This mod contains a set of blocks that can be used to construct highly customizable and modular tunnel-boring machines, bridge-builders, road-pavers, wall-o-matics, and other such construction/destruction contraptions.
A digging machine's components must be connected to the control block via a path leading through the faces of the blocks - diagonal connections across edges and corners don't count.
The basic block types that can be assembled into a functioning digging machine are:
- Digger heads, which excavate material in front of them when the machine is triggered
- Builder heads, which build a user-configured node in the direction they're facing
- Inventory modules, which hold material produced by the digger and provide material to the builders
- Fuel modules, which holds flammable materials to feed the beast
- Control block, used to trigger the machine and move it in a particular direction.
Builder heads can be used to lay down a solid surface as the Digtron moves, useful for situations where a tunnel-borer intersects a cavern. Builder heads can be set to construct their target block "intermittently", allowing for regularly-spaced structures to be constructed. Common uses include building support arches at regular intervals in a tunnel, adding a torch on the wall at regular intervals, laying rails with regularly-spaced powered rails interspersed, and adding stairs to vertical shafts.
The auto-controller block is able to trigger automatically for a user-selected number of cycles. A player can ride their Digtron as it goes.
Other specialized Digtron blocks include:
- An "axle" block that allows an assembled Digtron to be rotated into new orientations without needing to be rebuilt block-by-block
- A crate that can store an assembled Digtron and allow the player to transport it to a new location
- A duplicator that can create a copy of an existing Digtron (if provided with enough spare parts)
- An item ejector to clear Digtron's inventory of excavated materials and inject it into pipeworks tubes if that mod is installed.
- A light that can be mounted on a Digtron to illuminate the workspace as it moves
- Structural components to make it look cool
- doc, an in-game documentation mod. Detailed documentation for all of the Digtron's individual blocks are included as well as pages of general concepts and design tips.
- pipeworks, a set of pneumatic tubes that allows inventory items to be extracted from or inserted into Digtron inventories.
- hopper, a different mod for inserting into and extracting from Digtron inventories. Note that only the most recent version of hopper is Digtron-capable, earlier versions lack a suitable API.
- awards, a mod that adds achievements to the game. Over thirty Digtron-specific achievements are included. Note that due to a crash bug in the current version of awards you should use this fork with Digtron until it is fixed in master.
- technic, which adds rechargeable batteries and power cables to the game that Digtron can use instead of fuel.