[Mod] Digtron tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Modular tunnel boring/building machine [digtron][0

by FaceDeer » Post

If it's from Minecraft I will be quite surprised, I remember making all the bits of this mod from scratch and I haven't actually played Minecraft before. :)

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

I played Minecraft no long. I don`t like quite minecraft.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

FaceDeer wrote:If it's from Minecraft I will be quite surprised, I remember making all the bits of this mod from scratch and I haven't actually played Minecraft before. :)
he's got the point.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

This is such a "boring" mod :)

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Diamond knight wrote:This is such a "boring" mod :)
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

i couldn't do any worse joke. lol.

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

It can always be worse ;)

GreenDimond, it needs more cowbell!

On topic though, great mod! Put it on my little server :)

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

I was successfully able to build a moving vehicle with digtron - once.

Could you please, please add a block that does the function of digtron panel? it's currently very inconvenient to try to build something this way - and it seems overkill. I can see some exciting possibilities of transport vehicles, but the panels are very hard to use so I feel disinclined to try.

Spirit688
GitHub: spirit689

by Spirit688 » Post

Looks really good. It can dig down and wonderful replace for quarry)

Code: Select all

Error[Server]: ServerEnvironment::deactivateFarObjects(): id=1393 m_static_exists=true but static data doesn't actually exists in (32, -9, 7)
Tested and it seems he went too far)

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

ABJ wrote: Could you please, please add a block that does the function of digtron panel? it's currently very inconvenient to try to build something this way - and it seems overkill. I can see some exciting possibilities of transport vehicles, but the panels are very hard to use so I feel disinclined to try.
If you just want to add new structural elements that just move with the Digtron and don't do anything else fancy, it's super simple - just add "digtron = 1" to the node's groups. Digtron automatically incorporates anything with that group into the Digtron array.

There may be better mods out there for pure vehicle building, mind you. I didn't have that purpose foremost in mind when I made this.

TalkLounge
GitHub: TalkLounge
In-game: TalkLounge

by TalkLounge » Post

Very nice Mod for finding more ores.
Spoiler
dopik from the "Projekt Hirnfrei" Server built an 17 x 17 Digtron based on the original craft recipe.
Thats the 947 Meters path, from dopiks digtron.
Thats my tiny digtron for finding uranium.
Subgames Server: Sky World Subgames German Survival Server: Wildes Land 2 E-Mail: talklounge@yahoo.de

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

"tiny"

TalkLounge

by TalkLounge » Post

In relation to dopiks Digtron xd
Subgames Server: Sky World Subgames German Survival Server: Wildes Land 2 E-Mail: talklounge@yahoo.de

LRV
Helper
GitHub: Mooncarguy
In-game: Mooncarman Mooncarguy

by LRV » Post

Question do pipes attach to teh digtron?
This is a cool signature. :)

TalkLounge

by TalkLounge » Post

Only on the "Projekt Hirnfrei"-Server, because i added them.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

LRV wrote:Question do pipes attach to teh digtron?
Digtron has both Pipeworks and Hoppers compatibility, the various storage nodes will connect to pipeworks pipes when they move adjacent to them (and disconnect when they move away).

Oh, and I should mention that I've just added a new feature to Digtron builder heads after this reddit discussion. Builder heads can now be given an "extrusion" setting that lets them build a column of blocks of up to that length pointed in the direction the builder is oriented. This was asked for as a way for a bridge-building Digtron to put down support columns, but it's also been used by a skyscraper-building Digtron to produce floors without requiring a giant layer of solid builder heads.

DoyleChris
In-game: DoyleChris

by DoyleChris » Post

Trying to figure out how to set up the Build nodes to place torches and ladders.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

DoyleChris wrote:Trying to figure out how to set up the Build nodes to place torches and ladders.
You'll need to set the "facing" value for that builder node in order to get it to build torches and ladders in the correct orientation. The easiest way to do this is to build a torch or ladder in the place where the builder node would normally place items and then click the "Read & Save" button. This will update the facing value for that builder node to match the facing of the node in its output. You can copy and paste that value to other builder nodes if you want them to place the same thing in the same orientation.

