[Mod] Lumberjack [lumberjack]

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

[Mod] Lumberjack [lumberjack]

by joe7575 » Post

A Mod for tree harvesting and planting!

This mod fulfils several aspects:
  • New players are trained to always fell trees completely and replace them with saplings (education for sustainability)
  • Trained players get lumberjack "skills" to fell trees more efficiently (based on ideas from TreeCapitator and several Timber mods)
  • No parts of trees hanging in the air any more

GitHub: https://github.com/joe7575/lumberjack
Download: https://github.com/joe7575/lumberjack/a ... master.zip

This mod allows to completely fell trees by destroying only one block. The whole tree is harvested and moved to the players inventory. But therefore some lumberjack skills are needed. New player normally will not get the necessary skills immediately, they have to harvest the tree from the top, block by block "to improve their skills".
To simplify the climbing, the mod allows to hit steps into the tree (ladder function)

In order to be able to fell a tree with one fell swoop, you need 0 "lumberjack points".
Every player starts by default with 400 lumberjack points.
For a singleplayer world, there are three ways to get 0 lumberjack points:

1. The hard way

Harvest more then 400 tree blocks and plant more than 66 saplings to get
lumberjack skills. To check your lumberjack points, enter the chat command: /lumberjack
To get your first axe, you can harvest bush stems, put them into crafting and get wood. So looking for blueberry bush and the likes. 4 bushes are sufficient (1 for sticks, 3 for regular planks to make the axe).

2. The change settings way

- Go into the "All Settings" Menu > Mods > lumberjack
- Set "lumberjack_points" to 0 (zero)

3. The command line way

You have to grant server privs to be able to set your lumberjack_points to zero.
Enter both chat commands:

Code: Select all

/grantme server
/set_lumberjack_points singleplayer 0
Hint: The lumberjack mod only works for trees from the mods default (MTG), moretrees,
toolranks, and ethereal.
Special adjustments are necessary for other games/mods.

Dependencies
optional: moretrees, ethereal, default

License
Copyright (C) 2018-2022 Joachim Stolberg
Code: Licensed under the GNU LGPL version 2.1 or later. See LICENSE.txt and http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.txt
Sound is taken from Hybrid Dog (TreeCapitator)
Last edited by joe7575 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 08:00, edited 5 times in total.
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

hajo

Re: [Mod] Lumberjack [lumberjack]

by hajo » Post

joe7575 wrote:New player .. have to harvest the tree from the top
Really? I usually start at the ground, and work my way to the top.

AlexYst
GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

hajo wrote:
joe7575 wrote:New player .. have to harvest the tree from the top
Really? I usually start at the ground, and work my way to the top.
For short trees, I sometimes harvest from the bottom, but only after clearing all the leaf nodes. For taller trees, it's easier to start at the top. Also, I think the purpose of doing it from the top in this mod is to prevent the floating logs some players leave.

This is a pretty cool idea! It causes trees to be treated similar to papyrus in how they're dug.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Very good idea. Tree logs hanging in the air are very annoying, and motivating players to dig the entire tree is highly welcome. I hope it doesn't really matter in which direction the tree is cut? I usually start from the bottom. If the tree is higher than what I can reach, temporal piles of dirt or leaves placed where the trunks had been help to get the upper parts.
A list of my mods can be found here.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

hajo wrote:Really? I usually start at the ground, and work my way to the top.
Yes, me too!
But who cares about server rules?
This mod prevents having forests on your server looking like this:

Since I have installed the "top-down approach mod", this problem is gone.
You have to go into discussion with players asking, why this awkward way?
But at the end they will be rewarded and you will have blooming forests :D
Attachments
bottom_up.png
bottom_up.png (531.61 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

If you really want a top-down approach for trees - how about adding a special axe that allows to dig tiny holes in the trunk and climb up using them? There's a mod somewhere on the forum that allows to do this with stone cliffs. Maybe you could allow all axes to act that way. If it's not the topmost tree node, add a non-diggable ladder (which looks like holes) instead of digging the tree block. If it's the topmost node, dig it normally with the axe. Be sure to distinguish between trees placed by mapgen or grown from saplings and tree logs placed by people who are trying to build a house. The later ones might get quite annoyed if they can't really use tree logs for building anymore.

Half-cut trees are a huge annoyance on servers, so I hope your mod will get used.
A list of my mods can be found here.

