[Mod] Fireflies [fireflies]

Shara
GitHub: ezhh
IRC: Shara

[Mod] Fireflies [fireflies]

by Shara » Post

The mod adds fireflies, a net to catch them with, and bottled fireflies which act as light sources.

Please note that fireflies only appear on the map during initial mapgen, so if adding this mod to an existing map they will only appear in areas that have not previously been visited.

Fireflies was created for use with the Hidden Worlds subgame which I'm currently working on. This mod is an adapted, MTG compatible, version which will be maintained separately and may or may not end up with all the same features.

In game:

UPDATE: The fireflies mod has now been added to Minetest Game. I will continue to maintain this version of the mod separately in order to test adjustments that may (or may not) become later additions to the Minetest Game version.

Download: https://github.com/Ezhh/fireflies/archive/master.zip

Source: https://github.com/Ezhh/fireflies

Compatibility: This mod was written with current dev, not 0.4.16 stable in mind. It will work and be fully functional in 0.4.16 stable; however, the fireflies will only spawn at one height instead of at varied heights.

Depends on: default, vessels

License: The code for this mod is released under MIT (https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT). See license.txt in the mod for texture licenses.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [Mod] Fireflies [fireflies]

by ExeterDad » Post

/me faints!
So nice!

AleksSyntek
GitHub: AleksSyntek
IRC: Aleks
In-game: Aleks

by AleksSyntek » Post

Nice mod! Remembers me when see it around the backyard of my former house in the summer nights. Downloaded.
Crash happens.

cx384
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Post

Uh, nice I like the old idea of fireflies.
Next step: iron apple mod.
Can your read this?

Shara

by Shara » Post

I never got to see the old ones, and only found out there used to be fireflies after I started work on this. I made them because I realised the marshlands biome I'm working on for my subgame was missing something.

The fireflies in their original, non-MTG, (and still very unfinished) environment:

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Maybe only have fireflies spawn near grass?
What is SCP-055?

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

brilliant
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

Shara

by Shara » Post

Chem871 wrote:Maybe only have fireflies spawn near grass?
The MTG friendly version (this version of the mod) has them spawn in forest/jungle biomes.

The marshland won't be published anywhere public for a while since it still needs a lot of work. I'm still undecided on whether to cluster fireflies around grass there. There is so much grass anyway that it doesn't feel very needed at the moment, but since I'm still adjusting the mapgen it might change.

Shara

by Shara » Post

Some updates:
  • Fireflies can now be released from bottles (right-click them).
  • Added some protection checks.
  • Bug net now wears on use.
  • You can now walk through bottles (for consistency with vessels mod).
  • Small light level adjustments.
  • Liquids now kill fireflies (make them drop as items).
  • Fireflies appearing on mapgen now fly slightly higher.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

very nice! there was an old and still working mod that did same with ABMs alongside adding golwing worms... nice to see a revive of fireflies!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Shara

by Shara » Post

Thank you - and thankfully no ABMs needed here. There's now a chance this will get added to MTG (partly due to how light it is to run).

I've also made some adjustments to the textures - all smaller sizes and the bug net is now blue instead of red (so players can easily tell it apart from the mobs_redo net).

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Shara wrote:Some updates:
  • Fireflies can now be released from bottles (right-click them).
  • Added some protection checks.
  • Bug net now wears on use.
  • You can now walk through bottles (for consistency with vessels mod).
  • Small light level adjustments.
  • Liquids now kill fireflies (make them drop as items).
  • Fireflies appearing on mapgen now fly slightly higher.
Thanks for all your work!

R

Shara

by Shara » Post

This mod has now been added to MTG but, so people know, I will be maintaining this version separately with the aim of testing out changes that may (or may not) eventually get added to the MTG version as well.

With that said - most people should now stick with the MTG version. :)

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Shara wrote:This mod has now been added to MTG but, so people know, I will be maintaining this version separately with the aim of testing out changes that may (or may not) eventually get added to the MTG version as well.

With that said - most people should now stick with the MTG version. :)
Who said anyone wanted to stick with MT Game in the first place? Frankly, another random feature being added to MT Game is making me dislike it even more. I'm glad you're still going to maintain this.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Shara

by Shara » Post

v-rob wrote: Who said anyone wanted to stick with MT Game in the first place? Frankly, another random feature being added to MT Game is making me dislike it even more. I'm glad you're still going to maintain this.
Huh?

So you dislike this being added to MTG, but do want me maintaining it? I'm not sure that I understand this at all.

Either way, the addition of fireflies to MTG isn't random, and it's a separate mod you can easily just delete the directory for if you don't like it.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Shara, i think he means *to maintain fireflies*.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Shara wrote:
v-rob wrote: Who said anyone wanted to stick with MT Game in the first place? Frankly, another random feature being added to MT Game is making me dislike it even more. I'm glad you're still going to maintain this.
Huh?

So you dislike this being added to MTG, but do want me maintaining it? I'm not sure that I understand this at all.

Either way, the addition of fireflies to MTG isn't random, and it's a separate mod you can easily just delete the directory for if you don't like it.
I like mods maintained outside of MT Game because they usually end up better than the version that's been merged into MT Game. Plus, I just don't like MT Game.

Shara

by Shara » Post

This mod was originally created for another sub-game, and I made this (the MTG compatible version) available specifically by request. I didn't think it would be suggested for inclusion in MTG, but it was and I had no objections to that. The process of having it included has actually caused me to tidy up my code and make some improvements, as well as to consider a few extra things I'd like to try.

If you want to dislike MTG more because this mod got added, I'm sorry, but everyone who commented in the issue and the PR on Github, as well as over IRC, was favourable. Keeping in mind that most complaints I've ever heard about MTG involve it having too little content, I would like to think I did something good for the game. If you feel otherwise, maybe start watching Github issues and PRs and say something next time a mod you don't want included is being considered.

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

You should post news regarding your inclusion into the minetest members group.

Shara

by Shara » Post

jas wrote:You should post news regarding your inclusion into the minetest members group.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but never seen that done before, so it would be quite weird. (This is also a bit off topic for a mod thread, maybe.)

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Actually, the problem I have with MT Game is that it has too much useless content and not enough interesting and good content. It's mostly bunches of blocks and more blocks plus a few blocks and a few extra more blocks. Add a furnace, chests, and a few other things, and you get MT Game. Fireflies are good for it, but MT Game is beyond hope unless it gets a total rebase or most of the blocks are removed (Honestly, less blocks are better, in my opinion. Try out Minetest 0.3.0). I'm not saying I don't like the fireflies; I just don't like MT Game, and the fireflies aren't making it any better.

That being said, I think we should let this drop as it's getting offtopic for this thread. And plus, I'm starting to sound a little like Wuzzy ;-)

Shara

by Shara » Post

Hah, just as a closing note then - don't worry; I have my own issues with MTG and that's a big part of why I agreed to help out there. I certainly don't expect this one mod to magically fix the game and I don't know how much real difference I can make in the end, but until we have alternative official subgames, it seems worth the attempt.

For my separate version of the mod - I'm pretty busy this week, but hoping to start looking at updating again soon.

runs

by runs » Post

I love fireflies. And I love this being added to the default Mine-game.

:-)