[Mod] Dwarf Fortress style caverns [dfcaverns]

uwu666

Re: [Mod] Dwarf Fortress style caverns [dfcaverns]

by uwu666 » Post

EDIT: It doesn't matter anymore, I'll leave it as it is :)
apparently this mod causes the coalblock to burn out and no longer serve to make permanent flame, how can I make permanent flame now?
Last edited by uwu666 on Tue May 26, 2020 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
cdb_71b6f99a808c

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 01:29
Oh, MisterE, did my hint help? Should I give more? It's always difficult figuring out how hard a puzzle is when you're designing it from the inside, I was worried I might have made this one too tough. I didn't want it to be a walk in the park either, though - on the journey through life one should slow down a bit to smell the flowers. Getting through the Slade should be an _accomplishment_. But if nobody's figuring it out that's no fun either, I'll try to think of more ways to insert clues into the game.
I won't lie, the puzzle was a real headscratcher, the color part was easy enough, but the order threw me for a loop for a while. Even looked at the code briefly, but I figured you wouldn't add a puzzle where people need to brute-force through millions of possible combinations. I sat in front of it, frustrated, and then it suddenly clicked. Very rewarding, and a very neat effect when you activate it.

Ended up adding Hamlet's dwarves and carving out a city of gold in the primordial layer which is my absolute favorite.

Great mod, a magnum opus even if in multiplayer it can be a bit taxing when people are exploring and generating new areas.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

this time i did not plunge to my death into the carverns from on high as i frolocked in a waterfall . though it did look very impressive on the way down . i now find i have burrowed up into it drawn by the voices of the dwarves , and now i am peeping out of my trapdoor .
puzzles you say ?.....hmmm
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

goats

by goats » Post

This mod breaks games and the engine since some point. First experienced in Hamlet's Quest (3.0.0, 3.1.x), MT 5.20 & 5.30. Now tested with plain MTG on 5.30.

After digging to some depth, usually right around y -50, but sometimes around y -110, the game engine half-dies. It might actually take some time to notice in some circumstances, but it can be easily checked: Try to type a chat command, e.g., /help. Nothing happens. If you are running from terminal or look at debug.txt, you will see that actions have stopped recording. (Much easier to tell exactly where if you are actually digging.)

Wielded light will lock to the spot where the engine broke, staying behind. Flowing water will stop. Moving things around in inventory results in them moving back after a second or so. You can place an infinite number of torches, given the space, without the inventory counter decrementing.

You can keep "playing", but nothing is written to the world database files any longer. If you can go far enough, or return the way you came, you will eventually hit permanently unloaded chunks.

The game will not exit to menu or OS. If running in a terminal, closing the terminal works, or otherwise sending MT a kill signal must be done in order to end the process.

There are no errors to be found in even a verbose debug log.
screenshot_20200714_081502.png
screenshot_20200714_081502.png (151.8 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
mtg_dfc.png
mtg_dfc.png (168.84 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

It's likely not breaking the engine, but rather the new overgeneration features are causing your system to lag. I bet if you walk away for a long time and come back, your caverns will be generated and your game will be working.

see: viewtopic.php?p=369320#p369320
and
see: viewtopic.php?p=369695#p369695

FaceDeer is aware that the latest version of this mod is more resource intensive than before. He expressed plans to me in a private conversation to update this in the future when possible to try to alleviate this. It was discussed a few posts ago too. If you cannot run this on your system, you might want to consider using the previous versions of subterrane, mapgen_helper, and df_caverns before the overgeneration features were added.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

All the symptoms you listed are typical for a non-response server (engine) that is saturating CPU with mapgen processing. I run a server and a game and I consider this mod to be the most heavy weight part of that game. I run a i7-3632QM with hyperthreading turned on in my server and it still lags the server sometimes. worth it for the caving aspect of the game though. I just stuck with it and chose to ride it out until it gets updated. I've considering rolling back the version, but have not done so at that point.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

goats

by goats » Post

Well, that entirely makes sense. I am, however, nowhere near the df content depths as i have seen described, (-50, -100) and the problem yet persists at the surface if i can manage to get back. Anything heavy could certainly overload this system, though, and if generation is yet occurring, i don't suppose it matters what depth i return to.

Thanks for the info!

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I expect it might have some effects on all mapgen since these supplementary mods seem to plug into that or override it in someways.

goats

by goats » Post

I bet if you walk away for a long time and come back, your caverns will be generated and your game will be working.

