[Mod] Erosion [1.0][erosion]

Chiu ChunLing

Re: [Mod]Erosion

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

Aha, just what I was looking for.

A survey of the mods in minetest_game shows a significant preponderance of WTFPD licenses, with GNU LGPD a distant second...MIT is good, right? I think it means basically the same thing as WTFPD but had a form on Github so you just enter your name.

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Post

Also it gives you protections like the "no warranty" that WTFPL doesn't which I think is super important.
Become A Real Life Superhero - http://SuperheroHill.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

Yeah...that's considerably less important to me than convenience, to be honest. I sorta like the "flip it to the man" aspect of WTFPL, but it seemed like a hassle.

Anyway, the trial branch has the chat command "erosion_slope_gen" which requires that you have noclip, server, and rollback privs (the noclip is so that when you use it in a cave you don't get stuck, I considered adding fly as well but there's no definite reason for that). I feel that this more selective method is preferable to doing a whole world convert.

Sadly I can't think of a way to get the heightmap for an area since it's a Mapgen object, so the surface pass isn't available...but I'm not broken up about it, I like the abm erosion process better.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Blocks look like is good now

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

Well, the slope generation in existing mapchunks has a bit of a problem in that it generates slopes at the top east edge of the mapchunk as if it were bounded by stone even if it is air (this is probably due to a difference between how minetest.get_voxel_manip() and minetest.get_mapgen_object("voxelmanip") work). I tried fixing that various ways without any luck, so I guess that functionality is going to stay in the trial version.

Other than that, I believe the current version is pretty well how it's going to be, so maybe I stick a number on this and call it an initial release.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

Re: [Mod]Erosion[1.0][erosion]

by paramat » Post

Yes the 'mapgen object heightmap' is only availabe in 'on generated'. However it's simple to reproduce in lua, it just registers the highest walkable node in each column, while searching from top to bottom.

The use of WTFPL in mods is a bad habit, we strongly recommend MIT instead.

Chiu ChunLing

Re: [Mod]Erosion[1.0][erosion]

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

That's good then. MIT seemed like the easiest option.

Yeah, searching for the highest walkable node would work but it isn't fast...which may not matter as much for the chatcommand function but it was becoming enough of a concern for the on_generated that I'm not eager to make things slower. I'm content with the terrain produced by the actual erosion rules. Also, I couldn't get rid of that problem with the suspended stone catwalks appearing when using the chat command at the surface anyway (without making the function less effective underground, which is where I really wanted to use it).

I'm generally pretty happy with where the functionality is now, though I guess the code needs to be cleaned and documented.

Chiu ChunLing

Re: [Mod] Erosion [1.0][erosion]

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

By the way, while I have currently run low on revisions I regard as necessary and useful (partly due to some of the things I wanted to do turning out to have performance issues in testing and partly because of other difficulties), I don't consider development of this closed. If there is significant interest in supporting other mods (for instance, working with the additional grass/stone nodes introduced by Ethereal or other such mods), or in revising the code to be more maintainable for other members of the community (such as by clarifying comments or restructuring), I would be happy to make revisions.

For now, I'm not sufficiently bothered about some blocks not being affected nor do I have any real idea which parts of my code are sufficiently unclear to be difficult for others to maintain or modify (I've tried to fix parts I knew were confusing...but I'm not good at knowing what's going to confuse people).

So if there are things about the current behavior or coding of the mod you think clearly need to be fixed, feel free to mention them (that doesn't ensure I'll be free to actually fix them, but probably there are things I could fix if I knew they needed it).

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

Hmmm...I hadn't. My looking for an erosion-like mod was somewhat cursory, and mostly concentrated on the erosion mechanic, not the world-gen (after all, I didn't initially plan to do any world-gen stuff).

The utilities look interesting. They don't place the sideways slopes, though. That's something I wanted for the cave/cliff generation.

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

This has been updated to work with the latest versions of Minetest, Minetest game, and More Blocks. I'm thinking it would be fun to do a version for MineClone2, but currently it doesn't seem that MineClone2 has a working version of More Blocks. Does anyone know if a mod providing the sloped blocks is available or underway for MineClone2?

Chiu ChunLing

by Chiu ChunLing » Post

Well, I've cobbled together a temporary version of this that works with Mineclone2. However, it depends on a version of moreblocks I also quickly cobbled together, which may not match anyone else's efforts to adapt moreblocks for Mineclone2. So if anyone knows if there's a better version, that would help.