[Mod] Hyperloop [hyperloop]

zm78
GitHub: zander999
IRC: [none]
In-game: zm78

Re: [Mod] Hyperloop [hyperloop]

by zm78 » Post

joe7575 wrote:My new approach for Hyperloop:
Building of a Hyperloop network should only be able on one level. That means all stations have to be on the same height (Y-position). This seems to be more realistic. Otherwise the pods can’t reach their high speed. :-)
To reach the station level I will add an elevator option, based on the same manner as the Hyperloop network with elevator shafts and cabins.
To reach other locations on different levels you have to use the more “classic” transportation mods like rails and so on.
This would lead to a more diversified approach in the Minetest world with different transportation system and not the “one fits all” approach from now.

Any thoughts on that?
Sounds great! Maybe allow wifi tubes(portal like) be built on different levels? and hyperloop tubes that connect to a
elevator will significantly slow down the trip?

Parnikkapore
In-game: Parnikkapore

by Parnikkapore » Post

BTW, where are the Hyperloop.stations on your RPi server?

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

Sounds great! Maybe allow wifi tubes(portal like) be built on different levels? and hyperloop tubes that connect to a elevator will significantly slow down the trip?
Yes, WiFi tubes will remain as they are.
BTW, where are the Hyperloop.stations on your RPi server?
When you spawn you should see the coloured cubes. Otherwise I still have an issue with the spawn Mod. Did you try "/spawn" ?
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

There is a new version 0.06 on GitHub with the following features:
- Tubes now can have a maximum of 2 % slope (1 block up / down to 50 blocks in one level). This should be more realistic to real world.
- Additional elevator system with cars and shaft blocks to reach the different tube levels
- Crafting recipe for the Station Core (junction block, seat, display, ...) to simplify the station construction
- Deco blocks for the stations
- recipes for all blocks
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

joe7575

RTFM

by joe7575 » Post

I got some feedback that it is much too complicated.
Nobody reads the f***ing manual. It should be possible to figure it out, how the stations and networks are constructed by playing around.

Perhaps I integrate a "auto-build" feature in the junction block, so that the station pod will be built automatically?

Any further suggestions are welcome…

joe7575

[Mod] Hyperloop [hyperloop] [v0.08]

by joe7575 » Post

There is a new version on GitHub which is a big step to the first release.
New features:
- Stations Block to automatically build the pod/car (to simplify the building)
- Booking Machine allows ground and wall mounting
- Tube Robot to automatically build tubes
- Stations Signs
- Promo Poster for station advertisement
- Elevator to reach other levels
- Tube Crowbar to crack tube lines (for admins)
- chat hints for builders

The code is not compatible to the older version. That means, tubes can be reused, stations not.
I have abandoned the slope approach, tubes can be built free again. But there is a settings option for "tubes in one network only on one level" which is currently activated.
Edit:
To enable free building, add the following line somewhere in the file "minetest.conf":

Code: Select all

hyperloop_free_tube_placement_enabled = true
Last edited by joe7575 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 06:09, edited 2 times in total.

hajo

by hajo » Post

joe7575 wrote:Building of a Hyperloop network should only be able on one level.
That means all stations have to be on the same height (Y-position).
So, how to combine two nets that were built at different heights ?

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

hajo wrote:
joe7575 wrote:Building of a Hyperloop network should only be able on one level.
That means all stations have to be on the same height (Y-position).
So, how to combine two nets that were built at different heights ?
The short answer: By means of elevators or WiFi Blocks

The long one:
It should be a bigger challenge and at the end more fun, to build the network on one level with all the obstacles on the way. But of course, it needs some coordination between the players to agree on one level. When you place the first tube block, you will get a chat hint on that. If players ignore that and you get several networks on different levels, you could connect them for example at the spawn by means of elevators and stairways like Subway stations in bigger cities.

Or there is an admin around who spends 2 WiFi Blocks to solve the issue.

Or you allow free building without any level limitations.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

An introductional video to Hyperloop is online: https://youtu.be/wNeCGb9ABfE
The video resolution is poor but I don't have the necessary bandwidth for upload HD videos.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Okay my experiment of using horizontal elevators failed. I was thinking the junction boxes work on 6 points (top/bottom) not 4.

The idea is I have a really large space dome structure with multilevel section. The idea was to run a hyperloop circuit from entrances to back of the dome to engineering then up to top of the dome in C&C. So the elevators drop into false ceiling run to the back then drop to another elevator.