I decided to try this just for giggles. 20.75h and counting on an idle machine. :D

Anyway, i noticed some errors in the log so i opened a game again to check. I then re-downloaded from CDB both from the UI and manually from the link in the OP. The errors return each time. However, if i download the three mods from master and put them together, i do not see the errors. They look particularly odd in terminal, with a double quote replacing random characters. In debug, a double quote shows up on its own line between entries. They are all invalid bool in one of the settingtypes.txt files. I have no idea if this is any sort or concern, but i provide the output for perusal:
Spoiler
In terminal:

ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/subterrane/settingtypes.txt "subterrane_enable_legacy_dripstone (Adds old "ripstone node definitions) bool false
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_ca"erns/settingtypes.txt "[Cavern dimensions]
ERROR[Main]: Invalid float setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_cavern_threshold (Cavern threshold) f"oat 0.5 0.0 1.0
ERROR[Main]: Invalid float setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_sunless_sea_threshold (Cavern thresho"d for sunless sea) float 0.4 0.0 1.0
ERROR[Main]: Invalid float setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_tunnel_flooding_threshold (Tunnel flo"ding threshold) float 0.25 0.0 1.0
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_ca"erns/settingtypes.txt "[Cavern depth borders]
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_ca"erns/settingtypes.txt "[Lower Levels]
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_oil_sea (Generate oil sea) b"ol true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_lava_sea (Generate magma sea" bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_underworld (Generate underwo"ld) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_ca"erns/settingtypes.txt "[Underworld feature HUD]
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_underworld_hud_requires_item (Requi"e an item to view waypoints) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_show_pits_in_hud (Show pit location" in HUD) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_show_seals_in_hud (Seal locations i" HUD) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_show_ruins_in_hud (Ruin locations v"sible in HUD) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_ca"erns/settingtypes.txt "[Primordial]
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_primordial (Generate primord"al caverns) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_mapitems/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_snareweed_damage (Snareweed causes"damage to player) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_mapitems/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_invulnerable_slade (Slade cannot b" damaged) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_farming/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_light_kills_fungus (Light kills fun"us) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_underworld_items/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_invulnerable_slade (Slade "annot be damaged) bool true
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/mapgen_helper/settingtypes.txt "mapgen_helper_record_time (Enable time-tak"n logging) bool false
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/mapgen_helper/settingtypes.txt "mapgen_helper_persist_recorded_time (Persi"t time-taken logging between server sessions) bool false

In debug.txt:

ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/subterrane/settingtypes.txt "subterrane_enable_legacy_dripstone (Adds old dripstone node definitions) bool false
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "[Cavern dimensions]
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid float setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_cavern_threshold (Cavern threshold) float 0.5 0.0 1.0
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid float setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_sunless_sea_threshold (Cavern threshold for sunless sea) float 0.4 0.0 1.0
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid float setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_tunnel_flooding_threshold (Tunnel flooding threshold) float 0.25 0.0 1.0
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "[Cavern depth borders]
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "[Lower Levels]
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_oil_sea (Generate oil sea) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_lava_sea (Generate magma sea) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_underworld (Generate underworld) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "[Underworld feature HUD]
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_underworld_hud_requires_item (Require an item to view waypoints) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_show_pits_in_hud (Show pit locations in HUD) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_show_seals_in_hud (Seal locations in HUD) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_show_ruins_in_hud (Ruin locations visible in HUD) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid line in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "[Primordial]
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_caverns/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_enable_primordial (Generate primordial caverns) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_mapitems/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_snareweed_damage (Snareweed causes damage to player) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_mapitems/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_invulnerable_slade (Slade cannot be damaged) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_farming/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_light_kills_fungus (Light kills fungus) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/df_underworld_items/settingtypes.txt "dfcaverns_invulnerable_slade (Slade cannot be damaged) bool true
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/mapgen_helper/settingtypes.txt "mapgen_helper_record_time (Enable time-taken logging) bool false
"
ERROR[Main]: Invalid boolean setting in /dfcaverns/mapgen_helper/settingtypes.txt "mapgen_helper_persist_recorded_time (Persist time-taken logging between server sessions) bool false
"

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

goats wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 23:07
I bet if you walk away for a long time and come back, your caverns will be generated and your game will be working.

I decided to try this just for giggles. 20.75h and counting on an idle machine. :D

Anyway, i noticed some errors in the log so i opened a game again to check. I then re-downloaded from CDB both from the UI and manually from the link in the OP. The errors return each time. However, if i download the three mods from master and put them together, i do not see the errors. They look particularly odd in terminal, with a double quote replacing random characters. In debug, a double quote shows up on its own line between entries. They are all invalid bool in one of the settingtypes.txt files. I have no idea if this is any sort or concern, but i provide the output for perusal:
Same invalid booleans and lines; what fixed the settings not loading for me was to add a blank line above each of the affected files, except df_caverns/settingtypes.txt, for which you add a space under each text in square parenthesis.

