[Mod] Dwarf Fortress style caverns [dfcaverns]

alerikaisattera
GitHub: alerikaisattera

Re: [Mod] Dwarf Fortress style caverns [dfcaverns]

by alerikaisattera » Post

I see these puzzle are mostly intended to contain items for solving puzzle seals rather than some type of rewards, but allowing mods to add their own items there is still a good idea.

Also, a few questions:

What are slade seals (not puzzle seals) intended for?

Would it be possible to add cavern layers further below primordial?

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

FaceDeer wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 17:36
Thought so. :) I did tidy them up a little more in the most recent update, I got rid of their fuzzy edges. Hopefully that helps.
Much better, thanks! Looking forward to seeing what's next for DFCaverns.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

The slade seals are just decorative. I had some generic lore in mind for the underworld, that ages ago a great civilization fought a war with "demons" of some sort and sealed them away. The Primordial caverns ended up being the realm that was sealed away, but before the Primordial layers came along I put those seals in there to serve as tombs where the "demons" had been locked up. They randomly generate an occasional claws-scraping-on-stone sound to further that impression, but I never actually came up with something to put under them. Maybe someday when I finally get into mob modding I might make something horrible to have released if a player manages to break one.

Additional layers could indeed be added under Primordial, I've just never had a compelling idea that launched me on the major bit of work that would be required to do it. Even the Primordial only came about because a user by the name of Clockgen came to me and said "hey, I made a ton of textures for some underground biomes I was thinking of modding up someday, but I think I'm never going to get round to it. Want to use them?" And basically gave me everything that's down there. There was still a bunch of work to turn them all into nodes and work them into the mapgen, but art is hard so credit where credit is due. :)

A goal of mine at this point is to try to ensure that every environment in DFCaverns feels "unique", with some kind of special property or feel to it that none of the other environments have. So it gets increasingly difficult to add new stuff over time. I did mess about with an idea I called "bubble caves" back before I went on that little modding hiatus, I just threw it in this branch if you want to take a look. It's a layer from -5000 to -6000 where the rock is made sort of "foamy" by adding big spherical hollows, some with a glowstone hovering in the center. It looked neat but I didn't have any ideas for how to make them more than just a bunch of hollow spaces in the rock, so I set that aside.

I've also played around with writing a dungeon generation mod over the years, I'd like to make something that can produce interconnected kilometers-long artificial tunnels and such. If I ever get that working to my satisfaction I'd love to use it to add a lost dead civilization underneath the Slade to go along with the primordial layer's wilderness.

ltmauve

by ltmauve » Post

Hey, I got a couple of crashes from this.

Code: Select all

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'df_caverns' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_trees/tunnel_tube.lua:444: attempt to call global 'string' (a table value)
stack traceback:
	...\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_trees/tunnel_tube.lua:444: in function 'spawn_tunnel_tube_vm'
	...mes\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_caverns/level2.lua:137: in function 'tunnel_tube_cavern_floor'
	...mes\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_caverns/level2.lua:213: in function 'decorate'
	...games\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua:589: in function <...games\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua:357>
	...ps\minetest-5.6.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:431: in function <...ps\minetest-5.6.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:417>

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'df_ambience' in callback environment_Step(): ...mes\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_caverns/level3.lua:50: attempt to compare nil with number
stack traceback:
	...mes\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_caverns/level3.lua:50: in function 'val'
	...mes\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_caverns/shared.lua:34: in function 'get_biome'
	...ames\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_ambience\init.lua:57: in function 'get_player_data'
	...ames\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_ambience\init.lua:81: in function 'get_ambience'
	...ames\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_ambience\init.lua:105: in function <...ames\mesecraft\mods\WORLD\dfcaverns\df_ambience\init.lua:91>
	...ps\minetest-5.6.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:431: in function <...ps\minetest-5.6.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:417>

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

mesecraft uses an old version of the mod, so you mhy solve your issues by updating the mod.

ltmauve

by ltmauve » Post

Ah, thanks I hadn't consider that at all.(And it looks like the second crash was already fixed, too.)

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Is this modpack compatible with underground challenge?
cdb_894a100ddd76

Kilogold

by Kilogold » Post

I keep getting this error.

