[Mod] Digtron tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]

Heraclitus

Re: [Mod] Digtron tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]

by Heraclitus » Post

Am I the only one for whom the "extrusion" setting with builder modules seems to do nothing?

I've tried all sorts of values, all sorts of orientations for the builders -- the builder only seems to output one block in the given direction. I'm running Minetest 0.4.17.1 (though I'm pretty sure it didn't work when I had 0.4.16 either). I don't see any errors given -- the setting just seems not to do anything.

Is there something I could be missing? Is there some sort of mod conflict or something that could cause this?

Terrific mod, by the way. I've built tunnels and roads and skyscrapers -- the extrusion capability would just make it a lot more useful.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Are you using a completely fresh download? I just did a major bit of optimization work that I merged into the master branch yesterday, it shouldn't have changed anything about how the mod worked but I don't think I tested extrusion explicitly. I'll test that now and see if I broke it.

Edit: Yup, extrusion is broken. One moment, I'll fix it.

Edit 2: How embarrassing. I think it was broken for a while now, the work I submitted yesterday didn't touch the spot that was going awry. In any event, though, is now fixed.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

FaceDeer wrote:Are you using a completely fresh download? I just did a major bit of optimization work that I merged into the master branch yesterday, it shouldn't have changed anything about how the mod worked but I don't think I tested extrusion explicitly. I'll test that now and see if I broke it.

Edit: Yup, extrusion is broken. One moment, I'll fix it.

Edit 2: How embarrassing. I think it was broken for a while now, the work I submitted yesterday didn't touch the spot that was going awry. In any event, though, is now fixed.
Nice :O
/me pulls
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Heraclitus

by Heraclitus » Post

THANK YOU! I sincerely appreciate your taking a look at it so quickly. I first tried using extrusion a few months ago (I think) when I tried to design some more sophisticated machines, but I assumed I was doing something wrong. I guess I should have reported it here then.

Anyhow, it seems to work now. No reason to be embarrassed -- as I said, this is a great mod, and before I was able to workaround without extrusion by just making a somewhat more complicated builder. But I wanted to do something that really wouldn't be possible without extrusion, so thanks for fixing it!

DzarTheDemon
In-game: CrystalFox

by DzarTheDemon » Post

Umm I downloaded the mod but it doesn't seem to have added the digtron items... I have it in my Minetest_Game mods folder and it is enabled on my worlds so can you tell me what im doing wrong?

Edit: I am also having this issue with Technic, I am not seeing any Technic or Digtron blocks

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

My guess would be that Technic has an unsatisfied dependency. Digtron has an optional dependency on Technic (so that it knows how to add Technic-specific nodes such as the battery holder and power cable connector), and I've noticed that Minetest will let dependency failures propagate up through optional dependencies even though it doesn't really make sense for it to do so.

See if you can find debug.txt. It should be in the /bin directory where the Minetest executable is (for version 0.4.16) or in the root Minetest folder (for 5.0). It'll likely have lines like the following in it:

Code: Select all

2019-01-19 02:31:59: ERROR[Main]: mod "technic" has unsatisfied dependencies:  "pipeworks" "technic_worldgen"
2019-01-19 02:31:59: ERROR[Main]: mod "digtron" has unsatisfied dependencies:  "technic"
In this case I deliberately left out the "pipeworks" and "technic_worldgen" dependencies Technic requires, and that caused Technic to fail to load. Which caused Digtron to fail to load, even though it doesn't really need Technic for most of Digtron. Satisfy Technic's dependencies and everything should just work.

DzarTheDemon

by DzarTheDemon » Post

Okay, thanks! Turns out I needed the (not so) simple Materials mod. Once I put that in the ole mods folder, *pop!* Instant digtron mechanics! Now to digtron a mineshaft...!
Attachments
My new "Drill-x" Digtron! Who hasn't made a digtron that digs straight down?
My new "Drill-x" Digtron! Who hasn't made a digtron that digs straight down?
screenshot_20190119_115812.png (317.24 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