Since I don't know if these settings were disabled on purpose, I would wait for confirmation from the mod author to see if it's safe to activate them or not!
Jump in the caac

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Peculiar errors. I'm not seeing them, obviously, since I work directly with the version in Git rather than the one downloaded from CDB. But by happy coincidence I'm gearing up to do a minor release in a matter of days (no major changes to DFCavern's overall nature, just added a few new decorative features and something nasty lurking in the Underworld layer) so I'll play around with the CDB version and fix up the settingtypes.txt files if I can figure out what's going wrong there.

goats

by goats » Post

Yeah it's odd that the errors are somehow introduced only in CDB files.

Anyway seems like a very cool mod, someday i hope to have a machine that can run it with the overgeneration.

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 16:14
Peculiar errors. I'm not seeing them, obviously, since I work directly with the version in Git rather than the one downloaded from CDB. But by happy coincidence I'm gearing up to do a minor release in a matter of days (no major changes to DFCavern's overall nature, just added a few new decorative features and something nasty lurking in the Underworld layer) so I'll play around with the CDB version and fix up the settingtypes.txt files if I can figure out what's going wrong there.
Nice! I hope the bug will be patched from the CDB release then.
Jump in the caac

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

Looking forward to trying the new version FaceDeer. Happy to see updates :)

-FreeGamers
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

It's been - to put it mildly - a rather rough year in my real-life life. I'm hoping that's past me now, and part of getting it past me is returning to old hobbies like Minetest. So I'm looking forward to new versions too. :)

The branch I'm doing my work in is https://github.com/FaceDeer/dfcaverns/t ... und_covers, if you want a sneak preview you could try grabbing that. Note that if you're using my "namegen" mod to allow for named underworld ruins and pits then I should mention that I just renamed namegen to https://github.com/FaceDeer/name_generator - I want to put it in ContentDB but there was already a mod called "namegen" in there.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 02:25
It's been - to put it mildly - a rather rough year in my real-life life. I'm hoping that's past me now, and part of getting it past me is returning to old hobbies like Minetest. So I'm looking forward to new versions too. :)

The branch I'm doing my work in is https://github.com/FaceDeer/dfcaverns/t ... und_covers, if you want a sneak preview you could try grabbing that. Note that if you're using my "namegen" mod to allow for named underworld ruins and pits then I should mention that I just renamed namegen to https://github.com/FaceDeer/name_generator - I want to put it in ContentDB but there was already a mod called "namegen" in there.
Glad to hear that you've got some respite from your troubles - really looking forward to further updates, especially if they add some more life...or death down in the deeps.

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

Honestly, don't sweat it man. Its been a weird year.

I had started the year off with new year resolutions to be more social, outgoing, and to work out more at a gym. But its been a really tough year to meet those goals. It's been a bit exhausting to me keeping up with everything going on in the news and my life too. I'm sure you had those things on top of what else you went through this year. Sincerest regards.

I've been a bit inactive with Minetest lately too, but still aim to start developing more as soon as possible. I'll be still around on MeseCraft.net and here if you ever want to shoot me a message.
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

timsoft
GitHub: timsoftgit

by timsoft » Post

a quick question. How do you dig glowstone in the primordial caves without it exploding? I've just got deep enough (-3500+) to find them. They look impressive. I want to try and collect some and use it for underground farming. I'm using this mod via hamlets quest, and satiation for food receipes of cavern related food seems not to be working anymore since the move from 0.4.x to 5.3 compatibility. Would that be in the df-caverns mod, that satiation support would need to be (re-)added, or in one of the farming/food mods? thanks.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I haven't put in any specific way to dig the glowstone without it exploding, much like Slade it was intended as a mysterious fixture of the lost places of the world rather than as an exploitable resource. Though you could build a farm around them in-place, perhaps, without disturbing them. If you could move them around they become just another form of Mese light and I'm not keen on that.