2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mcl_core' in callback luaentity_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'mcl_core' in callback item_OnPlace(): ...netest\bin\..\mods\dfcaverns\df_achievements/farming.lua:63: attempt to index local 'placer' (a nil
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]:  value)
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...netest\bin\..\mods\dfcaverns\df_achievements/farming.lua:63: in function 'callback'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	F:\Minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\item.lua:280: in function <F:\Minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\item.lua:146>
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'place_node'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...n\..\games\mineclone2\mods\ENTITIES\mobs_mc/enderman.lua:518: in function 'do_custom'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...t\bin\..\games\mineclone2\mods\ENTITIES\mcl_mobs/api.lua:4540: in function 'on_step_old'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...mes\mineclone2\mods\ENVIRONMENT\mcl_void_damage\init.lua:24: in function <...mes\mineclone2\mods\ENVIRONMENT\mcl_void_damage\init.lua:23>
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'place_node'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...n\..\games\mineclone2\mods\ENTITIES\mobs_mc/enderman.lua:518: in function 'do_custom'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...t\bin\..\games\mineclone2\mods\ENTITIES\mcl_mobs/api.lua:4540: in function 'on_step_old'
2023-01-16 16:09:20: ERROR[Main]: 	...mes\mineclone2\mods\ENVIRONMENT\mcl_void_damage\init.lua:24: in function <...mes\mineclone2\mods\ENVIRONMENT\mcl_void_damage\init.lua:23>

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

df_achievements/farming.lua:63: attempt to index local 'placer' (a nil value)
Means it's under the mistaken impression that only a player can place an object. The code in line 63 there will have to be gated behind an "if placer" to avoid a crash if there isn't a placer involved.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Does anybody have some advice on running this mod without the dynamic liquid mod without making a mess of the deeper biomes?

I recently installed it without that mod (though I did install magma conduits). I just didn't really like how much the dynamic liquid mod changes water behaviour, like if you scoop a bucket out of the ocean, it makes 'dips' in the water and turns the rest to flowing.

However, now I noticed that if I dig down to the first big caves with mushrooms, I often hit these huge chambers with massive columns of water and lava just pouring down, often into each other, making stone and magma stone. It could gets pretty laggy for less powerful client and it's almost impossible to navigate. It's also just kind of unsightly. I am not running any other mods that modify the underground, except some that add decorations (none to do with water or lava).

Are there any settings I can use to prevent this abundance of water and lava, or do you basically have to play with dynamic liquid? If it's the latter, is there a way to make the dynamic liquid mod not mess up the default behaviour of rivers and oceans?

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

freshreplicant, I believe this questions have more to do with dynamic liquids than DFCaves.
Are there any settings I can use to prevent this abundance of water and lava, or do you basically have to play with dynamic liquid? If it's the latter, is there a way to make the dynamic liquid mod not mess up the default behaviour of rivers and oceans?
Yes, there is. At least to an extent. If you are experiencing laggy there is an option in dynamic liquids which allow users to slow the ABM down if they want to trade off the lag for more sluggish water movement. This was added to mitigate the exact problem you are facing, larger caves being filled by water, so it should work.
cdb_894a100ddd76

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 14:34
freshreplicant, I believe this questions have more to do with dynamic liquids than DFCaves.
Yes, there is. At least to an extent. If you are experiencing laggy there is an option in dynamic liquids which allow users to slow the ABM down if they want to trade off the lag for more sluggish water movement. This was added to mitigate the exact problem you are facing, larger caves being filled by water, so it should work.
It's not really related to dynamic liquids directly, as I don't have it installed. I was hoping I wouldn't have to have it installed, despite it being recommended on the dfcaverns mod page.

I did some more exploring and most of the caves seem fine actually, it just seems to be one particular large cave with big waterfalls and lava falls. Makes me wonder if it's actually some kind of underground biome that intentionally adds both. I noticed that one of the lava pockets added by the lava conduits mod was breached by a decoration from another unrelated mod, so that might explain that one specific lava fall. The others however don't have any similar clear breaches, so I guess the cave just opened up into the lava pockets.

edwinfox
GitHub: edwin-fox

by edwinfox » Post

I'm a hardcore DF player for more than a decade now and I am absolutely fascinated by your mod! It's impressive, it's HUGE! That's a masterpiece!