Note that facing doesn't necessarily mean the same thing between different node types, so make sure you're using an example of the actual node you're planning on placing with the builder.

DoyleChris

by DoyleChris » Post

I was able to get the builder to put in a ceiling if there was sand or gravel with cobble stone.
But i had the cross hair side right up against the ceiling, do i put the builder for a torch and ladder right against the wall or space it out one node.

DoyleChris

by DoyleChris » Post

Are you able to attach normal or technic chests that hold more items in them.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

DoyleChris wrote:I was able to get the builder to put in a ceiling if there was sand or gravel with cobble stone.
But i had the cross hair side right up against the ceiling, do i put the builder for a torch and ladder right against the wall or space it out one node.
There needs to be an empty space adjacent to the cross hair side of the builder for it to be able to build something there. If the builder's cross hair side is pressed up against a solid node it won't build anything.

If you want to place a torch or ladder against a wall you can either move the builder away from the wall so that there's a gap between it and the wall, or you can rotate the builder to face "backward" in the opposite direction as the Digtron's direction of travel. Or rotate the builder to face up or down, for that matter. Just don't rotate a builder to face forward, otherwise it'll build something ahead of itself and then the Digtron will get stuck because it can't move into that space any more.
DoyleChris wrote:Are you able to attach normal or technic chests that hold more items in them.
No, only the three storage blocks that come with Digtron (fuel storage, item storage, and combined fuel/item storage) are used by Digtron when it's operating. You can add multiple storage blocks to a Digtron and it will make use of all of them, though.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Thanks to a contribution of code from Hans von Smacker, Digtron is now more environmentally-friendly! :) Hans has added the ability to use the [technic] mod's rechargable batteries to power Digtron. If you have technic installed, construct a "battery holder" module and add that to your Digtron to hold charged batteries.

I've not used technic much myself, so I have no idea how well "balanced" the battery power density is in actual play. There's a "power_ratio" value you can tweak in the mod's settings to give batteries more oomph; a technic battery has 10000 "charge units" and it gets divided by the power_ratio to turn it into "fuel units". A default coal lump provides 40 fuel units, and the default power_ratio is currently 100 so a full battery is equal to 2.5 lumps of coal. The battery holder holds 32 batteries, so a completely full battery holder is the equivalent of 80 lumps of coal. Let me know if this is dramatically under-powered or over-powered. I know it seems weak, but batteries are rechargeable from a variety of sources, including renewable ones. And based on my limited testing it seems like technic even gives excellent efficiency when burning coal to charge batteries so those seem like solid bonuses.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

That sounds epic!
What is SCP-055?

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Now that Hans got me started on technic, I spent a while longer figuring out how it works and added yet more technic support.

If you have the technic mod installed you can now craft an additional Digtron node, the "power connector." This is a HV-compatible technic power adapter that will allow you to power a Digtron using a power network directly. You'll need to tell it how much power to draw from the attached HV power network, right-click on it and this will bring up a formspec that lets you set the Digtron's appetite. It estimates a maximum possible power consumption that assumes all digger heads are digging the hardest material and all builder heads are building nodes simultaneously, if the power network is able to supply that amount of power then the Digtron should be able to run off of that entirely. If you lower the power consumption then the Digtron may need to use onboard power sources (batteries or burnable fuel) to make up any shortfall.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Added another new node type: the inventory ejector. When right-clicked this node will search Digtron's inventory for contents that are not needed by any of the builder heads and, if there's space at the ejector's output, will eject them. This is useful for retrieving the accumulated detritus that the Digtron has dug without having to rummage through all of the inventory nodes.

Inventory ejectors are compatible with Pipeworks, they'll connect up automatically with a pipeworks tube and inject items into it. So if you wanted to do massive excavations and collect all the resulting material back at base you could have Digtron lay pipeworks tubes for itself as it goes.