[Mod] BlockProtectNodes [2020-03-30][blockprotectnodes]

AlexYst
GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

Re: [Mod] BlockProtectNodes [2018-07-12][blockprotectnodes]

by AlexYst » Post

amadin wrote:Is that mod the same viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9035 ? Still no one protection mod which protect default minetest chest and doors.
No, this mod isn't the same as that other one. Based on the fact that that other mod's claim areas are larger, I'm going to say it likely doesn't store the protection data in the map like this one does, but instead stores it in a separate database.

As for protecting doors and chests, different nodes define whether they get protected or not. For example, much to my annoyance, the default furnaces allow themselves to be protected, as do beds. Public furnace rooms and guest rooms are thus no longer possible. Unlocked chests and wooden doors, on the other hand, don't respond to protection. This is good though. If you want protected doors and chests, use steel doors and locked chests. Because wooden doors aren't protected, you can allow other players access to your build by using wooden doors. Unlocked chests allow you to have public item exchange chests, such as are present on some servers near the spawn area.

amadin

by amadin » Post

d
Last edited by amadin on Wed May 26, 2021 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

amadin wrote:
AlexYst wrote: No, this mod isn't the same as that other one. Based on the fact that that other mod's claim areas are larger, I'm going to say it likely doesn't store the protection data in the map like this one does, but instead stores it in a separate database.

If you want protected doors and chests, use steel doors and locked chests. Because wooden doors aren't protected, you can allow other players access to your build by using wooden doors. Unlocked chests allow you to have public item exchange chests, such as are present on some servers near the spawn area.
steel doors and locked chests need keys for sharing to other players, i think it is bad idea with keys (players sometimes die, owner can have many locked chests in different places, locked items is anachronism because now we have protector mods). you can allow other players access to your build by using opened protected doors (or protection mod can protect only steel door). Unlocked chests are always empty.

My notes about mod if you have an interest:
- After placing protector i not see it area automatically
- I not like not transparent protector block, i not understand why it so big and why it need
If you want steel doors, wooden doors, locked chests, or unlocked chests to be protected, that's a change that needs to be made in Minetest Game's default and doors mods. Each node defines what its own protected actions are. This mod only provides a way to say what's protected and not, it doesn't define what actions are protected and not. If it did, furnaces and beds certainly wouldn't be protected. I don't like having them blocked from use by guests.

Keys do have some issues. Personally, I'd like if the key's description included coordinates. Including only the owner's name and type of node doesn't make it easy to sort your keys or know what they do if they get mixed up. This mod uses keys though to be consistent with the rest of Minetest Game. If you've got a better system that would fit in with Minetest Game just as well, I'd love other options to consider. As for keys used on steel door and locked chests, that again is defined by Minetest Game's default and doors mods. I have no control over that from this mod.

Are you wanting the protected area to become visible as soon as you place a protection node? Done. Upgrade to the latest version and that change will be in place.

I'm not understanding your final note. Are you wanting the protection node to be invisible? If so, that's not this mod. You may be wanting something more similar to Landrush instead.

amadin

by amadin » Post

If you want steel doors, wooden doors, locked chests, or unlocked chests to be protected, that's a change that needs to be made in Minetest Game's default and doors mods.
We have minetest.override_item https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.override_item
Are you wanting the protected area to become visible as soon as you place a protection node? Done. Upgrade to the latest version and that change will be in place.
Thank you.
I'm not understanding your final note. Are you wanting the protection node to be invisible? If so, that's not this mod. You may be wanting something more similar to Landrush instead.
I mean something like claim tool from simple_protection (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9035) or "Protection Logo" from Protector Redo mod (Less noticeable as much as possible, so as not to spoil the landscape and design of buildings).

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

AlexYst wrote:Particles won't work for players with particles disabled. I, for one, find digging particles to be *incredibly* annoying, so I disabled them in my client. Particles for something like this wouldn't be annoying at all, but as far as I know, there's no way to selectively disable particles, and even if there was, some other player might disable all particles. Something visible to any player regardless of their settings would be better.
Just one more argument for using particles: To my knowledge there's no way of showing an entity to a certain player only, while particles can be shown to an individual player since they are client-side. This would also make the visualization even easier on the server.

AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

amadin wrote:
If you want steel doors, wooden doors, locked chests, or unlocked chests to be protected, that's a change that needs to be made in Minetest Game's default and doors mods.
We have minetest.override_item https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.override_item
Sure, we have minetest.override_item(). Am I supposed to override every item that handles it's protection in a bizarre way? That's outside the scope of this mod. Besides, I can't account for every mod on the forums. I'd have to selectively choose items, such as just the Minetest Game doors and locked chests. It'd be inconsistent. If it's not a change made in the mods that define those items, perhaps it should be done in a mod separate from both Minetest Game's mods and this mod. If you'd like, I could build that for you. I'd need a bit of clarification though. My understanding is that you'd want this mod to cause wooden doors and unlocked chests to only allow people with protection rights in the area to use them?
amadin wrote:
I mean something like claim tool from simple_protection (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9035) or "Protection Logo" from Protector Redo mod (Less noticeable as much as possible, so as not to spoil the landscape and design of buildings).
Ah, I see what you mean. If the claim tool is what I'm thinking it is, it wouldn't be compatible with this mod's functionality. The protector logo would very much be possible though. Hmm. I'll have to think about this. I like the node being solid; I can build it into the wall or floor. It might be better to make it a mere patch like those protector logos though.
texmex wrote:
AlexYst wrote:Particles won't work for players with particles disabled. I, for one, find digging particles to be *incredibly* annoying, so I disabled them in my client. Particles for something like this wouldn't be annoying at all, but as far as I know, there's no way to selectively disable particles, and even if there was, some other player might disable all particles. Something visible to any player regardless of their settings would be better.
Just one more argument for using particles: To my knowledge there's no way of showing an entity to a certain player only, while particles can be shown to an individual player since they are client-side. This would also make the visualization even easier on the server.
You make a *very* convincing argument. However, I find digging particles to be insufferable. I'd downgrade to an older version of the game or quit altogether if there wasn't a way to disable them in the client. There doesn't seem to be a way to enable non-digging particles without also enabling digging particles, either. If there was, I'd probably take your advice.

Specifically, digging particles are the main problem. If we had a way to use particles without requiring digging particles to be enabled, particles would be a usable tool.

amadin

by amadin » Post

Last edited by amadin on Wed May 26, 2021 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

amadin wrote:
If you'd like, I could build that for you. I'd need a bit of clarification though. My understanding is that you'd want this mod to cause wooden doors and unlocked chests to only allow people with protection rights in the area to use them?
Yes, but not need do this only for me, i can do it by myself (https://notabug.org/Amadin/protector/sr ... est.lua#L5 Protector Redo for MineClone2), i just mean you can do this mod more difference from Protector Redo and Simple Protection mods.
I can write separate mod which will just override on_rightclick function for chest and door with

Code: Select all

if minetest.is_protected
. Do you think this is more right?
Yeah, I think it's more right to have it as a separate mod, as it adds an unexpected change to how protection works.

Chiantos

Re: [Mod] BlockProtectNodes [2018-07-30][blockprotectnodes]

by Chiantos » Post

Deleted message
Last edited by Chiantos on Mon Sep 30, 2019 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

AlexYst wrote:
amadin wrote:
Ah, I see what you mean. If the claim tool is what I'm thinking it is, it wouldn't be compatible with this mod's functionality. The protector logo would very much be possible though. Hmm. I'll have to think about this. I like the node being solid; I can build it into the wall or floor. It might be better to make it a mere patch like those protector logos though.
I've thought about it, and I don't think that's the direction I want to take this mod. The protection logo should theoretically be wall-mounted, so if the wall it's attached to is taken away, the protection logo drops. However, that's bad behaviour for the node that would be protecting your build. We could leave out the wall-mounted behaviour, but it'd be really weird to have the floating protection logos that would be lying around.
Chiantos wrote:Hello,

This work, can you add Colors or textures compability ?

For use this block with dyes, can i use mod for color this node ?

Good Day.
Per-node texture support isn't offered by the engine, so I can't do that. I've considered on several occasions making the node dyable though. It'll take some time, just because I'm pretty busy. The main time consumption would go into designing a new texture for the node. My original thoughts were to just make the gem in the middle dyable, but if the whole node changed colour, it'd not only save FPS, but also allow the node to blend into more builds. A new texture would definitely be needed to make dying the whole node look good though.