I've installed it on Mineclone 2 along with other grand mods such as Villages, Cottages, Advanced Trains, and Currency in a new world using the 'dwarffortress' seed - surprisingly, the 'embark' village leads diagonally downwards to one of those gigantic, breathtaking Fungiwood biomes. I was truly marveled, really, no amount of words suffice how amazed I was when I first saw the underground vastness of it.

I'd really, really like to help make this mod gameplay a lifetime DF experience, integrating it with other mods as I test them out (so far, running with 20+ other mods w/o any noticeable conflict or CTD) and thus emulating 'how would a 3D Dwarf Fortress game be like?' as much as possible. Now, I'm on a kind of personal quest to 'port' the world into a more dwarfey gameplay experience - by adding 'embark items' (server vendor shops for essential items/armor/tools and for buying stone) so that players could enjoy more of building, exploring, and spelunking without worrying about broken tools or too-hard-to-get starter items.

That being said, I really miss some mob challenge - something like the other biomes' darkness spawns, or even some cave pockets spawning 'forgotten beasts' (which could be either vanilla OP mobs or modded foes - so far I'm adding them manually using spawn cages or spawn eggs at strategic spots, but that's a far-from-ideal solution as it limits the 'risk zones' for players to places I've already gone and spawned mobs). I am no programmer (I'm a 10+ys Linux user though, so I can kinda 'read' .lua scripts?) so I was taking a look at the mod's and the game's .lua deps (like spawning.lua, df_caves .lua, etc) so as to understand how mob spawn works and see if I could add a spawn string to underground biomes below bedrock.

I saw some comments on some of your .lua modfiles and as far as I understood, the game core doesn't count the mod's biomes as properly 'biomes' and that's why no mobs spawn below bedrock - is that right?

Is it too difficult to make the game engine reckon those new biomes for spawning? As I said, my programming skills are really low, so I can only guess. I'd love to help you out in whatever I can to make the underground mob spawning work.

That all being said, feel free to visit my server/world! PM me and I'll send you the coords to the server. Thanks!

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

Minetest 5.8

2023-08-17 00:05:52: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'df_caverns' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...est/bin/../mods/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:53: attempt to index local 'humiditymap' (a nil value)
2023-08-17 00:05:52: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2023-08-17 00:05:52: ERROR[Main]: ...est/bin/../mods/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:53: in function <...est/bin/../mods/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:9>
2023-08-17 00:05:52: ERROR[Main]: /home/mt888/minetest/bin/../builtin/common/register.lua:26: in function </home/mt888/minetest/bin/../builtin/common/register.lua:12>

summerlis
GitHub: summerlis
In-game: winterfol

by summerlis » Post

Hey! I've been using this mod with Mineclone2, but it seems like stone stops generating below roughly ~Y -2062:
I did modify Mineclone2 slightly to replace the bedrock layer with deepslate, as it would be impossible to reach the deeper layers without finding a chasm - but I tested it again without the modification and it still seems to be happening.
Does this happen to anyone else? And if so, does anyone know a fix for this?

EDIT:
Turns out the blocks are there, they are just invisible and non-interactable.

EDIT:
I fixed it!

I had to manually place a part of "df_dependencies/config.lua" inside of "mcl_init/init.lua" because the value "mg_overworld_min" gets ovewritten later into the script.

At the top of mcl_init/init.lua put:

local df_lowest_elevation = 0

if minetest.get_modpath("df_dependencies") then
	if minetest.settings:get_bool("dfcaverns_enable_oil_sea") then
		df_lowest_elevation = tonumber(minetest.settings:get("dfcaverns_oil_sea_level"))
	end
	if minetest.settings:get_bool("dfcaverns_enable_lava_sea") then
		df_lowest_elevation = tonumber(minetest.settings:get("dfcaverns_lava_sea_level"))
	end
	if minetest.settings:get_bool("dfcaverns_enable_underworld") then
		df_lowest_elevation = tonumber(minetest.settings:get("dfcaverns_underworld_level"))
	end
	if minetest.settings:get_bool("dfcaverns_enable_primordial") then
		df_lowest_elevation = tonumber(minetest.settings:get("dfcaverns_primordial_min"))
	end
	df_lowest_elevation = df_lowest_elevation - 193 -- add a little buffer space
end
Then later into the script, add:

[..etc_value] + df_lowest_elevation
Every time:

mcl_vars.mg_overworld_min
Is changed.