C&C
|
|
_| _________________ Ent ___________ ground level
+ -------------------------------+ / / / / / / / / / / / /
Eng

Well that was the plan. This is on Regulus Mars Server, Mars Dome, FarAway if you want to see the setup.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Okay my experiment of using horizontal elevators failed. I was thinking the junction boxes work on 6 points (top/bottom) not 4.
You can't combine elevator shafts with junction nodes. This will not work.
And yes its true, elevators currently work in vertical direction only.

Do you want to have elevators moving in all directions as configurable option?
I am currently reworking the Hyperloop mod. It would be possible to allow this feature.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

That would be cool. Star Trek had turbo lifts which traveled the length and height of the ship and in a space based world that would be cool.

Also giving that horizontal and vertical tubes could connect would be nice. I always though junction boxes were for taking corners, ups and downs.

This is first time using hyperloop and I using mostly with elevators and largely traveling under 100m. I've yet to setup a station though I'm into community building. I might be building a new site but would have the admin setup the hyperloop station.

Another problem is operating the elevator, you have to click on the bottom of the elevator. Clicking the top doesn't function.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:That would be cool. Star Trek had turbo lifts which traveled the length and height of the ship and in a space based world that would be cool.
I probably promised that too recklessly, but I will see what I can do.
Michael Eh? wrote: Also giving that horizontal and vertical tubes could connect would be nice. I always though junction boxes were for taking corners, ups and downs.
In v2 (WIP) the junctions will allow up to 6 connections (depending on the settings).
Michael Eh? wrote:Another problem is operating the elevator, you have to click on the bottom of the elevator. Clicking the top doesn't function.
Strange, I can't reproduce this issue.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

v2 is available on GitHub

What is different:
  • some textures changed
  • the Elevator Shafts can now be used as ladder/climbing shafts
  • the Crowbar is public available, but cracking a tube line need 'hyperloop' privs
  • the Station Book is improved and simplified to find stations, junctions, and open tube ends
  • a Waypoint plate is added to mark and easier find the tube destination
  • Elevator shafts can be build in all directions (optional)
  • WiFi Tubes can be crafted and placed by players (optional)
  • intllib support added (German translation available)
  • Wiki page with addition information
Migration from v1 to v2
The logic behind the tubes/shafts has changed. Hyperloop now uses tubelib2 as tube library.
That means, available worlds have to be migrated for the new tubes. This is done automatically but
has some risks. Therefore:
I recommend to backup your world first or test the migration from v1 to v2 on a copy of your world!!!

wziard

by wziard » Post

I get lots and lots 9about 1 every second) of these:

2018-12-28 11:21:45: ERROR[Server]: ModMetadata[hyperloop]: failed write file.
In my server's output.

Any idea what's wrong/how tot debug?

This is on a reasonably recent (but not the latest) 5.0.0. dev minetest btw

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

Hyperloop uses "minetest.get_mod_storage()" to store the station data from time to time.
The error occurs in the core function "ModMetadata::save()":

bool w_ok = fs::safeWriteToFile(
			root_path + DIR_DELIM + m_mod_name, fastWriteJson(json));

if (w_ok) {
		m_modified = false;
	} else {
		errorstream << "ModMetadata[" << m_mod_name << "]: failed write file."
			    << std::endl;
}
The location of the file on your server should be: /minetest/worlds/world/mod_storage/hyperloop

I have no idea, what went wrong. I have never tested against v5.0.0.
But I assume some disk space or file permission issue...

wziard

by wziard » Post

Found it. My mistake. I use apparmor to watch my open server, and had forgotten to whitelist the mod_storage directory. As I had completely forgotten about apparmor it cost my quite some headscratching and re-re-re-checking permissions before I figured it out :D

wziard

by wziard » Post

How do you call the elevator if it's at the other end? I tried clicking on the button outside, but the doors remain closed.

Also, I created a *long* tube using worldedit, but it won't hook up. Is there some way I can make it re-evaluate it's connections?
edit: woops. and now I got a crash:

-Create long pipe with worldedit set_nodes
-break block from somewhere in the pipe using the crowbar
-add junction block inbetween
-use (mese?)pickace to break junction block => server crashed

2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '' in callback node_on_dig(): ~/.minetest/mods/tubelib2/internal2.lua:307: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'num' (a nil value)
2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]:       ~/.minetest/mods/tubelib2/internal2.lua:307: in function 'del_tube_dir'
2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]:       ~/.minetest/mods/tubelib2/internal1.lua:159: in function 'update_after_dig_node'
2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]:       ~/.minetest/mods/tubelib2/tube_api.lua:179: in function 'after_dig_node'
2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]:       ~/.minetest/mods/Minetest-Hyperloop/junction.lua:57: in function 'after_dig_node'
2019-01-02 22:26:58: ERROR[Main]:       ~/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/item.lua:613: in function </home/martijn/minetest/bin/../builtin/game/item.lua:538>