DzarTheDemon

by DzarTheDemon » Post

After playing around with the different parts, I decided to build... A Tank-Car! It moves forward, placing blocks in front of it and picking them back up at the back! It also digs in front of it so you don't have to worry about car crashes, but everyone else make way!!
The Tank-Car in it's glory! Also note the fiery dirt from 10+'s Ethereal mod :P
The Tank-Car in it's glory! Also note the fiery dirt from 10+'s Ethereal mod :P
screenshot_20190119_121946.png (968.93 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
Edit: There is a kink when it rotates, where it doesn't turn or it leaves behind some track blocks. Is there a way to fix this? (There's an axle in the center of the storage platform for rotating, it's hard to see in this picture.)
Last edited by DzarTheDemon on Sat Jan 19, 2019 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

DzarTheDemon

by DzarTheDemon » Post

DzarTheDemon wrote:(There's an axle in the center of the storage platform for rotating, it's hard to see in this picture.)

Here's an updated picture showing all the parts. I did shift the fuel storages, though. Now there's 3 fuels to 5 inventories. Other than that, this revision isn't really different, I just wanted to get a better picture of the car
Attachments
The Tank-Car in a desert... Can't think of any flavor text to put here.
The Tank-Car in a desert... Can't think of any flavor text to put here.
screenshot_20190119_130930.png (763.97 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

Isja Krass
In-game: init.lua

by Isja Krass » Post

Hello,
I have a problem with the digtron:
The digtron says that it self has 26 nodes but only have the traction to moove 6 nodes.
How can i get more traction?

thanks

DzarTheDemon

by DzarTheDemon » Post

Isja Krass wrote:Hello,
I have a problem with the digtron:
The digtron says that it self has 26 nodes but only have the traction to move 6 nodes.
How can i get more traction?
Traction is basically how much ground the digtron has to move on, what you need to do is build something under or around the digtron to give it more to scoot around on.

Jancv

by Jancv » Post

Someone knows how I can fill in materials faster than manually my Digtron made train tunnels, with two tracks and is prepared for any tipe of terrain.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13C01Fc ... sp=sharing
Attachments
Captura.PNG
Captura.PNG (209.42 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Jancv wrote:Someone knows how I can fill in materials faster than manually
Use pipeworks, I think.
Jancv wrote:my Digtron made train tunnels, with two tracks and is prepared for any type of terrain.
If you want to make tracks fit in terrains then I guess it has to be done by hand. Digtron is more like WorldEdit except it is for normal users.

Jancv

by Jancv » Post

I proved the pipeworks and aren't useful.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

The awards mod breaks digtrons in Minetest 5.0.1.
This is a cool signature. :)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

LRV wrote:The awards mod breaks digtrons in Minetest 5.0.1.
Please make sure you have the latest version of awards and digtron. You might also need to apply this pull request to awards.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

I have (at least I had when reported that bug). I don't have git hub.
This is a cool signature. :)

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I've submitted a pull request to awards, in the meantime you can use my fork of awards that removes the crash bug that Digtron's been triggering.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I've found a bug that crashed our server (Tunnelers' Abyss) 5 times. The ERROR was this, and maybe this is already reported, but here goes:

Code: Select all

ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
.../mods/digtron/util.lua:315: in function "update_builder_item"
.../mods/digtron/nodes/node_builders.lua:131: in function "?"
.../game/register.lua:419: in function <.../game/register.lua:399>
I know exactly how this bug happens, but I don't want to say it publically. I will PM you instead.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

CalebJ wrote: I know exactly how this bug happens, but I don't want to say it publically. I will PM you instead.
I have a guess based on the callstack, but I'll wait for you to PM me the specifics. If I'm guessing right I think this might not be too hard to fix.

And I will fix it. However, at this point I've become rather flummoxed by subtle bugs in Minetest's API that Digtron has been provoking, and the general fragility of Digtron's coding structure. A point of trivia, Digtron was actually my very first Minetest mod, and the first thing I'd written in Lua. In hindsight, having become a little better at this over the years, I think I made a few bad choices down in the foundations of how this thing is structured. So I think aside from emergency bug fixes like this one to stave off crashes where I can I'm going to stick a fork in this particular codebase...

...<ominous pause>...

...and begin work on DIGTRON 2.0, Digtron Lagann (name subject to change). I'm going to tear this monstrosity down and rebuild it from the ground up. I think I'll be able to do it in a manner that will allow existing digtron 1.0 constructs to be upgraded into DIGTRON 2.0s fairly seamlessly, but the code behind it is going to be very different and I think in addition to reducing the fragility and bugginess there will be some significant improvements to the user interface. I've got some ideas.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

I've already sent you the bug report in PM, I see it in my sent messages :)

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

FaceDeer wrote:DIGTRON 2.0
ohboyohboyohboy!