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Sokomine wrote:...how about adding a special axe that allows to dig tiny holes in the trunk and climb up using them? There's a mod somewhere on the forum that allows to do this with stone cliffs. Maybe you could allow all axes to act that way.
[handholds]
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

joe7575 wrote: ----8<----
* the Ethereal mod is already supported, others will follow
---->8----
yay - and now challenge More-Trees and all the others of this List: https://wiki.minetest.net/Mods:Nature and those in the australia mod and those in LOTT and ...
;-P

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

Sokomine wrote:If you really want a top-down approach for trees - how about adding a special axe that allows to dig tiny holes in the trunk and climb up using them? There's a mod somewhere on the forum that allows to do this with stone cliffs. Maybe you could allow all axes to act that way. If it's not the topmost tree node, add a non-diggable ladder (which looks like holes) instead of digging the tree block. If it's the topmost node, dig it normally with the axe.
Very good idea, thanks. It will try it.
Sokomine wrote:Be sure to distinguish between trees placed by mapgen or grown from saplings and tree logs placed by people who are trying to build a house. The later ones might get quite annoyed if they can't really use tree logs for building anymore.
That's already the case and works for all supported trees, so far.
twoelk wrote:yay - and now challenge More-Trees and all the others of this List: ...
The question is how many public server use all this "nature" mods?
However, the mod provides a function to register further trees:

lumberjack.register_tree(tree_name, sapling_name, radius, stem_height_min)

maxx
GitHub: maxhipp
In-game: maxx or max

by maxx » Post

really nice!
nice tool for big projects...
Stay safe! | Don't forget the planet

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

v0.5 is on GitHub
It allows to hit steps into the tree and climb to the top.
But you have to use some kind of axe.

Edit: changed to v0.5

Midnight Sapphire

by Midnight Sapphire » Post

is this mineclone2 compatible

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Thanks for updating this and towercrane. I am going to give this mod a try this weekend. In my server, which is growing in popularity and use, I've been finding that a lot of players are leaving floating trees. So this mod may be a great fit for me. I will test it.

I like that it requires to start from the top and that there is a way to assist this behavior to incentivize players to do this.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

My initial test leaves me with a really good impression.

However, I could not seem to revoke the "lumberjack" priv from myself (admin) and had to use a testuser to test the normal pre-priv behavior of this mod.

I will test this with the df_trees mod in the dfcaverns modpack and see if it makes sense to add compatability to that, i suspect it does. I tried adding this myself but i could not figure out how your API will work because some of these don't have saplings and I'm not sure where to get the minimum stem distance from and the radius of the stems?
Here is the mod https://notabug.org/FreeGamers/Saras_Si ... s/df_trees

Seems quite good. I'm going to consider which way I should use it in my game then it will likely be included in the main server/game :)
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

This mod does not work with the screwdriver item, as you cannot rotate the tree blocks with it if this mod is installed.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

FreeGamers wrote:This mod does not work with the screwdriver item, as you cannot rotate the tree blocks with it if this mod is installed.
I fixed it. v0.6 is on GitHub and ContentDB

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Thanks! When I get home from work I'll check it out asap.

There was a player in my server who was trying to cut down a tree trunk that he used in his house, but he could not because there were others stacked atop of it. I was wondering if there was a way to avoid behavior like that. Maybe some sort of meta check or something to run on tree blocks if they have been placed by players?

Otherwise, I can't think of any other issues with this mod.

When I get home from work I'll update to the new version.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

Tree trunks places by players are marked as "hand-placed".
Unfortunately, this is not the case for trunks that were placed before the mod was installed.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Understandable. Regardless, that sounds perfect. Can't wait to try the update! :)

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

I like so much this mod, congratulations!
I was trying and I change the settingtypes to 50 but I do not turn a lumberjack. Did I something wrong?

Thank you!
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

luizsab, you have to set it either in your minetest.conf file or you have to set it in the init.lua itself to override the default. If you use the MT client you should be able to set it in the configure menu for the mod. Set it to 0 if you want it always be on.

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

Thank you, it works now! So to turn a lumberjack I need to dig trees from the top, catch the sapplings and to plant it, is right? Then if I set to 5 the lumberjack_points at minetest.conf it meanings that I have to get 5 trees? I didn't get any message advising when I turned lumberjack
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

joe7575

by joe7575 » Post

luizsab wrote:Thank you, it works now! So to turn a lumberjack I need to dig trees from the top, catch the sapplings and to plant it, is right? Then if I set to 5 the lumberjack_points at minetest.conf it meanings that I have to get 5 trees? I didn't get any message advising when I turned lumberjack
5 means that you dig 5 pieces of a tree and only have to plant one sapling. That's it.
There is a chat message when you get the lumberjack privileges, maybe you oversaw that?

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

Very good! I understand and I will use with my students, but the message really not shows.
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

racal

by racal » Post

I'd always use ladders (and/or other nodes) just to reach the topmost branch of a tree, then I learned about this mod. (Cutting/harvesting trees from the bottom does not feel right.)

Anyway, I can't seem to get this mod to work with sakura trees. Tried registering/adding sakura trunk and sapling via the API:

lumberjack.register_tree("ethereal:sakura_trunk", "ethereal:sakura_sapling", 1, 3)
Later on, I found out that the behavior is the same for all predefined ethereal trees, i.e. it does not allow me to "hit steps" into trees (using an axe) and proceeding will allow me to get the trunk from the bottom.

I'm using:
  • Minetest 5.2.0 (Linux)
  • latest ethereal and lumberjack mod versions
PS... TechPack mod (techpack) led me to this mod. :)