[Mod] Renew [2018-06-17][renew]

AlexYst

GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

[Mod] Renew [2018-06-17][renew]

by AlexYst » Sat Mar 17, 2018 09:38

This mod mainly adds renewal mechanics for normally-non-renewable items in from Minetest Game. However, in the process of doing that, it adds two nodes that change gameplay a bit.

First up, compost. Compost is crafted from any nine leaf nodes. Any leaf node will work for this, not just "leaves" (apple leaves). It looks mostly like dirt, but is a bit ugly. It'll convert to a spreading dirt type if a spreading dirt type is nearby (such as dirt with grass, dirt with snow, et cetera) and the top is unobstructed, or it'll convert to plain dirt if a small plant or mushroom is growing on it but no spreading dirt type nodes are nearby. (Small plants and fungi like this aren't considered to obstruct the node, so the spreading dirt type takes precedence.)

Next, we have the node that causes the biggest change to gameplay: obsidian ore. Full obsidian nodes are no longer spawned by cooling lava, and obsidian must be mined from the ground like any other ore. I have a feeling many people won't want this mod specifically because of this change, but it balances out the new lava behaviour provided by this mod very well. Besides, I like the obsidian *much* better as an ore. Obsidian spawns at the same altitudes and with the same frequencies as diamond, making it one of the two rarest ores available. Obsidian ore drops obsidian fragments, so once you mine nine, you can craft them into blocks just like you'd craft diamonds or mese into blocks. Or you can smelt the fragments into obsidian glass. It's really up to you.

Speaking of new lava behaviour, lava is restored to regenerate in the same way water does, by placing two lava nodes adjacent to an empty space. This is the behaviour lava had before the obsidian nodes were added to the game. When cooled to stone, lava has a chance of an ore spawning in it. The probability of an ore spawning is identical to the probability of an ore spawning during map generation, making it elevation-dependant. For example, if you cool lava at thirty meters above sea level, you'll never see any ores in it.

Clay can be crafted from dirt, sand (any type from Minetest Game; once preserved ingredients are implemented in the engine, I can change this to use anything in the sand group), a bucket of sea water, and two iron lumps. The bucket is returned to you and you get eight clay lumps.

Coral very slowly spreads now. However, if you kill all of it off in an area, it doesn't come back easily. Eventually, new coral will form, but if you're looking to get coral (relatively) quickly, you'll want to leave some alive so it can propagate better. Coral growth is disabled in v6 maps due to v6 maps not including natural coral generation. (Due to a bug, older versions of this mod *may* cause coral to spawn in v6 maps, but this has been fixed in newer versions.)

Speaking of life spreading, water lilies now spread as well. Why don't they spread by default? They are literally the only plant in Minetest Game 0.4.16 that doesn't either self-propagate, drop seeds/saplings to allow the player to perform propagation, or (in the case of dry shrubs) get propagated by other plants.

When mining stone, it always degrades into cobble. When mining cobble, it sometimes further degrades into gravel, with some silver sand left over. Obviously, mining gravel sometimes causes it to degrade into flint, as before.

If snow blocks are left near water of any sort, they'll eventually freeze further and become ice.

A bucket of sea water can be filtered to create fresh water (river water). To do this, craft a bucket of water, a gravel node, a sand node (any type) and an empty bucket. The gravel and sand are returned to you and the bucket of water becomes a new empty bucket. However, river water only exists in worlds using the valleys map generator, so this recipe is only enabled for those worlds.

Four silver sand can be crafted with one iron lump to give it that reddish desert colour. Eight silver sand can be crafted with one iron lump to get that mid-tone "regular" sand colour. Four mid-tone sand can be crafted with an iron lump to get desert sand. Silver sand and desert sand can be crafted together to make mid-tone sand as well. Desert sandstone can be smelted into desert stone, while silver sandstone can be smelted into grey stone.

Code license: GNU LGPL 2.1+
Resource license: CC BY-SA 3.0
Mod dependencies: default and flowers, both from Minetest Game

Download: <https://notabug.org/y.st./renew/archive/master.zip>
Repository: <https://notabug.org/y.st./renew>
Attachments
screenshot_20180315_173228.png
Compost, next to dirt
(253.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_20180315_083402.png
Obsidian ore
(134.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by AlexYst on Sun Jun 17, 2018 23:16, edited 7 times in total.

RSLRedstonier

GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

Re: [Mod] Renew [2018-03-17][renew]

by RSLRedstonier » Sat Mar 17, 2018 14:13

I like this
would be great for really large/old servers that have few resources left
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568

AlexYst

GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

Re: [Mod] Renew [2018-03-17][renew]

by AlexYst » Mon Apr 02, 2018 16:15

It's my hope that this mod will prevent such dried-up worlds from coming to exist to begin with, but rejuvenating an old with this mod should be possible as well. The main issue is lava and obsidian. If the lava has already been consumed, there's no way to get it back. And the obsidian ores won't generate in older map chunks if the mod is added later in the world's lifetime.

I've now fixed the sand and desert stone renewal mechanics; see above. With that done, the grinder has been removed from the mod. I've saved a copy of the code for it though, so if there's any demand for the grinder, I'll release it as a separate mod. For now though, I'll wait because of another project I'm working on.

Return to Mod Releases