This also fixed the bedrock generating way too high.
Last edited by summerlis on Fri Aug 25, 2023 20:27, edited 2 times in total.

MetaNomad
In-game: MetaNomad

by MetaNomad » Post

Hello,

I'm having this error (and crash) coming back and back when I reach the primordial layer :

AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'df_caverns' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...na_lite\mods\dfcaverns\mapgen_helper/place_schematic.lua:91: attempt to index local 'schematic' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...na_lite\mods\dfcaverns\mapgen_helper/place_schematic.lua:91: in function 'get_schematic_bounding_box'
	...na_lite\mods\dfcaverns\mapgen_helper/place_schematic.lua:298: in function 'place_schematic_on_data_if_it_fits'
	...ames\asuna_lite\mods\dfcaverns\df_caverns/primordial.lua:184: in function 'jungle_cavern_floor'
	...ames\asuna_lite\mods\dfcaverns\df_caverns/primordial.lua:295: in function 'decorate'
	...n\..\games\asuna_lite\mods\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua:589: in function <...n\..\games\asuna_lite\mods\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua:357>
	...ev\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:446: in function <...ev\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:432>
But I have to say that I'm building my own "mod soup" based on Asuna game, and I've tweaked some code here and there on others mods. Also, I desactivated chasms, big_webs, pit_caves and df_achievements of the mod-pack (there was no dependencies, so...). It's maybe not the best set-up to report a crash, it can come from me...

I'm pretty busy this week, but next week will be quieter, so if you need it I can test it on a blank game and try to reproduce.

Colj

by Colj » Post

Hello! I'm trying to play Minetest 5.7.0 + Mineclonia 0.91.0 + dfcaverns and have some issues:
viewtopic.php?p=430390#p430390

I was recommended to try
https://github.com/FaceDeer/dfcaverns/a ... master.zip
I did properly put it into mods folder and removed "-master" in its name, but when I press Select Mods I still get the error
viewtopic.php?p=430409#p430409
and when I press just Play Game I get

An error occurred in a Lua script:

ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Games\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua:
C:\Games\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua: No such file or directory
Check debug.txt for details.
What should I do?

Nininik
GitHub: nininik0
IRC: nininik
In-game: nininik

by Nininik » Post

Colj wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 17:20
Hello! I'm trying to play Minetest 5.7.0 + Mineclonia 0.91.0 + dfcaverns and have some issues:
viewtopic.php?p=430390#p430390

I was recommended to try
https://github.com/FaceDeer/dfcaverns/a ... master.zip
I did properly put it into mods folder and removed "-master" in its name, but when I press Select Mods I still get the error
viewtopic.php?p=430409#p430409
and when I press just Play Game I get

An error occurred in a Lua script:

ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Games\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua:
C:\Games\minetest-5.7.0-win64\bin\..\mods\dfcaverns\subterrane\init.lua: No such file or directory
Check debug.txt for details.
What should I do?
thats because theres probably no init.lua inside of it, make sure to check the files.
↯Glory to Team Thunderstrike!↯
↯T.T.S.↯

Colj

by Colj » Post

Oh yes, its subterrane and mapgen_helper folders are empty. I've filled them from normal version and it works. I'll see if any errors appear further. Thank you!

AngryWookie

by AngryWookie » Post

Hate for my first post to be a question like this but I really need help.

Just installed DF on my server and immediately knew that the mod was staying. There's no backing out.

The issue I'm having is (I believe) cavern gas causing major lag. Sometimes up to a full minute or more of unplayability. Unloading mod from world.mt only breaks the server.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere to disable the cavern gas? If no, how can this be done?

Thank you for your patience and tips are always welcome.