Transportable factories? Attachable mesecons, digilines, pipes and fabbers? Ability to access the inventories while moving? That can be wild!

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

CalebJ wrote:I've already sent you the bug report in PM, I see it in my sent messages :)
Huh, I didn't get an alert. I see it too, though.
Yvanhoe wrote:
FaceDeer wrote:DIGTRON 2.0
Transportable factories? Attachable mesecons, digilines, pipes and fabbers? Ability to access the inventories while moving? That can be wild!
Er... I was mainly just planning on it not crashing so much... :)

But now that you mention it, I think the inventory-while-moving thing might actually work well with what I have in mind. Since the main failure point seems to be a subtle Minetest bug with writing node metadata, including inventories, I'm planning to have Digtron 2.0 controllers "own" detached inventories instead. So if you open the inventory while it's moving it should keep on functioning.

There's already a pipeworks attachment node, what did you have in mind beyond that? And would the Mesecon interaction be a signal to trigger a Digtron to start or stop operating?

What sort of "factory" were you thinking of? I'd probably mark such things for Digtron 2.1 or beyond, but I could perhaps look at integrating some kind of furnace or auto-crafter into a Digtron node. The usual approaches to this don't work well with Digtron because any running node timers get left behind when Digtron moves, it'd have to be a custom deal.

Maybe I should make a separate mod that's focused on "picking up" a generic group of constructed nodes and "placing" it somewhere else, that might be more versatile and robust in the long run than trying to bolt everything on to Digtron itself. You could put your ore-processing factory in your pocket, let Digtron run off for a while, then go to wherever Digtron has run out of gas and plunk your processing factory down next to it. Run a short length of Pipeworks between them and voom.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

Ok sorry about the overenthusiasm. Digtron is my favorite mod so far and the one that got me hooked into minetest.

The one thing I wanted to explore was what would happen if I were to add a block in digtron that would attach the 6 blocks touching it to the machine? I wondered if pipes, furnaces and autocrafters would work correctly. If yes, that would allow to, for instance, build glass while digging and laying it down the sea. It would allow my forest-eating plastic factory to be autonomous. But I fear pipes may be finicky to work with. Is there really no way to make node timers move around?

And yes, I would like a way for mesecons to trigger a start/stop signal and especially a turn signal. Even without being attached, I would make an automated and renewable forest harvester with that!

I would have loved to be able to attach a node detector to the machine and allow it to trtigger a "slope" event. Whenever the front line is above ground, make it go down one unit.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Yvanhoe wrote:Ok sorry about the overenthusiasm. Digtron is my favorite mod so far and the one that got me hooked into minetest.
That's fine, I just want to aim for feature parity with Digtron 1.0 first. The goal is to reduce bugs, not introduce new ones. :)
Yvanhoe wrote: The one thing I wanted to explore was what would happen if I were to add a block in digtron that would attach the 6 blocks touching it to the machine? I wondered if pipes, furnaces and autocrafters would work correctly.
It's hard to say, because mods are fully Turing-complete programs and can do basically anything they want to. So there's no telling what exactly will happen if I try to seize hold of a node and "relocate" it somewhere. Minetest wasn't written with the concept of "moving" a node, what Digtron does is destroy and recreate nodes adjacent to where they were previously. So to "move" an arbitrary node I'd need to be able to recreate it.

This should actually be possible with a lot of nodes. It's even possible to read a NodeTimerRef's state and recreate it somewhere else. But I'd be very wary of "gotchas", as we're already seeing with the existing Digtron sometimes leaving its inventory metadata in the wrong location. I could easily imagine running into order-of-operations problems where Digtron reads a timer in one node and the timer goes off before Digtron can recreate it in the next node, leaving everything in an inconsistent state.

So... let's leave this as a "maybe" for now. We'll see how easy it is once the hard part of rewriting Digtron is done. If I do the rewrite right it'll leave Digtron in a state that may make adding features like this easier in the future.

And I'm flattered you like Digtron so much. I'll try to make sure that DIGTRON 2.0 lives up to it. :)