I have to admit, I don't get much opportunity to actually play with my mods. I was unaware that the food wasn't working right. What mod provides satiation? I'll test it out and see if I can fix it. Also since I don't have much player experience I would very much like to hear any feedback from players about how the balance of my mods feels. Is there anything that feels unexpectedly easy or hard? Bearing in mind of course that some things are supposed to be hard. :)

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

apparently the mod providing satiation is Hunger NG
see this post to see an example of adding satiation etc to food.

viewtopic.php?p=384976#p384976

slade took me a while to figure how to get through it, and some enabling of stuff in hamlets quest which was using your df-caverns mod. :-)

regarding balance; once cave food actually satiates I'll be able to comment further. At the moment I have to bring food down from the surface, which takes 15mins or more so just to get up to the surface with mese boots, then a good few minutes to fall back down, so fixing that will be really welcome. Gas was a tricky surprise, because it is hard to see, and I wasn't expecting it; gas filled caves are tedious to explore, water filled ones aren't as bad, but you need light sources to see where you're going, because (hard) torches are no use in water. oil was interesting too, you've done a really good job with so much variety. I'm keeping going down in case there are more biomes I haven't come across yet. Is there any documentation on the different biomes? how to plant stuff, etc.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

I did some experimentation with a branch of wielded_light to try to make it work underwater, but it's been a little too unreliable and flickery to offer a pull request yet. I'm thinking of trying to come up with a way to place spindlestem vial light sources underwater more nicely, they're easy to craft and they're not fire-related so it seems like the perfect thing to use in an underwater cave. Or a gas-filled one, for that matter.

There are two separate methods I had in mind for penetrating the Slade layer, three if you have an enormous amount of TNT handy and are ready for a tedious time blasting your way through it node by node. A tunnel tube farm might help with that option. :)

There's a somewhat detailed guide to the biomes and flora here, though it doesn't go into a great deal of detail about everything you can do with it all. Over the years I've put details in that I actually forgot about myself and only rediscovered later.

If you think of any neat ideas for things to add or tweak feel free to run them up the flagpole, I can't guarantee I'll implement any (I have a personal sort of "feel" I'm going for with this mod so I reserve the right to arbitrarily say no to stuff) but by way of example all of the stuff in the biomes below the Slade layer originated when another modder handed me a big pile of textures and said "want to do something with this?"

Edit: I've put hunger_ng support into the ground_cover branch. I expect I'll be merging that branch into master very soon now. I'm just waiting on one of my other mods (name_generator) getting accepted into the contentDB now, dfcaverns has an optional dependency on it.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

wonderful. thanks. I look forward to food working with hunger_ng;
Yes, I used the tnt to get through slade, it took a while and about 150 blocks of tnt, but it worked. :-) I did find some stuff online about digging below it, but I gave up trying that, the layer was too wide spread and deep.
thanks for the biome and flora guide link. It looks like I missed a bunch of biomes on my way down. I'll have to do some more exporing :-).

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Okay, I've merged the ground_cover branch and updated contentDB to the latest version. hunger_ng should be supported once your server updates.

I'll probably take a little break from DFCaverns now, unless some amazing idea grips me, and work on some of my other more neglected mods. Next time I come back to DFCaverns I'll try to do some profiling and see if I can resolve some of the issues that have been reported with it simply being too heavyweight a mod. Can't guarantee anything there, it is doing rather a lot in mapgen and I've tried to be efficient in my initial pass at writing this stuff, but worth a shot.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 23:39
Next time I come back to DFCaverns I'll try to do some profiling and see if I can resolve some of the issues that have been reported with it simply being too heavyweight a mod. Can't guarantee anything there, it is doing rather a lot in mapgen and I've tried to be efficient in my initial pass at writing this stuff, but worth a shot.
That would really be great, I've never personally tested dfcaverns on a server, but I have heard from server operators that it is heavier than cavern_realms/cavern_realms_lite. Personally however I'm a big fan of the thought you put into the different biomes in dfcaverns as well as how nicely it plays with your other auxiliary mods, so it'd be great to see it be server ready.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:38
FaceDeer wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 23:39
Next time I come back to DFCaverns I'll try to do some profiling and see if I can resolve some of the issues that have been reported with it simply being too heavyweight a mod. Can't guarantee anything there, it is doing rather a lot in mapgen and I've tried to be efficient in my initial pass at writing this stuff, but worth a shot.
That would really be great, I've never personally tested dfcaverns on a server, but I have heard from server operators that it is heavier than cavern_realms/cavern_realms_lite. Personally however I'm a big fan of the thought you put into the different biomes in dfcaverns as well as how nicely it plays with your other auxiliary mods, so it'd be great to see it be server ready.
Yes, it's a masterful ☼mod☼! (See what I did there?)

In our experience, with more than about 4 concurrent players, it pushes a dedicated i7 to the limit. It would probably be OK, except that most players who are drawn to that server are explorers, and not so much builders. Too bad, really. There are so many great new materials. A builder could have a lot of fun with it.