right. It could be excellent material for more realistic games where the start is more difficult. RealTest with its stone age skins comes to mind. Another project that needs work...
Dokimi wrote: 2. Realistic soils would have layers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_horizon I tried doing this in mg_tectonic... you'll have to judge for yourself if that worked!
Havn't got around to read that thread yet. I'm way behind on catching up with the forum. Layers might look quite intresting - in almost all mapgens. Wasn't there a mod around that tried to generate layers of stone as well?
Dokimi wrote: Is that a request...?
Sure it is :-)
Dokimi wrote: I like mg_villages by the way. Sadly it usually grinds to a halt on me (I think I use too many mods!).
Thanks! Grinding the game to a halt is not supposed to happen. I even ran the villages on my smartphone with 1 GB of RAM. It wasn't expensive when I bought it and is several years old already. Mapgen does get slower - but not too much. Intensive vegetation as in Dreambuilder is much more expensive (and also very beautiful).
Dokimi wrote: As in my screenshots above, Earthbuild lends itself to primitive villages, or arid Middle Eastern style buildings. The huts and things I've got there are very easy to build.
The village type "sandcity" probably comes close. Those where homes intended for those poor sand mobs that always try to kill us. Perhaps sandcity could work well with your materials.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Dokimi wrote: First up... I don't plan to make additions any time soon!
That's a pity.
Well... I maintain things to the extent that I want to use them. Other than that I Iike pushing the boundaries in some entirely new area.

If I ever do add anything I might do:
- storage (as mentioned above)
- door and window covers (not sure what exactly)
- Turf house stuff e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_turf_house (perhaps only if we get peat)
- Straw bale construction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw-bale_construction
- Weaving e.g. floor mats, bags, baskets,
- Farming: a bottle gourd plant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabash. e.g. for a drinking vessel?
- maybe some of the more modern eco-house stuff e.g. using recycled glass etc

Some of this would be easy to add, it's just not a priority for me right now.

Sokomine wrote: ... In MT, straw takes a lot of time to obtain in sufficient quantities.
The current wheat farming makes me laugh. You throw away the seeds and eat the straw! Yup!

Sokomine wrote:
Dokimi wrote: Is that a request...?
Sure it is :-)
I think I've had enough enjoyment from mg_villages to consider giving you something in return. Let me know what you had in mind.

Sokomine wrote: ...Grinding the game to a halt is not supposed to happen...
I should have said it has out of memory crashes (I don't recall it getting slower - it's been a while since I've tried). I suspect it was clashing with other mods... like my horrendously heavy and badly coded Self Organizing Systems mods. Probably not something you need to worry much about.

Sokomine wrote:...Perhaps sandcity could work well with your materials.
Did you want to include Earthbuild in mg_villages? I would be happy with that... (especially if you want to maintain it, improve it... for reasons I have explained above).

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Good mod! I always wanted a way to turn dirt into a building material.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

I wanted to clarify what I meant by "being an experimenter". I don't want to give people the impression I don't care! I make these mods because I want them to exist. I would love to see them reach their full potential.

But...

I have to prioritize, I have to recognize where my true skills are. More people can build on an existing idea than could have come up with that idea in the first place. So... given my abilities I think that is the role I best fit: Minetest's resident mad scientist!

Sokomine:

I suspect we are mis-communicating. What did you actually want? I got the impression you wanted me to build something to add to mg_villages and/or add Earthbuild into that modpack... but I see now you've set mg_villages up to be able to use materials from other mods - is this what you actually meant? Thanks! :-)

Good mod!
Thank you!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Dokimi wrote: So... given my abilities I think that is the role I best fit: Minetest's resident mad scientist!
Well...I've recently built a secret lab below my house on IhrFussels server. The lab is intended to do experiments on npc mobs from mobs_redo. I'm trying to increase their intelligence (so far without success). Does that qualify? :)
Dokimi wrote: I suspect we are mis-communicating. What did you actually want? I got the impression you wanted me to build something to add to mg_villages and/or add Earthbuild into that modpack... but I see now you've set mg_villages up to be able to use materials from other mods - is this what you actually meant? Thanks! :-)
Oh, I want two things :-) Getting the mod to become even richer (by i.e. supplying pottery items; one vase/amphora might alredy do) - plus a new village type for my villages. It seems you've built a few houses with your mod already. A couple of schematics (.mts files) that fit together in style plus a simple wrapper init.lua are enough to make them available as a new village type.

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 1.0 [earthbuild]

by Dokimi » Post

Big Update 1.0:

I do like this mod, so I have ticked off everything from the wishlist. It is now "complete" (anymore will make it too big, drift away from main focus).

Too many new features to mention. Just check it out!

Compatibility: you may find old buildings are poorly designed. (they might need a chimney, or start decomposing!).

Some schematics for those who wanted that (screenshots in the main post):
eb_3story.mts
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
icelandic_house.mts
(824 Bytes) Downloaded 148 times
roundhouse.mts
(1.34 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
That's all!

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 1.0 [earthbuild]

by texmex » Post

This are great looking blocks and builds. You should think of doing a thematic game based on it!

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 1.0.1 [earthbuild]

by Dokimi » Post

Lost message from our wee forum crash:

... 1.0.1 update: fixed a bug that made turf cutter and dirt compactor crash minetest 5.0.

Drgnrdr

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 1.0.1 [earthbuild]

by Drgnrdr » Post

Had to comment out your recipe for woven_mat using papyrus. Conflicts with recipe for paper.

Dokimi

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 1.0.2 [earthbuild]

by Dokimi » Post

Small update 1.0.2
- better looking (and behaving) pots and baskets
- removed conflicting recipe

Josselin2
GitHub: axcore
In-game: Josselin

Re: [Mod] Earthbuild 1.0.2.1 [earthbuild]

by Josselin2 » Post

A warning for anyone who adds this mod to a server:

Craft recipes for the stick platform produce infinite sticks. In roofing.lua, change line 414 to this:

Code: Select all

output = 'earthbuild:stick_platform',