Probably you weren't counting on lazy people using worldedit :-)

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

wziard wrote:How do you call the elevator if it's at the other end? I tried clicking on the button outside, but the doors remain closed.
You first have to open the doors by clicking on them. Then, you can use the button to start the elevator.
wziard wrote: Also, I created a *long* tube using worldedit, but it won't hook up. Is there some way I can make it re-evaluate it's connections?
edit: woops. and now I got a crash:
You should update tubelib2, this bug should be fixed.
To "reanimate" a worldedit build tube connection, use the crowbar (right click).
But take care that you tube connection is not longer than 1000 blocks, use station or junction block in between and use the crowbar for each segment. For longer connections I recommend the WiFi tubes.
wziard wrote: Probably you weren't counting on lazy people using worldedit :-)
No, this was one request for v2.

wziard

by wziard » Post

joe7575 wrote: You first have to open the doors by clicking on them. Then, you can use the button to start the elevator.
I click till my mouse gets hot :-). But the doors won't open.
joe7575 wrote: You should update tubelib2, this bug should be fixed.
The crash still happens with the newest tubelib2 & hyperloop (pulled just 10 minutes ago)

joe7575 wrote: To "reanimate" a worldedit build tube connection, use the crowbar (right click).
But take care that you tube connection is not longer than 1000 blocks, use station or junction block in between and use
hm, I can't get it to work. Sometimes I get a sound, and a text that says : connected 0 blocks to the east and 1 block to the west. (paraphrased). some blocks don't give a sound at all and don't react to the crowbar.

I tried using both hyperloop:tubeS and hyperloop tubeS2. create a tube of 500 long, put a junction on both ends. then right click with the crowbar. Sometimes it connects to the closest junction, but not to the other side.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

Create long pipe with worldedit set_nodes
Now I got it, this will not work.
All nodes are connected like a chain (double linked list) by means of node data 'param2'.
If you build it by set_nodes, the complete information will be missing.
Remove the nodes again and use the WiFi blocks to bridge the long distance.
Or place some tubes by hand and then use the worldedit stack function to longer the tube line.
But then in addition you have to use the crowbar to "repair" the interfaces.
I click till my mouse gets hot :-). But the doors won't open.
Did you build the elevator shaft in the same way?
Then the same is true for the elevator shaft.

wziard

by wziard » Post

joe7575 wrote: Now I got it, this will not work.
All nodes are connected like a chain (double linked list) by means of node data 'param2'.
If you build it by set_nodes, the complete information will be missing.
Ah, that explains. It would be nice if there was a command to fixup the list.
/fixuphyperlooptupe <coord1> <coord2> or something like that, which would add the linked list info.

Also it might be nice to make it so that the server won't crash if you delete a junction from a tube created in this way.
joe7575 wrote: Remove the nodes again and use the WiFi blocks to bridge the long distance.
I really like the tube to be visible. Though I could cheat the system by adding a tube using setnodes for purely decorative purposes between the wifi blocks :-)
Or place some tubes by hand and then use the worldedit stack function to longer the tube line.
But then in addition you have to use the crowbar to "repair" the interfaces.
I'll try this.

Did you build the elevator shaft in the same way?
Then the same is true for the elevator shaft.
No, I built them by hand. Should it be punch or use? Maybe I need to have an empty hand? I'll experiment some more.

edit:
built them again, and it seems to work now. Could it be a weird interaction with protection_block ?
Also, using stacking to build the network it now does connect \o/ Very nice. Still some rough edges here and there, but once it's set up is't a nice transportation mod.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

wziard wrote: Ah, that explains. It would be nice if there was a command to fixup the list.
/fixuphyperlooptupe <coord1> <coord2> or something like that, which would add the linked list info.

Yes, I will try that.
wziard wrote:Also it might be nice to make it so that the server won't crash if you delete a junction from a tube created in this way.
Sure, I will fix that.
wziard wrote:edit:
built them again, and it seems to work now. Could it be a weird interaction with protection_block ?
Also, using stacking to build the network it now does connect \o/ Very nice. Still some rough edges here and there, but once it's set up is't a nice transportation mod.
Nice to hear.
If you find further glitches, please let me know.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

It would be nice if there was a command to fixup the list....
Also it might be nice to make it so that the server won't crash if you delete a junction from a tube created in this way.
I fixed the bug in tubelib2 and added the chat command /hyperloop_repair_tubes.
The command has no parameters, it will reuse pos1/pos2 from WorldEdit.
Give it a try.

wziard

by wziard » Post

I'll see if I can try it in a test world this weekend.